Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

First to break soil Amherst Sour Diesel and AK47

Amherst Sour Diesel

20161012_123740-1.jpg

AK47

20161012_123835-2.jpg

I said break soil, not stand up :)

The worms are actively preparing castings to reinvigorate the soil after harvest.

20161012_125635.jpg

Pretty cool with the worms! Whatcha feed em?

Pretty cool with the worms! Whatcha feed em?

The worms day to day diet is organic bannana peels cut into strips with scissors. About once a month I sprinkle in basalt rock dust and then spray the dust moist. When I defoliate or harvest, they get cannabis leaves. Melon rinds when we eat melons (they love water melon rinds) but I have to remove husks after 2-3 weeks. Everything else they consume the whole thing :)

Today : 3 of 4 sprouts are up

Amherst Sour Diesel and AK47 (lost picture) opened up.

20161013_085215-1.jpg

HSO Buddha's Gift broke ground.

20161013_085249-1.jpg

45 degrees overnight, but temps stayed excellent in the basement. I may not need to plug in the portable oil heater.

20161013_085312-1.jpg

I love October gifts in the mail

What's in the moderately heavy package?

20161013_084925-1.jpg

It's a pretty air filter :)

20161013_085121-1.jpg

A good size, I'l finish up the ducting and order a pre-filter in the next couple of weeks.

20161013_085159-1.jpg

The worms day to day diet is organic bannana peels cut into strips with scissors. About once a month I sprinkle in basalt rock dust and then spray the dust moist. When I defoliate or harvest, they get cannabis leaves. Melon rinds when we eat melons (they love water melon rinds) but I have to remove husks after 2-3 weeks. Everything else they consume the whole thing :)

Very cool. I wonder what the potassium levels are in the castings? The melon diet causes me some small worry. Keeping the K levels down is CRITICAL for achieving high brix.

We shall see. Did you cook the soil with this or use another brand?

Rad...fwiw Phresh includes the pre filter w/ filter purchase. Should be in the box. ?? :Namaste:

Yeah, mine came with one...

Kind of a question of looking a gift horse in the mouth, The filter is not used, but not new in box.

:) What's a pre-filter Rad? I've never used an air filter for growing before. I wouldn't have looked for that.

A pre-filter is a washable fabric 'sock' that slips over the whole filter and traps hair, leaves and large particles before they clog the carbon in the filter. Sounds like a very good thing to use :)

Great news on retaining the heat in the basement. Save money on that heating! Hoping mine does well too. So far, so good. ;-)

Happy Birthday to the babies!!!

:circle-of-love:

It was 35 degrees outside before dawn this morning. So far so good!

I spent most of this afternoon winterizing the back yard and garage - including bringing the remaining cooked soil indoors from the garage.

The 3 babies were taller this morning. Still waiting on the Borderliner to sprout :)

Very cool. I wonder what the potassium levels are in the castings? The melon diet causes me some small worry. Keeping the K levels down is CRITICAL for achieving high brix.

We shall see. Did you cook the soil with this or use another brand?

I used Wiggle Worm brand casting for cooking the soil.
Melons were only added to tray #3, and are probably about 15% of the mix - but will be down to about 5% when I finish adding food.
Tray #1 is about 20% cannabis leaves, 80% bannana and about 40 ground eggshells.
Tray #2 is about 99% bannana peels.

I can use tray #3 for flowers and herbs if you think the melon provides too much k.

I stopped adding egghells when I heard they have low bioavailability until they break down, but I was considering trying toasted and ground eggshells in the future. This was my idea for perpetual soil, but I;m not doing eggshells now as I didn't want to mess with the cal/mag balance of The Kit.

I used Wiggle Worm brand casting for cooking the soil.
Melons were only added to tray #3, and are probably about 15% of the mix - but will be down to about 5% when I finish adding food.
Tray #1 is about 20% cannabis leaves, 80% bannana and about 40 ground eggshells.
Tray #2 is about 99% bannana peels.

I can use tray #3 for flowers and herbs if you think the melon provides too much k.

I stopped adding egghells when I heard they have low bioavailability until they break down, but I was considering trying toasted and ground eggshells in the future. This was my idea for perpetual soil, but I;m not doing eggshells now as I didn't want to mess with the cal/mag balance of The Kit.

I'm more concerned with the Ca/K ratio than the cal/mag ratio. And please don't think I'm saying your worms aren't good.....I simply don't know. Might be fun to get them tested.

Hey there Rad - congrats on the little ladies popping up in the new world.

Glad you're moving along with the home reno and getting your grow room all proper. Looking good buddy! :thumb:

I know a thing about old houses.. I'm in my youngest one now built 1905!! I could probably guess what used to use the big ass hole in the basement wall... likely some sort of coal furnace and it's ducting! I had one of those .... that was converted to an oil furnace completely covered with asbestos. We had to professionally ($$) remove that dinosaur before move in. Scary I tell ya.

I think you're going to LOVE the HSO gear you're starting with. I've had the best round to date growing some of them. Quality in quality out... genetics FTW. No substitute for genetics.

Anyways.... glad to see you back with the little ladies in the house. Lets get growing buddy.

