Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

This comment just blew my mind... :goodjob:

Really I asked the question because frankly i didn't know what "buds set" meant.

**Cat Drench: This is used right when buds set.

I don't think this is clear at all from my point of view.

And you're right - it isn't clear at all - it's a personal judgement. :cheesygrinsmiley: There's a stage in bloom when the buds have basically established their size. From there, they swell and grow some more, but there's a point where they're "set". If we give them a strong dose of fruiting nutrients, they'll put it all into those set buds at the expense of new growth - they'll swell. We trigger them to strongly fruit for a week or two, and then give them a good shot of fish guts to bring them back into growth mode.

It's, like, three weeks or so after it shows pistils, give or take ... subjectively. :cheesygrinsmiley:

And you're right - it isn't clear at all - it's a personal judgement. :cheesygrinsmiley: There's a stage in bloom when the buds have basically established their size. From there, they swell and grow some more, but there's a point where they're "set". If we give them a strong dose of fruiting nutrients, they'll put it all into those set buds at the expense of new growth - they'll swell. We trigger them to strongly fruit for a week or two, and then give them a good shot of fish guts to bring them back into growth mode.

It's, like, three weeks or so after it shows pistils, give or take ... subjectively. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thank you. I wanted to ask that question, no lie, cause I wasn't sure. I've heard the term I suppose, but wasn't clear still. Thank you

Thank you for this Graytail. I don't recall it being expressed this clearly before. I think I know just what point you speak of. I'll admit, it confused me as well.

Again, thanks for making that so clear. Whew! Sigh of relief. :high-five:

Gray explained it very well....bud set, that is. Some of the newer growers are not sure when this is...it's NOT when bloom starts....after about three to four weeks bud sites are very well established and look like buds if ya know what i mean.A few clusters at the sites near the beginning of bloom is NOT the time, wait till week three or four weeks when they look like buds not just a few clusters. Hope i've helped a little.

I realize this is a Q and A thread and new members are constantly cruising our area here looking for answers to questions that have been asked many ,many times in the past. It would really help if these newer growers would take some time and read, read, read. This is how to avoid asking so many q's. that could have just been talked about a few days or week ago. I sure hope i havn't pissed anybody off,....especially our newer members just looking for answers! Cheers Gang and have an awesome day.

Gray explained it very well....bud set, that is. Some of the newer growers are not sure when this is...it's NOT when bloom starts....after about three to four weeks bud sites are very well established and look like buds if ya know what i mean.A few clusters at the sites near the beginning of bloom is NOT the time, wait till week three or four weeks when they look like buds not just a few clusters. Hope i've helped a little.

I realize this is a Q and A thread and new members are constantly cruising our area here looking for answers to questions that have been asked many ,many times in the past. It would really help if these newer growers would take some time and read, read, read. This is how to avoid asking so many q's. that could have just been talked about a few days or week ago. I sure hope i havn't pissed anybody off,....especially our newer members just looking for answers! Cheers Gang and have an awesome day.

The bud set thing was the part I was most unsure of also. It would be super helpful if we compiled a FAQ page for common questions like this. It's true it's been asked many times but managing to find your exact question In 600 pages of a thread is not an easy task for most people :)

The bud set thing was the part I was most unsure of also. It would be super helpful if we compiled a FAQ page for common questions like this. It's true it's been asked many times but managing to find your exact question In 600 pages of a thread is not an easy task for most people :)

I totally gotcha Smokey! I know what ya mean too, about havin to look thru so much for the answer. When i arrived on scene here a few yrs, ago, i waited and learned from established growers like Doc, Curso, Tav, and them...and read alot of stuff from previous goings on,...then i came out and joined in a little at a time. Actually starting with Doc's 6/5/3 method after my supersoils were always giving me so much grief. Most answers can also be found by a simple search here on the mag. Your idea of an index for Q and A is an excellent idea Smokey....i like it, alot! Cheers eh! :thumb:

Since I have limited experience to base this on, I'm not sure if it is accurate, but...
I noticed my buds appear "set" at the same time the stretch is done. It seems like the plants are telling us, "I'm done with my veg. Now I'm flowering."

I have two pretty different strains going and one completely quit its vertical growth. The buds look ready for Cat with their next drench. The other strain is about a week behind. It is still growing, but not much at this point. Its buds need just a little longer before I let the Cat out of the bag. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Please let me know if you think this is incorrect or if you think my timing is off.

More Indica - should be ready for its first Cat drench in 3-4 days, or so.
20150822_095110.jpg

More Sativa - should be ready for Cat, but a few days behind the Indica.
20150822_112042.jpg

Major, IMO, i would wait another week for both! Not far along enough yet. Let them get some body...then give it too em! Cheers eh!

Thanks man!

duggan, I'll shoot another picture before I Cat. My next drench is about 4 days out. They've changed so much in the last week, I figured in 4 more days the Pitbull would be a lot more filled out. Stay tuned.
Oh... :passitleft: :thanks:

This is the type of invaluable consultation that takes us beyond other sites. I'll be watching for those pictures Major. What you're offering us is a rare view of "the moment" and I, for one, thank you.

This is the type of invaluable consultation that takes us beyond other sites. I'll be watching for those pictures Major. What you're offering us is a rare view of "the moment" and I, for one, thank you.

Thanks SS!
The reason I'm a little anxious to get them started on the Cat is these PB's are listed as an "extremely quick finish". They are listed as 6-7 weeks. I'm sure they will go longer since the action is just getting underway. Next week will be week 3, but there is no way these will finish in 4 more weeks. I think. :laughtwo:

I agree with Duggan. Remember some breeders play marketing games with finish times since there are a lot of people that look for the fastest finishing strain they can find. Kinda reminds me of the wattage ratings on cheap amplifiers :/

I like that cautious assurance Major. :laughtwo:

Hey Sue,

I was thinking about something we talked about a few days back about molasses and water. You said you use rain water? What about when you wash, do you use rain water and add molasses then the, "regular" ingredients?

Reason I ask is I have some plants I'm getting ready to wash and have been using RO water but I have collected a lot of rainwater lately, and could use the break from my RO system/water when washing.... Thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom