I haven't really given it much thought. I've had such good luck with this process I really expected four sprouts by now. I'll leave them alone through the weekend. If there are still no more sprouts by Monday (9 days) I may have to call it and scrap the grow ;( I have other seeds but I'm really looking forward to the Colombian Gold. I'm still hoping for an Easter miracle!
Really odd for Herbies to have a 25% germ rate. Id be all begging for replacements at this point lol.

I haven't really given it much thought. I've had such good luck with this process I really expected four sprouts by now. I'll leave them alone through the weekend. If there are still no more sprouts by Monday (9 days) I may have to call it and scrap the grow ;( I have other seeds but I'm really looking forward to the Colombian Gold. I'm still hoping for an Easter miracle!
Fingers crossed 🤞 cmon + pop. Even though placing the seeds directly into the soil is supposed to be healthier than the paper towel method at least with the paper towel you know that it popped. CL🍀

Really odd for Herbies to have a 25% germ rate. Id be all begging for replacements at this point lol.
1 in 5 is 20%, but I'm not ready to call it yet. I've had seeds take > 7 days to pop. Let's see what the weekend brings...

Fingers crossed 🤞 cmon + pop. Even though placing the seeds directly into the soil is supposed to be healthier than the paper towel method at least with the paper towel you know that it popped. CL🍀
Thanks CL, and you have a point. Of course, I'll know eventually because either it will pop or I'll cut the plug open and take a look ;)

1 in 5 is 20%, but I'm not ready to call it yet. I've had seeds take > 7 days to pop. Let's see what the weekend brings...
oh you did an extra, sorry about that. I thought you dropped 4 :)

It's still early. Maybe they do it a little slower in Columbia and make it last longer. :hmmmm::cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks man, this is what I needed to hear. I don't have four late seedlings, I have one early seedling and four on Colombian time :)

Great write-up about your system. I love gadgetry but I don't need it and I can live vicariously through your using it. :battingeyelashes:

Sending positive thoughts that your CGs get their acts together and pop. I know how frustrating this stage can be.

The Vivosun Bud Factory
Featuring the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System and the VSF6450
Sponsored by VIVOSUN and Herbies USA Express

Welcome to the Vivosun Bud Factory, a Vivosun 5x5 (60x60x80) advanced grey tent equipped with a custom Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS) with a Vivosun VSF6450 and a 45g 4-site RDWC system.

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: ** Seedling Mode ** (Vegetative scheduled 4/16)
  • Light - Vivosun VSF6450
    • 00:00-04:00 OFF
    • 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:40%, Simulate Sunrise/Sunset (12 DLI / 9200 LUX / 175 PPFD)
  • Circulation - Vivosun AeroWave E6
    • 00:00-24:00 Speed 2
  • Exhaust - Vivosun 6" AeroZesh
    • 00:00-04:00 75% RH, Speed 1, Default off
    • 04:00-24:00 High 82F / 80% RH, Speed 3, Default off
Other Equipment:
- Vivosun heat mat set @ 76f
- Vivosun Humidifier set to 75% warm mist + ionize
- Vivosun 13" Air Circulator oscillating horizontally on speed# 1

Strain: World of Seeds Colombian Gold fem photo x 5 (from Herbies USA Express)
Planted: Saturday, Apr 1
Medium: EZ-Gro plugs in started dome
Water: Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Other: Vivosun heat mat @ 76f

Well, there was no Easter miracle. It's been 9 days and only one of the five Colombian Gold seeds are up (20%). I've named her Goldie and she's a little cutie. Unfortunately, I can't start this grow with one seedling.

This morning I pulled the plugs apart to take a look. One seed had failed to germinate at all, but the other three had little tap roots. I put them back in and will give them a couple more days, but I'm not very hopeful. I don't see any way three more seeds will pop after 9 days.

There are three things that seeds need to germinate. The plugs take care of two of them: water and air. The plugs were still moist and had never dried out, nor were they ever saturated. The seeds should have had plenty of moisture and air. The last thing they need is correct temperature. I usually start my seeds on a heat mat set to 76f under the AeroGarden in my kitchen. This time I started them in the Bud Factory. The VSF6450 came on at 40% on Wednesday, the day the first seed popped. Did the light head up the pods too much and fry the other seeds? I know I saw them up to 80f, is that too hot? Next time I'll go back under the AeroGarden light just in case.

Either way, it's time to pivot!

I put Goldie in a 4" pot with FFHF soil. She had nice lateral roots, so I coated them in myco when I uppotted. She's under the AeroLight in seedling mode @ 25% 15" away. She should be able to stay in this tent for the next 3-4 weeks next to another auto I'll be starting. Then I'll figure out what to do with her. I'll either flower her in another tent or just keep her around in the veg tent. No matter what, when it's time, I'll take four clones of her to put in the RDWC system. What started out as a 16+ week journal just turned into 30+ weeks ;) Feel free to tune out for a few months. When the Bud Factory is ready again, I plan to have four Colombian Gold clones ready to go!

NOTE: I usually get a single long tap root coming out of the bottom of the plug. It grows down into the tray below and I'm always afraid I'll pull it off when I uppot. Also, there is usually not much lateral rooting. I realized on this grow that if I remove the tray from underneath, anything that tries to come out of the bottom will air prune. And it worked. This plug had great lateral rooting and no big tap root. I'll use this trick in the future to keep the plugs in the trays longer.

In the meantime, I have quite a few seeds I've won in contests here. I'll go through what I have, but I'm considering doing four different strains in the RDWC together. I've always been worried about different feeding needs, but I'm counting on @Prescription Blend to take care of them all. I'll be putting four seeds in pucks today and I'll be starting another journal for that grow in the next week or so.

This journal will remain open, and I'll post here every once in a while. Stay tuned, it's going to be a long ride...

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

I hate to hear about the delay. I will still look forward to you growing the clones in hydro in the future.

Can you still access all four sides of the larger enclosure as you did the other tent? If so, growing four different strains would be easier. They will certainly require different harvest times and some will have to be harvested while the nute load is still higher or the late bloomers will miss out.

The Vivosun Bud Factory
Featuring the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System and the VSF6450
Sponsored by VIVOSUN and Herbies USA Express

Welcome to the Vivosun Bud Factory, a Vivosun 5x5 (60x60x80) advanced grey tent equipped with a custom Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS) with a Vivosun VSF6450 and a 45g 4-site RDWC system.

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: ** Seedling Mode ** (Vegetative scheduled 4/16)
  • Light - Vivosun VSF6450
    • 00:00-04:00 OFF
    • 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:40%, Simulate Sunrise/Sunset (12 DLI / 9200 LUX / 175 PPFD)
  • Circulation - Vivosun AeroWave E6
    • 00:00-24:00 Speed 2
  • Exhaust - Vivosun 6" AeroZesh
    • 00:00-04:00 75% RH, Speed 1, Default off
    • 04:00-24:00 High 82F / 80% RH, Speed 3, Default off
Other Equipment:
- Vivosun heat mat set @ 76f
- Vivosun Humidifier set to 75% warm mist + ionize
- Vivosun 13" Air Circulator oscillating horizontally on speed# 1

Strain: World of Seeds Colombian Gold fem photo x 5 (from Herbies USA Express)
Planted: Saturday, Apr 1
Medium: EZ-Gro plugs in started dome
Water: Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Other: Vivosun heat mat @ 76f

Well, there was no Easter miracle. It's been 9 days and only one of the five Colombian Gold seeds are up (20%). I've named her Goldie and she's a little cutie. Unfortunately, I can't start this grow with one seedling.

This morning I pulled the plugs apart to take a look. One seed had failed to germinate at all, but the other three had little tap roots. I put them back in and will give them a couple more days, but I'm not very hopeful. I don't see any way three more seeds will pop after 9 days.

There are three things that seeds need to germinate. The plugs take care of two of them: water and air. The plugs were still moist and had never dried out, nor were they ever saturated. The seeds should have had plenty of moisture and air. The last thing they need is correct temperature. I usually start my seeds on a heat mat set to 76f under the AeroGarden in my kitchen. This time I started them in the Bud Factory. The VSF6450 came on at 40% on Wednesday, the day the first seed popped. Did the light head up the pods too much and fry the other seeds? I know I saw them up to 80f, is that too hot? Next time I'll go back under the AeroGarden light just in case.

Either way, it's time to pivot!

I put Goldie in a 4" pot with FFHF soil. She had nice lateral roots, so I coated them in myco when I uppotted. She's under the AeroLight in seedling mode @ 25% 15" away. She should be able to stay in this tent for the next 3-4 weeks next to another auto I'll be starting. Then I'll figure out what to do with her. I'll either flower her in another tent or just keep her around in the veg tent. No matter what, when it's time, I'll take four clones of her to put in the RDWC system. What started out as a 16+ week journal just turned into 30+ weeks ;) Feel free to tune out for a few months. When the Bud Factory is ready again, I plan to have four Colombian Gold clones ready to go!

NOTE: I usually get a single long tap root coming out of the bottom of the plug. It grows down into the tray below and I'm always afraid I'll pull it off when I uppot. Also, there is usually not much lateral rooting. I realized on this grow that if I remove the tray from underneath, anything that tries to come out of the bottom will air prune. And it worked. This plug had great lateral rooting and no big tap root. I'll use this trick in the future to keep the plugs in the trays longer.

In the meantime, I have quite a few seeds I've won in contests here. I'll go through what I have, but I'm considering doing four different strains in the RDWC together. I've always been worried about different feeding needs, but I'm counting on @Prescription Blend to take care of them all. I'll be putting four seeds in pucks today and I'll be starting another journal for that grow in the next week or so.

This journal will remain open, and I'll post here every once in a while. Stay tuned, it's going to be a long ride...

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow
Bummer about the others not producing but I’m still going along for the ride. Whatever direction you go in with your grow I’ll be sitting quietly in the back.Good luck n happy growing. CL🍀

I’ve prolly said this, over and over… lol

Your grow area makes my heart sing!

💚💛🤍
Thanks Trala. I'm lucky to have the room in the basement. You can't even see my favorite tent right now, my salad tent. It has a bunch of tomato seedlings, and a few other veggies in addition to the wall-mounted hydroponic lettuce grower. I love to go down there and open the tents to have a cup and a joint.

20230401_104444.jpg

I hate to hear about the delay. I will still look forward to you growing the clones in hydro in the future.

Can you still access all four sides of the larger enclosure as you did the other tent?
Thanks GW. I can access three sides, the fourth is against the wall. And with the extra room around the RDWC, I MIGHT be able to get in there under the net??
If so, growing four different strains would be easier. They will certainly require different harvest times and some will have to be harvested while the nute load is still higher or the late bloomers will miss out.
I've found four strains that flower 55-65 days, so I'll plan the nutrients to that schedule. Then they'll finish when they're ready, as usual ;)

Back
Top Bottom