Thirvnrob's Canuck Seeds Double Chocolate/Acapulco Gold Comparative Grow

That link doesn't work but I found the guide, which says:

The marijuana leaf problems associated with overwatering or dehydration include:
  • Drooping
  • Curling or bending
  • Discoloring from green to yellow
I didn't see canoeing or tacoing listed.
Well, I read it on the internet so it has to be correct! :thumb:
Honestly, I'm grasping for straws. I always get through veg with happy campers, but my grows almost always go south just before or just after flip. I've had leaves behave like this before, but never to this extent. There has to be a common factor as to why, at this point problems always manifest.
My weed is always pretty good, but I think I'm at the threshold of getting all of it right, start to finish & go from pretty good to damned good...

Here's part of the post, copied & pasted:

Cannabis leaves curling up: 5 main causes​

Either over-watering or under-watering your crop is the most likely reason for curling weed leaves. Don’t immediately jump to conclusions though, because some old weed leaves curl naturally. If the entire plant is affected, you need to take immediate action.

Overwatering​

The most common reason for canoeing cannabis leaves is overwatering. Watering your cannabis crop is vital for survival, but overdoing it can drown the roots and snuff out your homegrown dreams.

Cannabis leaves in the shape of canoe soon become droopy. It is inevitable! It will only get worse if growers don’t address the root of the cause.

Roots need oxygen, and if they’re waterlogged, they could suffocate. The water delivers nutrients to healthy plants through the roots. This process is impossible in very wet soil, so plants start to wilt with weed leaves curling up.

Continued overwatering can lead to Pythium, aka root rot, a parasitic condition that may turn your roots into a messy, ineffective sludge. Once it takes hold, it’s almost impossible to shift.

If the substrate remains sodden, cannabis leaves drooping will be the least of your problems. Various microscopic pathogens like algae and fungi can kill your plants. Ensure drainage isn’t to blame for your canoeing leaves.

Well, I'll just say that as a very experienced and accomplished overwaterer, I've never had canoeing due to too much wetness. The only time I get it is in the heat of summer when temps spike since I have no easy way to deal with it. But never from watering.

Your plants do not look overwatered at all. I'd start with light levels and see if you can resolve it with that.

Well, I'll just say that as a very experienced and accomplished overwaterer, I've never had canoeing due to too much wetness. The only time I get it is in the heat of summer when temps spike since I have no easy way to deal with it. But never from watering.

Your plants do not look overwatered at all. I'd start with light levels and see if you can resolve it with that.
Here's a little more inflammation:
At the canopy the temp is 79f & the RH is 51% according to the hygrometer I now have hanging.
According to my Infrared Thermometer the leaf temp is 77.2f
Using the photone app, DLI is 38, ppfd is 425 & Lux is 30,000,
Leaves are still canoed. Will they relax?
Any chance it could be a nute. deficiency?
I had the light 12" above the canopy.. I raised it 2" yesterday & 2" today. It's running at about 45%.
I want answers dammit & I want 'em now! :D

I’ve had heat stress and light stress. Light stress starts to bleach the upper leaf tips first. Heat stress caused the leaves to canoe. Garden looks good moving to flip. Do they all have the same flower time? Cheers
The breeder says 10-11 weeks for the AG & 9-10 weeks for the DC. I hope that's the case, cause I don't want to trim it all at once. I wish I had a crew for that...

Temps seem fine though a bit more RH in veg is helpful. 38 DLI shouldn't be a problem on its own but if the lights are close in to get that you could try raising them and see if that makes a difference.

The leaves should uncurl when they're happier.
I was probably editing my post to say I had raised the lights when you were writing this. :)

The leaves did relax a good bit so I decided to put them to bed early tonight as planned. What we call winter here is upon us, meaning it's going to be below freezing for a few days & then intermittently for another few weeks. It's the easiest time of year to control the environment in the room & bugs are scarce. I'm running the lights from 8am to 8pm & probably looking at 12 weeks to finish up this grow, so in early to mid April at the latest. Hoping to stagger the harvest so I get a break between the trim jail sentences we impose upon ourselves.
I'll commemorate the switch with pictures tomorrow.

I'm glad the leaves are looking better and congrats on the flip!
Thanks Shed! One of my favorite parts of the grow! I hope they'll stretch at a similar rate but I'm thinking the Double Chocolate might end up on booster seats...

Day 3 after flip & apparently these girls were as anxious to be flipped as I was to flip them. Notice the curling leaves in the second pic on the plant on the left...
IMG_4316.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg

All of the previously curled leaves had relaxed but then some of them curled up again. I've raised the light & lowered the ambient temp in the room & she seems to be the only one afflicted...
IMG_4318.jpg
Lastly, you probably notice the color variation on her neighbor. I noticed significantly more spotting on her leaves
yesterday. She and her sister in the 5 gallon sip got cal/mag top watered in today as well as their roomies. I'll do this once weekly & fill their reservoirs on other days throughout the grow. Here's a shot of the group...
IMG_4315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom