Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

Haha!
Cricket is like reading a good book Duggs. Test cricket anyway. Perfect holiday pass time...

Match was pretty good. Australia won the World Cup, so yay for them! It was a bit of a lame pitch tho so the batters didn’t really get to shine, apart from showing their ability to deal with a ‘sticky wicket’!

Has anyone ever heard that expression? “A sticky wicket” - for a tricky situation?

You see, in cricket it’s all about the strip of dirt in the middle ... called the pitch, or wicket.
:Namaste:

dynamo’s mum must be an englander ;)

Ok - so being an Australian lass I’ve of course heard every possible lewd variation of jokes about the sticky wicket :D

But truly... cricket is all about the bounce of the ball - big point of difference with baseball, right - so the state of the pitch, or wicket, tends to shape the game to some extent.

When the wicket is a little damp on top, the ball can hold up in it a bit and make the bounce variable and very difficult to read... it gets “sticky” in other words. It takes superior skill and concentration to overcome the challenges to one’s timing and not give easy catches etc. it’s aboit the most difficult batting conditions, because of how it affects timing.

Hence, tricky situation requiring extra skill and patience and possibly unmanageable... = a “sticky wicket”. It’s a handy expression (potential innuendos aside ;) ). And to bring it back to topic... these fckkn gnats are giving me quite a sticky wicket to deal with :rofl:

I like all those things too :)

Well, maybe not the accent so much. Some of them perhaps - there’s more variation than you’d think - but mostly not. I like Canadian accents, and Spanish and some American ones. Cary Grant is a special one, although I don’t know if anyone actually speaks like that, at least not anymore ... wow! Sent me on a whole tangent there Pt!

Oh, that reminds me! Look at this lovely I snapped in the garden a few days ago (it’s near my cannabis bushes so still on topic!)

1338E16B-0CD8-4EB9-BDDE-964664FEC1E4.jpeg

:rofl: Yes there is an ant in there too.

There is lots of everything here.

The garden had aphids all season last year and there was never one on my ganja. I don’t expect that to just happen on its own of course - the aphids like the broccoli so we usually just let it be the ‘fall guy’.

Seriously, I have already spotted aphids, white fly and thrips (not to mention gnats :rolleyes:). Along with numerous predators... all I can do is treat for is as best I can with all the IPM approaches and do my best to raise the Brix levels in the plants and let the balance of nature prevail - with some targeted attacks when needed. We’re about to whack everything in the patch with an eco oil treatment or the DB leaf wash product. It is what it is.
There’s no visible aphids on that flowering rocket - but I haven’t taken to loupe to it, I’ll check later.
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom