In The Lab

the kit arrived last week and I'm cooking up some fresh soil per doc's instructions... be ready to start some plants in a month or so.
I have an issue with poor municipal water quality , PPM that is 250-300 and full of chloramines. When brewing beer I address by using RODI and adding back in the appropriate salts (calcium chloride and sometimes gypsum). For watering plants I have been taking the RODI water and using Cal/Mag (earth juice) to bring it up to 50-100 PPM. I'm wondering if I should continue with the Cal/Mag. I could switch to gypsum (calcium sulfate CaSO4*2H20) or calcium chloride (CaCl2*2H20). Calcium Carbonate would be great if it only was water soluable, and straight RODI is no problem for me to make but I know in brewing that the osmotic pressure is of RODI is enough to burst the cell walls of my yeast so I'm reluctant to use it on soil where I want to encourage microbial growth.
any thoughts on this

You could go with straight RO or you could add a bit of cal/mag.....but be very careful if you do as you don't want to upset the Ca/Mg ratio in the soil.

The soil is loaded with minerals, so it really isn't critical that you add them to water.

I believe Wiggle Worm is the de facto brand that most of us use for our worm castings...:thumb:
Ya Nemat.. them's the ones ....eh Shrike! They are a little more special cuz they got no K ....and very little of the other two .I pay very well for the W.W. i get....60 bones for two 15lb. bags before taxes !Cheers....gotta go finish packing:surf: Duggs.

1.1 cu-ft EWC = 38 lbs = $26 here

Don't forget the Promix man. ;)

Thanks gov....already have about 90% of one from current grow....I have learned from this grow that I can prolly only do 2 girls at a time in my flower room. Especially if they r gonna b in 5-7 gallon pots. I do have all kinds of height just no floor space about 9sqft. I will have to do some conversions....with some help of course....probably do a half run of soil.

Do have first question.....if I do a half run of soil and split the amendment, is it important to mix that amendment up? Trying ask is there is different sizes of minerals and almost powder, is it important to get all his split up evenly? Or am I being way to technical or precise?

Thanks again all can't wait to get cooking.......

Thanks gov....already have about 90% of one from current grow....I have learned from this grow that I can prolly only do 2 girls at a time in my flower room. Especially if they r gonna b in 5-7 gallon pots. I do have all kinds of height just no floor space about 9sqft. I will have to do some conversions....with some help of course....probably do a half run of soil.

Do have first question.....if I do a half run of soil and split the amendment, is it important to mix that amendment up? Trying ask is there is different sizes of minerals and almost powder, is it important to get all his split up evenly? Or am I being way to technical or precise?

Definitely mix it up.

I run a 4x4 with only 6-7 plants so I've routinely mixed up half batches. :thumb:

I lay the whole bag of amendment out in a long fat line and try to even out the powder and rocks as much as I can, then cut it in two. I cut the recharge into 10 piles and seal it in baggies, one for each 6 gallon pot.

Back
Top Bottom