In The Lab

Right on, once I get started my posts will be common on your Q&A Thread. Thanks a lot for the response.

It was my understanding that the Drenches and Tea feed the soil, and that in turn feeds the plant. I may be wrong but no one has corrected me yet. I have three 18 gallon totes filled almost all the way up with soil, if I was to guess I have probably 54 gallons of Kit Soil. For easy math I rounded down to 50 gallons. As far as I can see my math should be perfect based on the directions Doc has given.

I just went up and re-read your posts and 1/3 = 33% so our math is basically equal. I guess percentages aren't appropriate here because the amount of HB soil you end up with depends on how much EWC you put in. I used 30lbs of it and got ~56 gallons. And 6 pots with 7 gallons of soil is 42 gallons total. Which is how I got 28%.

Thanks for the response, I will do .5 ml of Tea per gallon, plus I will start at 5ml of the Drenches and see how the plants react.

You guys are awesome. :thumb:

Right on, just wanted to make sure you realized its based on how much is actually in your pots in use and not how much got mixed up.

.5ml tea per gallon of water? You should only need .5ml - 1ml tea to drench both your plants, since we have been talking about gallons of soil just want to make sure you not going to do .5ml tea per gal of soil, that would be a lot :)

Right on, just wanted to make sure you realized its based on how much is actually in your pots in use and not how much got mixed up.

.5ml tea per gallon of water? You should only need .5ml - 1ml tea to drench both your plants, since we have been talking about gallons of soil just want to make sure you not going to do .5ml tea per gal of soil, that would be a lot :)

Yeah sorry I got confused while typing. I meant .5-1ml of Tea and 5ml of Drench split between my two plants. Thanks :cheesygrinsmiley: :cheesygrinsmiley:

This isn't the correct thread, but since we are on the subject, do those of you who have run the kit a few times run out of Transplant?
I haven't done the math, but at a 1 oz. concentration + all the 1/4 concentrations with every drench, a lot more of it is needed than the other drenches. I'm trying to plan ahead on what to purchase and how much.

This question about dosing rotates through the thread on a regular basis as new people come onboard. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I think the confusion comes from two different ways of looking at watering. If you're growing several plants of the same age and type, you tend to think in terms of concentration in the feed water, because you're going to mix up a bunch and feed 'em all. But if you have different plants of different ages, you'll be feeding each plant separately, so you need to calculate how much each plant needs.

The instructions are written for one feed to multiple plants, so it's given as a concentration - so much per gallon of water. Everybody gets a bunch of properly mixed feed water.

To feed individual plants, you calculate how much per gallon of soil, added to as much water as the plant will take. I feed on the low side, and for my 6 gallon pots, I use ~ 2.5 ml of drench and 0.3 ml Tea. But that's just the mark on the vial that I aim for - sometimes it slops up to 4 ml. :cheesygrinsmiley: No big deal. An easy way to dose individual plants is to mix the drench and Tea in individual 16oz solo cups, pour them each into the soil and follow with 1/4 Transwater until they're soaked. When I have a complicated feeding, I mix up a dose for each of 7 plants, and then fill a big bucket with transwater. I might have two Energy feedings and one CatDrench, with two just transwater and two Transplant. Five of those will need Tea, so I put 1.5 ml into a gallon or so of water and let it steep. Then I'll mix up five individual cups of the various drenches. If everyone needs the same drench, I'll mix it in a gallon pail, and evenly distribute it.

It sounds complicated when I lay it out like that, but feeding 7 individual plants is complicated. :cheesygrinsmiley: If you're doing a batch, you just fill a big bucket and pour in the right amount of drench.

So, calculate how much dosage for your pot size, and that's always how much each plant gets. Add water as needed.

Benchmark dosages:
1 Gallon pot = 0.5-1.0 ml Drench, 0.05-0.1 ml Tea
7 Gallon pot = 3-7 ml Drench, 0.3-0.7 ml Tea
10 Gallon pot = 5-10 ml Drench, 0.5-1.0 ml Tea

Didn't even see this post Graytail, didn't mean to ignore it!

This is awesome. Exactly what I needed to see. I was calculating off soil, just not 6 x 7 gallons which is what is recommended, I went off of how much I actually got. Thanks for clearing that up, hopefully I wont be confused again, but I can't promise anything :cheesygrinsmiley:

This question about dosing rotates through the thread on a regular basis as new people come onboard. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I think the confusion comes from two different ways of looking at watering. If you're growing several plants of the same age and type, you tend to think in terms of concentration in the feed water, because you're going to mix up a bunch and feed 'em all. But if you have different plants of different ages, you'll be feeding each plant separately, so you need to calculate how much each plant needs.

The instructions are written for one feed to multiple plants, so it's given as a concentration - so much per gallon of water. Everybody gets a bunch of properly mixed feed water.

To feed individual plants, you calculate how much per gallon of soil, added to as much water as the plant will take. I feed on the low side, and for my 6 gallon pots, I use ~ 2.5 ml of drench and 0.3 ml Tea. But that's just the mark on the vial that I aim for - sometimes it slops up to 4 ml. :cheesygrinsmiley: No big deal. An easy way to dose individual plants is to mix the drench and Tea in individual 16oz solo cups, pour them each into the soil and follow with 1/4 Transwater until they're soaked. When I have a complicated feeding, I mix up a dose for each of 7 plants, and then fill a big bucket with transwater. I might have two Energy feedings and one CatDrench, with two just transwater and two Transplant. Five of those will need Tea, so I put 1.5 ml into a gallon or so of water and let it steep. Then I'll mix up five individual cups of the various drenches. If everyone needs the same drench, I'll mix it in a gallon pail, and evenly distribute it.

It sounds complicated when I lay it out like that, but feeding 7 individual plants is complicated. :cheesygrinsmiley: If you're doing a batch, you just fill a big bucket and pour in the right amount of drench.

So, calculate how much dosage for your pot size, and that's always how much each plant gets. Add water as needed.

Benchmark dosages:
1 Gallon pot = 0.5-1.0 ml Drench, 0.05-0.1 ml Tea
7 Gallon pot = 3-7 ml Drench, 0.3-0.7 ml Tea
10 Gallon pot = 5-10 ml Drench, 0.5-1.0 ml Tea

:thanks: Reps

This isn't the correct thread, but since we are on the subject, do those of you who have run the kit a few times run out of Transplant?
I haven't done the math, but at a 1 oz. concentration + all the 1/4 concentrations with every drench, a lot more of it is needed than the other drenches. I'm trying to plan ahead on what to purchase and how much.

Hey Major....ya i ran out but it was on my second grow ,but with the first batch of Transplant. I started buying bigger bottles than what come in the standard size Kit. You might want to think about more of everything pal....your gonna need more of all of it anyhow .The bigger bottles,think they're a quart, last quite a while.Cheers bud.:thumb:

Hey Major....ya i ran out but it was on my second grow ,but with the first batch of Transplant. I started buying bigger bottles than what come in the standard size Kit. You might want to think about more of everything pal....your gonna need more of all of it anyhow .The bigger bottles,think they're a quart, last quite a while.Cheers bud.:thumb:

So you can buy by the quart? Is the amendment and everything else go up in volume accordingly....I guess the question is, what is the next size kit? Or after the initial kit you just buy what you need when you need it?

So you can buy by the quart? Is the amendment and everything else go up in volume accordingly....I guess the question is, what is the next size kit? Or after the initial kit you just buy what you need when you need it?

Yep. I can provide quarts or gallons of everything. It makes no sense to get gallons if you're growing fewer than 10 plants perpetually, IMO. They take up space. They do store very well in a stable, cool and dark environment.

Doc, I just want to drop these few pics of my bonsai Grape Ape, grown towards High Brix on my windowsill. The Brix are currently 13/14, and I hope to raise them with time. It's 2nd week of flowering. The soil mix is terra rossa + local loam 50/50 with powdered eggshells, biochar and volcanic rock dust. Last application was lithothamnium calcareum which is 80% calcium carbonate, 10% magnesium, 1.3% iron + trace minerals. I also got pure limestone flour and I'm gonna use it by the end of this week. Some leaves started getting brown flaws, but in the same time Brix went up, so I guess it's a good thing, right?

ga28.JPG
ga8.JPG
ga121.JPG
ga131.JPG

ga57.JPG

Doc, I just want to drop these few pics of my bonsai Grape Ape, grown towards High Brix on my windowsill. The Brix are currently 13/14, and I hope to raise them with time. It's 2nd week of flowering. The soil mix is terra rossa + local loam 50/50 with powdered eggshells, biochar and volcanic rock dust. Last application was lithothamnium calcareum which is 80% calcium carbonate, 10% magnesium, 1.3% iron + trace minerals. I also got pure limestone flour and I'm gonna use it by the end of this week. Some leaves started getting brown flaws, but in the same time Brix went up, so I guess it's a good thing, right?

ga28.JPG
ga8.JPG
ga121.JPG
ga131.JPG

ga57.JPG

Looking great! You're so fortunate to have really good soil right there in your yard! Nice job.

Growing in general is 90% environment, 8% "skill" and 2% nutes.

Environment=Temps, Rh, Lighting/darkness, photoperiod.

Get all that in order and you can grow amazing weed with Osmocote for about 20cents per plant.
Put High Brix soil into a perfect environment and you'll be famous.

Hi Doc,

Can you point my in the right direction on how to make all these drenches/foliar sprays/teas. And, how does a person purchase a kit? I probably need to do a lot more research on this HiBrix. I am not looking to be handheld but just pointed in the right direction :)

Thanks.

Hi Doc,

Can you point my in the right direction on how to make all these drenches/foliar sprays/teas. And, how does a person purchase a kit? I probably need to do a lot more research on this HiBrix. I am not looking to be handheld but just pointed in the right direction :)

Thanks.

You're in the right spot. Check pm's and get Doc's kit. He's developed it and puts it together himself. It's top-notch gear. The "instructions" are linked in his (Doc's) signature. They are in a state of constant revision, but the general instructions stay the same enough that you won't mess it up regardless of which version you get.

So, nowhere else to go really. Just stick around this thread (and other high brix threads) and you'll pick up fast enough. If not, simply ask as someone will chime in who has had the same question/issue and likely the answer.

:cool:

Hello all, I look forward to sharing and learning as much as I can. First time poster, soon to be first time brixer as well! I have been researching Doc's methods for about 2 or 3 months now and 2 questions still linger in my mind (despite the hours and hundreds of pages I have sifted through).

Earlier in Doc's grows, he spoke about using ProMix HP, while also referencing a dozen or so other additive materials, e.g. 1/2 oz of lime, 1/2 oz of molasses, etc, etc. Yet, when I look at newer grows, specifically his In the Lab thread and go to his "kit", it basically mentions only the ProMix Hp Myco, the EWC, and all the drenching and foliar feedings.

Now for my questions:
1) Given the strength and the consistency of the drenching and foliar feedings, are these other additive materials now unnecessary, or purposefully not mentioned to encourage homework?
2) The foliar feedings you recommend seem to change from journal to journal (yours and other brixers), is the method from the In the Lab thread the tried and true method, while yourself and others are merely experimenting with other strategies?

Lastly, a quick philosophical question regarding the whole process. So, I understand that Brixing is all about ROOTS ROOTS ROOTS!!! Just curious if there have been an serious attempts at re-planting a harvested plant with a seriously kick ass root system. The hi-brix method, along with the almost limitless use of Destress seems like it might be enough to stabilize a plant, and optimize a nice root ball for a couple different harvies.

Thank you all.

For true high brix, the earlier soil additions are no longer used.
The basic instructions will get you where you want to go. However, this is still a work in progress so foliar and drench techniques could be modifed. Some of the modifications are pure experiments. Others are strain dependant.
If you want to re-veg a plant after harvest, why not just leave it in the original pot?

Hello all, I look forward to sharing and learning as much as I can. First time poster, soon to be first time brixer as well! I have been researching Doc's methods for about 2 or 3 months now and 2 questions still linger in my mind (despite the hours and hundreds of pages I have sifted through).

Earlier in Doc's grows, he spoke about using ProMix HP, while also referencing a dozen or so other additive materials, e.g. 1/2 oz of lime, 1/2 oz of molasses, etc, etc. Yet, when I look at newer grows, specifically his In the Lab thread and go to his "kit", it basically mentions only the ProMix Hp Myco, the EWC, and all the drenching and foliar feedings.

Now for my questions:
1) Given the strength and the consistency of the drenching and foliar feedings, are these other additive materials now unnecessary, or purposefully not mentioned to encourage homework?
2) The foliar feedings you recommend seem to change from journal to journal (yours and other brixers), is the method from the In the Lab thread the tried and true method, while yourself and others are merely experimenting with other strategies?

Lastly, a quick philosophical question regarding the whole process. So, I understand that Brixing is all about ROOTS ROOTS ROOTS!!! Just curious if there have been an serious attempts at re-planting a harvested plant with a seriously kick ass root system. The hi-brix method, along with the almost limitless use of Destress seems like it might be enough to stabilize a plant, and optimize a nice root ball for a couple different harvies.

Thank you all.

Hey there,

My earlier work could be defined as me trying to DIY high brix soil. I came up with a mineralized soil that was a marked improvement over regular organic soil....but as soon as I got the Amendment from the lab and gave it a try I immediately tossed out what I was doing before, based on the glaring, obviously far better results I got with the true High Brix soil.

The amendment package in my kit is EXACTLY what is needed to bring the soil into spec. The drenches and foliar sprays are designed around the soil and the entire thing is supposed to work together as a unit....which it does.

Original lab instructions: Brix foliar weekly, DeStress foliar as needed, drench every other time with Growth Energy and Tea. Transplant was only used for transplanting....I grew excellent plants with this simple schedule.

But since then, we've explored and discovered some new things that are helpful for our particular crop, hence the Cat Drench, OG drench and Super Drench.

It works.

IMG_78574.JPG
IMG_78472.jpg

Back
Top Bottom