Emmie's Berry D'licious 2019 True Living Organic: No AACT, SCROG, COB, SuperSoil Production Grow & Seed Run

@fanleaf , I was looking for LUX to PAR conversion tables and I found a multiplier for the CREE 3590 3000k cobs - it is 0.014953846153846
Multiplying this by the last LUX reading of 25,000 lux, my PAR should be close to 374.

According to this chart:

PAR values
cuttings 60-90 umoles-
veg -300-425 u moles
flowering 700- 1,200 umoles

I am right where I want to be. I already knew that... but, it is nice that the numbers back me up.

A figure @Mayne gave me a couple of years ago is 67. PAR = Lux/67. This is 0.0000285 or about 0.2% off from the value that you are using. It's nice to get independent verification.

@fanleaf , I was looking for LUX to PAR conversion tables and I found a multiplier for the CREE 3590 3000k cobs - it is 0.014953846153846
Multiplying this by the last LUX reading of 25,000 lux, my PAR should be close to 374.

According to this chart:

PAR values
cuttings 60-90 umoles-
veg -300-425 u moles
flowering 700- 1,200 umoles

I am right where I want to be. I already knew that... but, it is nice that the numbers back me up.
Very interesting! I need to turn off my 9x 5000k chips and just run the 16x 3000k chips to see if I get close to that number with my Apogee par meter.
According to the calculation, with my 45k lux I would be at 672umol but my array is providing well over that. I will figure out the true lux to par multiple for my 16x 3000k and 9x 5000k array tonight. Fun!

Here is my contribution for the night. From these numbers, averages should be able to be made for the Cree CXB.

Array consists of 25 chips with wide Angelina reflectors.
There are 16 chips in 3000k and 9 chips in 5000k.

Running all chips with 58.7% of the wattage to the red 3000k chips and 41.3% of the wattage going to the blue 5000k chips the results were as follows using my LUX meter and a Apogee MQ-500 quantum par meter.
1250 par = 77,300 lux
990 par= 61,700 lux
648 par= 39,000 lux

The following test was with the room running ONLY the 3000k chips.

950 par= 54,200 lux
607 par= 34,900 lux
498 par= 28,600 lux

Take it for what it's worth. I did my best to get accurate samples.

According to my testing with the room running all 25 chips both 3000k and the 9- 5000k chips the calculation would be a rough average of 61 lux per 1 par.

Running only the 3000k chips the average came in at a VERY consistent 57.45 lux per 1 par throughout all power levels.

This is good news. This shows a high par/lux ratio.
I would bet money your 25000 lux is right close to 435umol emilya.

I would bet money your 25000 lux is right close to 435umol emilya.
It is right in there @fanleaf, and since the 67 number was derived on a COB with a CRI of 80 and not 90 as I am running, I tend to think that this adjustment number would be a touch high.... much the same as in your case with your hybrid combination with 5000k lights producing an overall CRI 100, your adjustment factor being lower, as measured, also makes sense.
By the way, taking off the Angelina reflectors, moving the lights up to even out the light spread, and turning up the power, was the solution to the leaf curling. I am now running a total of 350w to produce this PAR 400 or so, and the plants are loving it.

Moving to watering...
All the girls showed first stage wilt (lower fans) night before last, so I partially watered the room with 2 gallons of plain water, centering in on the area above the 1gal rootball. This was to be expected, and I suspect that they will go a little longer next time as the roots begin extending into the supersoil underneath them. I am going strictly by the wilt now and trying to take a few measurements to confirm things with my $6 moisture meter, because the lift method is no longer feasible because these 10 gallon containers are heavy! I expect to see M&M to start taking longer to get to the watering point as she starts working with the 304 grams of Vulx buffering out her soil. At the moment all three girls are roughly the same size and I keep snipping dominant nodes that rise up to the top, working hard to keep the canopy even. I have lost track of how many active growth tips I have, but it is shaping up to be an awesome production run. The trunks are roughly nickle size in diameter and I expect to see quarter size soon.

Bob got to the point of moderate-heavy wilt overnight and got watered in his little 1 gallon container this morning. He has been in 12/12 with the new colored light for a couple of days now, but so far no major spillage as a result of his licentiousness. When he starts spewing, it is going to be messy... he is a big healthy boy.

Other than that, nothing really to report. Tara still has not thrown out a traditional pistil that I have been able to spot, and the other two are not exactly throwing them out in abundance either. This strain is slow to show it seems... but I think we have what we needed. I will rest a little easier when I see a real pistil with a V pop out somewhere on Tara.

I made up some cute signs to put in the containers with their names, Andesite and Vulx status clearly marked... and I am sure that @Vulx will enjoy seeing his logo displayed so prominently in that container. I will make sure to debut these markers in pictures very soon!

Everyone have a safe and happy Labor Day Holiday, enjoy the cooler weather if you are getting it, and please, pray for Florida. Everyone visualize for a second, that terrible storm making a hard right turn and going off into the sea.

I did a proper watering this evening, and the room took one more half gallon than it did upon transplanting. All the plants took the same amount, 1 gallon + 20 oz. to produce the start of runoff. The soil is settling down into the edges of the geopots and the plants seem to be thriving. A couple of the plants have decided to cannibalize the lowest fan leaves, probably due to a lack of nutrition being forced to stay in the 1 gallon bags a bit too long, and even though it doesn't look like it is a problem, I gave a preemptive dose of calmag with this watering just in case. There are no signs of yellowing or deficiencies above these lowest leaves, and this could be the plant starting to clean up under the canopy.

My long running holmes fan has finally bit the dust and I had to replace it. I have decided to try a Vivosun product that is designed to sit on a tent corner pole. They showed up today and seem to work just fine, after having to do a little bit of engineering to get the molded plastic out of the threaded hole that the fan holding tightener screws down into, but after figuring out how to loosen it from the top and then screw it out of there, the fans worked perfectly and seem very powerful and well balanced. I hope they last for a few grows, and at $29 apiece, they were a bargain.
DSCF7232.JPG

As promised, here are some shots of the new fancy laminated name and product tags.
DSCF7230.JPG
DSCF7229.JPG
DSCF7228.JPG

The canopy is evening out quite nicely... Red is on the left, M&M with the Vulx is in the middle and Tara is on the right.
DSCF7231.JPG

And lastly... poor Tara is trying hard to show us that she is a female... but she just can't seem to be able to push this pistil out:
DSCF7233.JPG

Highya Emmie,

Sorry it took so long to find your journal. I'm glad I did, though. This journal is packed with much info and tips I'll need to go back and take notes. Your journal is also very interesting with the scientific approach to the details. Good on you! Cheers

Tomorrow is 7 weeks in veg, 49 days. Things are progressing along slowly but surely and the plants overall look strong and healthy. I figure the wet/dry cycle is somewhere around 4 days right now, and this time I did not do a partial watering, knowing that roots now have to be extending down into the new supersoil and where there is still moisture. I am still going mostly by looks to tell when to water next, and today I noticed something significant. The @Vulx is working!

The two plants without Vulx have started the slow decline toward droop with a noticeable reduction in the angle of the leaves in the upper canopy. A good healthy plant with good transpiration will achieve a 45° angle of attack toward the light source, and then as the water begins to run out and the roots are no longer able to maintain the water pressure in the xylem to be able to achieve this, the leaves go horizontal... at first.

Tonight I have a good picture of this happening. Earlier today all of these plants were "praying" as they say, achieving the optimum light angle with upturned leaves. Now as we get closer to the need for water, two of the plants have lost pressure and have started to relax. One plant out of the three however is still going strong, clearly not yet feeling the need for water. You guessed it, M&M with her Vulx is still standing proud.

Red starting to relax...
DSCF7238.JPG

Tara is just loafing along...
DSCF7239.JPG

M&M with Vulx is going strong with very strong uptake and lift!
DSCF7237.JPG

All is good here and last night I did another partial watering (just 1 gallon of Recharge around the room) since we reached the 4 day mark and still not dry enough to justify a full watering. A couple of dominant growth tips were trimmed and that was really all there was to do yesterday in the tent. Organic soil in large containers has got to be the laziest way to grow there is.
Everyone enjoy your day. I have the day off and we are going to drive to Denver to visit a couple of my favorite dispensaries and interview with someone that I might want to start up something with here in Missouri.
Road trip! We will be back tomorrow, but until then I am only going to have my cell phone to communicate with, so other than a few quick responses and likes, you will not see a lot of activity from me... none while I am driving!

All is good here and last night I did another partial watering (just 1 gallon of Recharge around the room) since we reached the 4 day mark and still not dry enough to justify a full watering. A couple of dominant growth tips were trimmed and that was really all there was to do yesterday in the tent. Organic soil in large containers has got to be the laziest way to grow there is.
Everyone enjoy your day. I have the day off and we are going to drive to Denver to visit a couple of my favorite dispensaries and interview with someone that I might want to start up something with here in Missouri.
Road trip! We will be back tomorrow, but until then I am only going to have my cell phone to communicate with, so other than a few quick responses and likes, you will not see a lot of activity from me... none while I am driving!
Good luck on your interview

No more obvious signs of any superiority between plants the last several days, they all seem to be thriving and simply getting bigger. I am being very stingy with the water and so far have not done another complete watering for any of them again and tomorrow will do another partial watering if there is still core moisture.

Bob is in full flower now in the love tent and will start spewing his pollen any day. Here he is at the start of his night, with enough male buddage going on that he could pollinate an acre all by himself if left to his devices. Some time this week we will be gathering several grams of pollen and then he will be sent on to the compost pile.

DSCF7240.JPG

More good news to report. Tara finally got over her modesty and threw out a couple of bonafide pistils and I was able to spot them as I did some extensive trimming of dominant growth tips today, trying to even out the canopy across the entire tent. We are 2 weeks into the final transplant tomorrow, still with no clear wet/dry cycle established in the large containers. We will keep veg going for another 2 weeks and do another evaluation of things at that point. I am not going to flip to bloom until I am sure that these plants are taking advantage of the 10 gallon containers.
The only observation I can make about the Vulx grow at this point is that she does seem to be growing the fastest right now, but that observation is highly subjective and probably weighted by the desire to see that one do better than the others... so I really have nothing to report there at this time.

Back
Top Bottom