Somehow it's Working - Soil, Sun & CFL's

Hey Blue :ganjamon:

I must have picked up some cleaning vibes from you! I swept up and picked up stuff all day today then vacuumed up....that should hold me for a couple of years! :)

Can't remember, you have reflective walls? A good flat white paint is 95% reflective. Will make it warmer in the winter. I hear there's cold headed your way.
Weather man here said that from December on we will be having much, much rain. Many wash away floods. Rain hits these straight up mountains and comes flash flooding down. Gonna be some Hawaiian fun :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Even paradise has it's problems my friend. I'm too lazy to paint, but I did see some reflective mylar at that hydro shop. I think I'll be getting some for this upcoming hempy grow, stop by when you can. But first these girls have to finish.

I just don't get it. 14 freaking weeks of flower and still hardly any amber. Worse hardly any buzz off the test buds. Worse still B5 and Big Amber ain't looking too healthy. These seeds came from stuff I smoked that was waaaay better than the results I'm seeing so I'm holding out hope, but it's really kinda depressing.

Dawg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you going to seriously need a good lite. 600 watts? sell a oz and you'll love the ease. Thats alot of blubs you got. It's nice to be able to move them around I guess, just looks like alot of work. And you probly really not saving much on juice. Just got to get that start up monies for ur 'first' lite. Once you get started, plan on filling up your whole house with I call them prodjects. Most people call them plants. I tend to over populate myself. But I hope that pot you got growing is screamer. That long might be some off the hook shit. Keepem Green

Dawg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you going to seriously need a good lite. 600 watts? sell a oz and you'll love the ease. Thats alot of blubs you got. It's nice to be able to move them around I guess, just looks like alot of work. And you probly really not saving much on juice. Just got to get that start up monies for ur 'first' lite. Once you get started, plan on filling up your whole house with I call them prodjects. Most people call them plants. I tend to over populate myself. But I hope that pot you got growing is screamer. That long might be some off the hook shit. Keepem Green

I'm wondering about the lights too Wood. However these girls spent a lot of time out in the sun, and lots of people have flowered with cfl's with good results.

I guess it doesn't make sense but a 600 watt hid sounds a lot more dangerous to me than the equiv watts in cfl's.

If this harvest sucks I'll rethink my position.

Hope you're right about it being 'off the hook shit' lol! I'll take that!

Even paradise has it's problems my friend. I'm too lazy to paint, but I did see some reflective mylar at that hydro shop. I think I'll be getting some for this upcoming hempy grow, stop by when you can. But first these girls have to finish.

I just don't get it. 14 freaking weeks of flower and still hardly any amber. Worse hardly any buzz off the test buds. Worse still B5 and Big Amber ain't looking too healthy. These seeds came from stuff I smoked that was waaaay better than the results I'm seeing so I'm holding out hope, but it's really kinda depressing.

Hi Blue I said paint.....I was having a senior moment and couldn't think of Mylar. It's easier like you said. No problem watching your Hempy Grow. Amazing way to grow! Would try it too if i could.

I can't tell you what to do, however I had a girl that went 120 days and when I finally harvested her, she was not too good. You may just me wasting time. However after all this time growing her you do have to see what happens. The other two are not doing good? Check it all again and plod on. Sorry they are holding you back. :smokin::smokin:

Hi Blue I said paint.....I was having a senior moment and couldn't think of Mylar. It's easier like you said. No problem watching your Hempy Grow. Amazing way to grow! Would try it too if i could.

I can't tell you what to do, however I had a girl that went 120 days and when I finally harvested her, she was not too good. You may just me wasting time. However after all this time growing her you do have to see what happens. The other two are not doing good? Check it all again and plod on. Sorry they are holding you back. :smokin::smokin:

Aloha soon to be Member of the Month :)

We need to get you out on the campaign trail soon, I'm lining up 87 grows for us to visit and spread the word:thumb:

I dunno what to do with the girls. I gave them osmocote plus last week, that's all they're getting plus water of course. They're on their own.

I'm also cutting way back on the lighting, I feel like I'm throwing good money after bad and they don't look too happy with the heat. It's gotten pretty hot here again, although not very humid. I'm thinking I'll blast them with the lights for 4-5 hours each morning then they'll just get what sunlight leaks into the room after that, what do you think?

The only one who looks pretty happy is B1, the big sativa. I still have high hopes for her.

Peace my friend.

Home Depot (or Lowes) also have a sheet of 4x8 foam covered in reflective foil...some kind of insulation I think, but it makes a dandy quick up and quick down room. Even faster than a tent. Requires a razor knife and duct tape to build.Runs from 1/2 in to about an inch thick. Cool stuff

Home Depot (or Lowes) also have a sheet of 4x8 foam covered in reflective foil...some kind of insulation I think, but it makes a dandy quick up and quick down room. Even faster than a tent. Requires a razor knife and duct tape to build.Runs from 1/2 in to about an inch thick. Cool stuff

Thanks Chopper I'll look for that. I've got both stores very close by, plus a Wal-Mart. Pretty much everything I need to grow between those 3.

I should change the name of this thread to 'Somehow I've Screwed it Up".

Not much to report. Today marks 15 full weeks of flower. That's 105 long days. Sample buds aren't very good. Most of the trichs are still clear, some cloudy. Very little amber.

B5 definitely purpled, she's still not doing that well but at least all her leaves aren't dying. Big Amber is hanging in there, and B1 my big sativa still looks great.

They're only getting about 6 hrs under the lights, the rest is indirect room lighting. Maybe that will convince them to move things along.

That's it for now.

Nothing like a good buzz to improve one's outlook on things.

Test buds from Big Amber this morning were the best I've grown yet:yahoo:

She's still 50/50 clear/cloudy.

I'd give her a 6.5, so lot's of room for improvement but at least I know it won't all be a dud.

Thank you ganja gods:ganjamon:

Started to harvest Big Amber and B5 tonight. I'm going to take them over a few days I guess, I started with the worst looking cola's.

There's some amber in the trichs.... Big Amber has nice big trichs while B5's are mostly thin and pointy. What prompted me the most was the test buds. I like the high, it's not couchlock but nice. A good daytime smoke as they say.

They're at 15 1/2 weeks. I'm sick of looking at them to be honest, it's like watching them die in slow motion. The cola's are as fat as they're going to get.

I'm guessing 2.5 z's from Big Amber and 1.5 from B5. I'm willing to let B1 go longer, she still looks vibrant and I know the sativa's go longer. She'll be over 3 z's and could push 4. She'll be worth the wait and I won't take her early.

Time to free up some lights and some room for grow #2.

This will be a totally different dry and cure than the first group. It's in the 60's - low 70's with RH in the low 40's. The grow room feels very dry. I've had water out in pans for over a week to try and get it up a bit. This will be about 2 days of hanging and then into the jars.

I'm low on Big Amber's yield. This little bit I took, maybe 10%, is weighing in at 2z after hanging overnight. B1 is probably about right, her buds aren't as tight and she's loaded with seeds. I'll keep the seeds but I doubt I'll grow them, I've got the fem'd breeder seed bug :)

There's a plant in a box....

IMAG0324.jpg

Big Amber @ 2z so far:

IMAG03251.jpg

B5 @ .5z

IMAG03261.jpg

The buds look great, I'll take better pics next time.

Certainly looks ok. A good cure can add a lot too

Thanks Chopper! I'm going to have at least some really good smoke, Big Amber is loaded with fat trichs that are mostly clear/cloudy with some amber. She's getting there.

The others... I don't know. They don't have lots of fat trichs like Big Amber.

You know a grow is dragging on when you're having trouble keeping track of the weeks, never mind the days. Today marks 16 full weeks of flower.

Took a wet oz from B5 this morning, so her total harvested wet weight is about 1.5z so far, but I've only taken about a fifth of her. I've had about 8 seeds just drop from her while I'm doing the trimming. Given the results of this grow so far I'm not in any hurry to try growing them out. I guess I can live with 16+ weeks of flower for some killer smoke, but if it's not (as I suspect), it's a massive waste of time, space and money.

