The Quest For A Kilo

Ahh ok. Pretty much so it can absorb the water faster?

That would be my understanding as the outer shell is supposed to be thicker. I can't say as I don't grow Autos. I know its a common practice with a lot of growers though.

The term is "scarification". Never tried it though, just read a few people experimenting with it on 420.

We are now on 12/12 day 51 and all is well. After a look at the calendar I can leave her to flower for another 10 - 12 days before I will need to harvest her.

In the interest of keeping mould at bay, she's going to get a rather harsh defoliation this afternoon.

Some pics of her before she looses a lot of leaf

420-magazine-mobile1608466694.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1715761890.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1436738153.jpg
420-magazine-mobile710105746.jpg

It is a pain of a job, not really much you can do to make it easier. It's just one of those things - the bigger the plant, the more time consuming maintenance is.

Wear gloves, much easier to handle the buds when moving them around to get the lower leaves. Give yourself plenty of time to do it so you don't rush. Best not to use scissors to cut the leaf off as anything left behind can regress into the bud and cause mould, better to pluck the leaf off completely from the stem of the plant.

In my case, access to the rear right of the plant is really difficult, so having easy access to the whole plant would make it a lot easier.

Depending on the reason for defoliation there is a slightly different method. If it's just to allow light to any lower buds, then simply removing some shading fan leaves will do the trick. If it's to improve airflow between the buds, then it's essential to remove any excess leaf from in between buds, especially lower down in the plant where it's generally darker and quite damp.

Two hours later and the defoliation is done. She doesn't look any different for it though, but she sure is a heck of a lot lighter.

420-magazine-mobile256713291.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1867581196.jpg

She looks awesome.....and about 10 lbs lighter!!

I love the defol technique i been playing with it on my first grow. I actually started in veg and it seems i defol and five days later cant even tell. How do you know the limit of not taking to much?? After watching Asesino defol techniques i was hooked!! And then the research had me getting reeled in!! As i read journals it seems like most experienced growers do it but i also know there are people that just hate everything bout it. I can say i have yet to see any plant suffer anything more then just slowing a bit. But the payoff always out ways the stunt. Do you defol jus for mold or for high yield?? Sorry to ramble but your big ole healthy girl is just stunning and a work of art. Forgot who said it but they said it best where it looked like a city of sky scrapers!! Keep up the great work mono!! You think you gonna hit your goal of a kilo? I do fingers crossed!!

Big plants are so much work but the reward is always nice too! Looking great Mono!
I am still on my way to big plants. My next grow should be in a 30L pot under a small modular scrog. I love the one plant idea much more. Like you put your heart and soul into it, sounds corny but eh

Big plants are so much work but the reward is always nice too! Looking great Mono!

Cheers bud!

To be honest - yes, it's more work when it comes to things like defoliation and harvesting than it is with a couple of smaller plants, but over the length of the grow, it's probably much less work to grow a single big plant than say four in the same space. Watering etc is just as simple as pouring the nutrient solution over one rootzone until run off rather than repeating it for each plant and tailoring the feeds for each plants needs.

I love the defol technique i been playing with it on my first grow. I actually started in veg and it seems i defol and five days later cant even tell. How do you know the limit of not taking to much?? After watching Asesino defol techniques i was hooked!! And then the research had me getting reeled in!! As i read journals it seems like most experienced growers do it but i also know there are people that just hate everything bout it. I can say i have yet to see any plant suffer anything more then just slowing a bit. But the payoff always out ways the stunt. Do you defol jus for mold or for high yield?? Sorry to ramble but your big ole healthy girl is just stunning and a work of art. Forgot who said it but they said it best where it looked like a city of sky scrapers!! Keep up the great work mono!! You think you gonna hit your goal of a kilo? I do fingers crossed!!

Thanks fella!

I agree, defoliation is a great tool when it comes to growing cannabis. If you start them young, they seem to respond even better than if you only hit them in flowering. It's a great way to create an even canopy along side low stress or high stress training techniques.

I wouldn't say there is a point where you take too much off, at the end of the day so long as a single leaf is left on the plant, they will begin growing again. Obviously this massively increases the veg time, and wouldn't be a good idea just before or during flowering. It's really like every other aspect of growing, the more you do it, the better you can relate to the plant and know what to remove and when :)

I've always been in the defoliation camp, although, in the last few grows I've slowed down a little on how much I remove which seems to have kept the plant romping along at a good pace... Personally, during veg, I defol regularly to improve the plants structure along side low stress training and some super cropping, which is all setting her up to yield well. Once it comes to flower, I wont remove anything on the upper two thirds of the plant for the first three weeks (don't want to slow her down during stretch) but I will start removing useless growth in the lower third of the plant. Once we are passed the half way mark of flowering, I slowly start removing anything that's over crowding or shading bud sites (most days I will pluck a leaf or two here and there). Late flowering, it's time to strip roughly 40% of the foliage to allow better air movement between the buds, to reduce the risk of mould in the final weeks.

As for the final yield, We may see the 1000g, but given I was forced to reduce the veg time by around two weeks, I won't be too disappointed if she doesn't hit the target :)

I am still on my way to big plants. My next grow should be in a 30L pot under a small modular scrog. I love the one plant idea much more. Like you put your heart and soul into it, sounds corny but eh

Hey Pat!

That's exactly it fella, only having the one plant allows you to focus all your attention on her and give her the best quality of life throughout the grow. When I ran multiple plants, I'd always have a favourite that got a little more attention. Now there is just one plant to focus on :)

What medium are you using for your 30litre pot? If your going coco, that will grow one heck of a plant.

Back
Top Bottom