SB's Multi Strain - LED - Blue Planet Nutes - 2L-DWC-H & High Brix Trials 2012

yep, root rot
I'd suggest a good long sit in some water with the highest amount of Dutch masters Zone they suggest. If thats not avalible then I'd start hitting it with a soak in water and H202.
Yup. I'm doing that, but in a 2L to reduce waste. How long is "long"?
That looks nasty; I hope she recovers ok
Yup, when I went back in at lights on, she was droopy, and the res seemed clear, but no chances taken, I pulled her out, gave the roots a trim, pulled off all the loose roots, and sat her in DMZone with pH water and an airstone.
stopped by to say hi
hi. LoL, just in time to see me struggle :)

Damn Surfbuddy, that looks awfull. I've just had my first experiences with rootrot myself. Does it stink? Oh yea oh yea..
But I found, on the 2 liters, even without airstones. The roots startet too produce healthy root growt after res change with ph'd tapwater. My plants never did get droopy though, only thing givin away the rootrot was the smell and looks of the roots.
Probaly comes down too res temps, do you have control of yours? You could lower it a couple degrees by adding a cold air intake to blow on top of your water in the res. Or make the airstone intake be cooler air I guess. Hope you figure it out bro, sure is a sad sight. Peace out.

omg i hate that stuff! sounds like you have done right by her, seeing that was the main reason i decided against hydro ,some guys seem to never be bothered by it lucky ducks! :goodjob:u

IF you use DM Zone you really don't have to worry about root rot as the zone keeps the system sterile and the rot can't live or grow in a sterile system.............so no fear in hydro.

IF you use DM Zone you really don't have to worry about root rot as the zone keeps the system sterile and the rot can't live or grow in a sterile system.............so no fear in hydro.
A1, thank you for the suggestion. The Breakout looks much better today, that DMZone seems like magic stuff. I am bailing on hygrozyme as of now. +reps for the advice
omg i hate that stuff! sounds like you have done right by her, seeing that was the main reason i decided against hydro ,some guys seem to never be bothered by it lucky ducks! :goodjob:u
Yeah Root Rot Sux yo. And you know I was almost ready to throw in the towel until I tried that stuff DMZ. One day in a 2L with it has restored her happiness.
Damn Surfbuddy, that looks awfull. I've just had my first experiences with rootrot myself. Does it stink? Oh yea oh yea..
But I found, on the 2 liters, even without airstones. The roots startet too produce healthy root growt after res change with ph'd tapwater. My plants never did get droopy though, only thing givin away the rootrot was the smell and looks of the roots.
Probaly comes down too res temps, do you have control of yours? You could lower it a couple degrees by adding a cold air intake to blow on top of your water in the res. Or make the airstone intake be cooler air I guess. Hope you figure it out bro, sure is a sad sight. Peace out.

Yeah it did look really bad. It actually didn't stink too bad, surprisingly, since on my first DWC attempt, the res did get stinky. They were fine in the 2L's. it was when I switched to a 3gal and 2gal bucket that I had issues. And they were fine for a week, then the shit hit the fan.

I don't have a handle on res temps, actually, I should go back to a tub with frozen bottles until later in flower. But I got mold last time because of the xtra humidity (not sure it will get worse since it's already at 66-93. Thanks for the ideas.

But they are feeling better now:
Breakout is no longer droopy. I top fed with a small amount of the week 9 bloom, and she still has the DMZ +pH water below
BreakoutbetterDSC00494.jpg

Liberty Haze is finally starting to bud. She better hurry up if she will be done in 9 weeks.
LHbranchDSC00496.jpg

Just ordered myself some of that DM Zone - sounds like great stuff and i reckon prevention is better than cure. I haven't been running anything like that in my solution but think it's worth it, particularly as I had some res temp issues early on - if they come back again I don't want to get root rot and the fact the DMZ helps keep things sterile seems like a no-brainer and will make life easier in the long run.

Just ordered myself some of that DM Zone - sounds like great stuff and i reckon prevention is better than cure. I haven't been running anything like that in my solution but think it's worth it, particularly as I had some res temp issues early on - if they come back again I don't want to get root rot and the fact the DMZ helps keep things sterile seems like a no-brainer and will make life easier in the long run.

It really does! Still need to keep the res temps down as much as possible though because the plants need the oxygen. Hotter the res temps the less oxygen that gets to the roots and plant.
I have been using 5ml per 5 gallons and that seems to keep the rot away. When I had rot before I was regularly using DM Zone I went full strength and that seems to have kicked it's ass and my plants finished just fine.

Yes; completely agree - I reckon it's probably one of the quickest ways to get problems, a nice warm bath of nutes. Touch wood they're under control now but the DMZ is definitely going to give some additional peace of mind - thanks for the pointer!

Gawd Dayumm, man!! I go away for 2 frikkin days and you damn near kill everything?? What the hell is up with that? But... AK1 to the rescue with experience in fighting root rot. DMZONE is an AWESOME product to keep things sterile, and to improve root uptake. And with the recommended dosage with every water change, you can actually keep your res temps a little higher if you don't have a chiller and not worry about pithium.

You should also go up to AT LEAST quarter strength nutes by now, if not half.

To: AK1 Your help has become a valuable asset in this forum. Keep it up, brother!

Surf,
Just happy to help. I didn't figure out how to fight root rot. Everything I learned was from Bassman and Xlr8 turned me onto the DM Zone so thank them! I just past along the information that was passed onto me :)
Very happy it helped though.
I will wander over there and thank them, but you still get the reps for saving my ass.

