Stardawg17, Dutch Bucket, Cookie Wreck, 2020: Dive Into The Deep End

stardawg17

Hey 420. Welcome to my first grow journal! It's also my first time growing...not just MMJ...pretty much growing anything. My wife had a car accident that left her addicted to opiods. Now, she has nerve damage, chronic pain and some other pretty heavy health issues. Obviously, opioids aren't an option. So, at the beginning of the year we got her MMJ license. She has found weed helps, especially RSO. But buying at the dispensary is expensive, very expensive...and we're a pretty humble family. What to do?

And so here we are. First up, where to grow? We have a very small house and pretty much every corner of space is already taken. So it looks like I'll be operating out of the shed in the back yard. It's taken me 3 months to convert it into something usable, but, I'm finally to the point of assembling the actual hydroponic system. I'm hoping to start germination this weekend.

I've also spent the past 3 months doing a ton of research. I've settled on the Dutch (Bato) Bucket drip irrigation system. I've always wanted to grow hydroponic weed. One of the big selling points was having to manage only 1 bucket of nutrients and ph. To help with that, I plan on adding a monitoring and control system. I want to automate as much as possible. The more data I have the better decisions I can make. Another selling point is the modularity. You can expand a dutch bucket system to whatever size. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get a craft growers license or become a greenhouse consultant. I know...pie in the sky.

Now...on to the detes about this grow...

The seeds:
Strain: Cookie Wreck AutoFlowering
Seed Bank: Pacific Seed Bank
Breeder: Growers Lab
Cannabis Species: Hybrid
Flowering Time: 55-65 days
THC: 19%
CBD Level: Moderate (3-10%)
Size: Medium

The Environment:
Building: 12' x 8' garden shed
HVAC: Window AC / Forced Air Ceramic Heater / 35 pint dehumidifier
Tent: 48" x 48" x 79"
Ventilation: negative pressure
4" 100 CFM induction from cabin with carbon filter
4" 195 CFM exhaust to "attic" with carbon filter
Irrigation: 6 gallon reservoir w/ 12 gallon reserve
Buckets: 3 gallon Dutch Buckets (5)
Medium: TBD
Lights: 11" x 11" 5th generation utlra-thin full spectrum UFO SMD LED panels (3)

Anyway, welcome aboard my journey. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community and thanks in advance for all your help and support!

:welcome: to :420:

I love hydro and I can not wait to see your grow, I have a very similar hydro setup to yours.

I am really sorry to hear about your wife :Namaste:
Thanks Stoner.

The only other relief she's found is kratom. Growing that doesn't appear to be an option. Plus, what's cooler than growing the ganj?

:welldone::bravo::woohoo:
That looks amazing
Thanks stoner... Those are the first couple of weeks... This has been such a long journey and I haven't even started growing yet :thedoubletake:

It all slowly comes together and then after you look for any reason to add something so you can build something. Is the last picture semi current or you done more? once you put in 2 dryer vents and ducting or something for air that tent will grow

It all slowly comes together and then after you look for any reason to add something so you can build something. Is the last picture semi current or you done more? once you put in 2 dryer vents and ducting or something for air that tent will grow
The last picture is a few weeks ago... So much more to come o_O

I can only upload so many pics an hour :D

Nice job on the shed. I wish I could have replaced the floor in mine when I re-did it; but I'd be opening up a real can of worms. I've killed about 20 Bark Scorpions so far & I'm sure there are lots more under the shed & possibly Rattle Snakes too. I bomb & spray before every grow.
So I just put a new floor on top the old one & sealed up the shed the best I could.

I'm not sure what a Dutch Bucket system is so I'll be watching to see what it's all about. So far I've tried 3 grow methods; but still like soil the best. I suppose that's because it's the easiest to deal with & I don't have to monitor the plants constantly. I like being able to check on them once every 2 days instead of twice every day like I had to do in Hydro. Sure, I get a little less yield, but the simplicity of it makes up for it to me. Besides, 5 soil plants & I can get the same yield as 4 hydro plants without all the work.

Speaking of work, I better get ready as I have to be out of here in an hour.
Talk to you later.

Hey 420. Welcome to my first grow journal! It's also my first time growing...not just MMJ...pretty much growing anything. My wife had a car accident that left her addicted to opiods. Now, she has nerve damage, chronic pain and some other pretty heavy health issues. Obviously, opioids aren't an option. So, at the beginning of the year we got her MMJ license. She has found weed helps, especially RSO. But buying at the dispensary is expensive, very expensive...and we're a pretty humble family. What to do?

And so here we are. First up, where to grow? We have a very small house and pretty much every corner of space is already taken. So it looks like I'll be operating out of the shed in the back yard. It's taken me 3 months to convert it into something usable, but, I'm finally to the point of assembling the actual hydroponic system. I'm hoping to start germination this weekend.

I've also spent the past 3 months doing a ton of research. I've settled on the Dutch (Bato) Bucket drip irrigation system. I've always wanted to grow hydroponic weed. One of the big selling points was having to manage only 1 bucket of nutrients and ph. To help with that, I plan on adding a monitoring and control system. I want to automate as much as possible. The more data I have the better decisions I can make. Another selling point is the modularity. You can expand a dutch bucket system to whatever size. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get a craft growers license or become a greenhouse consultant. I know...pie in the sky.

Now...on to the detes about this grow...

The seeds:
Strain: Cookie Wreck AutoFlowering
Seed Bank: Pacific Seed Bank
Breeder: Growers Lab
Cannabis Species: Hybrid
Flowering Time: 55-65 days
THC: 19%
CBD Level: Moderate (3-10%)
Size: Medium

The Environment:
Building: 12' x 8' garden shed
HVAC: Window AC / Forced Air Ceramic Heater / 35 pint dehumidifier
Tent: 48" x 48" x 79"
Ventilation: negative pressure
4" 100 CFM induction from cabin with carbon filter
4" 195 CFM exhaust to "attic" with carbon filter
Irrigation: 6 gallon reservoir w/ 12 gallon reserve
Buckets: 3 gallon Dutch Buckets (5)
Medium: TBD
Lights: 11" x 11" 5th generation utlra-thin full spectrum UFO SMD LED panels (3)

Anyway, welcome aboard my journey. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community and thanks in advance for all your help and support!

@stardawg17 have you tried to get insurance to cover the medicine? I have had advocated people that are deemed incapable of taking any other medicine and have had insurance pay out on their meds. Look into it because I know a few patients in my area that we have helped push for assistance with this same topic. Not sure your dispo but this might require a ton of follow ups, not 100%

either way im here for the grow! Good luck brotha

@stardawg17 have you tried to get insurance to cover the medicine? I have had advocated people that are deemed incapable of taking any other medicine and have had insurance pay out on their meds. Look into it because I know a few patients in my area that we have helped push for assistance with this same topic. Not sure your dispo but this might require a ton of follow ups, not 100%

either way im here for the grow! Good luck brotha
Thanks for the idea. We do need to look into it. I'm skeptical though as they won't even pay for the only allergy medicine that actually works for me :confused:

Hey @stardawg17 saw your posts and ended up here.
Glad to see you came out of your shell and finally started your first journal.
i'll bring along @Pennywise and @The Phantom. Hydro gods as i call them :rofl::rofl::rofl:

As a contractor i am glad to see how you took care of your shed. Well done and i am glad you changed the entire floor intead of applying more wood ontop of the rotted floors. One thing i would add is to actully buy a white thick plastic and staple it to the studs, floor, and ceiling. This will help to reduce the moister penetrading into the wood.

I also noticed you had chicken wire below the shed for the open space. I hope that chicken wire goes in the dirt for about hlaf foot. Suckers dig to find a way to go under the shed

I'll be taging along and see how things play for you. My last dutch bucket system did not go well for me. So i am interested to see your setup and what you've done.

Hey @stardawg17 saw your posts and ended up here.
Glad to see you came out of your shell and finally started your first journal.
i'll bring along @Pennywise and @The Phantom. Hydro gods as i call them :rofl::rofl::rofl:

As a contractor i am glad to see how you took care of your shed. Well done and i am glad you changed the entire floor intead of applying more wood ontop of the rotted floors. One thing i would add is to actully buy a white thick plastic and staple it to the studs, floor, and ceiling. This will help to reduce the moister penetrading into the wood.

I also noticed you had chicken wire below the shed for the open space. I hope that chicken wire goes in the dirt for about hlaf foot. Suckers dig to find a way to go under the shed

I'll be taging along and see how things play for you. My last dutch bucket system did not go well for me. So i am interested to see your setup and what you've done.
PK...welcome to you and the Hydro gods!

One thing is for sure...a carpenter I aint :laughtwo: You'll see what I mean as we go along ;)

Nice job on the shed. I wish I could have replaced the floor in mine when I re-did it; but I'd be opening up a real can of worms. I've killed about 20 Bark Scorpions so far & I'm sure there are lots more under the shed & possibly Rattle Snakes too. I bomb & spray before every grow.
So I just put a new floor on top the old one & sealed up the shed the best I could.

I'm not sure what a Dutch Bucket system is so I'll be watching to see what it's all about. So far I've tried 3 grow methods; but still like soil the best. I suppose that's because it's the easiest to deal with & I don't have to monitor the plants constantly. I like being able to check on them once every 2 days instead of twice every day like I had to do in Hydro. Sure, I get a little less yield, but the simplicity of it makes up for it to me. Besides, 5 soil plants & I can get the same yield as 4 hydro plants without all the work.

Speaking of work, I better get ready as I have to be out of here in an hour.
Talk to you later.
Hey BB...thanks for checking out my journal!

You know...sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully I get this system up and running soon. I've already invested too much time, money and effort so I'm determined to not fail!!!

Back
Top Bottom