Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

re: Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

Oh what the heck, I'll post the Nutrients article here to make it easier to find for ppls. I felt this was very informative on the types of nutrients and their individual characteristics that make them important to plant growth:

Plant Nutrients information from ncagr.gov

Plant Nutrients

Sixteen chemical elements are known to be important to a plant's growth and survival. The sixteen chemical elements are divided into two main groups: non-mineral and mineral.

Non-Mineral Nutrients
The Non-Mineral Nutrients are hydrogen (H), oxygen (O), & carbon (C).

These nutrients are found in the air and water.
In a process called photosynthesis, plants use energy from the sun to change carbon dioxide (CO2 - carbon and oxygen) and water (H2O- hydrogen and oxygen) into starches and sugars. These starches and sugars are the plant's food.

Photosynthesis means "making things with light".

Since plants get carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen from the air and water, there is little farmers and gardeners can do to control how much of these nutrients a plant can use.

Mineral Nutrients

The 13 mineral nutrients, which come from the soil, are dissolved in water and absorbed through a plant's roots. There are not always enough of these nutrients in the soil for a plant to grow healthy. This is why many farmers and gardeners use fertilizers to add the nutrients to the soil.
The mineral nutrients are divided into two groups:
macronutrients and micronutrients.

Macronutrients

Macronutrients can be broken into two more groups:
primary and secondary nutrients.
The primary nutrients are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K). These major nutrients usually are lacking from the soil first because plants use large amounts for their growth and survival.

The secondary nutrients are calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulfur (S). There are usually enough of these nutrients in the soil so fertilization is not always needed. Also, large amounts of Calcium and Magnesium are added when lime is applied to acidic soils. Sulfur is usually found in sufficient amounts from the slow decomposition of soil organic matter, an important reason for not throwing out grass clippings and leaves.

Micronutrients
Micronutrients are those elements essential for plant growth which are needed in only very small (micro) quantities . These elements are sometimes called minor elements or trace elements, but use of the term micronutrient is encouraged by the American Society of Agronomy and the Soil Science Society of America. The micronutrients are boron (B), copper (Cu), iron (Fe), chloride (Cl), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo) and zinc (Zn). Recycling organic matter such as grass clippings and tree leaves is an excellent way of providing micronutrients (as well as macronutrients) to growing plants.

Soil

In general, most plants grow by absorbing nutrients from the soil. Their ability to do this depends on the nature of the soil. Depending on its location, a soil contains some combination of sand, silt, clay, and organic matter. The makeup of a soil (soil texture) and its acidity (pH) determine the extent to which nutrients are available to plants.
Soil Texture (the amount of sand, silt, clay, and organic matter in the soil)

Soil texture affects how well nutrients and water are retained in the soil. Clays and organic soils hold nutrients and water much better than sandy soils. As water drains from sandy soils, it often carries nutrients along with it. This condition is called leaching. When nutrients leach into the soil, they are not available for plants to use.

An ideal soil contains equivalent portions of sand, silt, clay, and organic matter. Soils across North Carolina vary in their texture and nutrient content, which makes some soils more productive than others. Sometimes, the nutrients that plants need occur naturally in the soil. Othertimes, they must be added to the soil as lime or fertilizer.

Soil pH (a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of the soil)

Soil pH is one of the most important soil properties that affects the availability of nutrients.

Macronutrients tend to be less available in soils with low pH.

Micronutrients tend to be less available in soils with high pH.

Lime can be added to the soil to make it less sour (acid) and also supplies calcium and magnesium for plants to use. Lime also raises the pH to the desired range of 6.0 to 6.5.
In this pH range, nutrients are more readily available to plants, and microbial populations in the soil increase. Microbes convert nitrogen and sulfur to forms that plants can use. Lime also enhances the physical properties of the soil that promote water and air movement.

It is a good idea to have your soil tested. If you do, you will get a report that explains how much lime and fertilizer your crop needs.

Macronutrients

Nitrogen (N)
Nitrogen is a part of all living cells and is a necessary part of all proteins, enzymes and metabolic processes involved in the synthesis and transfer of energy.
Nitrogen is a part of chlorophyll, the green pigment of the plant that is responsible for photosynthesis.
Helps plants with rapid growth, increasing seed and fruit production and improving the quality of leaf and forage crops.
Nitrogen often comes from fertilizer application and from the air (legumes get their N from the atmosphere, water or rainfall contributes very little nitrogen)

Phosphorus (P)
Like nitrogen, phosphorus (P) is an essential part of the process of photosynthesis.
Involved in the formation of all oils, sugars, starches, etc.
Helps with the transformation of solar energy into chemical energy; proper plant maturation; withstanding stress.
Effects rapid growth.
Encourages blooming and root growth.
Phosphorus often comes from fertilizer, bone meal, and superphosphate.