Yup, I got two quarts from the local hydro store since i was in such a fit.

It really does! Still need to keep the res temps down as much as possible though because the plants need the oxygen. Hotter the res temps the less oxygen that gets to the roots and plant.
I have been using 5ml per 5 gallons and that seems to keep the rot away. When I had rot before I was regularly using DM Zone I went full strength and that seems to have kicked it's ass and my plants finished just fine.
I just added some frozen water bottles to the external tub. Hopefully that helps.

Gawd Dayumm, man!! I go away for 2 frikkin days and you damn near kill everything?? What the hell is up with that? But... AK1 to the rescue with experience in fighting root rot. DMZONE is an AWESOME product to keep things sterile, and to improve root uptake. And with the recommended dosage with every water change, you can actually keep your res temps a little higher if you don't have a chiller and not worry about pithium.

You should also go up to AT LEAST quarter strength nutes by now, if not half.

To: AK1 Your help has become a valuable asset in this forum. Keep it up, brother!
LOL yeah, where were you when I needed you? I hope you're satisfied! We need you here Jandre! LoL. Just kidding of course. Not really. Seriously. Just kidding. Sort of. lol

I had gone up to full strength nutes, but just peeked in and she looked sad again! I pulled her out and she had slime on the roots! I had only used regular stregnth DMZ (instead of aggressive) in the nute mix, but I guess I needed to be more aggro. I have pulled her from the 3 gal and she's back in a 2L with DMZ full strength and some silica (it's the pH water I had). I hope she cheers up soon.

You think I should dump the big res again? Or just add more DMZ to the tub to make it aggro strength?

THANKS!
:surf:

Go Aggro... nothing like making bacteria squish from too much pressure! Dump and reset the whole res, do a thorough clean, in and out, reset, pH it, add DMZ and retest for pH.

Roger that. Will dom even though i just did that yesterday! LoL (minus the aggro)

Roger that. Will dom even though i just did that yesterday! LoL (minus the aggro)

I mean a TOTAL BREAKDOWN... Take the pumps apart, all the tubing, soak in bleach bath. Soak your res in a H2O2 for an hour. Mix up a batch of 4TBSP H2O2/Gal water and spray it off your roots with a spray bottle filled with it. Clean the roots as well as you can before you refill the res and reset your system.

I mean a TOTAL BREAKDOWN... Take the pumps apart, all the tubing, soak in bleach bath. Soak your res in a H2O2 for an hour. Mix up a batch of 4TBSP H2O2/Gal water and spray it off your roots with a spray bottle filled with it. Clean the roots as well as you can before you refill the res and reset your system.

I have no water pumps, just air pumps, but should soak tubing in bleach or replace. I didn't soak the res in h202 for that long but used vinegar instead. I soaked the roots in h2o2 water before the DMZone, and then just chopped away all the bad shit and manually cleaned it up.

Project for tomorrow. Check.
Time for project.umm will make it happen.
temp solution by using a 2L. priceless.

Maybe Ill just finish her in a 2L. damn hydro.

You will have issues in hydro until you get it figured out. Just the way it is I'm afraid but, we are here to help. Jandre gave you some good information there. You will have issues in hydro until you have it figured out but, we are here to help you get it figured out.

So, with that said let me explain how I clean a system. I have to do this everytime I finish a grow and breakdown the system.
Also understand that I buy H202 in 5 gallon buckets, I also keep 5 to 7 gallon of bleach on hand.

I start filling my bathtub with hot water, while it's filling I had 1/4 gallon of H202 and fill the tub until everything in the tub is covered with water. What do I put in the tub? All my airstones, all hoses and all pumps. I get an extension cord and run all my pumps for a few minutes and then shut them off. I let that sit for half an hour.
I drain the tub and then refill with hot water again and use a 1/4 gallon of bleach. Again, I run each pump a few minutes and let eveything sit for half an hour.
Again, drain everything with hot water and this time add nothing. I rinse everything very well and run each pump for a few minutes. Drain the tub and then I put everything back tpogether.
If it cannot fit into the tub for a soak then I have a spray bottle with a water/bleach mixture and I spray completely and then I wipe everything down. I then do it again but this time with vinegar........................yeah I know, lotsa work but you don't want that shit to be passed on.

Hope this helps!

You will have issues in hydro until you get it figured out. Just the way it is I'm afraid but, we are here to help. Jandre gave you some good information there. You will have issues in hydro until you have it figured out but, we are here to help you get it figured out.

So, with that said let me explain how I clean a system. I have to do this everytime I finish a grow and breakdown the system.
Also understand that I buy H202 in 5 gallon buckets, I also keep 5 to 7 gallon of bleach on hand.

I start filling my bathtub with hot water, while it's filling I had 1/4 gallon of H202 and fill the tub until everything in the tub is covered with water. What do I put in the tub? All my airstones, all hoses and all pumps. I get an extension cord and run all my pumps for a few minutes and then shut them off. I let that sit for half an hour.
I drain the tub and then refill with hot water again and use a 1/4 gallon of bleach. Again, I run each pump a few minutes and let eveything sit for half an hour.
Again, drain everything with hot water and this time add nothing. I rinse everything very well and run each pump for a few minutes. Drain the tub and then I put everything back tpogether.
If it cannot fit into the tub for a soak then I have a spray bottle with a water/bleach mixture and I spray completely and then I wipe everything down. I then do it again but this time with vinegar........................yeah I know, lotsa work but you don't want that shit to be passed on.

Hope this helps!
Yes. It helps! Now I know what it takes...

Back
Top Bottom