Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

I'm just so extremely thrilled that you're still here. Made my day to find that out. I thought maybe I jinxed you when I nominated you for MOTM. Sure glad I didn't! :)

Here's how I feel about you still being here (WARNING: abuse of smilies coming):

:yahoo::thumb::love::cheer::high-five::bravo::clap::slide::party::headbanger::xmas::phew:

Thanks, Bro!
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I really appreciate that and no jinx! MOTM voting did get somewhat messed up this month for me, but SteveH is well deserving and I had been waiting to cast my vote to possibly vote for him anyways! Like I had mentioned in a previous post, it's really great just to be nominated and every one of them is deserving, so I'll catch it again in a future month.

Hey - like your new signature. I also think you should take this opportunity to find a new avatar. I actually started to imagine that looks just like you! (Maybe it does?!?) Nothing wrong with it - I actually loved it and the humor of it, but fresh starts man! Make lemonade! Love ya buddy. Welcome back. :)

Hey - like your new signature. I also think you should take this opportunity to find a new avatar. I actually started to imagine that looks just like you! (Maybe it does?!?) Nothing wrong with it - I actually loved it and the humor of it, but fresh starts man! Make lemonade! Love ya buddy. Welcome back. :)

Actually, that's a great idea, especially since someone's using the old avatar trying to impersonate me!

BTW...I like JCool's saying that "When life gives you lemons, make lemon haze!"

Thanks, again, Bro! :circle-of-love:

I'm feeling sad - I just vaporized the last of one of my favorite strains, and the first strain I ever grew (I grew it several times since). :rip:

I'm curious, what's the first strain you ever grew, do you still like it, and do you still grow it? Love to hear peoples feedback!

:bong:

My first grow was from a single seed I found in a bag of Kind when I was 14, hehe. Was so beautiful....Ever since then I guess you could say I was hook'd!!

Hi GT -

Nothing like a good mystery bag seed to get a person hooked on the hobby. Many a person here got started that way!

So far we have:

• Xlr8: Snow White (Nirvana) -- Just ran out!
  • Propa Gator: PE & Paki -- Still growing PE
  • OMM: Lemon Skunk/Lucy -- OMM always has Lucy, and sounds like more Lemon Skunk in the future
  • GT: Bag seed of kind bud -- hooked him on the hobby!

Anyone else want to weigh in? :)

'Sup OMM? I'm still jazzed that Mr. Krip is still around!

Lemon Skunk! Well you know I value your opinion already, but what is it about Lemon Skunk that you like so much - what's it's magic for you? (BTW - I am so thrilled that at least one of my Lucy seedlings is looking great - the other looks okay buy healthy so far).

Believe me, I am just as jazzed as you are about our buddy Mr. Krip !!! :yahoo:

Yep, Lemon Skunk was just so easy to grow, never needed any special attention, she was very a good yielder and the smoke was wonderful. When you asked...I thought back and she just popped into my mind as one very good strain to grow. The person I grew for wanted all I had of her.....I saved a bit for myself though.:love:

Believe me, I am just as jazzed as you are about our buddy Mr. Krip !!! :yahoo:

Yep, Lemon Skunk was just so easy to grow, never needed any special attention, she was very a good yielder and the smoke was wonderful. When you asked...I thought back and she just popped into my mind as one very good strain to grow. The person I grew for wanted all I had of her.....I saved a bit for myself though.:love:

You just described that almost exactly as I would have described Snow White as far as growing it. Never needed much attention, yielded pretty well, strong, good high. What's not to like? Only down side to Snow White is it always puts me to sleep at the end. So I liked to reserve it as a night time smoke. :bongrip:

Oh man!!! My first plant was White Widow!!! I did so many rookie mistakes, but it finished!!! it smoked oh so beautifully!!! the taste was amazing!!! I would totally grow this again!!! but growing is a total hobby for me now!!! growing different strains and watching them grow their own unique ways!!!

:peacetwo:

Great question. Not by nature, but I'm planning on putting an airstone in there I think. (Though I know Mr. Smith recommends not doing that I think, and he really knows how to do this type of grow). Really knows. Mr. Smith can flat out grow. I might have to pick his brain more on this one.

Some other growers, and even the engineer who designed this version for Titan recommended putting an airstone in there. So, I'm probably going to try both ways. I believe Mr. Smith found greater PH fluctuations by aerating reservoir? Something like that - I'll look into it more before I get the thing going for real in the next couple of weeks...

Good question!

Id say throw an airstone in. I got one in mine with a powerful pump. I havent had any ph fluctuation problems. Im sure it can be fine without but the benefits i see are for one your enriching the solution with oxygen AND making sure that your nutes mix and dissolve and dont precipitate.

Aeration is to prevent anerobic slime from eating your roots. Moving water that isn't too warm is not likely to slime. Keep it dark :)
Also when you aerate, you disolve O2 and CO2 into the water. This is carbonic acid, and is powerful enough to corrode out all the monster limestone caves in the world. In my WaterFarms, minerals would precipitate at the air nozzle, driving the bubble lift up the column.
Why buy trouble? Say no to bubbles ;)

Oh man!!! My first plant was White Widow!!! I did so many rookie mistakes, but it finished!!! it smoked oh so beautifully!!! the taste was amazing!!! I would totally grow this again!!! but growing is a total hobby for me now!!! growing different strains and watching them grow their own unique ways!!!

:peacetwo:

Hi Astonr!

Good one! I've heard many good things about it, and supposedly white strains are a bit easier to grow and tolerant of grower error. Snow White is closely related to White Widow, and that was my first (and thankfully it WAS tolerant of grower error). Thanks for weighing in, astonr420! :)

Aeration is to prevent anerobic slime from eating your roots. Moving water that isn't too warm is not likely to slime. Keep it dark :)
Also when you aerate, you disolve O2 and CO2 into the water. This is carbonic acid, and is powerful enough to corrode out all the monster limestone caves in the world. In my WaterFarms, minerals would precipitate at the air nozzle, driving the bubble lift up the column.
Why buy trouble? Say no to bubbles ;)

Hey Propa -

Are you suggesting not aerating the reservoir? I'm easily confused today, so bear with me. I keep it outside of the grow space, in the dark, covered and relatively cool. If I'm flooding and draining, no need for aeration - is that what you are saying? Thanks for the clarification. I'm fuzzy headed as heck today. I really appreciate the advice and clarification. :)

Hey Propa -

Are you suggesting not aerating the reservoir? I'm easily confused today, so bear with me. I keep it outside of the grow space, in the dark, covered and relatively cool. If I'm flooding and draining, no need for aeration - is that what you are saying? Thanks for the clarification. I'm fuzzy headed as heck today. I really appreciate the advice and clarification. :)

I can think of no reason to aerate your E&F res. Plenty normal flow happens.
the engineer who designed this version for Titan recommended putting an airstone in there
I'd like to see his credentials :) Did the manufacturer include the stuff?(rhetorical)

@Propa Gator: seems we have a bit of a dispute of opinions hehe. Well im not saying youre wrong in any way. Youve got much more experience over me thats for sure. I'm not trying to be a know it all neither, just to make that clear. Dont you just hate when people misunderstand youre writing attitude? Anyways im just responding to say i believe aeration of the rez will not damage any of the components of the flo n gro set up. I put the stone in my rez because thats how they had the display model in the hydro store i go to. Man let me tell you!! Those plants were monsters!! I dont even kno what they were looked like rhubarb. Im not saying theyre huge from the water aeration, im just saying i dont think the my man(well call him john), a very experienced and seasoned grower would put that airstone in if it would hurt more than help. BUT, as with anything in life, I COULD BE WRONG. But thanks for your CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Not much of that going around these days. Just a bunch of YES-men lol.

@Xlr8: I really hope not to confuse you. Im sure Propa Gator is giving great advice and he has much experience. You can start without an airstone. The air pumps are loud, they use electricity, not much but some, so if you really dont need it, dont use it. As for mine im liking my results so ill keep it in. Cant wait to see you put ur babies in their new home!!

OK...I need to chime in, just cuz' that's what I do! I'd also defer to Propa, since he probably has more experience than all of us combined, and he's a much better poet! :)

So, that being said, I think the decision to have or not have an airstone may also be best made based on the types of nutes you'll be using. I've seen situations with organic nutes where having the res aerated can cause bacteria to grow. However, this is much less of an issue with synthetic nutes.

If bacteria wasn't an issue, I would think the more air, the better, and my recent experiments in the waterfarms using synthetic nutes seemed to show that the plant with the airstone in the res, did notably better than the plant without, albeit, waterfarms are a slightly different system.

Back
Top Bottom