Potassium (K)
Potassium is absorbed by plants in larger amounts than any other mineral element except nitrogen and, in some cases, calcium.
Helps in the building of protein, photosynthesis, fruit quality and reduction of diseases.
Potassium is supplied to plants by soil minerals, organic materials, and fertilizer.

Calcium (Ca)
Calcium, an essential part of plant cell wall structure, provides for normal transport and retention of other elements as well as strength in the plant. It is also thought to counteract the effect of alkali salts and organic acids within a plant.
Sources of calcium are dolomitic lime, gypsum, and superphosphate.

Magnesium (Mg)
Magnesium is part of the chlorophyll in all green plants and essential for photosynthesis. It also helps activate many plant enzymes needed for growth.
Soil minerals, organic material, fertilizers, and dolomitic limestone are sources of magnesium for plants.

Sulfur (S)
Essential plant food for production of protein.
Promotes activity and development of enzymes and vitamins.
Helps in chlorophyll formation.
Improves root growth and seed production.
Helps with vigorous plant growth and resistance to cold.
Sulfur may be supplied to the soil from rainwater. It is also added in some fertilizers as an impurity, especially the lower grade fertilizers. The use of gypsum also increases soil sulfur levels.

Micronutrients

Boron (B)
Helps in the use of nutrients and regulates other nutrients.
Aids production of sugar and carbohydrates.
Essential for seed and fruit development.
Sources of boron are organic matter and borax

Copper (Cu)
Important for reproductive growth.
Aids in root metabolism and helps in the utilization of proteins.

Chloride (Cl)
Aids plant metabolism.
Chloride is found in the soil.

Iron (Fe)
Essential for formation of chlorophyll.
Sources of iron are the soil, iron sulfate, iron chelate.

Manganese (Mn)
Functions with enzyme systems involved in breakdown of carbohydrates, and nitrogen metabolism.
Soil is a source of manganese.

Molybdenum (Mo)
Helps in the use of nitrogen
Soil is a source of molybdenum.

Zinc (Zn)
Essential for the transformation of carbohydrates.
Regulates consumption of sugars.
Part of the enzyme systems which regulate plant growth.
Sources of zinc are soil, zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, zinc chelate.

re: Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

D., can you pm PJs stuff too? I've heard it mentioned, but really never knew what was in it.

How bout' I just post er' up right here...:confused: I don't think PJ would care and he does it kinda for each individual using what you can get hold of and what not so there are several versions but this is the one I tried and it works extremely well...

Seedlings:
2 gallons Promix Hp
2 quarts Perlite
1 cup compost
1/4 cup Yum-Yum
3 TBSP step 1 Growology (bunch of mycro stuff)

Veg soil:
6 gallons Promix
1 Gallon Perlite
3 quarts worm castings
6 cups compost
3.5 cups Yum-Yum
1 cup Azomite
2 Tbsp Step 1 Growology

Flower soil:
15 Gallons Promix
3 Gallon Perlite
1 Gallon worm castings
3 quarts compost
2 quarts Yum-Yum
3 cups Azomite
1.5 cups bat guano

I know he also sent me a message after he sent this recipe that told me to add Rock Phosphate but I can't find where it says how much to add to what but I know I added some to the veg mix and bloom mix.... Broke Ass tried to get in touch and ask the amounts but to my knowledge has not been able to get in touch with PeeJay.... I will say other than the purple #1 and truly not the soils fault the 3 I grew in this soil got no nutes at all except the spray once a week for about 3 or 4 time of Ultra Snow Storm.:circle-of-love:

Just FYI... I have had a doobie of the Crazy Miss Hyde grown in the PJ organic soil mix hanging out of my mouth for the last 30 minutes after hitting it about 3 times and letting it go out...:tokin: the PJ organic soil mix works... extremely well IMO.....:circle-of-love:

Also I used Red Bud Farms compost and worm castings... it is absolutely amazing stuff... kind of pricey but not having to use any additional nutes makes it worth it.... I have a wuestion about the compost and warm castings too...:confused: I have gotten a small bag of each this year that will be plenty to mix up a batch but when I looked in the barn I realized I had a bunch of both left from last year when I made up the mix.... my question is will it still be as good as it was after being left in the barn all winter...:confused: or will it have gone flat in some way...:confused: I will mix up another batch with it if you guys think it will still be good and I actually have a Ph pen now so I don't mind using the Promix again... I only had my pH go off once and that was on the girls that are in veg now and when I potted them up from the seedling soil I put them in Fox Farms cause I still didn't have a pH pen..... but that was also soil I had mixed up last year so wondering if the mixed soil would have changed any over the winter being stored in the barn...:confused: Thanks for any help.....:circle-of-love:

I think I posted about organic commercial grows...somewhere. The growers I met only water, the soil is set up for the entire grow. They add a few secret amendments.
I'm going this route too. It's easy cheaper as ya mentioned.
That was my best run to date using PJ's Organic Soil Mix in NCG 3. Didn't have to feed nothing but water & Cal/Mag until the end. Different strains were asking for different elements late in Bloom.
The only reason I'm not using it now is I was talking to a guy I meet on my last visit at the Urban Garden Center and he said he's been using their LI Growers Mix with Growology and showed me some pics of his plants. Being I have the Growology nutes from the MOTM prizes why not try it. So far so good, That's what we're using in NCG 4.

Oh oh oh... I forgot this part too... You probably know but just in case... add 1-1.5 cups of water to the seedling mix, 1 quart of water to the veg mix, and 2.5 quarts of water to the bloom mix.... that's all I got...:blushsmile:.....:circle-of-love:

Hey Dennise, from what I've been told by nurseries and read online, the worm castings microbial life goes dormant. It reactivates when you start using it...in a sense.

That's all I know and how I came to know it. LOL

Anyone with different info, post away! Inquiring minds need ta knows. :)

Hey Dennise, from what I've been told by nurseries and read online, the worm castings microbial life goes dormant. It reactivates when you start using it...in a sense.

That's all I know and how I came to know it. LOL

Anyone with different info, post away! Inquiring minds need ta knows. :)

From what I read, the microbial life will go dormant in the worm castings. So no problem.
The microbial life in the Compost might die off or turn bad. We have good noses. If Compost smells toxic, send it to the compost heap. If not, should be good to use.
I would add some mycorrhizal fungi powder to roots or brew a batch of worm castings tea once when you plant.

To recapitulate, trust your instincts and follow your nose :)

Product Recall that can possibly affect you!

Due to the high volume of growers here who are using Dehumidifiers in their grows, I feel this is important to post for the members.
Shawnee came upon a Dehumidifier recall (hers is one of the recalled models) and posted the phone number to call to find out which ones are affected. These units are burning houses down.
There are numerous brand names affected, it would be wise for you who are using these appliances to check on your brand and model number. They were sold by GREE to many other major manufacturers.

Here's the phone number and the website address to check them:

866 853 2802

ProductEntry

Dang, this would have been an awesome question for The Reps are Right.....lol

I just ran into this comment online in an article of sorts and I'm wondering if the statement about decreasing the amount of light time on Auto plants will actually decrease your yield? What this person is suggesting is that leaving the lights on continuous will INCREASE yield on auto flowering cannabis plants.
Anybody know if this is true?

.....you can have light faced on it throughout its life with no problem at all, in fact the more it has light the more it would yield on its harvesting time.

Some strains really grow fast, and I mean really fast. And yes of course we have this auto flowering we do have questions about, do I still need to change the bulb when it reaches the flowering stage? Yes of course you need to change the bulb of your cannabis when it reaches the flowering stage, but you don’t need to lower the time it needs to have daylight or it may greatly decrease the amount of yield you would have on the end of the line.

Dang, this would have been an awesome question for The Reps are Right.....lol
A true 420 flashback!

I recently came across the same info on auto light schedules and posted a query for discussion on Macamoo's thread.
To me it makes sense yet I'd have to tweak it slightly and give a dark period for the first part of the plants life, mainly for early root development. Then the idea of 24/0 for the budding part makes sense :)

Those were fun times Cajun but the grow knowledge being shared in "The Reps Are Right" were priceless.

Those were fun times Cajun but the grow knowledge being shared in "The Reps Are Right" were priceless.

I'm still driving my green virtual Lamborghini.

Back
Top Bottom