Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Okay...so I had said I wanted to take a few minutes to go over some mistakes I made along the way. Here goes!

1. Pot size and type - I knew any kind of organic grow was going to be a challenge in 3 liter (.8 gallon) pots...furthermore, the very reason I like Air-Pots, is one of the things that make it more difficult...all the air holes in the sides and bottom. This design is key in how the Air-Pots work, but the downside is that the beneficial microbes in the soil need moisture to stay alive. The combination of a small volume of soil to start with, along with the Air-Pot design, means the pots can dry out very quickly if not watched closely. I was able to stay on top of it for the most part, but there were a couple times the pots were left to dry out more than I wanted them to.

The size was an issue simply because the plants/microbes can very quickly consume all the nutrients in that small volume of soil, and they must be replenished more often with minerals and fertilizers.

For grows using chemical nutrients, the size is much less critical, and as long as the grower can keep up on the waterings they'll be fine. For a setup like mine with Air-Pots, I think a drip irrigation system would be ideal for someone using chemical nutes! :thumb:

Take-aways - Next time use bigger pots! I'm also going to move away from Air-Pots for an organic/high Brix SOG type grow. I can fit a larger volume of soil in the same footprint by using square pots.

2. Early in the grow...week 2 of bloom to be exact, I let the pots use up their energy - I had only added one cup of hen manure per 1 cubic foot of soil when I prepared the mix. This was half of the amount recommended by the manufacturer. A few days earlier I had sensed something was up, and fed with a light dose of fish fertilizer. It turned out that wasn't enough and overnight they started to yellow. Doc had just warned me to watch the soil energy, and I thought I was on top of it...but things happened very quickly. I immediately top dressed with more minerals, some hen manure, and worm castings and watered everything in with some freshly brewed tea. the next day they were greening up again and by the second day they looked like they hadn't skipped a beat...except for some of the leaves that I'll discuss below. From this point on, it seemed like I was constantly trying to keep things green! As Doc explained it, too many beneficials can also be a culprit for using up the soil's energy.

Take-aways - I should have started with the recommended dose of 2 cups hen manure per 1 CF of soil...to be honest, this strain is a very heavy feeder, so I probably could have added a bit more than that. Also, regularly top-dress with minerals and manure BEFORE the plants show signs of a deficiency. That part is tricky, and I think just a matter of experience to time it right. I also need to consider diluting the microbe tea more than the recommended 1:9 ratio. This might not be necessary with all teas, but the Natures Own I've been using is teeming with microbes, and could probably stand to be diluted down more for container gardens.

3. Bleached leaves - I was very careful about lowering the light slowly early on, but the plants took off and were doing great. They seemed to be loving the light, and I had let them get maybe 10-12 inches from the hood. This would have been fine, but it was right then my soil ran out of energy, and the plants started to yellow. The lack of chlorophyll in the leaves combined with the bright light caused some bleaching. When the plants greened up again these bleached areas never recovered. I'll be more cautious with the light next time.

4. Fungus gnats - When I cured my soil energy issue by top-dressing with manure and worm castings I also created a layer in the pots that was like a fungus gnat love shack! :oops: I very quickly had thousands of the little bastards! Fungus gnats eat fungi and decaying matter in the soil, and as long as they have food available, they leave the plants alone. But we still don't want these pests in our grow rooms! If they run out of their normal food source they will start eating the plant's roots...not good! They can also spread soil borne disease, but in a clean grow room with a fresh soil mix I don't think that's a huge concern. There's also the issue of fungus gnats stuck in your trichomes...also not good! These things multiply quickly, each adult only lives 7-10 days, but females can lay 100-300 eggs in that time!

Take-aways - Be proactive with fungus gnats! Use mosquito dunks or Gnatrol to kill larva before they are adults, and sticky traps on the pots to catch the adults before a serious outbreak occurs. A couple waterings a week apart with mosquito dunks absolutely decimated my fungus gnat population!

Just to give you an idea...this is how bad it got before I used the dunks.
Fungus_Gnats.jpg

These traps were were all out at the same time, and filled up in about a week. After the treatment, two weeks later, there were only a few left in the room...I didn't even put out any more traps! :yahoo:

5. Environment - This was a constant battle for me. My grow room was supposed to be temporary, and was not set up for hot weather. We had a very hot early Spring, combined with some crazy swings in the temperature and humidity. I ran the light at night, and was able to maintain ideal temps early on, but later on in the grow, if temps were below 90º I felt like I was doing well! My nighttime temps were also quite often above my daylight temps...I have no idea if and how that effected the plants.

Take-aways - Environment is key! Being able to tightly control the environment is the one advantage we have as indoor growers. I already knew this, and was kicking myself the entire grow once the temps began to rise. Next grow I WILL master the growing environment. I'm constructing a new room that will be fully environmentally controlled...heat, A/C, humidity, and CO2.

Closing thoughts - Once I'm in the new room, I'm going to keep the grow-trays on casters, but move away from PVC for the stand. I used just under 40 gallons of soil for this grow, but when I switch to larger pots...say twenty-five 3 gallon pots, that will be 75 gallons of soil...with that much weight I'm going to construct something a bit more rigid, probably out of lumber.

I also found a couple of seeds in my harvest...4 so far, to be exact. This is very interesting to me. All the seeds I've ever grown here were feminized...there's never been a male plant in the house. There was also so sign of any male parts on any plant. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that there must have been some stray pollen that got into my grow room from the outside world. I'm tempted to grow out these seeds...for all I know I might have a cross with some kind of super-spectacular local strain! :) The lesson though, is that if pollen can get in, so could mold spores, mites, etc. The new room will be sealed, and I'll be very careful filtering air. So as long as I don't cary anything in on me, I should be fine.

I'd like to thank everyone that followed along, or stopped in! It's everyone's input and discussions that really make the extra work of running a journal worth it, and I loved every minute of it! :thanks: :thanks: Also, thanks for putting up with my typos...I've cringed more than a few times reading some of my posts. Believe it or not, I actually do try my best to proof-read before I post, but it seems like something always manages to slip through.

With a smoke report being all that's left for me to post...a task that's proving to be more difficult than I anticipated :tokin:...I'd ask one of the mods to please move this to completed journals, at your convenience of course.

:ganjamon:

HOLY SHIT!!! That's a lot of pests right there until I read what you typed in I thought I was looking at some germinating seeds.

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Hi Vapedogg223.

I agree with everyone else.... a fine summary.:Namaste:

However....I will miss your journal too. Maybe your Mothers...or......one following your new construction...just adding something here and there. What I am saying is I would miss you and your sense of humor.

I remember taking a break between grows......it helped....but that was a while ago. In the end do what's best for you my friend! :peace:

Re: Vapedogg223’s Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Hey MsMe! I was just thinking I hadn't seen you post in a while...I'm glad you stopped in! Hopefully things are going well for you.

I'm going to be focusing on completing the new room now. How soon that gets done is dependent on my finances, but I'm hoping to be done with the framing and start wiring in a couple weeks.

Seems silly to complain about working a lot & making $$$$...life is good...thanks for asking :circle-of-love:

I seem to remember you saying you might do a journal or something with the bonsai moms or your room construction???
I for one would love to see that!!!

I do however, understand the need to regroup & switch focus from time to time.
I think you're like me in that you wouldn't do a journal or anything else unless you could put the time and energy into doing it right and I think to do a really great job like you've done here would take a lot of both :thumb:

I do love your style of growing and writing & think you have a knack for writing that will be missed.
Maybe if not during the construction then maybe after??? A DIY of some sort???

Taking care of yourself is the most important thing so just be sure to do that!!!
We'll all be waiting impatiently for the next chapter...

:peace:

Re: Vapedogg223’s Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Very nice summary of your grow Vape!!! I cannot believe those yellow stickys coated in fungus gnats...holy cow!!! I love mosquito dunks and now I use them every other watering for prevention... I still get a few hear and there...but nothing like before... I had the same infestation on my first grow, where I would pull back my soil and see just hundreds of larva in just a spooful of soil...with the dunks, not anymore :)

I agree with the larger pots for the high brix... I went with #4 smartpots with mine, but with a 2 month veg, i wore my soil out of energy.. I think next grow I may shoot for 7's... :) I also went overboard with the topdressings... I think i did it 4x my entire grow and added too much calcium, and then my problems started with lockouts... Cant wait to see whats next in store...

HOLY SHIT!!! That's a lot of pests right there until I read what you typed in I thought I was looking at some germinating seeds.

Yeah...There's usually going to be a few here and there on any organic grow, but it was getting out of hand before I used the mosquito dunks. There were so many folks dealing with them recently, that I wanted to show that the dunks really work...even for a serious outbreak! :thumb:

Hi Vapedogg223.

I agree with everyone else.... a fine summary.:Namaste:

However....I will miss your journal too. Maybe your Mothers...or......one following your new construction...just adding something here and there. What I am saying is I would miss you and your sense of humor.

I remember taking a break between grows......it helped....but that was a while ago. In the end do what's best for you my friend! :peace:

I'm not going anywhere brother! I just need to clear my head every so often, maybe call it a re-boot...much of my stress is self-inflicted, so taking a step back helps.

I will be posting something on the new room for sure, I just have to figure out what I'm comfortable showing at what stage. A journal on the moms is going to happen also, but I don't want to bite off too much at once. :)

Seems silly to complain about working a lot & making $$$$...life is good...thanks for asking :circle-of-love:

I seem to remember you saying you might do a journal or something with the bonsai moms or your room construction???
I for one would love to see that!!!

I do however, understand the need to regroup & switch focus from time to time.
I think you're like me in that you wouldn't do a journal or anything else unless you could put the time and energy into doing it right and I think to do a really great job like you've done here would take a lot of both :thumb:

I do love your style of growing and writing & think you have a knack for writing that will be missed.
Maybe if not during the construction then maybe after??? A DIY of some sort???

Taking care of yourself is the most important thing so just be sure to do that!!!
We'll all be waiting impatiently for the next chapter...

Working a lot, and making money...:hmmmm: I sort of remember something like that... :) I'm glad things are good!

Thank you for the kind words! :circle-of-love: Like I was just saying, I'm planning on that stuff happening...I just need to work around the rest of my life to make it happen! You're absolutely correct about the time and energy that goes into it, so I just want to make sure once I start something I can keep up with it. :thumb:

:thanks:

Very nice summary of your grow Vape!!! I cannot believe those yellow stickys coated in fungus gnats...holy cow!!! I love mosquito dunks and now I use them every other watering for prevention... I still get a few hear and there...but nothing like before... I had the same infestation on my first grow, where I would pull back my soil and see just hundreds of larva in just a spooful of soil...with the dunks, not anymore :)

I agree with the larger pots for the high brix... I went with #4 smartpots with mine, but with a 2 month veg, i wore my soil out of energy.. I think next grow I may shoot for 7's... :) I also went overboard with the topdressings... I think i did it 4x my entire grow and added too much calcium, and then my problems started with lockouts... Cant wait to see whats next in store...

:thanks: brother!

Yeah the dunks work great! I just spent a couple of hours working with my neglected moms, and I only saw one or two gnats. :)

I'm excited to get started again...I have SLH and Blueberry on deck, and can't wait to see how they are going to turn out! :thumb:

I've also been looking more into different concentrates...have you ever heard of Tamisium Extractors? The TE175 seems to be priced very reasonably for what it's capable of...imagine pure cannabis hemp oil extracted from the finest high Brix buds! :yummy:

Hey there Vape! Been a while since i have been by and sounds like you made it through. Wishing you the best brother. I would go with the slh only because i know that my ssh on hibrix was simply fantastic! :thumb:
Cant wait to see what you come up with next.

Hey there Vape! Been a while since i have been by and sounds like you made it through. Wishing you the best brother. I would go with the slh only because i know that my ssh on hibrix was simply fantastic! :thumb:
Cant wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks bro! If I can get the new room fully equipped for my first grow in it, I'll be working with double the space, so I'll probably grow both, side by side. :) But that's still a little ways off...if I only grew one it would be the SLH for sure, since I've never even tried a sativa dominant strain...I'm glad you were happy with the high Brix SSH! :high-five: I've come to the conclusion that everything is better high Brix!

Those extractors look intense!~ Especially the jumbo one~! I'm almost done collecting tools for my oil making...

Damn, that extractor looks amazing... I would definitely need to order a white lab coat and some nerd glasses with that machine!! looks like strait out of Dr Jeckel's lab :) is that a soon to be purchase or on the dream list of things to get ?

Those extractors look intense!~ Especially the jumbo one~! I'm almost done collecting tools for my oil making...

They're definitely cool! The large one is just too big for me...I wish I had enough to work with 8+ ounces at a time. :) I've already been playing with tinctures and plan on my first batch of oil very soon. In fact, I'm sitting looking at the rice cooker right now, I just haven't had the time to sit down and do it! I'm curious...have you decided on what you're going to use as a solvent?

Damn, that extractor looks amazing... I would definitely need to order a white lab coat and some nerd glasses with that machine!! looks like strait out of Dr Jeckel's lab :) is that a soon to be purchase or on the dream list of things to get ?

I'm thinking once the new room is fully equipped, one of these will be my next purchase! Unfortunately, one of my weaknesses is that I love to tinker with stuff! The possibilities are almost endless with one of these extractors...not just for cannabis, but all kinds essential oils that can be used for aroma therapy, etc.

There's a lot to learn though...essential oils, absolutes, concretes...I hadn't thought of the lab coat...I think I just might have to get one too! :thumb:

hey bro i hit you with more questions in my journal,im on my way out the door or i would just re ask here sorry to b lame lol

Just got back on the computer and saw your response...hopefully I answered in time! :)

:goodluck:

Hi Vap, I have been having fungus gnat issues here and I see you are very experienced with them. I tried that SNS fungus gnat stuff and I think I heard the gnats actually laugh at me. The sticky traps seem to catch a lot but that is a battle that will never end. I have some dunks that I have no idea how to use, other than putting them in water and using that water on my plants. Is there a better way that is more effective because I haven't seen much if anything happen with watering them like this. That other stuff Gnatrol or whatever it's called I can't get online anywhere won't deliver to me here.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Vap, I have been having fungus gnat issues here and I see you are very experienced with them. I tried that SNS fungus gnat stuff and I think I heard the gnats actually laugh at me. The sticky traps seem to catch a lot but that is a battle that will never end. I have some dunks that I have no idea how to use, other than putting them in water and using that water on my plants. Is there a better way that is more effective because I haven't seen much if anything happen with watering them like this. That other stuff Gnatrol or whatever it's called I can't get online anywhere won't deliver to me here.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Use yellow sticky's everywhere it is dark and shady in your tent, use mosquito dunks with every other watering, crush up 1 dunk per 5 gallons of water or take a dunk crush it up on the top of the soil, and work it into the top 1" of soil... If your problem is really bad azamax or azatrol are very good soil drench products... This should work for ya!

Back
Top Bottom