HashGirl Implements A Perpetual Grow

OK but that still doesn't eliminate the spores floating in the air. If there are enough spores in the soil to affect the plant there will be spores in the air. How does a different grow system or style prevent that? Maybe I'm not understanding so you may need to break it down into simpler terms.

it eliminates a singular source. you are correct in it is primarily airborne. it lives on plant leaves, if none are available it will drop and lie dormant in soil until conditions are correct for it to emerge. a lot of organisms survive that way.

there would be no pm here in summer otherwise. it can't survive the winter temps unless it embeds and goes dormant. same with larger organisms outdoor like spider mites as well.

for pm ? neem might be a bit harsh for pm but it will work.
I've sprayed plants with neem as early as 3 weeks old and never seen any negative effects. I use it all the time in veg for bug and PM. Citric acid can damage leaves but I don't usually need it until the plant is older anyway, and it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.
we officially have no pm here then. we're at -55c or -67f with the current windchill. my car hasn't run in 3 days.
:eek:
oh for the dream
:)
actually the hole is ideally 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the bucket.
That's why I threw the "about" in there. ;) I couldn't remember and figured there was time to get the details sorted later!

I've sprayed plants with neem as early as 3 weeks old and never seen any negative effects.

neem always beats my plants up. wonder if i'm applying too thick.

I use it all the time in veg for bug and PM. Citric acid can damage leaves but I don't usually need it until the plant is older anyway, and it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

the citric acid sprays i make are usually a bit easier on the plant than the neem application.

That's why I threw the "about" in there. ;) I couldn't remember and figured there was time to get the details sorted later!

truthfully it's supposed to be placed at 25% of the bucket size, no matter the bucket. most buckets from 2L up to the 5gal size just kinda work out at the 2 1/2 inch mark. if under 2L or using solos 1 inch actually works out better to the 25% res mark.

if you get into anything bigger than 20L / 5gal it's best to figure where the 25% sits.

@HashGirl, I may have mentioned this before...

The cost of ~5 gallons of ProMix HP is ~$5, the cost of perlite for a 5 gallon hempy bucket is ~ $15.

Not that big a deal.

The only real difference I found growing between the SIP and the hempy bucket was the lack of a visual indicator for the level of the reservoir.

Not a big deal either. Simply stick a wood skewer in to find the level OR water to run off, which I do every day anyway.

And install a short length of hose to make it easier to collect the run off !

Day 49 Drain to waste 10 Sept 2023.jpg

Cheers

The cost of ~5 gallons of ProMix HP is ~$5, the cost of perlite for a 5 gallon hempy bucket is ~ $15.
i buy my perlite in bagged bales. 120L bale is a little under $60 cdn. most bales last 2 - 2 1/2 yrs if growing perpetual. you can re-use the perlite and keep it going much longer as well.

i buy my perlite in bagged bales. 120L bale is a little under $60 cdn. most bales last 2 - 2 1/2 yrs if growing perpetual. you can re-use the perlite and keep it going much longer as well.
Shopping around helps but even buying in small quantities the cost difference shouldn't be much of a factor in deciding between soilless/ProMix HP/SIP or hempy bucket/perlite.

Both grow nice plants !

Cheers, eh ?

Shopping around helps but even buying in small quantities the cost difference shouldn't be much of a factor in deciding between soilless/ProMix HP/SIP or hempy bucket/perlite.

hempy is by far the cheapest and easiest to set up. it's harder getting the grow established in the media than the others.

The guy who got me into using canola had said it's fine to use until 2 week prior to harvest.
But I know we're all a little hesitant to spray anything in flower.
Not sure about the pistils. I'd suspect the oil might melt the trichomes a bit.
Personally, I would use it as a preventative and spray plants in veg.
I think the commercial product I was using suggested doing so. Miticide, Fungicide and Insecticide.
But short answer... I've only ever used it in veg and can only confirm it works great against mites.

Know you've had this problem a while now HG. Hope it helps.

Not having done it I'd say the easiest hydro is hempy. Perlite in a bucket with a hole about an inch from the bottom. Same nutes as you're using now except ideally you check the pH. @bluter and @PGA Caddie grow that way.

Does your CIL count coco as hydro? It is technically though it might not offer the same anti-PM qualities.

He does count coco as hydro as there's no dirt involved.

a lactic acid (milk / water) or citric acid (lemon juice / water) misting spray will do it. misting then wiping down plants with larger leaves is even better.
I've been alternating between a citric acid spray and a potassium bicarbonate spray that @Melville Hobbes recommended.
passive or active hydro ?

passive hydro can be easy but can tie you to the grow. active hydro can be a steeper learning curve at first and requires more gear / investment.

I'm leaning towards hempy growing. I need a redo of a hempy grow since my very first grow was hempy and from 2 auto plants, I got a total of 8 grams.
if you like the way you grow now then look to environment control first to eliminate it.

I've been trying to control my environment since January 2023.

@HashGirl, I may have mentioned this before...

Not that big a deal.

The only real difference I found growing between the SIP and the hempy bucket was the lack of a visual indicator for the level of the reservoir.

Not a big deal either. Simply stick a wood skewer in to find the level OR water to run off, which I do every day anyway.

And install a short length of hose to make it easier to collect the run off !

Cheers

Thanks, Chuck. Since SIPs still include dirt, I'm leaning towards a hempy grow.

*** NBA DIESEL (Nia) UPDATE ***

Good afternoon.

The last time I reported on Nia was November 20. Like her sister, she has the double bud thing happening, too. Nia was treated for PM twice during this time period. Here is her info and pics:

420 Update for Nia - November 21, 2023 to January 22, 2024.jpg

Nia - Day 13F:

Nia - Day 27F:

Nia - Day 33F:

Nia - Day 38F:

Nia - Day 63F (you can tell when I was sick):

Thanks for following along. Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

*** PINEAPPLE EXPRESS (POPPY) - UPDATE ***

Good afternoon.

The last time I reported on Poppy was on December 30. Her leaves, along with Lana and Lola's leaves, started yellowing so I bumped the MC up to 5g/gal. Poppy is now 23 days into flower and minus the discoloured leaves, I think she's a really pretty girl. She's grown 4 inches taller since flipping to 12/12. Here is her info and current pics:

420 Update for Poppy - December 31, 2023 to January 23, 2024.jpg

Poppy - Day 24F:

Thanks for following along. Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

*** KALI'S MISTERY UPDATE ***

Good afternoon.

The last time I reported on Kali was on January 14. When I fed Kali today, I took some trichome shots and I think she's ready to be harvested. What do you think? If possible, I'd like to harvest Kali, Natasha and Nia sometime in the next 1.5 weeks as I'm going to Cuba for a week on February 4. That would leave just 3 plants for Felonious to take care of so hopefully, they'll look better when I get back on February 11. I'm planning on feeding them all before I go so he'll only have to feed them once.

420 Update for Kali -  January 14 to 24, 2024.jpg

Kali - Day 63F:

Kali - Day 71F:

Trichomes on Day 71F:

Back
Top Bottom