2 Girls & 1 Kit: Major PITA Takes High Brix Outdoors, Summer 2015

Evenin major, lookin friggen nice to me. They're gonna be huge brotha.:thumb:
Look at them pal,...watcha gonna do with all the "trim" ? Man , i could make some wicked bubblehash out of it.
Your gonna have ALOT of produce from them, there ladies Major. They look nice and green so far too eh....no fading of any kind ? Even lowest fans still green? I'm comin down...gonna set up a secure perimitter around them.:slide:...how's the neighbor workin out...the one with the "produce"? Have you figured out when harvest should be ? Have a great sleep ....later.:high-five:

Thanks for all the comments guys!

As for all the trim, probably 75% will get trashed. The rest will go to: juice, oil, butter and bubble. My wife likes to eat but not smoke so this should hold her over for a while. I'll give a lot of the smoke away to a couple of friends that didn't get to grow this summer since the new law didn't kick in until July.

A few of the lowest, oldest fan leaves turned yellow, but I don't think I've picked more than a half dozen leaves off any plant. The rest of them are looking really good. A few have been chewed by something I can't find, but really 95% of each plant is just about perfect.

The neighbors and I get along great. Their plants are getting huge, too. They are all in the ground and they know how to garden. I can see them from my garden. I did get a Sour Diesel cutting from him but I'm not sure it will take. My first attempt at cloning went great. My last two have been only about 40% successful. No idea why.

I do think I'm seeing the beginning of them flowering. The PB is quick at 6-7 weeks. Outdoors, who knows, but I'm hoping for roughly an October 1st finish for them. Then the AoS will have a little more room for their final couple of weeks.

I parked our truck between the garden and our driveway. It does a pretty good job of blocking the view. Time will tell...

By my next update, the AoS will be a solid 7 feet and I'll probably start my "7 week bloom countdown". I make sure all the surrounding soil gets well watered (no drenches) so any roots outside the pots get moisture if nothing else. All the corn (but one) is gone, so nothing left to compete with them. The only problem for me finishing them is I am going to run out of kit ingredients. Even though there are only two plants, I will run out of drenches and foliars, except Transplant and Cat (I bought an extra quart of Trans). Not sure what I will do about it.

Happy Sunday, all. Keep rockin' your grows!

Original Sour Diesel is some great sativa smoke, I hope she'll stay in your garden for next year :high-five:

\Sounds like your gonna need to splurge for some more stuff...G.E. and maybe some more Brix. Watcha think pal? All else is goin good for ya ...great to see.:high-five:

Yep. I'll probably buy one more kit and use the stuff from it to finish this grow.
I think I'm close to having enough, and I may not start another grow immediately. I don't want to have quarts of Tea and Cat sitting around for months. Once I cook another batch of soil I could order bulk and come up with a good match of products as I learn more about the use of the products.

The organic soil mix is also performing well. I'd like to see what the end results are before I commit to my next round. The brix readings are about the same, my mix is dirt cheap to make, and it is even easier than the "kit". Just add water. No drenches or sprays to mix and measure. Quality is king, so if/when the HB plants taste better or yield better, that's the way I will go. Initially, the HB Pitbull was king for size,sheen and looks, but as time went on, it became the smallest plant. The AoS in kit soil continues to lead the way, but the other, in my mix, is catching up quick. It all comes down to the final product, of course.

Original Sour Diesel is some great sativa smoke, I hope she'll stay in your garden for next year :high-five:

I hope so too. I haven't given up on it yet. I put 8 cuttings in my cloner but it is the one that looks least happy. A couple of others have already rooted and are in cups.

Yep. I'll probably buy one more kit and use the stuff from it to finish this grow.
I think I'm close to having enough, and I may not start another grow immediately. I don't want to have quarts of Tea and Cat sitting around for months. Once I cook another batch of soil I could order bulk and come up with a good match of products as I learn more about the use of the products.

The organic soil mix is also performing well. I'd like to see what the end results are before I commit to my next round. The brix readings are about the same, my mix is dirt cheap to make, and it is even easier than the "kit". Just add water. No drenches or sprays to mix and measure. Quality is king, so if/when the HB plants taste better or yield better, that's the way I will go. Initially, the HB Pitbull was king for size,sheen and looks, but as time went on, it became the smallest plant. The AoS in kit soil continues to lead the way, but the other, in my mix, is catching up quick. It all comes down to the final product, of course.

Arent you in the ground? If so, you really don't have a high brix grow....you've got a hybrid sort of grow. I'd expect both versions to be pretty similar, seeing as how the roots are in the in same soil.

Arent you in the ground? If so, you really don't have a high brix grow....you've got a hybrid sort of grow. I'd expect both versions to be pretty similar, seeing as how the roots are in the in same soil.

Yes - in softpots, in the ground since the latter part of May. However, two of them get all the roots, amendments, drenches, tea and foliars. The other two just get water from my well and creek.

