Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

You can use Energy as a nitrogen booster - it's just calcium nitrate. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Brix won't work at all, but DeStress might be helpful, might not, but maybe worth a test. I don't think Transplant would be too harmful but probably a waste on untuned soil. Don' even think about Cat drench. :straightface:

Not much, really. I tried the foliars myself on mineralized soil - I was in a situation like yours, with a mix of soils in the room, so I just sprayed 'em all. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for that, Graytail. What about Tea and amendment/re-charge?

Nope, it's a waste of amendment. The Tea might work, though. Doc would know better. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Doc,
I added this feeding schedule from MaxYields to my blog post: The Basics of Doc Bud's High Brix Blend Kit w/ Instructions - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Does everything check out?

- HIGH BRIX FEEDING SCHEDULE -

Alright everyone, using several different posts from "DocBuds High Brix Q&A" as well as his "In The Lab" threads I have put together a precise feeding chart that can applied to any number of pots. I took Major PITA's Foliar Spray ratio and expanded on it, those are my best estimates based on how much of the Foliar Spray I have used in the past.

This schedule assumes that you are following DocBuds recommendation of Solo Cup (not necessary) > 1 Gallon Pot > 7 Gallon Pot transplanting. I also made the assumption everyone with the kit has basic horticulture experience... I did not take into account any of DocBud's specialty products (OG Drench / Fungicide), or heavy feeding plants. This entire schedule is adjustable, so if you have a heavy feeder feel free to bump up the ratios a little.

Also keep in mind I did not give recommended water ratios, that is because we are feeding the soil. Mix the amounts of Drenches and Teas I have given with as much water as you need to get about 20% run off.

Anything written in RED has to do with Transplanting and Soil maintenance. Anything in BLACK has to do with feeding.

DRENCH & TEA RATIOS (Compliments of Graytail)

1 GALLON POT >> 0.5 - 1.0 mL DRENCH >> 0.05 - 0.1 mL TEA

7 GALLON POT >> 3.0 - 7.0 mL DRENCH >> 0.3 - 0.7 mL TEA

10 GALLON POT >> 5.0 - 10 mL DRENCH >> 0.5 - 1.0 mL TEA​

FOLIAR SPRAY RATIOS (Compliments of Major PITA)

SMALL PLANT >> 1 mL Foliar Spray per 30 mL R.O. Water.

MEDIUM PLANT >> 2 mL Foliar Spray per 60 mL R.O. Water.

LARGE PLANT >> 4 mL Foliar Spray per 120 mL R.O. Water.​

THE ENTIRE PROCESS

- CLONES & SEEDS -
Fill Solo Cup with H.B. Soil >> Dig hole for Seed or Clone >> Dust hole with "Roots!" >> Plant Seed or Clone >> Cover and lightly water.

Water >> Water >> Water >> Water >> Water.

De-Stress Tuesdays & Thursdays // Brix Fridays -- @ 1 to 30 mL ratio.

- 1 GALLON: VEG -
Fill 1-gal pot with H.B. Soil >> Dig hole for transplant & dust it with "Roots!" >> Score rootball vertically >> Dust rootball with "Roots!" >> Transplant and cover rootball with soil >> Water (+ 0.5 mL Transplant Drench).

Growth Energy (0.5 mL + 0.1 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 0.25 mL Transplant Drench) >> Growth Energy (0.5 mL + 0.1 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 0.25 mL Transplant Drench) >> repeat.

De-Stress Tuesdays & Thursdays // Brix Fridays -- @ 1 to 30 mL ratio.

NOTE: At this point you should be watering ONLY when leaves begin to show slight signs of under-watering.

- 7 GALLON: VEG -
Fill 7-gal pot with H.B. Soil >> Dig hole for transplant & dust it generously with "Roots!" >> Score rootball vertically >> Dust rootball with "Roots!" >> Transplant and cover rootball with soil >> Water (+ 2.5 mL Transplant Drench).

Growth Energy (5.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.25 mL Transplant Drench) >> Growth Energy (5.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.25 mL Transplant Drench) >> repeat.

