Hello Smeegol!

If you are growing outdoors then I don’t think you need to worry about removing a ton of fan leaves. The light from the sun is far better than the light we produce in tents and since the light in tents only projects facing down, it is far more important to remove leaves to get light to the new growth. Outdoors the sun gets light to the plant from all angles so pulling the leaves aren’t as important. Honestly I’d probably just leave them with the flowering phase close.

Went and had a look now but as you've said the sun is getting in all round so they shall stay... Thanking thee kindly.

Day 31 Veg (Day 38 Overall) - Flip Day!

***Disclaimer - If you are trying to mimic quadlining from start to finish, I would not use the overall days as any measure of when you should do certain things. Make sure you are focused on what the plants look like rather than what day they are on. Everyone has different grow environments, mediums, nutrient schedules and lights. Just because I am flipping today doesn't mean your plants are also ready on day 38. They might be ready before that or after that but make sure they are where you want them before flipping.***

As I have mentioned before, I have a vacation coming in about two weeks and I decided that today would be flip day. The plants look really happy and healthy and it gives me two full weeks of 12/12 to handle stretch. I'll have a good idea of where to place my lights before I leave and it will leave my helper with nothing to do but water. I make it really easy too since I make up buckets of feed up so all they have to do is dip the pitcher in and put it in the pot. If you ever have someone cover your grow while you are away, I suggest you make it as clear and easy as possible. Think in terms of people who have never grown either. The more variables you leave for them to do, the more likely it is that something is going to get messed up.

Anyways I am very happy with this round of girls' progress and I likely would have waited 4 or so days more for them to fill out a bit more (42 days overall from sprout is usually where I end up), but I wanted the full two weeks of stretch to happen. I haven't really done any adjusting or defoliating from last time so they are ready to transition quickly into flower. If you chose to defoliate and keep training them while you flip, you can expect the plants not to stretch and flower as quickly. I've found if I do a large defoliation right before hand that it takes 4-5 extra days for the plants to go into flower mode and start shooting out hairs. In coco/hydro it is ideal to not do anything to the plants for at least a few days before flip. Anything that gets out of line can be defoliated after stretch is over. In soil I'd almost give them an entire week to just grow and be happy before flip. Do not flip plants that are stressed out or are unhappy and hope it works out. It never ends up as good as it could have been if you corrected the problem pre-flip.

At this point the plants structures are pretty much set. The colas will begin to get a feel for how much space each one has and as they stretch they will move into the correct positions for the most part. All of the colas want light and will bend one way or the other to make sure they are getting it. As they really get into stretch mode, if a cola begins to be more vertical than the others then I will pinch the branches with my fingers (just enough to break the cells of the walls but not cause the cola to bend over like a super-crop) so that cola has to divert some energy into repairing and stop growing for a second. Sometimes colas will just go crazy and that requires a full supercrop to make sure everything stays even but for the most part if they are even now, they will end up pretty even in the end. This is why I wanted to flip them now though so I could do the last of my work to ensure that things are going to be even in the end.

The only plant that will definitely end up shorter is the Double Berry in the back right corner. If it ends up short enough I can always prop it up on a bucket so it gets the same light everyone else does but she is just a couple inches shorter at the moment. I expect the other 3 to end up the same size though. GSC is front right, Purple Trainwreck is front left and DTF is back left.

Looking great Ase I can’t wait to see them in flower they are going to fill that tent nicely

That's the goal! I do wish I had another couple days to just let them go but just gotta roll with the punches. If I didn't do it now then I would have had to of waited until right before I left or right when I got back and that could have led to plants getting out of control like my last grow. These were still trained way better and the last ones weren't hardly at all, but I also wanted to showcase that you can still grow nice plants without much of a delay in veg time. I really doubt too many people are flipping any earlier than 5ish weeks from the seeds sprouting.
Looking good Ase. Haven't been around much but hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you well in the upcoming new year.

2018 had a lot of change for me and I know it did for you as well! I'm much happier now and more well off so I'm looking forward to a whole year of this instead of the ups and downs 2018 had. 2019 will be a crazy year for me as I will buy a house, put a ring on a finger and look towards owning my own business. Even though those are all big things, they are all fun things in the end. I won't miss 2018 much as it had some trying times but I will respect that it was finally the year I made the changes I needed to make to really start to transition in life. Hopefully you will be reaping the benefits of your changes from 2018 and 2019 grants you and your family good health.

Plants are looking fantastic Ase and super healthy! I’m transplanting my critical girls and then giving them a few weeks to fill out their new pots.
My goal is to flip mid January.

Thanks for all the details you have put into the quadline tutorial! It has made documenting and doing mine much easier being able to follow along side you this round!

Cheers Ase and I hope your well!

For you friend :passitleft:

Them gals all look about as even as you can make them. A little spacer under the back right and all would be good.

Right now nothing is blocking light from getting to it so I won’t use a spacer until something starts blocking it. Likely I’ll just raise it up post stretch so it’s even with the others then.

Tangerine Dream Update

The Tangerine Dream in it's own tent finally got the training it needed today. I tied some string to my tent poles and then tied some tomato wire to the end of that so it can keep training the plant further past the outside of the pot. I added a few more stakes to the equation to help support what is going to be some massive quad arms in the end. This is going to be a fun challenge for sure.

Training this morning. You can see the two ties I am using. Eventually I put two more on for the other arms but they can still be trained with just stakes as they aren't quite as long as the other two yet.
6 hours later, like it didn't even happen.
Day 1 Transition of Multi-strain. Lots of fresh green!

Tangerine Dream Update

The Tangerine Dream in it's own tent finally got the training it needed today. I tied some string to my tent poles and then tied some tomato wire to the end of that so it can keep training the plant further past the outside of the pot. I added a few more stakes to the equation to help support what is going to be some massive quad arms in the end. This is going to be a fun challenge for sure.

Training this morning. You can see the two ties I am using. Eventually I put two more on for the other arms but they can still be trained with just stakes as they aren't quite as long as the other two yet.
6 hours later, like it didn't even happen.
Day 1 Transition of Multi-strain. Lots of fresh green!

Crazy how fast a healthy plant responds! I’m transplanting my critical girls tomorrow and the training will continue!

I won't miss 2018 much as it had some trying times but I will respect that it was finally the year I made the changes I needed to make to really start to transition in life. Hopefully you will be reaping the benefits of your changes from 2018 and 2019 grants you and your family good health.
:high-five:
awesome! Man this last month or two this journal has been solid explaning why along with how. I've grown huge reaping from your hard work. Thank you, I agree with 2018. I made a pile of lemonade myself. Can't wait for the updates in '19! Your plans are amazing!

:high-five:
awesome! Man this last month or two this journal has been solid explaning why along with how. I've grown huge reaping from your hard work. Thank you, I agree with 2018. I made a pile of lemonade myself. Can't wait for the updates in '19! Your plans are amazing!

Thanks Lowded! I'm just happy to see so many people enjoying quadlining and trying it out! I really think 2019 will be my best year of growing yet. 2018 was full of change and experiments but I've got a solid path for 2019 and I think it will show in this journal.

Hi Ase,
just a quick Happy New Year to you, and thanks for all the help you provide to the community. Best wishes in 2019!
Hey Ase, just wanted to swing through and wish you a Happy New Years brother! Hope its a great one for ya!
Happy New Years guys! Going to be a great year!

Day 4 Flip

So far so good with multi-strain girls. Not a whole lot to report but I made sure to take a picture from the side this time to show the stretch phase. These girls have really been easy and I am grateful for that. They have pretty much completely filled the tent so looks like flipping them a few days early was no big deal. Lets just hope it continues!

The girls.
The beginning of stretch.

The Tangerine Dream is getting big. I am having to tie down almost all the arms coming off the 4 main lines. It might get a little crazy with the training of this one. I believe I have 18 ties on it already plus the 2 strings pulling 2 of the branches apart. I'm looking at flipping her in 4 or so weeks. If for some reason she grows like crazy maybe 3 weeks but likely flipping at the end of the month.

Tying down all the side arms.
You already know how she will look in 6 hours but here she is freshly stressed out!

I know in the upcoming updates there will be a lot of action so I'm sorry for the lack of action this time but I will enjoy the calm before the storm. Stretching will be starting in the next couple days and we will be able to see the bowl shape of the plant that the quadline creates!

Back
Top Bottom