Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Re: Vapedogg223’s Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

super yummy looking meds my bruddah! smacked it outta the park! high brix is defo the future of growing anything, i added some new items to my arsenal of resources hope you can find time to swing by and give me your 2 cents, one day it will be ok for us to share our crops with each other but till then we have our words,pics and vids
thank you for this great journal and info resource:thanks::goodjob::bravo::circle-of-love::thumb::Namaste:

Re: Vapedogg223’s Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Nice pull bro :bravo:

:thanks: brother!

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

reps my friend, thats truely amazing,

:thanks: bro!

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

super yummy looking meds my bruddah! smacked it outta the park! high brix is defo the future of growing anything, i added some new items to my arsenal of resources hope you can find time to swing by and give me your 2 cents, one day it will be ok for us to share our crops with each other but till then we have our words,pics and vids
thank you for this great journal and info resource:thanks::goodjob::bravo::circle-of-love::thumb::Namaste:

:thanks:

I'm probably even more excited about it for growing food! Most people aren't aware of how bad our food supply really is...almost devoid of nutrients, and polluted with GMOs (genetically modified organisms, for the uninitiated!).

Speaking of which...for my brothers and sisters in California, I hope you'll be supporting the ballot initiative to require labeling of GMOs... I believe it's called the California Right To Know Genetically Engineered Food Act... Vermont and Connecticut were both considering a GMO labeling law, but buckled when Monsanto threatened those states with a lawsuit. Almost 1 million signatures were collected in CA, and now it's going to be on the November ballot. The good people of CA have a chance to make a real difference in this fight! :thumb:

Okay...so I had said I wanted to take a few minutes to go over some mistakes I made along the way. Here goes!

1. Pot size and type - I knew any kind of organic grow was going to be a challenge in 3 liter (.8 gallon) pots...furthermore, the very reason I like Air-Pots, is one of the things that make it more difficult...all the air holes in the sides and bottom. This design is key in how the Air-Pots work, but the downside is that the beneficial microbes in the soil need moisture to stay alive. The combination of a small volume of soil to start with, along with the Air-Pot design, means the pots can dry out very quickly if not watched closely. I was able to stay on top of it for the most part, but there were a couple times the pots were left to dry out more than I wanted them to.

The size was an issue simply because the plants/microbes can very quickly consume all the nutrients in that small volume of soil, and they must be replenished more often with minerals and fertilizers.

For grows using chemical nutrients, the size is much less critical, and as long as the grower can keep up on the waterings they’ll be fine. For a setup like mine with Air-Pots, I think a drip irrigation system would be ideal for someone using chemical nutes! :thumb:

Take-aways - Next time use bigger pots! I’m also going to move away from Air-Pots for an organic/high Brix SOG type grow. I can fit a larger volume of soil in the same footprint by using square pots.

2. Early in the grow...week 2 of bloom to be exact, I let the pots use up their energy - I had only added one cup of hen manure per 1 cubic foot of soil when I prepared the mix. This was half of the amount recommended by the manufacturer. A few days earlier I had sensed something was up, and fed with a light dose of fish fertilizer. It turned out that wasn’t enough and overnight they started to yellow. Doc had just warned me to watch the soil energy, and I thought I was on top of it...but things happened very quickly. I immediately top dressed with more minerals, some hen manure, and worm castings and watered everything in with some freshly brewed tea. the next day they were greening up again and by the second day they looked like they hadn’t skipped a beat...except for some of the leaves that I’ll discuss below. From this point on, it seemed like I was constantly trying to keep things green! As Doc explained it, too many beneficials can also be a culprit for using up the soil’s energy.

Take-aways - I should have started with the recommended dose of 2 cups hen manure per 1 CF of soil...to be honest, this strain is a very heavy feeder, so I probably could have added a bit more than that. Also, regularly top-dress with minerals and manure BEFORE the plants show signs of a deficiency. That part is tricky, and I think just a matter of experience to time it right. I also need to consider diluting the microbe tea more than the recommended 1:9 ratio. This might not be necessary with all teas, but the Natures Own I’ve been using is teeming with microbes, and could probably stand to be diluted down more for container gardens.

3. Bleached leaves - I was very careful about lowering the light slowly early on, but the plants took off and were doing great. They seemed to be loving the light, and I had let them get maybe 10-12 inches from the hood. This would have been fine, but it was right then my soil ran out of energy, and the plants started to yellow. The lack of chlorophyll in the leaves combined with the bright light caused some bleaching. When the plants greened up again these bleached areas never recovered. I’ll be more cautious with the light next time.

4. Fungus gnats - When I cured my soil energy issue by top-dressing with manure and worm castings I also created a layer in the pots that was like a fungus gnat love shack! :oops: I very quickly had thousands of the little bastards! Fungus gnats eat fungi and decaying matter in the soil, and as long as they have food available, they leave the plants alone. But we still don’t want these pests in our grow rooms! If they run out of their normal food source they will start eating the plant’s roots...not good! They can also spread soil borne disease, but in a clean grow room with a fresh soil mix I don’t think that’s a huge concern. There’s also the issue of fungus gnats stuck in your trichomes...also not good! These things multiply quickly, each adult only lives 7-10 days, but females can lay 100-300 eggs in that time!

Take-aways - Be proactive with fungus gnats! Use mosquito dunks or Gnatrol to kill larva before they are adults, and sticky traps on the pots to catch the adults before a serious outbreak occurs. A couple waterings a week apart with mosquito dunks absolutely decimated my fungus gnat population!

Just to give you an idea...this is how bad it got before I used the dunks.
Fungus_Gnats.jpg

These traps were were all out at the same time, and filled up in about a week. After the treatment, two weeks later, there were only a few left in the room...I didn't even put out any more traps! :yahoo:

5. Environment - This was a constant battle for me. My grow room was supposed to be temporary, and was not set up for hot weather. We had a very hot early Spring, combined with some crazy swings in the temperature and humidity. I ran the light at night, and was able to maintain ideal temps early on, but later on in the grow, if temps were below 90º I felt like I was doing well! My nighttime temps were also quite often above my daylight temps...I have no idea if and how that effected the plants.

Take-aways - Environment is key! Being able to tightly control the environment is the one advantage we have as indoor growers. I already knew this, and was kicking myself the entire grow once the temps began to rise. Next grow I WILL master the growing environment. I’m constructing a new room that will be fully environmentally controlled...heat, A/C, humidity, and CO2.

Closing thoughts - Once I’m in the new room, I’m going to keep the grow-trays on casters, but move away from PVC for the stand. I used just under 40 gallons of soil for this grow, but when I switch to larger pots...say twenty-five 3 gallon pots, that will be 75 gallons of soil...with that much weight I’m going to construct something a bit more rigid, probably out of lumber.

I also found a couple of seeds in my harvest...4 so far, to be exact. This is very interesting to me. All the seeds I’ve ever grown here were feminized...there’s never been a male plant in the house. There was also so sign of any male parts on any plant. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that there must have been some stray pollen that got into my grow room from the outside world. I’m tempted to grow out these seeds...for all I know I might have a cross with some kind of super-spectacular local strain! :) The lesson though, is that if pollen can get in, so could mold spores, mites, etc. The new room will be sealed, and I’ll be very careful filtering air. So as long as I don’t cary anything in on me, I should be fine.

I’d like to thank everyone that followed along, or stopped in! It’s everyone’s input and discussions that really make the extra work of running a journal worth it, and I loved every minute of it! :thanks: :thanks: Also, thanks for putting up with my typos...I've cringed more than a few times reading some of my posts. Believe it or not, I actually do try my best to proof-read before I post, but it seems like something always manages to slip through.

With a smoke report being all that’s left for me to post...a task that’s proving to be more difficult than I anticipated :tokin:...I’d ask one of the mods to please move this to completed journals, at your convenience of course.

:ganjamon:

Great post grow report. :goodjob:

I agree Vape, sometimes it takes me over an hour to edit a post and i still let typos get through

Great post grow report. :goodjob:

I agree Vape, sometimes it takes me over an hour to edit a post and i still let typos get through

Thanks brother!

Yeah...it's rather frustrating to spend so much time editing and proof-reading, and still find mistakes a couple days later! Some of the issue is with me though! I have a touch of ADD, and my mind is always way ahead of whatever I'm reading or typing, so when I'm proof-reading my mind is always trying to jump ahead and I end up missing mistakes.

One of the things I do to make money from time to time involves submitting reports that can get close to 100 pages. I've found the only way I can catch most of the typos is to print out what I'm correcting and go back and proof-read with a highlighter the next day...even then, I always end up missing a few.

On a completely unrelated topic, I almost forgot to mention that I'm also testing out a new portable vaporizer by a company called ThermoVape...it's a really cool modular system that has attachments to vaporize botanicals, as well as essential oils or E-Liquids.

This is the T-1 pictured below:
After_Harvest_16.jpg

It's not as easy to use as the Solo I love so much, but I think after the learning curve, it's going to be the vaporizer I always have with me because of it's durability. The company has a bunch of youtube videos up, one of them is called 'fetch test' where they spend a couple minutes playing fetch with one and somebody's dog in the company parking lot. The things are damn near bulletproof!

Anyway, I think I might post a review after I've more throughly tested it! :grinjoint:

great review vape ! and it was fun and informative, how much does that little vaporizer run? im still a vape virgin, being broke all the time i find them to costly with all the other things i need all the time and a nice water pipe is only 30$ around here (sigh)

One of the site's sponsor's has it for $199: ThermoVape T1 - Oil Vaporizers - EZVapes.com

I'm not sure I would recommend it for someone new to vaping...you totally control the heat with a simple on-off slide switch. It only takes 5-10 seconds to vape from a cold unit which is cool, but that same rapid, powerful heating core can singe the buds until you get the hang of it, and nobody likes that burnt popcorn taste!

I also purchased an Evolution conversion with it. EZVapes has that complete unit for $155: ThermoVape Evolution - Portable Vaporizers - EZVapes.com It's a slightly less powerful 510 compatible cartridge unit for botanicals that will work with some 6 volt e-cigs, but so far I don't like it as much as the T1.

I still think for the money, and ease of use, the Arizer models are some of the best units you can get, and I highly recommend both the Extereme-Q and the Solo. That reminds me...I never did the demo using the bag on the Extreme-Q, I might have to incorporate that into my smoke report!

Congrats on the harvest Vape...:welldone:

I've been following along in creeper mode cause I've been working a lot & posting from my phone is a pain but I'm awed as always by your grow & can't wait for the next one. :adore:
:party:

Till then

:peace:

Thanks for the great info as per usual Vape! I love reading your threads.

:peace: Tim

:thanks: bro! :adore:

Congrats on the harvest Vape...:welldone:

I've been following along in creeper mode cause I've been working a lot & posting from my phone is a pain but I'm awed as always by your grow & can't wait for the next one. :adore:
:party:

Till then

:peace:

Hey MsMe! I was just thinking I hadn't seen you post in a while...I'm glad you stopped in! :thanks: Hopefully things are going well for you.

I'm going to be focusing on completing the new room now. How soon that gets done is dependent on my finances, but I'm hoping to be done with the framing and start wiring in a couple weeks.

In the mean time, I plan on spending some more time around here in the Introduce Yourself forum...unfortunately not enough of us get over there to say hello and :welcome: to the new members. I used to welcome everyone, but I couldn't keep up when I wasn't feeling that great. I'm hoping to try and fix that now... :thumb:

Vapedogg

Great summary. I enjoyed stopping in. I hope it is not too long before you are at it again.

Buck

I still think for the money, and ease of use, the Arizer models are some of the best units you can get, and I highly recommend both the Extereme-Q and the Solo. That reminds me...I never did the demo using the bag on the Extreme-Q, I might have to incorporate that into my smoke report!

Excellent job! Last time I was here you were just starting this grow and now I came back and you finished :) Time flies! I haven't been traveling around to much because I got to into sitting on here all day so I pulled back quite a bit (more then quite a bit).

I have to totally agree with you on the Arizer models. I got my extreme q 4.0 for $155 shipped from amazon. I love every bit of it, especially using the bags. Hooking the bags up to a bong is even fun! Again, great job with the grow!

Great info on the tape vapedogg! Im ordering one now! I broke my vape ape

Hey bro! Which one are you ordering...the T1? I was talking about so many I confused myself! :)

Vapedogg

Great summary. I enjoyed stopping in. I hope it is not too long before you are at it again.

Buck

Thanks bro! It's probably going to be a couple of months before the new room is fully operational...the longer I wait the more I keep modifying my design to make small improvements. :) I still want to have a journal for my moms...who knows, maybe I'll end up starting that one first...:scratchinghead:

Excellent job! Last time I was here you were just starting this grow and now I came back and you finished :) Time flies! I haven't been traveling around to much because I got to into sitting on here all day so I pulled back quite a bit (more then quite a bit).

I have to totally agree with you on the Arizer models. I got my extreme q 4.0 for $155 shipped from amazon. I love every bit of it, especially using the bags. Hooking the bags up to a bong is even fun! Again, great job with the grow!

Thanks bro! yeah, time has definitely been flying!

I've been meaning to play with using a vaporizer with some of my glass pieces...I even picked up the glass adapter for the new one I just got...:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom