Lady Cannafan's Seedsman Comparative Grow Banana Jealousy ViparSpectra KS5000

Question on storing plant water:

I am keeping excess rainwater for my grow in a large rubber barrel in my garage. Probably 50 gallon or more capacity.
Is there anything I can put in the stored water that won't harm my plants, to prevent algae forming, or mosquito larvae away when it starts getting hot here?
Might be able to use the Sierra Natural Science stuff for mosquitoes. Algae needs light so, as long as it’s dark you should be good there.
They make algicide but I don’t know if I’d risk it on something I was going to consume.

Might be able to use the Sierra Natural Science stuff for mosquitoes. Algae needs light so, as long as it’s dark you should be good there.
They make algicide but I don’t know if I’d risk it on something I was going to consume.
The container is near a large window in the garage, so light might become a problem. I'm going to fabricate a lid for it.
That won't stop the skeeter larvae, those suckers are relentless about getting into standing water, but it will stop any algae forming. Thanks!
Edit: I've got some SNS-209 that I use in case of fungus gnats in the grow room. Haven't had an issue in the upstairs grow room, but used to have that problem in the basement grow years ago. Little bat rastards!

I am keeping excess rainwater for my grow in a large rubber barrel in my garage. Probably 50 gallon or more capacity.
Is there anything I can put in the stored water that won't harm my plants, to prevent algae forming, or mosquito larvae away when it starts getting hot here?
A goldfish

The container is near a large window in the garage, so light might become a problem. I'm going to fabricate a lid for it.
That won't stop the skeeter larvae, those suckers are relentless about getting into standing water, but it will stop any algae forming. Thanks!
Edit: I've got some SNS-209 that I use in case of fungus gnats in the grow room. Haven't had an issue in the upstairs grow room, but used to have that problem in the basement grow years ago. Little bat rastards!
That's why I suggested a goldfish. It'll eat the skeeters. An the aerator pump would keep the water from stagnation

That's why I suggested a goldfish. It'll eat the skeeters. An the aerator pump would keep the water from stagnation
I put a bubbler in it this afternoon, small air pump with a long hose. That should suffice. It won't be sitting around there for long periods of time, and will get used first then refilled as more rainwater is collected. Mosquito larvae happens very quickly, within a week to ten days and they are mature.
The goldfish is a unique idea. I can see myself scooping it out when I fill my jugs. :laugh:
It would be an awfully dark home for it though, it's a solid black rubber container.

I put a bubbler in it this afternoon, small air pump with a long hose. That should suffice. It won't be sitting around there for long periods of time, and will get used first then refilled as more rainwater is collected. Mosquito larvae happens very quickly, within a week to ten days and they are mature.
The goldfish is a unique idea. I can see myself scooping it out when I fill my jugs. :laugh:
It would be an awfully dark home for it though, it's a solid black rubber container.
You're probably right, I was just thinking of an old cowboy trick used on horse farms. Goldfish in the watering tank. Well, maybe after you get a fresh round of water in there you can concoct a screen with tiny holes..cheese cloth or something tiny screen to prevent the mosquitoes from entering the container.

Good morning!:yummy:

Update: We are halfway through week 7
They got fed and watered today, and tightened up some training. Watering/feed about every 4 days, except Bonnie. She seems to require a little more than the others. Probably because she's a fuller plant.

I'm thinking I will let these go through week 9 before flipping in order to have that one week for the RQS to catch up more, then all can be flipped to 12/12 at the same time.

So here they all are:

5 gallon pots and I are not getting along with an indoor grow, so I have to rethink how I move them around. I lifted one to move it after watering/feed and that freaking nerve in my back snapped.
I am currently vaping some White Widow XXL to help with the pain and hitting some tunes.

First up, a reminiscence from the days of the Doors

The dark was the start of what I was going for then I saw you got great advice!
5 gallon pots and I are not getting along with an indoor grow, so I have to rethink how I move them around.
Oofa! Carts, tiny two wheelers and anything that helps now! :D

I swear I'm going to set up a lounge chair in the grow room where it's warm while this back heals. It's so freaking cold out, rainy...yukky. I think it's because I got the lawn mower ready to go out. The lingering old man cold-as-azz didn't like that thought.
I'm refusing to turn that furnace back on unless I start seeing frost on my breath. 😏

Anyway....hope ya'll are having a great day.

Good Mornfternoon friends.......

Roots! This is one of the clones taken from Lois on the 11th. I've planted this one and another from the 5th into solo cups and they've gone back into the Ecosphere mushroom tent for a week or so. Then I'll start checking the bottoms to see if the roots are emerging from the drain holes, and put them under the homemade COB LED starter light.

I'm waiting on one more from the 5th that isn't looking promising, and two more from the 13th.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Back
Top Bottom