De-Stress Tuesdays & Thursdays // Brix Fridays -- @ 2 to 60 mL ratio.

NOTE: At this point you should be watering ONLY when leaves begin to show slight signs of under-watering.

- 7 GALLON: EARLY-BLOOM STRETCH -
Growth Energy (7.0 mL + 0.7 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.75 mL Transplant Drench) >> Growth Energy (7.0 mL + 0.7 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.75 mL Transplant Drench) >> repeat.

De-Stress Tuesdays & Thursdays // Brix Fridays -- @ 4 to 120 mL ratio.

- 7 GALLON: BUD SETTING -
Cationic Root Drench (7.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Cationic Root Drench (7.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Growth Energy (7.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.75 mL Transplant Drench) >> Growth Energy (7.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.75 mL Transplant Drench) >> repeat.

De-Stress Tuesdays // Brix Fridays -- @ 4 to 120 mL ratio.

NOTE: At this point you should be watering when the pot is light but the soil is still damp. Do not let it dry out for the rest of Bloom.

- 7 GALLON: FLOWER & BUD SWELL -
Top dress each pot with 1/6 (weight wise) of DocBud's Re-Charge >> Scratch lightly into surface of soil >> Water until run off.

Growth Energy ( 5.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.25 mL Transplant Drench) >> Growth Energy (5.0 mL + 0.5 mL Tea) >> Water (+ 1.25 mL Transplant Drench) >> repeat.

De-Stress Tuesdays // Brix Fridays -- @ 2 to 60 mL ratio.

This is the schedule I will be following. I hope I typed it out correctly because this post took me a little while to make haha. Feel free to ask questions or offer input, if you see something that needs correcting go ahead and say something, preferably before I can't edit this post anymore. Hehe, hope you guys like it!

:thanks:

Re: Adapting the kit to a current grow

Doc and friends,

My tent just switched to flower and I'm growing in Fox Farms Happy Frog soil using FloraNova 7-4-10 Grow nutrients at 1/2 strength. Since I plan to use Doc's Kit next grow, I'm hesitant to buy any other nutrients for this round. What can I use from Doc's Kit to finish off my current grow without wasting amendments, drenches, etc on incompatible soil?

Thanks,
Mystery Seeds

P.S. What things looked like before the switch.
IMG_67485.JPG

Mornin MysterySeeds....My 2 OK pal....Don't give them anything right now....there are some really burnt tips on that one there.Give her nothing but water...the colour and the tips are telling me this. If you feed with anything now...you run the risk of screwing things up really good brotha. Burnt tips are always(100% of the time) a good sign of TOO much goin on in your soil. Give her (them) just some water with maybe a little Transplant...just a little. It's for the soil not the plant directly.
More of us need to get it in our heads to feed the soil...and keep it happy....the plant will do great things if we keep the soil happy.Cheers eh.

Mornin MysterySeeds....My 2 OK pal....Don't give them anything right now....there are some really burnt tips on that one there. Give her nothing but water...the colour and the tips are telling me this. If you feed with anything now...you run the risk of screwing things up really good brotha. Burnt tips are always(100% of the time) a good sign of TOO much goin on in your soil. Give her (them) just some water with maybe a little Transplant...just a little. It's for the soil not the plant directly.
More of us need to get it in our heads to feed the soil...and keep it happy....the plant will do great things if we keep the soil happy.Cheers eh.

Thanks for the advice, Duggan. That Papaya #1 on the right has had a slight issue with burnt tips from the beginning, though it may be caused by light burn since it responds well to the raising of the LEDs. I left my tent in the care of a roommate for two weeks and when I returned the plants had grown to about 6" from the light. I raised the light to 14" and the condition of the leaf tips have improved, and I have only been feeding the FloraNova 7-4-10 Grow nutrients at 1/2 strength every third watering. That said, I'd rather not screw up my first grow by over-feeding the soil. I'll give them just water for the next round or two and see what happens. Although I'm not High Brix yet, I'd like to treat this grow as if I were.

Here are a few close up photos of the leaf tips for reference:

{Day 68, Flowering Day 1}Group shot. From left-to-right and back-to-front: Papaya #2, Papaya #1, Bubbalicious #1, and Bubbalicious #3. (May 31st, 2015)
IMG_67539.JPG

{Day 68, Flowering Day 1}Papaya #1. Not 100% sure if it's light burn or nutrient burn. (May 31st, 2015)
IMG_67556.JPG

IMG_67545.JPG

{Day 68, Flowering Day 1}Papaya #2 for comparison. (May 31st, 2015)
IMG_67566.JPG

OK...i gotcha brotha. They are actually looking very healthy...and i'm sure have responded well to the rescue....whooosh dude....6".
Ya ..you explained your sit. well. Now i know a little more . With the nutes your giving...remember to treat them like our DBHBB grows and give just water for a couple times between drenches. Most growers , especially those feeding nutes have a tendancy to always wanna feed their plants something....always over analizing things.
Try and think of getting things perfect with the soil rather than feeding nutes directly to the plant. Sorry to ramble MysterySeeds...just thinken out loud brotha...have a great day ..cheers.:high-five:

Just to reiterate:

Doc is entirely correct, that guide I put together (as I mention in my HB journal) is what I will be following for my first time in HB soil. It is in no way the only way to grow! You'll also notice in the beginning I mention that certain products aren't listed, for the same reason I just described.

Think of that as a baseline, a plan that will not only work, but can be improved on. Draw inspiration from it.

Hope it is up to your standards Doc.

That being said, MysterySeeds, thank you very much for compiling all of that info. It's exactly what someone entering the HB world needs.

I have this plant that has been root bound since the 2nd week of flower and now is on week 5. It is barely growing and hairs are starting to turn red, and the branches are really weak. The leaves are starting to die off also but less than a 1/4 of them so far. I was wondering if I should chop it down now for edibles or try to wait it out longer or trash it?

I have this plant that has been root bound since the 2nd week of flower and now is on week 5. It is barely growing and hairs are starting to turn red, and the branches are really weak. The leaves are starting to die off also but less than a 1/4 of them so far. I was wondering if I should chop it down now for edibles or try to wait it out longer or trash it?

Is this plant in HB soil? Many fast finishing strains will stop growing by week five. A good flushing and a light feeding might help.

Anybody help with budwashing "formula".....what goes in bucket number 1?

From my HB notes (copy & paste):

"Bud wash/rinse:
Three 5 gallon buckets. I like the first bucket to be white....but it's not necessary. I just like to see how dirty the water is getting.
Fill all three buckets with RO....a couple inches from the top.
To the first bucket, add 1/2 cup baking soda and just over 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Stir vigorously.
After harvesting the plant, take off fan leaves, dead leaves, wimply buds and leaves that look like they might rot. (shouldn't have any of these) Leave everything else on.
Dip into the first bucket, with the lemon juice and soda. Agitate the buds up and down, try to spin them....make sure they get good and saturated for at least 30-45 seconds.
Gently pick them up, let them drip and drain and put them in the second bucket for 30 seconds, drip/drain and then into the third bucket for 30 seconds. They are fine to hang at this point. Feel free to shake off excess water.
Dry as usual."

Is this plant in HB soil? Many fast finishing strains will stop growing by week five. A good flushing and a light feeding might help.

No, it is not in HB soil. The whole plant is pretty much just popcorn nugs. I have no idea what strain it is and was growing it for edibles anyways. I will try what you suggested.

I do have some plants in HB soil now. 4 out of 6 seeds germinated.

Here is the seedlings exactly 4 days since planting them in the HB soil.

Super Lemon Haze

SLH-B.JPG
SLH-A.JPG

Headband

HB-B.JPG
HB-A.JPG

I had 2 White Widow that didn't germinate but I kind of expected that because none of the seeds in that pack germinated. I had 2 no name bag seedlings that were 2 weeks in and probably got overwatered and needed cal-mag. I transplanted them into the HB soil this morning.

TLX_3028.JPG
TLX_3027.JPG

Back
Top Bottom