Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hey Velk,

Brix is a measurement of leaf juices that tells us the overall amount of sugars and minerals. We crush leaves, squeeze out the juice, and measure it with a Refractometer. Brix over 12 is "High" brix. The higher the brix, the healthier the plant and better the harvest.

We achieve high brix by a specially designed soil, mostly minerals and heavy on the calcium. Exact ratios of elements are critical. The soil is designed to be alive....but not just "alive" but hyperactive.

The roots in this type of soil have so much microbial activity that they can really feed the plant....and we spray the leaves of the plants in order to feed the soil.....and if the environment is good the plants can really sprint and produce some shockingly good cannabis.

In a nutshell:

Biologically active soil, major minerals in ratio, trace elements, plus soil energy (electrical) and we've got a High Brix soil.

And we get plants just like this:

Picture_011266.jpg
Picture_010286.jpg
Picture_008299.jpg

Thank you for the swift response doc bud that has explained it a bit better for me the only thing I don't get is you say that you spray the leafs to water the soil ? Do they not burn or anything ? Sorry for more questions I'm going to sit down and have good read now your plants look so so healthy doc !! Velk

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you for the swift response doc bud that has explained it a bit better for me the only thing I don't get is you say that you spray the leafs to water the soil ? Do they not burn or anything ? Sorry for more questions I'm going to sit down and have good read now your plants look so so healthy doc !! Velk

The foliars go through the leaves, down to the root zone and feed the microbes. The microbes eat, get happy and in turn, feed the roots. See where we're going with this Velk? Its just a big happy give and take going on down there in the dark lol

The foliars go through the leaves, down to the root zone and feed the microbes. The microbes eat, get happy and in turn, feed the roots. See where we're going with this Velk? Its just a big happy give and take going on down there in the dark lol

I agree on the dark part thank you for shining. A light I'm slowly understanding more and more thanks for taking time to reply buddy velk .

Dang, Doc; picture #1 just drew me in.....look at those trichomes on the underside of the leaf....a work of art and harmony in motion with the entire universe and environment....congrats to you for creating the perfect place to thrive...impressive as hell.....

High doc and friends. I'm trying to gather some information on running a SOG or a giant SCROG with 50+ plants or so from clones. That'll take care of quantity so I want to do it in HB soil to get the quality. Who here runs a SOG in HB soil...I'll be making an appearance in your journal. :thumb:

I haven't seen anyone run a SOG in hibrix - Ziggy probably came closest with his mini-pot Swick grow. Hibrix prefers lots o' soil though, so not much is gained by running a bunch of plants in smallish pots, Any SOG should be in 5+ gallon pots.

Scrog, however is easy. :cheesygrinsmiley: Grow 'em in bins, with their own individual screens. :thumb: Works really well. How much space will you have?

Our entire flower room... so roughly 8' x 9' of light coverage. I was thinking veg for a couple days to 4 weeks depending on if we went scrog or SOG. 5 gallon pots is what I was thinking as well.

You could run eight 25 gallon bins in that space and plan to harvest at least an ounce per sqft. Leaving an aisle down the middle, you'd have 40-50 sqft.

I've been thinking about a bloom from seed grow in small pots - 3 gallons - and grow them like a SOG, just straight up, clip off the laterals, etc. You'd have a plant that's not much bigger than the pots, so you could really pack 'em in. That sounds like what you're thinking. :hmmmm: I just hesitate to try such small pots. 5s would be better - less finicky.

You could run eight 25 gallon bins in that space and plan to harvest at least an ounce per sqft. Leaving an aisle down the middle, you'd have 40-50 sqft.

I've been thinking about a bloom from seed grow in small pots - 3 gallons - and grow them like a SOG, just straight up, clip off the laterals, etc. You'd have a plant that's not much bigger than the pots, so you could really pack 'em in. That sounds like what you're thinking. :hmmmm: I just hesitate to try such small pots. 5s would be better - less finicky.

Exactly what I was thinking. Time to get a hold of doc...we are going to need more supplies!

This would be nice to see, provided Brix in lower volume pots isn't a problem. Perhaps run a test plant, or row in a current setup.

Hey Doc and gang I have read a few write ups about GLR and started wondering if anyone has run any Hi Brix plants using it? From all I read it seemed that the thought process behind it seemed to line up with some of the Hi Brix philosophies.

- the purpose is to grow healthier plants..

- you focus on growing roots.

- you grow a plant whose veg cycle is geared towards a happy healthy flower cycle.

I am just looking for people's thoughts, opinions and experiences if they have them. Thanks.

Hey Doc and gang I have read a few write ups about GLR and started wondering if anyone has run any Hi Brix plants using it? From all I read it seemed that the thought process behind it seemed to line up with some of the Hi Brix philosophies.

- the purpose is to grow healthier plants..

- you focus on growing roots.

- you grow a plant whose veg cycle is geared towards a happy healthy flower cycle.

I am just looking for people's thoughts, opinions and experiences if they have them. Thanks.

Hey Yeti, my last 2 grows I used glr. Check em out and that should tell you a lot about how I feel about the subject bro :)

What about running multiple plants in large pots, like Duggan does?Gives a large total root space where they can intermingle.

Scoped out some 25 gallon totes today...I think we could get 6 per tote if we kept the veg short. That would be 48 plants in 4 "kits" worth if I did my math right.

I am currently trying a 2 gallon torture test with 7th run soil.:thedoubletake: watering a bit more often than I normally do in the 7's :morenutes:

Black Cream Auto is 8 weeks from seed pre trimmed for harvest soon. She is way blacker then the pics show.

MG29_BC_d59_a.jpg
MG29_BC_bd59.jpg

and the Northern Light is 1 week in flower, also 2 gal 7th run. The white topping is Growstone, supposed to deter the gnats, so far so good.

MG29_NL_dt52_t.jpg

LSTed her today
MG29_NL_dt52_td.jpg

Back
Top Bottom