GigaGrew's SuperSkunk Auto - 600W HPS - Biobiz - Perlite - Flood & Drain (ish)

Re: GiGaBaNE's 'SuperSkunk Auto' - 600w hps - biobiz - perlite - flood and drain (ish

There looking good never thought of growing in perlite, I've got 5 clones at the minute in the incubator when there root how do you go about planting in perlite and what are the advantages thanks

Re: GiGaBaNE's 'SuperSkunk Auto' - 600w hps - biobiz - perlite - flood and drain (ish

hi guys

sorry about the delay in pics, these are from a few days ago. will take some more tomorrow.

The sweet tooth at the back flowering, no idea how long they been going but they are still swelling and hardly any orange pistils...ill see about turning off the hps and looking at the trichs in clean light.

All the perlite seedlings are doing great. couple of the superskunk didn't start so well, but are just about recovered and will stay fairly close to the rest of the crop.

threw a ton of seeds in to soak. 2 strains and I don't know which strain is which. one is unknows and the other is critical sensi star selfs. They have been scattered into 4x 24L totes in allmix with 50% more added perlite (basically I threw into the mix all the growing medium supplies I had left).
I wouldn't be surprised to see 20 or 30 seedlings....ill probably prick them out and repot into small 1-2L pots. they are only bagseed as far as im concerned and will only be getting 13 hours of light just to stop them flowering too soon, they are just going to soak the light from the perimeter of the main crop, ill get whatever I can get off them, not overly fussed, just upping my GPW with my spare crap.
P1020794.JPG
P1020793.JPG
P10207902.JPG
P10207921.JPG
P10207912.JPG

There looking good never thought of growing in perlite, I've got 5 clones at the minute in the incubator when there root how do you go about planting in perlite and what are the advantages thanks

I decided to do it because im sick of worrying about oxygen to the roots. my pots drain freely so no matter how much liquid I put in, as long as the concentration of my liquid is correct, I cant over water or over feed.
Whilst babies im flushing 1 to 2 litres of very weak(1/8th) grow solution through the medium about 3 times a week, and plain water the other days.

as they get older (and I get new PH monitoring equipment), I will claw back some control and learn by examining the weight, moisture levels and feeding responses so that I can learn if its possible to say, feed them once per week and then just mist the perlite daily or something.

The advantages are cleanliness, lightweight pots and mixing work, tight control over what they get and when they get it and of course you get the benefits of hydroponic style growing.

the disadvantages are there is no self buffering like there is in soil growing so you need to be in control of everything. im currently running bling and just mixing nutes into tap water and hoping the plants like it, ill dial in the numbers later.

I think I mentioned I threw a load of reg seeds in soil, well at least 25 have popped already. I have no more budget left really so I need to scramble for pots and medium. im seriously thinking about cannibalising some perlite from the grow and turning a few of those existing tubs into 5l bottle hempies in order to generate a surplus. 5l tubs are definatly big enough for autos but its the repotting dilemma...hope I can repot them without them noticing. may try to use a ladel to lift them from underneath to try to reduce root movement. will try to get some pics tomorrow.

looking good mate, its going to be hard to transplant in perlite as it dont hold together like soil, when i transplant in a simalar way i use a knife and sort of cut a v shaped plug all the way around the seedling, i find that holds the soil together enough so i can transplant without them all falling apart, hopefully you will find a method that works, isnt their anyway you could use some sort of tube to push over the seedling and down into the perlite so the tube is pushed down into the perlite then using a knife gently pry under the seedling so it comes out and stays in the tub, then just replant, but im sure you will find a method that works, just do it sooner rather than later so the roots dont get to deep.

interesting idea growing in perlite so ill see how you get on, also some plants will flower under 13 hour of light, some flower when given 14 hours of light so just see how you get on, the plants will need to mature first so you would easily have 4 to 6 weeks of growth before they actually start flowering,

peace

great idea with the cylindrical cutting tube, ill have to do that. I reckon a nice 3L bottle with the bottom cut off would work and my ladle could get underneath and become the bottom of the pot, lol. I would rep you but I have to spread some apparently. oO your last rep from me is the last time I have repped ;)

re: GigaGrew's SuperSkunk Auto - 600W HPS - Biobiz - Perlite - Flood & Drain (ish)

Welcome aboard General =)
Ok guys, I apologise for my slackness lately but I have a terrible flu that has slowed me right down. I can barely get to my grow location without having to take several rest breaks for my breathing and coughing =(
the Cylindrical cutting tool works beyond expectation. I will provide a whole bunch of pictures soon guys I promise, its just remembering to take the camera and having spare time to 'waste' standing still taking shots, lol.

we havnt missed any events yet so my delay in pics hasn't cost you much eye candy =)
here is my work to date since last pictures.
All 14 autos have been successfully repotted into 2L hemp style freeing up massive amounts of perlite to reclaim.
The count is pretty much in on my random regulars and I now have about 45 of them!
today I managed to repot 1 of my 4 tubs. I used about 1/4 of my reclaimed perlite for the tub so now my regulars will be in a mix that is roughly 80% pure perlite and 20% allmix. im hoping the allmix, even in such small quantity will add a soil grows natural buffering to the party.
I want to say that allmix is fantastic. im not happy about the large clumps of 'hair' in it, not sure what it is, no doubt its beneficial in some way, but the clumps are not conducive to repotting little seedlings. apart from that tho its so beautifully light and fluffy. I have also discovered something that I want to share at the end of this post about watering that I discovered whilst using this soil.

anyways so now I have 14 autos in 2l pure perlite and 11 fem-regs in 1/2 liter pots in almost pure perlite, will be repotting another lot tomorrow and I will do my best to remember the camera.

For those of you that are curious as to why I suddenly went from a fat budget to a zero budget, we had a little put aside for the grow setup and that got us most of the stuff, but in the background we have become self employed. mainly its just an umbrella business that we can plug in various self employed projects into for tax purposes, but the tax rebate and reliefs that come with it take months to sort out apparently and has left me temporarily with a drastic shortage of liquidity =(

im afraid it may mean you guys see a lot less of me in the near future as im going to have to dedicate more time to income generation.
anyway that's about it for now.
Oh does anyone have any suggestions for smoking pure weed? my little pipe is killing me and when I make pure spliffs they constantly go out and its annoying. Im going through another quit tobacco phase, but this time it looks like im actually going to kick the habbit for good! the last few days im relying on my nose spray less and less and the tobacco left lying around for sense Amelia no longer tempts me =D

ok I know we all probably know it, but I bet most of you are like me and underestimate the difference. I have discovered that its very bad to water the soil normally. this all mix im playing with is sexy stuff, when uprooting my seedlings I barely had to tickle the soil and the roots all came away with virtually no tug and no loss of roots at all. however I decided to water them by pouring half a litre of water down one edge of the pot (with the intention of the water hitting the bottom and then soaking upwards), anyway with the clear pot I saw just how much compaction was caused by even such a small amount of water, a travesty for such great soil.
I saw none of this compaction with misting. so its my official recommendation to anyone that uses soil and watering to use spraying in the future instead (wont make much difference to soil that has already been compacted by waterings). I expect in a side by side comparison of 2 plants potted in all mix, one watered in the normal 'water well then let dry' method, the other kept all loose and airy and only misted with the intention of keeping the soil evenly at the correct humidity, I stake my professional credibility on the misted plant outgrowing the other in some significant manner because of the large upgrade of oxygen availibility.

re: GigaGrew's SuperSkunk Auto - 600W HPS - Biobiz - Perlite - Flood & Drain (ish)

Morning folks, sorry for the delay. migrane got the better of me (think I may have caused some real damage from coughing so much) and had to rest for the night.

I have now repotted all 14 of my autos into 2L hempie style pots, both to free up room and perlite, I am giving them fresh water only at the moment and only really misting. trying to get all my repotting done asap and then I can focus on the various feeding schedules needed.
got over 20 of my new regs in a allmix/perlite but a very low concentration of all mix maybe 30%.

The plan is to migrate all my regs into 2l pots for now and move them to 5l after the autos have finished and then flower them after they fill the pots. Some however I may try to force flower earlier than the rest just for crowd control. 60+ plants is making me a tad nervous :rofl:

ok some pics =D
P10207961.JPG
P1020797.JPG
P1020798.JPG
P1020799.JPG
P1020800.JPG
P1020801.JPG
P1020802.JPG
P1020803.JPG
P1020804.JPG

just a few comments:
I know they are stretching, my light is far enough away that daily misting wont burn the foliage...its a sacrifice I can remedy later when potting up, and as they get bigger I can mist the medium without wetting the greenery meaning I can turn up the heat =)

They are all laying down only because of fresh water, they all bounce back quickly and no damage from the minor soil contact.

the iL diavolo in the compost bags should have been done long ago, but for some reason everything seems slow motion, the trichs are still clear to slightly cloudy and they are still swelling daily and far more clean healthy pistils than dry orange ones, just seems to want to live on a different timeline to previous grows of the same seed oO I almost never water this plant and fed it only once with a week flower solution about 2 weeks ago, never seems to show any signs of under watered or nourished, truly a sturdy ruderalis :)

sorry to hear you been ill, not good trying to do stuff when your ill.

plants look great and have some reps for the soil watering tip, i noticed this a while back but once the plants are big enough and have enough root mass then the soil dont tend to compact as much so i spray the seedlings and spray until the plants are a decent size after transplanting, but when they are ready to flip 12-12 i dont get much compacting as the roots tend to hold it all together,

great tip for any soil grower though as its stops over watering and root rot issues,

have some reps it lets me

sorry guys and gals. end of the line for me.

The changes in the last year of my life have been putting pressure on me to decide which path my life should take.
In essence it boils down to career choice and it has become clear to me that the 420 way of life, whist adorable, just isn't going to pay the bills.

this is very frustrating for me, and im sure you all understand the need for me to be extremely diplomatic to prevent censorship, but I feel like I could have played a very important role in Europe as a 420 representative. im loyal and have some reasonable business acumen, have worked hard sometime with sponsors trying to nail sales or come up with business ideas or alliance possibilities.

I will not explain the situation, I feel it would be mud flinging to do so, but lets just say after weeks of hoping, I suddenly feel very under valued and it only gets more bitter the deeper I think on it, so its time for me to exit honourably and with dignity.

Im sad to see you go sir. Although our activity hasnt overlapped alot, Ive read tons of your past work here and have the utmost respect for you sir. 420 is losing a good one. I hope your descion brings you peace and that you are succesfull in all future endeavors.
:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom