Thirvnrob's Canuck Seeds Double Chocolate/Acapulco Gold Comparative Grow

Honestly, I'd feel confident flipping them tonight, but a few days of waiting will be a good exercise in patience. The only reason I want to wait is to make sure they're ready, but I'm really tempted to flip them now. The targeted flip date is six days from today. What do y'all think?

I think your plan on waiting a few days is a sound one as it's much easier to further correct the issue in veg than it is in flower. So, as long as you have the time and space that bigger plants will produce, I'd say it's better to know you've fixed the issue than hoping. :thumb:

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to wait on the flip. 4 days won’t kill me. I decided to top water once weekly with Csl/Mag & hopefully that’ll help keep them happy. The first round seemed to help. The AG will take a gallon every day & every 3rd day I skip watering/feeding.
The DC aren’t taking as much but they’re beginning to catch up.
Can anyone confirm my diagnosis of heat stress on the DC? And if so, would the solution be to raise the light or dial it down a little?
IMG_4285.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to wait on the flip. 4 days won’t kill me. I decided to top water once weekly with Csl/Mag & hopefully that’ll help keep them happy. The first round seemed to help. The AG will take a gallon every day & every 3rd day I skip watering/feeding.
The DC aren’t taking as much but they’re beginning to catch up.
Can anyone confirm my diagnosis of heat stress on the DC? And if so, would the solution be to raise the light or dial it down a little?
IMG_4285.jpeg
There could be all types of factors that play a role on how plants turn out. If you feel that heat stress is causing the issue, I would first identify the issue by finding where the heat is coming from. If it's in fact the lights which a lot of the time's that is where the heat source is coming from you can reduce the heat by lifting the lights so that the heat is not directly over top of your plants. This does not eliminate the heat source but reduces the heat directly on your plant. You could introduce fans to the environment and even a Carbon filter helps with lowering temps as well. If it's the environment, which was the case for myself you could introduce an AC unit which for me solved my issues.

@InTheShed It has gotten pretty hot in the room a few times & was 91°f for a couple hours a few days ago. When I went out there earlier the ambient was 86°.I hung a hygrometer & here’s where it sits now.
IMG_4294.jpeg

It has gotten pretty hot in the room a few times & was 91°f for a couple hours a few days ago. When I went out there earlier the ambient was 86°.I hung a hygrometer & here’s where it sits now.
91Âş for a few hours is hot, but it shouldn't still be showing heat stress at 79Âş, so I'm thinking it's not liking the light intensity from the tacoing on those leaves.

I like to pull the battery out once a day on those things so I get a 24 hour high/low rather than something that happened a few days ago. How old is that high of 88Âş?

91Âş for a few hours is hot, but it shouldn't still be showing heat stress at 79Âş, so I'm thinking it's not liking the light intensity from the tacoing on those leaves.

I like to pull the battery out once a day on those things so I get a 24 hour high/low rather than something that happened a few days ago. How old is that high of 88Âş?
Yesterday I think. I put a thermostat driven heater instead of the oil filled radiant heater & hopefully that will help me get it stabilized. The 79 deg reading was maybe 15 minutes after I brought the ambient temp down, so I wouldn't have expected them to return to normal by then. Good suggestion about removing the batteries.

I found an article about leaves canoeing & it said the most likely cause is overwatering. I'm thinking the sip might not be agreeing with them. They don't consume nearly as much as the Acapulco Gold. I'm gonna let the res dry out for a day or two. I gave them each a gallon two days ago & there's still an inch or so in their res - the AG drain their pots daily...

I found an article about leaves canoeing & it said the most likely cause is overwatering. I'm thinking the sip might be agreeing with them. They don't consume nearly as much as the Acapulco Gold. I'm gonna let the res dry out for a day or two. I gave them each a gallon two days ago & there's still an inch or so in their res - the AG drain their pots daily...
Interesting! I've seen wrinkling from overwater but not canoeing. Still, no harm in letting the res dry out for a bit but you don't want the soil in the foot to get so dry it becomes hydrophobic.
What do you mean by heat sink?
Anything that will absorb the heat that the heater puts out. A metal file cabinet, a wall (far enough away not to be a fire danger), a metal table, etc. If you can warm the air and an object as well, the room will cool more slowly as the heat sink will cool slower than the air.

Interesting! I've seen wrinkling from overwater but not canoeing. Still, no harm in letting the res dry out for a bit but you don't want the soil in the foot to get so dry it becomes hydrophobic.
Thanks Shed, That's a good tip! I'm exactly the guy who would make that mistake :bongrip:
Before I settled on this course of action, I raised the light gradually for a total of 4" & made sure I got the temp & RH straightened out, but it didn't solve that particular problem. My fingers are crossed here...
Anything that will absorb the heat that the heater puts out. A metal file cabinet, a wall (far enough away not to be a fire danger), a metal table, etc. If you can warm the air and an object as well, the room will cool more slowly as the heat sink will cool slower than the air.
I was wondering if that's what you meant but it didn't click right away. I do have a file cabinet & I will certainly employ that technique tonight!

I found an article about leaves canoeing & it said the most likely cause is overwatering. I'm thinking the sip might not be agreeing with them.
I'd like to read that article. Excess heat or light, yes. Overwatering? Doubt it. Overwatered plants look the opposite. Plump, drooping leaves pointing down at their roots (where the problem lies) rather than folding up on themselves.

Still, I'll keep an open mind.

Back
Top Bottom