That's why I'm not sure I'll try the kit outside again. I haven't figured out how to take full advantage of all that solar power and the long growing season without using several kit's worth of soil for each plant. I'm getting the impression a single plant can very easily use 25 cubic feet of soil when grown outdoors - something like a 4 foot diameter root ball, going two feet deep. I'm pretty sure mine would be at least that large if not in pots. That and the fact there is no environmental control possible. Like you, I feel that is the most critical component.

On the other hand, when I read about hi brix gardening, I think about the brix measurements, plant health, and produce flavor, more than how exactly they got there. I'm not complaining about my results at all. If I can keep the brix readings where they are, I should finish great. All four plants have been reading 15+ for the last couple of weeks.

Just catching up Major.

Yes - in softpots, in the ground since the latter part of May. However, two of them get all the roots, amendments, drenches, tea and foliars. The other two just get water from my well and creek.

That's why I'm not sure I'll try the kit outside again. I haven't figured out how to take full advantage of all that solar power and the long growing season without using several kit's worth of soil for each plant. I'm getting the impression a single plant can very easily use 25 cubic feet of soil when grown outdoors - something like a 4 foot diameter root ball, going two feet deep. I'm pretty sure mine would be at least that large if not in pots. That and the fact there is no environmental control possible. Like you, I feel that is the most critical component.

On the other hand, when I read about hi brix gardening, I think about the brix measurements, plant health, and produce flavor, more than how exactly they got there. I'm not complaining about my results at all. If I can keep the brix readings where they are, I should finish great. All four plants have been reading 15+ for the last couple of weeks.

Outdoors should be bulk order bro. The people I know who are totally killing it in greenhouses are in 10x10 raised beds, 1 plant per bed. Of course, if you don't need a 6 pound plant, you could always grow two plants in a 4x8 raised bed. You need more soil and amendment, but the drenches are about the same.

And I agree, your plants do look really, really nice, both kinds.

Mornin Major....ya , what Doc said eh...would be so nice to pop a couple seeds in an 8 x 8 raised bed or even a 4 x 4 bed! More soil = more roots....more roots = bigger plant,....bigger plant = more produce!:thumb:
Your girls are gonna treat you and Mrs. Pita really nice. Better tell all your friends to warm up their scissors eh!
Cheers Major and have an awesome day!

The Weakly (Week #17 / Day #116)
Puberty at last! (No, not me.)

:welcome: to the weekly update from DogDish, Oregon, in beautiful Happy Valley!

The girls are finally just beginning to show their naughty bits. I'm going to call today, "Day 0" of their bloom/flowering. I tried to capture it, but my picture taking sucks mightily. If this weekend is the beginning of bloom, that should put harvest around the first of October. We'll see how that prediction holds up...

The Ace of Spades plants continue to stack on the inches. They added another 5"-6" and are now just under, and just over, 7' tall. The Pitbulls are very different and continue to currently add only about one inch per week.

Brix readings keep looking good. I tried twice to get a measurement from the Pitbull but even with two top leaves, all I get is a greasy wad of sludge w/o enough juice to measure. I'll have to try again with three or four leaves.

It is hard to spot the tops of the plants with all the green behind them so I marked them in red. The tops of the netting & wooden posts (w/o the teapot or balls) are just over seven feet tall.
AoS_08-08-15.jpg

My attempt to capture some early pistils.
Pistils14.jpg

Calibration and the brix du jour. This reading is from AoS leaves. I put it at about 19.
Brix_08-08-15.jpg

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Hopefully I'll have some tastier shots in a few weeks.
:Namaste:

Nice looking tress Major. I really think you should try again next year in a raised bed or huge cloth pot. See how big you can grow one. Even with your really hot weather and storms they look great. Cant wait to see some monster flowers :Rasta:

Next year will be w/o pots, for sure. I have a plan - still in its infancy. A lot depends on what I learn over the winter with my indoor grow(s). With any luck, I will amend my garden soil and just plant in the ground. It may only be two plants due to space limitations, but I'd like to see if I can grow something huge. We have cedar trees within 100 feet of the garden that look like redwoods - seriously huge (it takes four people to put their arms around them). I'd like to shoot for a 20' MJ plant. The big limitation I have in my garden is soil depth. It is only 16". I think of it as a sunken raised bed. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I think I can. I think I can...

Major, my brotha....they're gonna be fuckin huge, period. I'm comin down to do a bunch of Bubblehash runs.:blunt: Really, one branch will prolly do ya fine for a month.:surf:
One of your girls has a real delicate Sativa look to her eh. Your plan for next yr. sounds like it's moving right along. If i may....you say 16" of good soil depth?....rototill it all up really good while mixing in the appropriate amount of DBHBB amendments and a bunch of cubes of Pro Mix some EWC's., let it fester a while...can you imagine ...i can...big huge honkin trees. Gotta book pal...GF's comin over...:tokin:

Im jealous.. but so glad your coasting to such a plentiful high quality harvest. Your gonna have one hell of a top cola on that one on the left.

Im with You, Snoop and Duggan. You have to do this again and again.:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom