High Priest's, Soil, Shiva Shanti II, Grow Journal

Good call about pots. Water I'm not so sure make sure they keep hydrated!

I need to say the opposite. It is necessary to let them dry out a little bit to prevent root rot.

High Priest's Soil Shiva Shanti II Grow Journal

I need to say the opposite. It is necessary to let them dry out a little bit to prevent root rot.

That's what I thought and fungus gnats. I guess it's a bit different if you are using a medium that drains better. Guy at hydro shop told me it's best to ignore fungus gnats and keep soil wet :S and he was an expert. I think he's more referring to what he thinks my grow is in although that's only the top few inches it's pure 7 year old horse poo sawdust manure under that!

I said this to my friend today about not letting soil dry out I tried to tell him my new train of thought of roots not needing to "find" water by letting them dry out like we think they do. Roots grow regardless if the plant is getting everything they need think hydro set ups. I don't know just food for thought. Maybe best to keep hydrated like it is for us. (This way fungus gnats are an inevitable negative but the plant is supplied with a surplus of all of the elements of growth that it needs)

I have lots of perlite (only) in the bottom and in the middle soil/compost with perlite 50/50 the top is horse poo too with some banana juice banana peel and DIY cal mag. best stuff ever :) I kiss the horse that gave me the manure..goood stuff! :rofl:

Thanks for the feedback guys... Really appreciate them.
Well the last time we watered our babies was exactly 2 weeks ago. Seems like it's quite a long time since.
We might water them later this evening or tomorrow. As usual I won't water much, just enough at the sides.

Kinda hard to find perlite here in our country, however we did put a layer of small pebbles (gardening tip) under all the soil for easy drainage. Hopefully that helps in replace of perlite. The least thing that we found is a soil with Vermicilite which I read somewhere it's a bit dangerous for the babies health. Not sure about this. But rather not take the risk. What do you guys think?

Blessings of Love to all :circle-of-love: :)

Small pebbles in the bottom is OK too, just make sure they cover the bottom and you make extra holes in the bottom of pot, so water can leave easy.
:hug: and grow love to your babies :circle-of-love:

Update: Week 4
Strain: Shiva Shanti II (75% Indica)
Stage: Flowering (5th November)
First date in Soil: 11th October
Soil mix: General soil (vege soil + manure with ph 6.8) and a layer of small pebbles on the bottom of pot
Pot Size: Medium size about 1 Gallon
Light Cycle: Outdoor when weather permits, 18/6 indoor with 400 watts LED (started on Week2)
Temp of Room: estimated 20 C / 68 F (have a internal house heater that is set to 22 C/71 F)
Last watered: 4th November about 100ml each
Fertiliser: None

Hello everyone! :Namaste: Hope you all are having a great weekend. :)
After 2 weeks of no watering to the babies, we decided to water them yesterday. They still look good though after 2 weeks but one of the grow's leaves were getting droopy. Guess it's a sign they need some water. Using a measuring cup, I watered each of the pot about 100ml each.

Here are the grows after watering:

IMG_136529.JPG

IMG_136728.JPG

Analysis: Looking at our timeline (as we're due to be overseas in the coming weeks), we decided that maybe it's time to move the grows into their flowering stage. We know we could accomplish more yield if we stay in vege mode longer. However after reading some journals, it's better to determine the sex of the grows before wasting the time in vege state. We plan to harvest our grows before our holidays is also why we're starting the flower stage now. :) (Hopefully to smoke some before we go..hehehe)

Progress: Bought 2 x 150 watts LED added it to the grow room as advised. Yeah! :cheer:
Also changed a bit of the lamp height as the babies are taller now.

With their increased Light:

IMG_137133.JPG

Any idea what's with the yellow spot on the leave?:

IMG_137324.JPG

Topshot:

IMG_137437.JPG

So far we did not add any nutrients to the grows at all. Guess the soil we're using is quite nute enough. Other than that, everything seems the same, watching them grow day by day. Oh yeah we're changing the light cycle to 12/12 since we're on the flowering stage. Hopefully they are females... :)
Is the light distance to the plant too far or it's good? Might need some help on this.

Anyways as usual..... Thanks for following my journal and we really appreciate the help given by the great people in 420magazine. Blessings of love to all :circle-of-love::circle-of-love:

Hi
The spot on the leaf could be anything. If it is only one, and you haven't noticed anymore after ,lets say, 24 hrs it is most probably water drop and burn from sun or lights, since you haven't fed any nutrients yet.:circle-of-love:

Hello everyone :Namaste:
Hope you guys are doing well.. :circle-of-love:
Yesterday while our babies was out in the sun, saw one of our pots with droopy leaves...

IMG_137637.JPG

It might not have enough water so what I did was I watered it a little (just about 100ml) around the pot. I'm being careful not to over water them as usual. This morning it looked like this...

IMG_137739.JPG

IMG_137839.JPG

IMG_138137.JPG

As compared to my hubby's pot, his is growing very well:

IMG_138036.JPG

Anyone has any advice on this? I'm kinda reluctant to water them again before getting feedback from here. Thank you guys :)
Blessings of love to all....:circle-of-love::circle-of-love:

Well, after looking up on your strain, maybe it is best to not take them outside? It says greenhouse/indoor.
Also you can give a little nutes. 1/4 th of dose.

Well, after looking up on your strain, maybe it is best to not take them outside? It says greenhouse/indoor.
Also you can give a little nutes. 1/4 th of dose.

Thanks Angrybird... :thanks: To be honest, it is getting quite chilly outside since yesterday.
So as per your advice, I just took them in to their indoor home.

Not too sure about the nutes now coz hubby's plant is growing well using the same soil.
I'll monitor though and see how it goes in the next couple of days. :circle-of-love:

Same strain can have different needs, just keep your eyes open, and add a spoon of used coffee grounds on top of soil. Easiest fertilizer for N which plants need now.:Namaste:

Same strain can have different needs, just keep your eyes open, and add a spoon of used coffee grounds on top of soil. Easiest fertilizer for N which plants need now.:Namaste:

Thanks Angrybird for the tip.. :) :Namaste:

Big question. Does that horse poo stink ?? o
r draw bugs ? Thanks !!

Hiya Slowpuffer... Nah not really. Haven't seen any bugs other than the occasional spider webs around it when we bring it out to our garden but nothing so far.

Slowpuffer, you don't use fresh horse manure, it has to be dry. It is a good and easy fertilizer to find. You can locate a stable or horse owner easy.
Bit difficult to find bats flying in the city :rofl:

My grandfather owned a commercial greenhouse for years and horse manure mixed with a garden compost grew some of the most amazing veggies around. No doubt it will grow awesome cannabis and the manure will cook as it ages so no weeds, pests or other negatives involved.

Sent from my iPad using 420

Update: Week 4
Strain: Shiva Shanti II (75% Indica)
Stage: Flowering (5th November)
First date in Soil: 11th October
Soil mix: General soil (vege soil + manure with ph 6.8) and a layer of small pebbles on the bottom of pot
Pot Size: Medium size about 1 Gallon
Light Cycle: 18/6 indoor with 400 watts LED (started on Week2)
Temp of Room: estimated 20 C / 68 F (have a internal house heater that is set to 22 C/71 F)
Last watered: 7th November about 100ml for 1 pot
Fertiliser: None

Hi Everyone! :Namaste:
Well thought this might be a good time to do an update noticing some issues in the past few days.
My 2 grows are having droopy leaves and the bottom leaves are getting yellow each day.
Took some pics last night before their lights off:

IMG_138432.JPG

IMG_138535.JPG

IMG_139126.JPG

Read through some journals and found a thread facing the same issue. A post from Racefan (kudos to him) and MadameCrash (kudos to her) explaining what might be the cause of this.

Quote from Racefan: "At 4.5 feet tall I doubt too many lumens are reaching the lower branches and leaves. this could be part of the problem."

Quote from MadameCrash: "The lighter green plant stretched up further and grew more leaves, so used up more nitrogen than the other plant did. Give it 1 good feeding with veg fertilizer to help slow down the yellowing up the plant.
The old leaves will not recover - they will stay yellow and probably fall off. "

Analysis: So I think what happened to my grows is due to the fluctuations of the temp (bringing them outdoors when it's getting chilly everyday now) and the distance of the lights to the grows.

Here's a pic of the grows before it went droopy:

IMG_137133.JPG

and here's a pic taken yesterday after raising their height closer to the light:

IMG_138830.JPG

Progress: This morning when I greeted them, I noticed that the leaves were not droopy anymore. However after drinking several cups of coffee later, I visited them and they're going droopy again. Hubby's plant is doing well maybe because his is the tallest of them all. I think they need some nutes. So I'm going to use a spoonful of the used ground coffee from this morning on top of their soil. :thanks: AngryBird

Used Coffee ground:
IMG_139423.JPG

Please do tell me if I'm doing this right? Thanks guys for your feedback and comments. Really appreciate them.
Blessings of love to all of you and your grows. :circle-of-love::circle-of-love: I'll post pics of the outcome in the next couple of days.:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom