InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Yeah, those are aphids.
Hi,@mumps - you should work on getting rid of them first, like today...or 3 days from now there will be hundreds, shortly after that, thousands of them to deal with...
They're born alive (no eggs) and pregnant,so they're quick to infest a plant.
Shed uses Dr Bronners(unscented) Castile soap to kill them, but any insecticidal soap will do the trick.
You may have to spray every week or so to make sure they don't come back.

Keep in mind that the bugs must come into contact with the insecticidal soap while it is wet (spray as many as possible directly). It has no residual effect against the bastards. To avoid building up on the leaves (and possibly affecting photosynthesis), it’s a good idea to spray the plants down with some fresh water shortly afterward.

300 CFM should be plenty for a 5x5 up to 10 feet tall, would need a 6” fan pulling air through it

a friend lent me this:
Immagine11.jpg

and i was thinking i could use it to put air inside the tent

then im getting this which is 6'' and 300 cfm
22.jpg

with another vent like this to send air outside the tent:
ww.jpg

would i be good?
ty

I recommend bud washing. Highly.

I would also. But the Safers stuff, in particular, is devilishly difficult to get off if you let it build up on the sugar leaves/flowers. I learned that last year when I was waging war against the aphids. I did a pretty thorough bud washing (1 bucket with H2O2, one with lemon juice, and four fresh water rinse buckets). I still ended up with a Safers taste, which prompted me to toss almost 4 oz out. Be forewarned. Since it doesn’t do anything against the bugs once it dries, you might as well rinse it off right away after it does its job.

Hey there Shed. I was cruising the www yesterday and was surprised to see that cukes have a surprise in their skin.
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.56.18 AM.png
Great find Otter Cucumbers give me really Bad heartburn but my wife Loves them, I like them too I just cant eat them. I get heartburn easy. I have had stomach problems for years

a friend lent me this:
Immagine11.jpg

and i was thinking i could use it to put air inside the tent

then im getting this which is 6'' and 300 cfm
22.jpg

with another vent like this to send air outside the tent:
ww.jpg

would i be good?
ty

I will PM you so as not to interrupt Shed’s journal.

Hi Shed, just one more bit about the silicon and cukes. I wouldn't have thought I'd find this: If you don't have time for it. It's about the silicon in warty cucumber skin. It's in the warts. I'd think an equal amount in weight of brown sugar and warty cucumber skin in a lightly covered jar for a month or so at room temp could make some. But i'm not at all sure.

Hi Shed, just one more bit about the silicon and cukes. I wouldn't have thought I'd find this: If you don't have time for it. It's about the silicon in warty cucumber skin. It's in the warts. I'd think an equal amount in weight of brown sugar and warty cucumber skin in a lightly covered jar for a month or so at room temp could make some. But i'm not at all sure.
If it has silica in it you could just as easily get it out by steeping it in water, like a Tea. Soon as you add brown sugar to these things for nutrient extraction you get a whole lot of other stuff going on – I’m not a fan myself, of adding sugar.

For Shed’s purposes though I don’t think you could easily know how much was in it, i.e. what concentration, no matter how you extract… And that won’t work for our Shed buddy! :laughtwo:

for me though, I’m going to be adding some to simple Stinging nettle or casuarina (our equisetum) teas down the track, thanks otter :ciao:

Highya ITS, Amy, SO, and everyone,

I just wanted to chime in here about the nettles and sugar. Sorry that you don't care for the sugar extraction method. I used it last year, and it worked great for me. I have a batch of nettles going now, and will start another in the next couple days (w/brown sugar). Also ready is dandelion blossoms. The extracts from those will help feed my cannabis ladies around the flowering time. Again, I'm pleased with last year's results, so I'll continue. Happy Smokin'

Yeah, those are aphids.
Hi,@mumps - you should work on getting rid of them first, like today...or 3 days from now there will be hundreds, shortly after that, thousands of them to deal with...
They're born alive (no eggs) and pregnant,so they're quick to infest a plant.
Shed uses Dr Bronners(unscented) Castile soap to kill them, but any insecticidal soap will do the trick.
You may have to spray every week or so to make sure they don't come back.

Wait did you say they are born pregnant...?

I will PM you so as not to interrupt Shed’s journal.

Sheds journal is a playground for interruptions and sidebars!

Highya ITS, Amy, SO, and everyone,

I just wanted to chime in here about the nettles and sugar. Sorry that you don't care for the sugar extraction method. I used it last year, and it worked great for me. I have a batch of nettles going now, and will start another in the next couple days (w/brown sugar). Also ready is dandelion blossoms. The extracts from those will help feed my cannabis ladies around the flowering time. Again, I'm pleased with last year's results, so I'll continue. Happy Smokin'
:thumb: HI Bode - lots of people do make teas and FPJs w sugar, I know! I just didnt like it much and have read a few things about it being more prone to going off and making microbes “lazy” LOL. Not a very technical way of describing it I know! My brain tires easily. It’s mostly about wanting the microbes to eat other things than sugar. It’s a preference only not a criticism or directive :love: . I just wanted to include that it is possible to do it without it :)

Back
Top Bottom