Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Just read an article about CA hiking fees on legal cannabis....I remember getting fleeced for insurance fees in my business, but this is ninja-level....

"Owner Phil Blurton said he pays a fortune in taxes and fees, including a $22,600 annual licensing fee to Sacramento, a $96,000 annual licensing fee to California. Last year, his business operation tax was $400,000, which he said most traditional businesses only pay $5,000. On top of that, he said he pays the state sales tax of 8.75%, plus the cannabis city tax of 4%, and a cannabis state tax of 15% on 60% of whatever product he buys from distributors. Next year, that number will jump to a 15% tax on 80% of the product he buys from distributors."

So, no idea on what actual retail prices are, but clearly a huge % isn't going to the business owner. In Maine we still haven't gotten any recreational sales organized...almost 3 years after the law passed. But since most people grow , or know someone who grows, there isn't any real need for retail recreational sales.

Learning already. You were 100% correct that by under-filling my pots I effectively have 2 gallon not 3 gallon pots. I went back to my soil and amendments notes...exactly 32 cups = 2 gallons. Day 25 from overnight seed soak...time to top (once) and start LST this weekend. Will build scrog next week.
:thumb: even if you filled the remaining 33% space with crap soil, that is still extra room for roots (and moisture) to occupy. Since I grow in my own soil w/o adding nutrients, I get as much as I can in fabric pot from the start...usually 7g...and by the end of the grow the pot will be hard with roots.

Highya BH,

I've seen a cannabis store in Jefferson (Rt. 17) going to Togus. The marquis says $5 grams. They advertise dabs and shatter as well. I've been in there before is was a cannabis outlet, but not since.

Hard to believe Ca. with all the additional fees they add to the purchase. Another reason to DIY! Cheers

Why are you starting in Dec. Is that not a little early for photos ? I am pursuing in the green house .
I was on the fence about what and where to do a winter grow, but for sure I am only doing one crop (as opposed to 2x last winter). If I do it at the Cottage I need to start in Dec because I have last guests of season arriving for the week...then I have options. Autos worked well for me in the GH because I could run the lights for 16-18 hours and they provided most of the warmth for the long dark nights...so I am worried that photos might not be so lucky when in 12/12.

We have a retirement community across the road from our farm...we take the kids there for trick or treating and Christmas carols...always feel great leaving afterwards because most of the residents are so stoked to interact. Which made me think I should go to their management and suggest starting a Winter Cannabis Club! My wife side-eyed me on this but I think it's a perfect winter project...for all the reasons we can attest to here....anybody out there here about this anywhere else?

I've never heard about a cannabis club (But I am sheltered). Sounds like a great project. Do you think the management is approachable? Keep me posted, please. Sounds cool! Cheers

I've never heard about a cannabis club (But I am sheltered). Sounds like a great project. Do you think the management is approachable? Keep me posted, please. Sounds cool! Cheers
The Director is my kid's soccer coach, and they know us as a family, so the short answer is probably they are approachable. I was just made aware that they fiiiiinally updated the Maine laws to 3x mature plants per adult...which is another reason to get a group going (and grow BIG plants)...you are allowed to grow other people's 3x plants (though technically it appears the law states they have to tend to them...but doesn't say I can't :cheesygrinsmiley: )

How would they ever enforce that? Unless you're growing 20+ plants my hunch is that they will neither care nor have time to.

As long as you're not selling it off should be fine.

Same here in California - if you don't have a bunch of equipment that makes it look like you're going to distribute it then you're OK with bending the limit - not that I condone it.

not that I condone it.
:laugh:

Agreed overall....they wouldn't enforce it unless you are a dick and totally causing a stink...I actually know the LEO that would have to enforce it...they are from the Dept of Ag...and they are already overworked with their regular workload...and they would be far more compelled to enforce their portfolio of federally funded local farmers (as I was at one point).

Personally I just like to know I am 100% legit, or at least able to roll with any repercussions...like a fine...which, again, wouldn't happen.

But there is something beautiful in the idea that you can fill a GH with a bunch of cannabis belonging to the Greatest Generation across the street.

Alaska is like that too. 2 adults in a house can do up to 12 plants with a max of 6 in flower.... but the ravin act protect you up to 25 so long as it's for personal consumption.

Hey penny hope all is well in your neck of the woods

Alaska is like that too. 2 adults in a house can do up to 12 plants with a max of 6 in flower.... but the ravin act protect you up to 25 so long as it's for personal consumption.

Hey penny hope all is well in your neck of the woods
Yo Dab it's been a long ass time since I saw you here...hope all is well.

Maine allows 12x plants (not in flower) and unlimited seedlings per person....which is why I was running autos in combination with photos (in the GH)...I could harvest the autos before the photos hit flower.

Yo Dab it's been a long ass time since I saw you here...hope all is well.

Maine allows 12x plants (not in flower) and unlimited seedlings per person....which is why I was running autos in combination with photos (in the GH)...I could harvest the autos before the photos hit flower.
Ohh makes sense. I like that rule cause male plants ya know?!
I've been good been a busy year fur us we had a little boy this summer so hands have been full. The greenhouse looks killer loved that pic you submitted.

I also think I managed to combine a post meant for pennywise in my last post, whoops!

Anyways keep up the great GH work. Way to kill it

:bravo: on your GH grow 2019.

I hope you do get the 'older kids' a cross the road involved in MJ Gardening.
Enjoying yourself having fun and spending time with the kids a cross the road, it's rewarding.
Thanks for the great photos.

Back
Top Bottom