Oh I have a question... did you do a proper a proper smudging of your new home? If you feel like sharing how you did it, I'd be super happy to read about it!

Hey there Rad - congrats on the little ladies popping up in the new world.
It's a pleasure to have plants in the basement. Even though the weather was a mildly breezy 80 today. There are a lot of leaves rustling their way to the ground. Growing plants help.

Since I have extra space at the ends of the light, I moved my spray cloner (currently with a single mint sprig) next to the table on one end and am planning a flat of lavender, camomile, etc on the other. I was going to use my clone domes for some terrarium growing, but I gave those away before the move :)

Glad you're moving along with the home reno and getting your grow room all proper. Looking good buddy! :thumb:

It looks better in photos, but the environmentals are good. I'm a little concerned about future humidity. My dehumifier drains into a sump so it is outside the room next to the furnace. Less effective there, but I think I'll be good through the winter growing.

I know a thing about old houses.. I'm in my youngest one now built 1905!! I could probably guess what used to use the big ass hole in the basement wall... likely some sort of coal furnace and it's ducting! I had one of those .... that was converted to an oil furnace completely covered with asbestos. We had to professionally ($$) remove that dinosaur before move in. Scary I tell ya.

The house is 1896 starting with coal and electric lighting - although it did seem to have a gas chandelier in the foyer. When I finish my exhaust ducting, I'll post a picture of the old coal box. It's location is odd. The closest I can come to making any sense is the front porch had a trap door for coal under the welcome mat for the front door. No evidence under the porch nowdays.

I think you're going to LOVE the HSO gear you're starting with. I've had the best round to date growing some of them. Quality in quality out... genetics FTW. No substitute for genetics.

Anyways.... glad to see you back with the little ladies in the house. Lets get growing buddy.

I have high hopes for the HSO genetics. The Buy Marijuana and Cannabis seeds online - straight from Amsterdam genetics (a sponsor) are good quality, but I suspect they are crosses of other breeders commercial strains. While their sibling seeds were reliable and tasty, I expect the HSO to be the standout strains. :)

It feels great to be growing again - even now while I'm at the "Now where did I put that ...." stage.

Oh I have a question... did you do a proper a proper smudging of your new home? If you feel like sharing how you did it, I'd be super happy to read about it!

Hmmm.

Members of the family did different smudges and/or chants simultaneously. I was on traditional plains indian duty: sweetgrass, sage and kinikinik burrning on an abalone shell with a ceremonially wrapped feather borrowed from the altar quickly set up by the front door. I thanked the 2 tribes known to have lived on this and nearby lands and the war leader who wrote down the history of their removal as I traversed 1st floor, basement and 2nd floor. In the attic, I spoke to the winds and the 4 directions. Other members of the family worked with Florida Water and tibetan sea salt with different thoughts and petitions. At the next full moon, the yard was warded at mid day with iron spikes.

I didn't really feel like we needed to do a thing, the land and house have been very welcoming. The neighbors have been friendly. I haven't noticed the resident ghosts after the first weeks, but there is a sort of background sensation from the new place that indicates more to come. I did make a promise to open up more to spirits at the end of this month. It should be interesting with the new moon as a harbinger to Hallowe'en. I have no real expectations. Often times fulfilling a promise is groundwork, as important and tedious as building a foundation :)

Nicely done so far! Great skills on the basement rebuild. And DBHBB, oh boy! Can't wait to see you posting those buds!

Thank you and Welcome Bumble :) I subbed your new thread but haven't started reading yet.

It feels like slow going to just have seeds and seedlings.

All yall are welcome to add a little spice by sharing a past grow photo.

I'll go grab something from a random page (82) to get you started

A bucket of clones

20151224_215443-11.jpg

The tip of a formerly long cola (Hawaiian Skunk)

20151227_142331-1.jpg

White widow? on the way into the flower room

20151224_172348-12.jpg

The Cable Guy

This morning at breakfast we saw the cable guy (well the underground fibre-optic guy) outside the kitchen window. The in-house phone and cable wiring all seems to pass through the grow room, something I definitely plan to change with the new install BUT I couldn't be sure.

The grow room went in stealth mode, Nothing to see here. Just mint and seed packages :)

20161018_100456.jpg

The wiring was outside only today. Inside wiring is scheduled for Thursday. I'll go better stealth on Thursday.

Taking the seedlings back out of hiding.

20161018_100701.jpg

Seedllngs back on the table under lowered lights

20161018_101009.jpg

Amherst Sour Diesel - Looking wider leafed than the advertised 60/40 Indica dominance.

20161018_101022-1.jpg

AK47 XTRM - Showing off the 75% Sativa leaf shape.

20161018_101030.jpg
[

Buddha's Gift - Supposedly almost pure Indica

20161018_101036-1.jpg

Borderliner - Another seed will take her spot if she doesn't sprout by Friday

20161018_101043-1.jpg

Since you asked for photos of past grows, here are the first 5 plants I grew, Mendocino Madness. Only the 2 closest (and smallest) plants turned out female.
MM_3_gal.jpg

And here those 2 girls are still in flower with weeks to go. Still on my first grow! (right and back, left is white widow, part of my 2nd grow.)
20161014_182446.jpg
20161014_182517.jpg

Back
Top Bottom