Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

:passitleft: High Rad... I grow lavender outside and I use it as cut flowers to kinda off set the MJ smell... I rarely run my filters... don't really have a reason why... just don't... but the lavender is very pleasant to me and when it does mix with the MJ again I think it is nice but I like the smell of ganja... I find it most relaxing when I am in my garden room and my lavender is smelling all nice and sweet...:blushsmile:
Glad to see you running another journal...:popcorn:.....:circle-of-love:

Hey Dennise. Thanks for the virtual puff- puff - pass :passitleft:
I am so used to the smell of Ganja, even though I rarely smoke, that I can't tell I need a filter - but with the po-po patroling our street and the nearby street corner at least a dozen times a day - a filter is needed :)

I did some work on ventilation today

Before - a view from inside the future grow area. Looking out is my temporary work table with the top strip of the baseboards I am sanding. The (free at auction) vintage stereo in the dark background was playing 'Harden My Heart' by Quarterflash

20160924_123410.jpg

After - the fan from my old flower room. The manual says it can be mounted at any angle, so I removed the mounting hardware and stuffed it into the existing hole.

20160924_163457.jpg

Considering the hole needed plugging to block the light, and considering the difficulty of making a round hole in a brick wall - I'd say I lucked out big time with the fit :) I didn't even need to trim the insulation I found on the floor nearby.

20160924_162255.jpg

Ordinarily, a 6" duct exiting the middle of a wall would stand out like sore toe - but since it is right near the HVAC 'octopus' with 6" duct tentacles, the new duct work blends right in :)

20160924_162310.jpg

So, whilst visiting the House of the Seven Gables in Salem today, I may have discovered the reason for your arched ceiling.
In their basement (tour didn't go there, but they had photos) I saw a similar configuration. The arch was to support a fireplace and chimney stack starting on the floor above. The arch supports the large weight much better than the straight timbers.
Think of bridges and their arched supports. Same thing... just in a house.
Got a fireplace above your arch?

Oh... and what a pond for a old house nerd of a duck these tours have been.

So, whilst visiting the House of the Seven Gables in Salem today, I may have discovered the reason for your arched ceiling.
In their basement (tour didn't go there, but they had photos) I saw a similar configuration. The arch was to support a fireplace and chimney stack starting on the floor above. The arch supports the large weight much better than the straight timbers.
Think of bridges and their arched supports. Same thing... just in a house.
Got a fireplace above your arch?

Oh... and what a pond for a old house nerd of a duck these tours have been.

There is a brick ash box supporting the fireplace adjacent to the arched area. The interior depth of the ash catcher box is actually longer than my fireplace irons can reach. The area above the arch might support part of the tile skirt in front of the fireplace, but it mostly supports :tommy: :tommy: open floor.

I haven't been on the standard House of Seven Gables tour, just their october special pre-hallowe'en night-time tour.

Damn... forgot to talk about some of that.
They had to do that in the days before lines chimneys when they used like twice as much brick for fireplaces and chimneys which, of course, translates to a lot more weight.

My chimney is massive, beginning with a 6x3' base 8' underground, continuing up 20' through the 1st and 2ndfloors, then appearing in the attick as a 3x1.5' stack that moves diagonally up about 9' of attic and then going straight for a few feet above the roof. The original owner of this house was a master mason who worked on at least 6 large local brick buildings that are still in use 100+ years later. The smallest of his known buildings is a church. I imagine he had a hand in constructing the fireplace.

It's great to see you settling in Rad, Subscribed

:love::cco::love:

Welcome back! Can't wait to follow along!

YT

Welcome yourself. You've been growing some very healthy looking girls. I'd love to have plants so vibrantly alive.

It's great to see you settling in Rad, Subscribed

:love::cco::love:

The grow area is just starting to get settled. I still have only half a plan for the grow facilities. So far, the only things I have purchased new for this grow are Doc Bud soil and some power outlets. Everything else is recycled from the last grow or found among the stuff left in the house when we bought it.

Welcome. I appreciate the company and the advice.
Between basic, workable environmentals and the collected wisdom of :420: , I feel confident I can muddle my way through to some good harvests.

I want to see your house... I have a feeling it's amazing...:goodjob:....:circle-of-love:

Our house is amazingly full ! :rofl:

The 2nd floor bedrooms are in pretty good shape but pending wall decorations and mirrors. The bathroom on the 2nd floor has a new, mud colored vinyl floor. The recentypainted textured bathroom ceiling is falling down in money sized flakes. We are planning on redoing it in a mermaid motif. This week, we purchased a few dozen sea shells and a pair of brass goldfish towel rings at auction. The sideboard that holds the double sinks will be repainted in watery colors. I have some ideas about expanding and sissifying the shower curtain oval around the clawfoot tub - but the details need a little more cooking time. Where a 'normal' observer would see the mud colored floors and ceiling with 40% of the paint gone, we see that we have removed almost half the ceiling paint and have the bones and plan for a lovely room. Our goal for the bathroom is drag queen extragavaganza :)

The ground floor has two liveable rooms (living room and kitchen) awaiting woodwork repairs, repainting and decorating. The office/parlor is being repainted and getting baseboard, window frame and door frame trim refinishing. The cheap crown molding has been removed and will be repainted a light green before it is re-installed. The other five hallway and room spaces are filled with boxes, furniture, and decorations. It's pretty crowded as one steps through the front door.

Just prior to reading your post I was trying to plan out how to free up enough space for a small barrister bookcase and an amazingly expandable table w/6 chairs (also purchased at auction) to fit inside the house. If I didn't know first hand how well my wife does at creating a richly layered and textured decor out of caos, I would be panicking - but at least it's mostly clean now :)

p.s.- - Please feel free to skip these long, off-topic posts in the future. Dennise touched a live wire there :love:

I bet it is going to be amazing... I had the same visions for my little farm house and very slowly but none the less surely it is getting better... Only full room left to do is the kitchen... I want everything done yesterday but apparently things don't work that way... Hope you have a blessed and green day my friend....:circle-of-love:

I have a fiery sore throat and a fever today. The 10 mile trip to pick up the barrister bookcase tired me out, so nothing grow room will change today.

My schedule tomorrow involves paid work, painting, moving boxes, and moving furniture. If I feel this bad tomorrow I will skip painting and paid employment. Either way, I don't expect to start on the grow room electrical outlets before Thursday.

I have a fiery sore throat and a fever today. The 10 mile trip to pick up the barrister bookcase tired me out, so nothing grow room will change today.

My schedule tomorrow involves paid work, painting, moving boxes, and moving furniture. If I feel this bad tomorrow I will skip painting and paid employment. Either way, I don't expect to start on the grow room electrical outlets before Thursday.

You just get better. My recommendation is honey/syrup with chopped onion for sore throat, the onion will release the juice to the honey. Slice of ginger is good too. Lots of vitamins and you will be good to go! Health is important. :love: :Namaste:

Soil: Day 25

My Hi-Brix mix has 'cooking' in the garage since Sep 3. I took a look at it today.

The mix is light and fluffy, not bone dry but not moist to the feel. The water probe shows moisture 3" down. The Hi-Brix mix shakes right off my hairy arm.
I don't see or smell any hint of fungal hyphae or microbial activity. The 1/4 inch next to the sides of the yard cart is dry.

Garage temps have been daytime 80s, nighttime 60s. Soon to be nighttime 50s. If I move the yard cart into the basement it would be 68 day and night.

20160927_152919.jpg

My Hi-Brix mix has 'cooking' in the garage since Sep 3. I took a look at it today.

The mix is light and fluffy, not bone dry but not moist to the feel. The water probe shows moisture 3" down. The Hi-Brix mix shakes right off my hairy arm.
I don't see or smell any hint of fungal hyphae or microbial activity. The 1/4 inch next to the sides of the yard cart is dry.

Garage temps have been daytime 80s, nighttime 60s. Soon to be nighttime 50s. If I move the yard cart into the basement it would be 68 day and night.

20160927_152919.jpg

This is pretty much identical to my current batch of soil, it is first run since Feb. Due to my ongoing grow I have been adding leaves and scraps to my soil bins (I have a large bin of new soil and a smaller bin of 2nd run). I have been sprinkling some Roots on the leaves. My 2nd run cooking soil is showing fuzziness, quite happy about that. I should check my larger bin to see if action is happening. I have seen some older posts of people showing off some hella living soil with the kit.

20160927_152919.jpg

You're good. The soil will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom