Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Ya, I forgot about the chlorine. Chlorine is no bueno.

I use filtered tap water only. I use an inline filter cartridge for outdoor hoses - removes chlorine.

:Namaste:

People...using the 'kit'. PLEASE DO NOT USE CITY TAP WATER!
It contains a lot of nasty stuff including chlorine and chloramine that will make it really tuff on the microbial population in our soil . And just in case anyone doesn't know....without these microbes..our soil is just worthless dirt!!!! So why make your grow even harder by handicapping yourself????? I have been preaching this for about 6 years now and i WILL NOT STOP! Do wat u will , but when you start having issues...dont ask me...cuz the first thing i'm gonna ask you ..is whats your water source?????? If i sound pissed off ...yup i am!!

150ppm is a bit high, but you're good. The best water is around 80, and you'll run into trouble with pH drift in the 3rd run, if your ppms are much over 200.

Tea isn't necessary with the newest amendment formula, but it doesn't hurt anything either. Sometimes I add it, don't know why - I just do. :)

:thumb:

[Edit] But you have to get rid of any chlorine! There are cheap inline cartridges that can remove the chlorine for you.

:Namaste:
It wasn't filtered, but it sat out for like a week in 3 gal. plastic jugs. I bet a large britti type filter would probably be perfect. Anyhow Graytail, thanks for the get back !! Today is cook day 1. Don't know if it's going inside or outside yet

People...using the 'kit'. PLEASE DO NOT USE CITY TAP WATER!
It contains a lot of nasty stuff including chlorine and chloramine that will make it really tuff on the microbial population in our soil . And just in case anyone doesn't know....without these microbes..our soil is just worthless dirt!!!! So why make your grow even harder by handicapping yourself????? I have been preaching this for about 6 years now and i WILL NOT STOP! Do wat u will , but when you start having issues...dont ask me...cuz the first thing i'm gonna ask you ..is whats your water source?????? If i sound pissed off ...yup i am!!
Well Mr. duggan , you being pissed will only get your blood pressure elevated . I've only read the 1st. 180 pages of this thread, and I don't remember anything being said by you about never to use tap water. and like I said, I asked this same question of Doc bud himself, just before purchasing the kit. And although I respect your knowledge as a grower, and would want you on my side, you being pissed, means nothing to me.
Having said that, I will try to use rain water in the future, or maybe melt the snow. I've been told that an ro system is not environmentally friendly.

The problem with most RO systems is that you get 3 gallons of waste water to every gallon of purified water you make. You can get better systems that recirculate the waste water and end up allowing you to get a 1:1ratio of RO:waste water. The chlorine and chloramine are the biggest issues with city water. Doc has mentioned being able to use waer under a certain PPM. If you are to use tap of any source you should check your PPMs regularly (of the water, and by regularly I mean every couple of months). Municipalities will change the way they treat water throughout the year and that can throw things off. Distilled or RO is really the easiest and most consistent route to go. If you have well water within the sweet spot though you are styling!

The problem with most RO systems is that you get 3 gallons of waste water to every gallon of purified water you make. You can get better systems that recirculate the waste water and end up allowing you to get a 1:1ratio of RO:waste water. The chlorine and chloramine are the biggest issues with city water. Doc has mentioned being able to use waer under a certain PPM. If you are to use tap of any source you should check your PPMs regularly (of the water, and by regularly I mean every couple of months). Municipalities will change the way they treat water throughout the year and that can throw things off. Distilled or RO is really the easiest and most consistent route to go. If you have well water within the sweet spot though you are styling!
I know you are right, sometimes mine will peek up to 175, for a few weeks. I rent, so ro is out, unless I use store bought ro or distilled water and I refuse to go that far. How about lake water or creek water ? Not that I look forward to transporting water. Thanks TGY !!

Hey Slow! First off, I don't think Duggan was pissed at you, I hope you didn't take it that way. Lugging water is a bit of a pain but it's worth it for awesome produce. If you can catch rain water that'll work. I don't think lake or creek water is good but could be wrong. If I am, I may change things up because I have a creek that runs through my property. I get spring water for free from a mountain spring and also have a spring closer to home where lots of people get their drinking water. I have 3 containers, two 7 gallons and one 6. I've been doing this for 3 years. At one point the local spring was closed and I wasn't getting to the mountain so I went to that big box store ending in mart and paid 37 cents per gallon. Whatever you decide, looking forward to watching your grow, let us know when you start a journal.

:passitleft:

Yes Yeti, agreed, distilled is easy , for me anyhow. I spend about 200 -250 on a grow from seed to harvest on my water. purchased in those clear plastic 5 gal. jugs. One ounce of produce pays for the water. I know they are getting the absolute best with distilled as the plants only get what i decide , nothing more. The shitty part is , of course carrying the jugs in and out of my truck, down the stairs etc. But...it still the easiest way to get consistency and purity.
Cheers eh.

Yes Yeti, agreed, distilled is easy , for me anyhow. I spend about 200 -250 on a grow from seed to harvest on my water. purchased in those clear plastic 5 gal. jugs. One ounce of produce pays for the water. I know they are getting the absolute best with distilled as the plants only get what i decide , nothing more. The shitty part is , of course carrying the jugs in and out of my truck, down the stairs etc. But...it still the easiest way to get consistency and purity.
Cheers eh.
Yeah lugging water is the biggest pain in the ass. I would love to have a tap that gave me super clean water ready to use but alas I do not. My well water is so hard it isn't even funny. One day I would like to have a home RO system but I do not care to strain my septic system with all of the waste water it would create.

Hey Slow! First off, I don't think Duggan was pissed at you, I hope you didn't take it that way. Lugging water is a bit of a pain but it's worth it for awesome produce. If you can catch rain water that'll work. I don't think lake or creek water is good but could be wrong. If I am, I may change things up because I have a creek that runs through my property. I get spring water for free from a mountain spring and also have a spring closer to home where lots of people get their drinking water. I have 3 containers, two 7 gallons and one 6. I've been doing this for 3 years. At one point the local spring was closed and I wasn't getting to the mountain so I went to that big box store ending in mart and paid 37 cents per gallon. Whatever you decide, looking forward to watching your grow, let us know when you start a journal.

I will let you know on this thread, when I start it. Don't know if I'll be able to grow this long winded sativa during june here. Soil will be ready on April 1st. And this 11-12 week strain, that I've been cloning for 6-8 months now, would finish right in the middle of out hot month, June. Get's to hot in grow room in June, and air conditioning is really expensive here. Understand that I live on a fixed income.

I will let you know on this thread, when I start it. Don't know if I'll be able to grow this long winded sativa during june here. Soil will be ready on April 1st. And this 11-12 week strain, that I've been cloning for 6-8 months now, would finish right in the middle of out hot month, June. Get's to hot in grow room in June, and air conditioning is really expensive here. Understand that I live on a fixed income.
And yes, I've found a spring, about 4 miles away. Just terrific !! I should have waited one more day, but O well !!

Good morning Puffer, Gray and friends. I have been in touch with doc over this whole water thing last night.
Everyone please take note.......the issue with our city tap water is not so much the chlorine , because it dissipates quite quickly when left to sit out a few days.....The issue is the chloramine..it needs to be removed before using it. Keep in mind there are other factors that make tap water undesirable also , like the other chemicals and solids that MAY be in that water . I hope this explains things somewhat better for members.
I would like to also add ...if leaving your tap water out , uncovered for at least 3 days, outside, critters will love to lay eggs etc in it, so be aware of that too. Cheers gang!...have a great Sat.
Oh ya...Puffer, glad you found that spring...:thumb:

Hi Doc, I contacted you through the retailer about shipping to the Virgin Islands. Got your response but it stripped your email address from the message. Can you PM me?

I love love love growing in your kit. You make me look like a genius! I have a farm in the "rainforest" and the soil here requires work, but finding you has pointed me in the right direction. Started with the idea of using Korean Natural Farming, but this makes more sense and I will get my soil tested to grow tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and all types of tropical fruits. Thank you for putting so much knowledge out there that allows one to leap over years of trial and error.

Hi Doc, I contacted you through the retailer about shipping to the Virgin Islands. Got your response but it stripped your email address from the message. Can you PM me?

I love love love growing in your kit. You make me look like a genius! I have a farm in the "rainforest" and the soil here requires work, but finding you has pointed me in the right direction. Started with the idea of using Korean Natural Farming, but this makes more sense and I will get my soil tested to grow tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and all types of tropical fruits. Thank you for putting so much knowledge out there that allows one to leap over years of trial and error.

Hi Brixgirl! Love to hear from more and more happy kit growers! I'm a little jealous of your location, I could use a little tropical heat right now. Just hoping the snow and ice will melt here soon. If you ever decide to start a journal of your grow, drop a link here so we can follow along.

Hi Brixgirl! Love to hear from more and more happy kit growers! I'm a little jealous of your location, I could use a little tropical heat right now. Just hoping the snow and ice will melt here soon. If you ever decide to start a journal of your grow, drop a link here so we can follow along.

Weanmeoff, moved here from CA by way of the Big Island (left before the volcanoes blew near my neighborhood), and growing in the tropics has almost no relation to the information available online unless it's indoors. The weather here is pretty glorious, not as wet as Hawaii, so I do a hybrid grow, start and veg indoors and move the plants outdoor for flowering. Until I found Doc, it was a constant fight with leaf septoria, mold, and bugs. It's simply amazing that the only bugs that the plants attract are wasps and spiders! Can't wait to start growing food in the same way!

High brixgirl! :welcome: Welcome to 420 Mag land.

I hope you run a journal so we can all enjoy your garden and locale.

:ganjamon:shout out if you need anything

Back
Top Bottom