Took my first cola from B1 the big sativa this morning too. It was bending way over and out of the lights and I'm curious how it will smoke, although the trichs are still mostly clear. Trimmed wet weight about an oz.

This is close to perfect drying/curing weather. Maybe a little dry, temps in the 60's, RH around 45.

IMAG03281.jpg

IMAG03291.jpg

IMAG03372.jpg

IMAG03392.jpg

This might be a bigger harvest than I suspected, it could exceed 10z's.

Quality is the question. I've taken about 5% so far. It's about a 6.5 out of 10. These next 2 weeks are the key I think.

Yup...I think the timing on the finish is pretty important. Getting anything of any quality at all, the first time round is actually a huge success. I think the majority of first grows do not end with anything at all. The vast majority are utter failures. This website has made a HUGE difference in my first efforts. As you go along, you will start hitting the homeruns you are after. Each failure is a learning experience:peacetwo:

Mr.BlueDog..

I personally think you have done AWESOME for your first time,, to say the least.. !! You should be PROUD.. !!

And Im glad things have turned out so well for you.. !!

Much Love and Respect to you and yours Sir.. ..

Yup...I think the timing on the finish is pretty important. Getting anything of any quality at all, the first time round is actually a huge success. I think the majority of first grows do not end with anything at all. The vast majority are utter failures. This website has made a HUGE difference in my first efforts. As you go along, you will start hitting the homeruns you are after. Each failure is a learning experience:peacetwo:

That's great perspective Chopper. When I look back on this journey that started in mid-April, I've learned a ton. And I'm finally real close to at least matching the quality of the stuff these seeds came from, which was pretty good by my standards.

I think it was you I was talking with about the high I'm after. Where you're worried out in public that people can tell you're stoned just by looking at you. That's what my latest tests have been really close to, and it should only get better this next week or two.

My first harvest was way too early, nothing was that good but I did get about 3 ounces of 6/10 stuff. I'm thinking of just throwing the rest away. Why have all that stuff sitting around, it's not going to be any good but legally that wouldn't matter. I may try making hash but I can't believe that would be much good either.

Thanks for hanging with me on this grow, take care!

Mr.BlueDog..

I personally think you have done AWESOME for your first time,, to say the least.. !! You should be PROUD.. !!

And Im glad things have turned out so well for you.. !!

Much Love and Respect to you and yours Sir.. ..

Thanks Mr. RedDawg! Sharing my ups and downs with all of you makes it even better. I hope we all just keep learning and improving. Take care my friend!

Took another 1.5 wet z's from b5 today, and jarred the first cuttings. Very low RH here but luckily cooler temps, still they were pretty dry when I cut them and 2+ days of hanging seemed like plenty.

Took another 1.5 wet z's from b5 today, and jarred the first cuttings. Very low RH here but luckily cooler temps, still they were pretty dry when I cut them and 2+ days of hanging seemed like plenty.

Hey Blue Looking good Bro. You've had a hell of a great first grow! :thumb:

Hello Blue! Listen for a first time grow you are bound to have 'issues'., My first indoor grow in many many years (last fall). Resulted in very low potency smoke and like you I waited a long time! Mine was 12+ weeks (for an indica dominant strain!). I'm glad you have some smoke that get's the job done at least. Mine was a total waste except for the experience I gained form it that is.

I've learned that pH is one of the deciding factors in growing a good crop, along with complete darkness (never knew this), humidity (dryer the better), stay away from MGrow (must flush very good and do not overfeed) and to alternate between feedings and waterings. Just a few of the many learned lessons from this site. I also think much has to do with 'genetics' of the seed. If you order seeds from a company or get them from a 'very' reliable source, chances of a better outcome increase dramatically. Of course you have to apply everything else you've learned to make it all come together.

This was a great learning experience and I'm glad you are planning to try it again..We all learn from our mistakes and at least in my case it worked out just great. For you it will also!

Best of luck and enjoy that smoke you got from Big Amber.:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom