Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

re: Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

:nomo:

On the mend?? Get well soon. It sucks being sick!

Your patience will pay off with the PE

Sq

Hope you feel as well as your Trich Pics look soon Buddy!! Pictures look so good they could be in a text book.
:bravo:

:nomo:

On the mend?? Get well soon. It sucks being sick!

Your patience will pay off with the PE

Sq

Thanks Sqwheels,
it's a little better each day - but it was bad enough that I'm still really run down and it might take a bit to get back up to speed fully.

I agree it's often best to be patient. I've always regretted harvesting at the wrong time, as you ruin all the hard work to that point with either inferior meds, or inferior yield... or both. I appreciate the insight! :)

Great harvesting thread X :bravo:

And that PE leaf looks delish my friend!! I do as you do and count day 1 of flower when I reduce the photoperiod, so I'm at day 48 myself, and things almost look done :popcorn: It's cool that we're so close together lol!

That's pretty ironic because I have one PE that is producing lots of pistils and has nice girth but the trichome production is nothing like the others

I have always wondered when to count my day 1 flower. I usually wait until there is actual pistils and obvious signs of bud development.
So from the flip im at 14 but I would call today the end of my first week.

I guess it really depends on the plant and when she wants to be ready too. There is about a week window to harvest at peak ripeness so getting to know your girls makes all the difference too.

XLR8 your a guru. keep it up

Your plants are nice. I love the strains your growing.
Some my call this training tech something else,
but i and a few others call it Main-Lining.
Go to google and type this in The Main-Lining Thread.
Its perfect for the TGA gear you grow. I dont want to
got into the details cause i cant grow and it sucks.
I dont live in a legal state and have small children living
in the house.
Not worth the hassle. I didnt mean to hijack or
mess your thread up, but I thought you might find main-ling useful.

Great harvesting thread X :bravo:

And that PE leaf looks delish my friend!! I do as you do and count day 1 of flower when I reduce the photoperiod, so I'm at day 48 myself, and things almost look done :popcorn: It's cool that we're so close together lol!

That's pretty ironic because I have one PE that is producing lots of pistils and has nice girth but the trichome production is nothing like the others

Thanks UG!

Yes, it's pretty common to have some variation of phenotypes amongst hybrid strains. Sometimes, the variations can be quite substantial, and sometimes barely perceptible it seems.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty stoked to vape some of this stuff up once it's dried and cured! :yummy:

I have always wondered when to count my day 1 flower. I usually wait until there is actual pistils and obvious signs of bud development.
So from the flip im at 14 but I would call today the end of my first week.

I guess it really depends on the plant and when she wants to be ready too. There is about a week window to harvest at peak ripeness so getting to know your girls makes all the difference too.

XLR8 your a guru. keep it up

Hey Shottafire -

I have changed how I look at this over time. In the end, and between us and our plant, it's all academic - they're done when they're done. So... it becomes a matter of communication and consistency that matters as far as here in the forums. I used to count flowering as "Day 1" as soon as pistils started showing and after 12/12 was initiated. However, it became clear that many people track "Day 1" as when the flip to 12/12 is made. Not everybody, however, and it remains confusing because of this.

Upon doing a little research, I read a post by Subcool from TGA Subcool genetics that solidified why I do it how I do it now. Someone asked him point-blank, "When you suggest flowering times for your strains, do you start from the initiation of 12/12, or when you first see pistils?" (or something to that effect). His answer was (paraphrasing): "The flowering days are assuming a reduction in daylight from 18/6 to 12/12, and the flowering days start as soon as this reduction to 12/12 is made".

Now, I realize Subcool's thinking isn't necessarily the way everyone wants to think of this, nor every breeder. However, to me, communicating days from flip seems the most universal language when communicating in the forums here. Plus, I had just bought a bunch of "TGA" seeds, so it seemed like the way to go for that reason, too.

Thank you for the props my friend (though I'm hardly a guru!). :thanks:

One other note: I'm insane, so I keep growing multiple strains at once in my grows. Indicas and Sativas living together and other silly notions. Sometimes, they show pistils at different times. Heck, some strains reach sexual maturity and show pistillate pre-flowers whilst still in veg - while others take up to 12 days in bloom. Another reason that for me, I find "Day 1" to be easier thought of as when the photoperiod was reduced to 12/12...

Your plants are nice. I love the strains your growing.
Some my call this training tech something else,
but i and a few others call it Main-Lining.
Go to google and type this in The Main-Lining Thread.
Its perfect for the TGA gear you grow. I dont want to
got into the details cause i cant grow and it sucks.
I dont live in a legal state and have small children living
in the house.
Not worth the hassle. I didnt mean to hijack or
mess your thread up, but I thought you might find main-ling useful.

Thank you for the tip/suggestion, Wildbill. The technique you are describing is brilliant...

I'm jealous that I didn't think of that, honestly. In many ways it's a nice improvement over what I do now, which is using 2 nodes to create an X shaped frame that the tops grow up from, bushing out the plant. I hope to try this technique you are suggesting in a future grow, as I really like the logic and the exploitation of that knowledge/logic.

To explain a bit more for anyone else interested, without really sending them off-site:

First, mad props to the grower "Nug Buckets" who seems to be the pioneer of this technique, or at least sharing it with the world.

My current training method:
Normally, for example, I'd top a plant in such a way that the growth energy is split between 4 main trunks at the base of the plant. Some refer to this technique as "UBT" or "Uncle Ben's Topping". You do this by cutting the top of the plant off above the second true node, once the plant has 6-7 nodes total. The remaining 4 side branches become the new "tops" and can be trained in such a way as to provide multiple colas. This is a good strategy indoors, especially compared to leaving a plant to grow as it would outdoors naturally (which isn't efficient indoors with height/size limitations). The weakness in this strategy is that typically 2 of the branches still end up slightly dominant to the other 2, resulting in cola size differences, etc. Sometimes, I go one level higher, resulting in 6 main branches/tops - but again, it's hard to get them equal in size (if not impossible).

What I do now (NOT mainlining). Jillybean has 6 main trunks (older picture from earlier in the grow):
feb_13_topping_info2.jpg

Vortex has 4 main tops/branches (again, pic taken earlier in the grow):
feb_13_topping_info1.jpg

"Mainlining" would be topping above the 3rd node, then removing the 2 below it. Now, the plants energy is equally distributed to 2 main stems. This is important! Now, these 2 main stems will each get topped similarly a few more times, depending on how many main colas you want.

Because of how it's done, the energy is more equally distributed amongst the branches since it's all coming from one node at the origin point. The energy remains equally distributed to the resulting branch points on either side. Brilliant!

Here's an example I pulled from the web (not my plant) - notice all growth comes from both sides of one node (branching point), resulting in greater symmetry and equal branch size(s):
mainlining_example_1.jpg

Here's another very nice example (not mine). Notice how symmetrical things stay if you derive all growth from the same branching point:
mainlining_example_3.jpg

One more pic, a grower took after the "chop":
mainlining_example_2.jpg

Wildbill, thanks for bringing this technique to my attention. It's got my wheels turning for sure, and makes a lot of sense as a way to exploit the plants natural growth tendencies to our advantage indoors...

:thanks:

:thanks:X and Wild Bill, if you've seen my journals then you know im all about training.I ve heard the term"mainlining before but never seen it explained like that,reps to you X for the awesome tutorial it really makes alot of sense to me, so much so that im going to try it next round:)

Me too!

+reps for both of you.

Back
Top Bottom