Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I added 5 gallons split between the two totes. Is the tarp method an effective way to do the mixing? I broke the bale down as much as I could and mixed it as well as I felt I could but like I said with no heat coming off of the soil and with it not digesting leaf matter I am unsure if it is active like it should be. Thank you for your response.

I've only done one run, but that sounds good to me. I never felt heat with mine but it did eat leaves. I bet you'll be fine with it.

I amended my soil for the first two runs and did not add any amendment for my third run. I think that was Doc's recommendation.

May I ask, how much amendment did you add to what volume of soil? My tent is running two different approaches and I only have room in there for one 7-10 gallon Kit soil. I have a 7 gallon I harvested that I need to do something with, but I wasn't sure what to do with that small amount of soil. Can you offer any advice? It's first run, minimal use soil. I stunted the occupant drastically, so the soil got the drenches, just not for very long.

I am still new to this but my first run soil barely had condensation and didn't do the fuzz when I put a leaf on it with roots after it cooked for 30 days. It ended up growing the healthiest plants I have ever grown.(so far) :thumb:

At the risk of leading people to overwater their soil - don't overwater the soil! - I've found that a little more is better. My soil works better when it leaves a thin film on my hand after I plunge it in and turn a deep clump. I use 15 and 27 gallon bins, so I dig down to the very bottom and pull up a handful - I get better digestion when it's good and moist down there. And warm, of course - heat is important - gotta be 75 or higher, really.

You might try adding Trans and Tea to the soil bins if they seem inactive. I've had to deal with low room temps and have gotten positive results that way - kinda like a jumpstart. I can't remember the dosage and don't feel safe posting a guess. :cheesygrinsmiley: I doubt that it was a full dose per gallon.

Hey Doc

You had asked before how my clones did coming from my bubble cloner. Here's four that'll go to flower in November. Not bad for a week in your dirt. Three Afghani females, one Holy Grail Kush.

I have six more, various strains that I made yesterday,, the best six overall will go to flower when that time comes.

20150823_161823.jpg

The mother that the Afghani's came from, been vegging since May,, I'll flower her soon....

20150823_110354.jpg

20150823_110401.jpg

I'm curious to hear more about the soil cycles discussion.

I just finished round 1. Doc sent me some amendment and told me to cook it for 2 weeks before using it for round 2.

At the risk of leading people to overwater their soil - don't overwater the soil! - I've found that a little more is better. My soil works better when it leaves a thin film on my hand after I plunge it in and turn a deep clump. I use 15 and 27 gallon bins, so I dig down to the very bottom and pull up a handful - I get better digestion when it's good and moist down there. And warm, of course - heat is important - gotta be 75 or higher, really.

You might try adding Trans and Tea to the soil bins if they seem inactive. I've had to deal with low room temps and have gotten positive results that way - kinda like a jumpstart. I can't remember the dosage and don't feel safe posting a guess. :cheesygrinsmiley: I doubt that it was a full dose per gallon.

This was incredibly helpful Graytail. Thank you for that.

I'm curious to hear more about the soil cycles discussion.

I just finished round 1. Doc sent me some amendment and told me to cook it for 2 weeks before using it for round 2.

This is precisely why we get so confused. Now, can someone give a definitive answer to the question? What precisely does one do with soil between the first and second run and between the second and third run? What, if anything, gets added, at what ratios, cooked, or uncooked, for how long?

My plan is to use it for three runs and start anew, but I gotta say guys, I feel like I'm spinning in the breeze here. Help me out please. I've got 7 gallons I need to do something with.

Between 1st and 2nd runs, I add leaf trim gathered from pruning, dust it with roots! powder and water it in with about a pint of leftover drench water (doesn't really seem to matter whether GE, trans for me anyway) or just a pint of RO. For the record, I don't add all my trim...only a few leaves here and there.

I have some 1st run, used soil. After roughly cutting in the leftover root ball, I added EWC (~2-3 lbs I had left), some roots powder and some water...not used it yet. Next run ;)

I was trying to give a simple answer, not create more confusion.

I didn't know what to do either, but if you managed to mix and cook round1, getting round2 ready involves the same steps:
-email Doc "I need shit!"
-follow instructions
-win

With 7 gallons Sue, you probably are gonna have to use the available info and wing it on your own, thats like a thimbleful (I'd throw like a healthy tablespoon of random ammendment from the bag, maybe a handful of EWC, water to the correct dampness and cook for 2 weeks).

Awesome Thanks Gray. This is exactly what I was looking to find out. Your grows are some of the ones I have been reading and you kill it with the kit. Its good to see all the replies and see that different people are doing things differently and still getting good results. It is also good to see that there is a little confusion around certain things and it is not just me. I had thought that I had read not to add amendment for the second run just root balls leaves ewc and Roots! and let recook.

Thank you all for the input, and if there's anyone else inclined, please chime in. Obviously I'm not the only one confused from time to time. Graytail, you make it look so easy, and I understand that with practice it becomes more instinctive, but this initial settling in stage is a bit cagey every now and then. I see I'm also not the only one trying to make my plants look like yours in this soil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thank you BrixKlinger for that more specific response. That was where I was headed instinctively, but hadn't quite gained the confidence to jump to. Looks like today's the day to mix and amend. I need more soil for that Carnival if I'm going for a bigger pot.

I was trying to give a simple answer, not create more confusion.

I didn't know what to do either, but if you managed to mix and cook round1, getting round2 ready involves the same steps:
-email Doc "I need shit!"
-follow instructions
-win

With 7 gallons Sue, you probably are gonna have to use the available info and wing it on your own, thats like a thimbleful (I'd throw like a healthy tablespoon of random ammendment from the bag, maybe a handful of EWC, water to the correct dampness and cook for 2 weeks).

The amendment is sized for 6 plants in 7 gallon pots, so 42 gallons. I just weighed my full bag and it's roughly 650 grams, so one 7 gallon pot would require 1/6 of the amendment = about 110 grams. For my 6 gallon pots, I divide the Recharge into 7 parts and put it in baggies - when I need to recharge, I open one and sprinkle it over the surface. The same thing can be done with the Amendment - mix 110 grams into 7 gallons of soil. If you cut it, be sure you have a good mix of powder and rocks. :slide:

The amendment is sized for 6 plants in 7 gallon pots, so 42 gallons. I just weighed my full bag and it's roughly 650 grams, so one 7 gallon pot would require 1/6 of the amendment = about 110 grams. For my 6 gallon pots, I divide the Recharge into 7 parts and put it in baggies - when I need to recharge, I open one and sprinkle it over the surface. The same thing can be done with the Amendment - mix 110 grams into 7 gallons of soil. If you cut it, be sure you have a good mix of powder and rocks. :slide:

If you were closer Graytail..... :hug: Thank you. Just exactly what I was looking for, and I can't believe something that basic didn't occur to me. I'll do that now.

I'm looking this over though and I'm wondering Graytail, do you add anything to your first run soil or do you just break it up and wet it down to let it sit and digest the roots? Am I making the question clear? Because the amendments are for first run and recharge is for after the flip. What I'm trying to find out is what specifically you do with the first run and second run pots after harvest.

We're in Doc's thread, and I've been posting an awful lot. :straightface: Let's let him give an official answer.

But I've done both ways - adding amendment to the recook and without - with no obvious difference. By the second recook though, more amendment is recommended.

Thanks Graytail, and we appreciate you jumping in for us.

I've decided this is an unusual first run batch of soil with extremely limited exposure to the drenches and foliars. I'm going to bust it up, mix it in with the remaining half of the soil I still need to mix and cook and let it all become one big batch.

Thanks everyone. I still don't feel like we came up with any definitive answers. That may be the norm for the Kit, I don't know. I know it's frustrating, but I'm gonna wing it.

I view the kit as a work in progress. It is still relatively new for cannabis. Since it is very forgiving, there is room to do things in different ways. The "best practices", as they are understood today, are in the instructions (although nothing about 2nd and 3rd run soils). Beyond that, things should evolve/change...for the better.

Adding to the official instructions for additional runs of the soil would be most excellent.

Sounds good to me Major! :thumb:

Duggan, since you're here, let me ask you. What precisely do you do with your own soil between the first and second runs and the second and third runs? Please share. We need to know this.

Great questions I was going to ask the same thing almost finished with one outdoor plant in 25 gal it's rocking the kit thanks for the answers gang

Back
Top Bottom