Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Ok so just to clarify the 3rd round ammendment to recook one kits worth of soil should be roughly a pound and a half right? I jus wana make sure i get it right since 2nite is the night ill actually be recooking it.

Could be a mistake to drop in here... but i think the chart does exactly that. Doc’s optimum way of using the kit is to alternate drenches at the strengths listed on the bottle (as mls per gal of soil) and in the PDF instructions (as mls per gal of water), which booth work out about the same.

The instructions clearly say do not follow that ‘schedule’ on the calendar strictly in terms of timing, but to only water plants when ready/dry. The calendar just shows the structure.

Dugan feeds heavy and doesn’t really vary it (from what he says). Others feed lighter and vary it a lot depending on strain.

Alternating drenches is optimum way to do it. Others have experimented and developed differnt habits with it.

Your kind of asking - “what’s the best way to play a guitar?”

Exactly :thumb:

I hope you don’t think I’m being snippy - I don’t mean to be. I just think Doc and the other seasoned brixers do a fine job of saying to new growers - “here’s the basic and proven successful way of doing it (alternate drenches) so start there. And here’s all these variations that also work in subtly different ways, in different environments .”

I think just alternating drenches for a long time until you can actually start to see those subtle differences is what’s required - because otherwise we’d be blindly changing things without really knowing what we’re seeing or looking for etc.

Personally I read all the variations and nuanced approaches of growers and just file them away, for now, paying no attention to them in terms of it changing what I’m doing. I’m still trying to follow the basic structure and will keep doing that until I’m confident I have good reasons/instincts to make changes. I’m still learning to ‘read’ :D

I think the instructions do exactly what you’re asking for - they lay out the ‘best practice’ as far as Doc sees it at this time. Clearly YMMV :)
And this is exactly what I thought. But back a few pages, Duggan suggested losing the chart and that's why I said now I'm confused, because I'd been following that chart religiously. But I still say, at some point, there is a sweet spot. And anything over that, is a waste. I'll find the sweet spot, just gonna take some time. You've got the right attitude Amy, just file everything away, and make your decisions based on best info available. And being snippy is Ok lady !! Anyone who can build their own light, has my attention and respect !!
And I also want the best set of instructions for playing that guitar !! :passitleft::surf:

Ok so just to clarify the 3rd round ammendment to recook one kits worth of soil should be roughly a pound and a half right? I jus wana make sure i get it right since 2nite is the night ill actually be recooking it.
Yes, that is correct.
And this is exactly what I thought. But back a few pages, Duggan suggested losing the chart and that's why I said now I'm confused, because I'd been following that chart religiously. But I still say, at some point, there is a sweet spot. And anything over that, is a waste. I'll find the sweet spot, just gonna take some time. You've got the right attitude Amy, just file everything away, and make your decisions based on best info available. And being snippy is Ok lady !! Anyone who can build their own light, has my attention and respect !!
And I also want the best set of instructions for playing that guitar !! :passitleft::surf:
The chart is a guideline to get people through grows as they are learning. There is a sweet spot, but each plant has its own. They each require a bit of different attention to grow to their optimum, just like people. You'll learn the basics as you go and learn to recognize what little tweaks work better for your plants.

The beautiful thing about the kit is that it's very forgiving. Unless you really mess things up you're going to have at least decent plants when you finish. As you learn how your plants behave in your environment, you'll be able to fine tune things and produce outstanding product. One of the most important pieces to this that Doc stresses all the time is, dial in your environment. Nothing is more important to your plants health than having a comfortable environment to live in.

Yes, that is correct.

The chart is a guideline to get people through grows as they are learning. There is a sweet spot, but each plant has its own. They each require a bit of different attention to grow to their optimum, just like people. You'll learn the basics as you go and learn to recognize what little tweaks work better for your plants.

The beautiful thing about the kit is that it's very forgiving. Unless you really mess things up you're going to have at least decent plants when you finish. As you learn how your plants behave in your environment, you'll be able to fine tune things and produce outstanding product. One of the most important pieces to this that Doc stresses all the time is, dial in your environment. Nothing is more important to your plants health than having a comfortable environment to live in.

Awesome thanx for the clarification. An yea i cudnt agree more on that point lol. The environment is a major key factor in utilizing this kit to its fullest. It was the reason my first grow with the kit went kinda shity lol. But even tho my gorilla glue#4 auto that i tried went crispy that time it still was the best tasting bud i had that harvest lmao. That was the grow that i realized how stupid i had been in NOT getting up untill that point thinking it was to hard :rofl:. Man im so glad i decided to switch my garden to highbrix. Cause this is some amazing ass product u get from this kit.

Mornin to ya Blazin. Add around 600 grams of amendment. It's not quite the 1.5 pounds like i have been adding , but it goes along with how amendment and weights are dealt with now. BTW , all the advise u are getting is proper bud. cheers and enjoy your day .

Ok i think i had it weighed out to like 680 i believe an was jus getting ready to get stuff out to recook some soil lol. So thanx for letting me know duggs much appreciated brother. I jus started germing 2 white widow seeds. That i will be starting in docs kit soil. I think im ready to drop most of my strains an go for some new genetics. Ive been wanting to get some in house genetics but they are pretty pricey lol. So for now its seedsmans white widow then who knows maybe ill get lucky or jus go ahead n pull the trigger an get some ihg gear lol.

Say, it just occurred to me ...

If RH is 60% in the fridge ...

What is it when it warms to 70 degrees? :hmmmm:

How does that fit with the low n slow cure?

Ok looks like the best amount of plants for a 2x4x4 space will be 2...guess I would just have to stack another box on top to get me 4 strains per harvest.

@Doc Bud What would you suggest if I wanted to just use a kit between 4 plants, 2 each in its own raised bed 20”x40”x12”? What size pot should I veg in? Probably will be topping each plant for 16 to 32 colas depending on growth speed. I will keep them at 12 inches till flower.

Say, it just occurred to me ...

If RH is 60% in the fridge ...

What is it when it warms to 70 degrees? :hmmmm:

How does that fit with the low n slow cure?
It raises RH some after warming up, but while it is drying it is still cold and that is supposed to preserve turpines. It's still a juggle to get the right Rh for curing.

The idea isn't to produce a set of laws....the idea is to cultivate our natural "green thumbs" via observation and education.

Every garden and every strain is different....and experienced growers just "know" what to do based on pattern recognition, which is based on many hours of observation and experimentation.
Took me a little bit to really get down how my plants best thrive in the kit and even though it took a bit my plants are looking stellar! I feel lie for everyone there is a certain groove they get into after a while of using the kit and getting the feel of how the drenches really affect growth vs reproduction and when to use what when type stuff but once you get it down there’s no stopping anyone!

Good morning and great post Kid.... :high-five:

Hey duggs u mentioned that i shud use 600 grams of 3rd round ammendment to recook the soil. Now member this is the batch tht i was having issues with to much organic matter. So what shud i do for ewc i was thinking 10 pounds or shud i go less?

Hey duggs u mentioned that i shud use 600 grams of 3rd round ammendment to recook the soil. Now member this is the batch tht i was having issues with to much organic matter. So what shud i do for ewc i was thinking 10 pounds or shud i go less?
My 3rd round doesn’t get any EWC when cooking

My 3rd round doesn’t get any EWC when cooking

Maybe i miss wrote stuff but i meant this is used 2nd round soil that i need to recook an make 3rd round soil. An i got the bulk kit of 3rd round ammendment so i needed to know what the weight should be for a single kits worth for one and then wanted to figure out the ewc issue. Plus i was keeping in mind that my last batch i did with this same soil mixup. Doc said they looked like they had 2 much organic matter in the soil. So i figured a lower amount of ewc and then take out as much of the root mass as i could an any big wood chunks i found. Cause of using sunshine mix #4 soil it wasnt the best an had big chunks of wood mixxed up in it.

Mornin Blazin. Yes, 10 pounds for third cook is good. U can also add around ten gal's of fresh , new Pro Mix too. This will help buffer things somewat and take that 'fear' of too much organic matter away ok. Please note , as long as you are adding new amendment to the batch u don't have to worry about the fresh PM diluting things to much ok. Doing that really helps things i find. Cheers , hope this helps bud.

Back
Top Bottom