Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I might be reading this wrong but it sounds like you have 2 kits of soil but should have 4. Can you show us pic of your totes? Not sure the wood is needed...? My totes are 27 gallons so 1 kit fits in 2 totes.

Are your pro mix bales 3.8 cu ft? I would love 4 bales for 100! I pay twice that.
They are 55 gallon HDX totes I bought from the orange store. Yes my bales are 3.8 cu ft. I have four of them full so not sure were you got that I have two kits. Guess it's the way I wrote my saga.

They are 55 gallon HDX totes I bought from the orange store. Yes my bales are 3.8 cu ft. I have four of them full so not sure were you got that I have two kits. Guess it's the way I wrote my saga.

Nope, you're all good. I didn't know your totes were that big. I also think I missed where you said you repeated it 2 more times.

I'll let someone else speak to shelf life of the soil but think it will last pretty long. How many plants do you grow at a time and what size pots do you use?

Fixed My Soil

Ok here's how I did it and how it went. Grow cost for three bails of pro mix hp was 97dollars. They sell four bails for 100dollars so I ended up with an extra bail of pro mix. I took the over fed original mixed soil put out a tarp and made three equal piles. Then I took one bail of pro mix 25 pounds ewc added five gallons of water. Mixed that up real good then I added 1 of the 3 piles of dirt from the original batch and mixed it all together. Repeated that two more times. Now I've got 4 totes full of first run soil cooking. Few questions. What's the shelf life of cooked soil? I noticed on the original batch of soil I screwed up on when I started to separate the soil into the three separate piles that the top of the soil looked dry. As soon as I started moving the soil from the top it look a lot darker which i took as the dirt was indeed moist. Is that a good gauge to determine if my soil is moist enough. Dig down 1/2 inch and see if the soil is darker? Duggan told me to make sure the lids are loosely on so the mixture can breathe. The lids on the totes I bought close tightly so I duck taped 1/2 inch short pieces of wood on the containers so the dirt can breathe. Does that sound ok. Wanna make sure the last thing I do is screw up another batch of dirt..... any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The Bulk kit is for 4 bales of Promix.....and it looks like you've got 4 bales.....and sounds like you were careful and thorough in mixing......

So, I'd say you're great! And yes, you do want the containers to breath a bit.....not open to the outside air, but you definitely want them to be able to vent.

Yes it is pro mix hp with mycorrihizea. Got it from a grow shop in my city.
That’s a nice deal. High 80’s per bail is what I can find right now. Sucks! I know others pay even more than that though.

Oh yea I will have eight plants in the flower room. The next eight plants are in 2 gal pots right now. Will up pot when they go into the flower room to five and seven gal clothe pots. Then I'm going for four plants harvested every month. Although I am buying so.e seeds that are ten week flowering time so that's going to throw things off a bit.
This is how I'm planning on harvesting every four or five weeks. 2 weeks in solo cups. Up potted to one gallon pots for thirty days. Up potted to two gallon pots for thirty days. Pick the best four plants and up pot them into ten gallon pots. Then they go into my pre flower room and will veg for two weeks. I will switch light to 12/12 for two weeks. Then they will be moved to the flower room. Stretch should be over and those four plants are on an eight week countdown. I will start seedlings/clones every two weeks to accomplish this schedule. If my math is right it should work out just perfect. At least I hope so....

Having that much soil on hand will make for easy transitions when you have to start to cook second run soil. You will still have plenty to work with while the rest is cooking.

Holy crap that's a lot of money per bail. Wonder why it's so cheap in my neck of the woods. I'm in Ohio
A good chunk of it is shipping I’m sure. They jack the price up and say free shipping. Lol. Nearest grow shop to me is over an hour away and I’m not sure they carry it. Might look into it the next time I need some.

Oh yea I will have eight plants in the flower room. The next eight plants are in 2 gal pots right now. Will up pot when they go into the flower room to five and seven gal clothe pots. Then I'm going for four plants harvested every month. Although I am buying so.e seeds that are ten week flowering time so that's going to throw things off a bit.
This is how I'm planning on harvesting every four or five weeks. 2 weeks in solo cups. Up potted to one gallon pots for thirty days. Up potted to two gallon pots for thirty days. Pick the best four plants and up pot them into ten gallon pots. Then they go into my pre flower room and will veg for two weeks. I will switch light to 12/12 for two weeks. Then they will be moved to the flower room. Stretch should be over and those four plants are on an eight week countdown. I will start seedlings/clones every two weeks to accomplish this schedule. If my math is right it should work out just perfect. At least I hope so....

Sounds like a great plan and sounds to me like you e been doing this for a while! I'm sure you know schedules and pot plants don't always work as planned so we roll will the punches. One bit of advice when using the kit is to ditch the solo cups and start in 1s but maybe you have space restrictions or something....? Using solos is 1 more transplant which can disturb your roots and there is lots of goodness in the 1 to get you through to up can to finals. I know there are many ways to skin this cat . Meow. Did you say Meow?

A few things:

1. I highly recommend no less than 7 gallons of soil for bloom, per plant.
2. I do not like fabric pots....roots don't grow properly and the plants can be stressed when the roots are constantly dying.
3. I highly recommend starting in one gallon pots and transplanting once.....
4. I highly dislike solo cups, for the above reason and because lights comes in and messes with the roots.

Going from one gallon to ten or two gallons to ten won't make much difference in yield, but the extra transplant often causes un-wanted stress and can harm your efforts.

My advice would be to start in 1's, transplant once into 10's and live happily ever after.

Kentucky boy over here!
Hay if you are close to Ohio maybe we can meet up some time. I live in South West Ohio not far from Kentucky. I can be in Cincinnati in 45 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom