Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hey Doc, can you clarify something for us? It's on the super drench.
From the directions: 1 Cup (yes 8 oz) of Transplant plus 10 mils Tea per 5 gallons of water. Give each plant 1 gallon of this.
I've always divided that up by 5 gallons to come up with 48 ml + 2ml tea per gallon of water.
There is some confusion because the directions are based on 6 plants in 7 gallon pots. With the above directions you wouldn't be able to give each plant 1 gallon. That's why I broke it down into how much per gallon and just fed my 10 gallon pots the 48 ml and 2 ml.
I recommended Dajerm119 do a super drench and he read the directions and adjusted for 10 gallon pots and ended up giving each plant 67ml+Tea 3ml in 1.5gal water. The results were burnt tips, fading and rusty edges around the leaves. The strain is Panama which is a heavy feeder and has taken to super drenches well in the past.

Congrats to all Canadians!!!
From the directions: 1 Cup (yes 8 oz) of Transplant plus 10 mils Tea per 5 gallons of water. Give each plant 1 gallon of this.
I've always divided that up by 5 gallons to come up with 48 ml + 2ml tea per gallon of water.
There is some confusion because the directions are based on 6 plants in 7 gallon pots. With the above directions you wouldn't be able to give each plant 1 gallon. That's why I broke it down into how much per gallon and just fed my 10 gallon pots the 48 ml and 2 ml.
I recommended Dajerm119 do a super drench and he read the directions and adjusted for 10 gallon pots and ended up giving each plant 67ml+Tea 3ml in 1.5gal water. The results were burnt tips, fading and rusty edges around the leaves. The strain is Panama which is a heavy feeder and has taken to super drenches well in the past.
Many thanks neikodog!

Edit: The congrats is for the legalization... thought I may need to clarify:p

In case anyone is interested, I just picked up a 5-pack of what appear to be some good quality 10-gallon nursery pots on that "jungle" shopping site for only 37.99 delivered (I am a "Prime" member).

The item is: Pro Cal HGPK10PHD Premium Nursery Pot 10 Gal (5/pk)

Most of the other 10-gallon pots I had seen were closer to $65-$70 for a 5-pack and I've been watching them for a few weeks now, so seems like a good price.

:Namaste:

K

Bump:reading420magazine:

I've always divided that up by 5 gallons to come up with 48 ml + 2ml tea per gallon of water
I may be wrong. But just based on the language, I interpret that to mean:

-1cup(8oz) Trans + 10 mills Tea into 5gal of water - this is the ratio.

-Because it says 1gal per plant, if you had 5 plants you would mix as directed. If you had 10 plants you would double it. If you had one plant you would use 1/5 (20%) of all quantities. Etc.

So what neiko said there sounds right to me.

I don’t see that it has any relationship to how many plants the basic kit can grow, nor the size of the pots. It’s one gal of that ratio per plant. That’s just taking the language at face value...

Also - Doc liked Neiko’s post so that tells me he agrees with it (based on his own statements). So my guess is that when N outlined what he understood the directions to mean Doc read that and thought ‘yep’. And when N outlined what happened as a result of the higher dose, Doc read that and thought ‘yep’. So he liked the post. ;)

If I’m wrong, I’m sure we’ll find out. :popcorn:

:love:

I may be wrong. But just based on the language, I interpret that to mean:

-1cup(8oz) Trans + 10 mills Tea into 5gal of water - this is the ratio.

-Because it says 1gal per plant, if you had 5 plants you would mix as directed. If you had 10 plants you would double it. If you had one plant you would use 1/5 (20%) of all quantities. Etc.

So what neiko said there sounds right to me.

I don’t see that it has any relationship to how many plants the basic kit can grow, nor the size of the pots. It’s one gal of that ratio per plant. That’s just taking the language at face value...

Also - Doc liked Neiko’s post so that tells me he agrees with it (based on his own statements). So my guess is that when N outlined what he understood the directions to mean Doc read that and thought ‘yep’. And when N outlined what happened as a result of the higher dose, Doc read that and thought ‘yep’. So he liked the post. ;)

If I’m wrong, I’m sure we’ll find out. :popcorn:

:love:
Thanks for this Amy, I didn't and still am not sure if I see it that way. And the sad thing is I wasn't worried about over feeding because its been said again and again that you could double or triple the amounts and it won't hurt... this is obviously wrong (but then with the SD it may be pushing the limits.) Must have over done previous SDs as well... Also, I appreciate and saw that Doc liked those posts... but just a quick pop in to SAY yea or no would be great. I am more a- need a direct answer- kinda guy. Thanks again!

It's all based on how much per gal/water . Doesn't matter how many plants....could be one plant or twenty plants...the mixing ratio will/should NOT change. # of plants has nothing to do with it, really ...just mix accordingly the amount of water your pots need for a proper drink. Make that the amount u need to mix ,..and just follow directions. easy , peasy.

It's all based on how much per gal/water . Doesn't matter how many plants....could be one plant or twenty plants...the mixing ratio will/should NOT change. # of plants has nothing to do with it, really ...just mix accordingly the amount of water your pots need for a proper drink. Make that the amount u need to mix ,..and just follow directions. easy , peasy.
See this is where it can get confusing... cause most other measurements are done by gallons of soil... why this one different?
If i do gallons of water, @1.5 gallons I get that I need 71ml of transplant...

why this one different?

I’d see a super drench as a ‘Special Event’

If i do gallons of water, @1.5 gallons I get that I need 71ml of transplant...

So that 1.5 gal thing you say, sure, that seems right. But you don’t give any plant 1.5 gal of the drench. That would be too much.

The directions quoted just mean that each plant should get 1gal of drench with that ratio of mixture.
right?

In case anyone is interested, I just picked up a 5-pack of what appear to be some good quality 10-gallon nursery pots on that "jungle" shopping site for only 37.99 delivered (I am a "Prime" member).

The item is: Pro Cal HGPK10PHD Premium Nursery Pot 10 Gal (5/pk)

Most of the other 10-gallon pots I had seen were closer to $65-$70 for a 5-pack and I've been watching them for a few weeks now, so seems like a good price.

K
Good looking out fam, snagged a pack.

I’d see a super drench as a ‘Special Event’

So that 1.5 gal thing you say, sure, that seems right. But you don’t give any plant 1.5 gal of the drench. That would be too much.

The directions quoted just mean that each plant should get 1gal of drench with that ratio of mixture.
right?

I can see both of the ways this is being interpreting.

If you read it as it is, it is 1 gal to each plant. It makes no reference to pot size. But this does not make sense, if Duggan for example needed to SD for some strain he was growing with his award winning, cola producing, 26 gal pots, and were to follow these instruction he would only dump 4 gallons of drench total, 2 gal in eac pot (4 plants x two 26g pots). I don’t think that would sufficiently wet those pots. Meanwhile that same 1 gal of SD poured on a plant in a 7 gal pot, will completely wet that size pot.

Therefore the way I see it, I mix the SD the same as Doc in a 5 gal bucket, but when I pour this over a plant in a 15 gal pot, i give it 2 gals of this mix, (the OG’s I give 3 gals to really get run off and drain.) but not all plants like this, or it mixed this strong. I think its a gamble with a first time strain to get the optimum ratio of SD, if one is even needed.

I think what Dajerm’s Panama “Groot” is telling us, is that it would like less SD next time. Neiko’s Panama only got 1 gal of the SD and faired better.

Ok I’m heading to roll a fat cone of premium Doc Bud High Brix Blend Cannabis! Anyone?:cool:
:rollit:

When you have a tray of plants, all started and finishing at the same time, with the same needs, you mix up a bunch of drench and water 'em all. So you dump the correct ratios into a big 5 gallon bucket, and water all the plants.

When you have individual plants on individual schedules, that doesn't work. You have to mix small amounts for each plant and feed individually.

So some of us converted the original water gallon ratios to soil gallon ratios, and since most HBers are hobby growers, Doc listed soil ratios on the labels.

The water ratio for drenches is 1-2 ounces per 5 gallons. That's the way Doc waters and always has. That's the equivalent of 1-2 ml per soil gallon.

So that's the difference.

Thanks for this Amy, I didn't and still am not sure if I see it that way. And the sad thing is I wasn't worried about over feeding because its been said again and again that you could double or triple the amounts and it won't hurt... this is obviously wrong (but then with the SD it may be pushing the limits.) Must have over done previous SDs as well... Also, I appreciate and saw that Doc liked those posts... but just a quick pop in to SAY yea or no would be great. I am more a- need a direct answer- kinda guy. Thanks again!
Yes, you can double or triple the normal drench amounts without issue, but keep in mind that a super drench is roughly 7x regular dosage already. It's powerful stuff and sometimes it crisps up the leaf ends. Not the end of the world, just go a bit lighter on it the next round with your Panama. It's not something that needs to always needs be done either. I hit maybe half of my plants with it. They are normally fairly content with the recommended amounts.

Hi all. I’m back with more questions about the soil mix. Yesterday we did the deed. Mixed up a half batch and into a nice big plastic tote on casters.

So I did this with the pure Canadian sphagnum peat moss - with added perlite (to about 25%), EWC, 1st run amendment and the lime for buffering.

My question is this - the medium is really fluffy. Seems to have no density and is spongy when squeezed. Kind of “caulky”. Maybe it needs more water. The worm castings were completely dry too. It was moist but seemed to be drying out a little bit so I added a little water this evening. It just seems unlike any growing medium I’ve felt before. Is it normal that it is light and fluffy like this?

Hi all. I’m back with more questions about the soil mix. Yesterday we did the deed. Mixed up a half batch and into a nice big plastic tote on casters.

So I did this with the pure Canadian sphagnum peat moss - with added perlite (to about 25%), EWC, 1st run amendment and the lime for buffering.

My question is this - the medium is really fluffy. Seems to have no density and is spongy when squeezed. Kind of “caulky”. Maybe it needs more water. The worm castings were completely dry too. It was moist but seemed to be drying out a little bit so I added a little water this evening. It just seems unlike any growing medium I’ve felt before. Is it normal that it is light and fluffy like this?

Hi Amy,

I usually find that I get about 4-5 gals of water mixed in with the batch, which produces a fluffy, but compressable soil. If I squeeze it it compresses and holds its shape, but easily falls apart. It is moist but not wet.

I was surprised at how fluffy it was too. It's not like top soil mixed with perlite. When the girls need water, I can easily lift my 10 gallon with a full grown plant. I added 2 gallons of water to half a batch of the medium.

Fluffy and not able to make a dirt clod out of it......perfect.

What kind of "lime" did you use? Limestone I hope?

Back
Top Bottom