InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Okay, here's a Thursday update (in addition to the earlier posts here and here in case you missed them)!

Left out of yesterday's garden tour were the Candidas, so here they were before they made the trip outside this morning:

On the left is the recently upcanned one, and on the right is the mother plant.

And look what decided to perk up this morning...Doug's Varin on day 17!

Side:

Oblique:

SaugaView®:

And a shot of the roots, because we love roots:

The other side doesn't have as many, but why would I take a pic of that?

Thanks for stopping by (thrice today!) and stay safe out there.

:Namaste:

Part A: 1g Silver Nitrate in 1000 ml of water (.1% solution)
Part B: 5g Sodium Thiosulfate in 1000ml water (.5% solution)
Mix part A into Part B.
Add 2000ml water, which cuts it by 50%.
Add 6-12 drops of dish soap from the container.
Start applying 3 days before flip, and continue every 3 days.
Definitely a recipe I’m gonna keep. Thanks Shed

All your plants are looking great! I especially love the Jack Herer - great shape and color (except for those dry leaves on the bottom). :thumb:
I hope I get roots on at least one of the clones I took so I can start the process again.
If this doesn't work (I had nanners as early as 22 days on the Candida this spring) then I'll mix a fresh stronger batch and try again eventually with new clones.
Well next time I try this (on the eventual Sour G clones) I'm going to mix up a stronger batch with the A and B I have left.
A lesser man (me) would have given up by now. Kudos.

Both of these will get a post-stretch measuring and clean-up this weekend.
My Excel sheet is ready for you! :slide:

And look what decided to perk up this morning...Doug's Varin on day 17!
Way to go Dougie! :cheer:

Those are looking great!
Thanks BigD!
Probably wanted to see the eclipse.
I missed it, but it stays up all night so that must be the reason. :)
:thumb:
All your plants are looking great! I especially love the Jack Herer - great shape and color (except for those dry leaves on the bottom).
I considered taking off those leaves for the pic but reconsidered. Warts and all. ;)

Pretty sure they're leftover from my bit-too-late bump to 5g equivalent. 5.5 is coming soon!
A lesser man (me) would have given up by now. Kudos.
If this were just to see if I could do it I definitely would have given up by now. The fact that neither Candida nor Sour G seeds are available any more added much more gravitas to this quest.
My Excel sheet is ready for you!
:love:
Way to go Dougie!
I know right? Looked happy this morning as well...two days running!

I went back and looked at all the pics from the last 3 days, things all seem to be shaping up very well over here- too bad about the STS not working, but I'm confident that with your sticktoitiveness it will work eventually.
And a shot of the roots, because we love roots:
Damn, she's a rooty little thing, she'll need a bigger house real soon!

I went back and looked at all the pics from the last 3 days, things all seem to be shaping up very well over here- too bad about the STS not working, but I'm confident that with your sticktoitiveness it will work eventually.
As long as I can get a Sour G cutting to finally root, I'll start the whole process over again when it's big enough and use a stronger solution. Something has to work!
Damn, she's a rooty little thing, she'll need a bigger house real soon!
Thanks Carcass! I try to hold back on upcanning until they need water nearly every day. Not there yet, but then the sun's not out much either these days... :hmmmm:

CS and STS are both used to make feminized seed. the dilutions and applications are a little different though. one can be caustic at higher strengths. think it's the CS, but it's usually sold in diluted form and diluted further for application.

STS usually requires fewer applications.

The time is out of joint (oh curs'ed spite) at my house, so no pics today. Everything got watered except the Bedroom Cookies because it gets 2 gallons at a time. But I think it's time for the Skin Salve Update!

Let me start by telling you about the two different types of topicals I make.

The first is my pain oil. It's made from actual dried bud, as I want the oil to be at least 15mg THC/ml oil. That's the number I have found to be the minimum for pain relief. I make it with a 50/50 blend of grapeseed and pumpkin seed oils, and it's done in the MB machine since it's easy to fit the decarbed bud and oil in there as the machine grinds it for you as it goes. The resulting oil goes in a bottle in my nightstand, small roller bottles for pocket/purse/desk, and the rest goes in the fridge. I'm sure you've seen tutorials on that, but if not I can point you to a few.

The second is what I call my skin salve. It is not high in THC because it's made from the rest of the plant after drying. @SweetSue found information in Roger Pertwee’s Handbook of Cannabis that quoted historical documents where the hemp plant in oil is recommended for burns.

Before I even read that, I had made some a few years ago with the roots, and I found it excellent for hives, itching, bites, and abrasions. This time I decided to save every bit of the plants I was taking down, let them dry, and make a big batch in a crock pot.

As I harvested the plant I would cut the stems into about 1" pieces and leave them in a bucket to dry. I also rinsed the roots, let them dry, and cut them with a scissors into the bucket. I also dried the fans and put them in the bucket after they were dry (to keep them from molding).

I ended up with two boxes that looked like this:

That was way more than would fit in the 5qt crockpot, so I have loads left over for the next batch:

I had three 14oz bottles of organic unrefined coconut oil that I put in the microwave to liquefy, so I could pour it in the pot:

It did not come close to covering the material!

So I went back to the store and bought another 3 jars, liquefied them, and added that to the mix. That's 84 liquid ounces of coconut oil:

You can see that the plant material is not completely covered, but every bit is touching oil.

I put the crockpot on low cook, as I wanted it to be around 180º. It was never exact so sometimes I would turn it up and when it started to bubble I would turn it down again. Whenever I walked past I would take a slotted spoon and mix it up and push it back under the oil.

After 48 hours, the oil had been absorbed into all the material, so it now looked like this:

I continued the infusion process for 4 days to make sure that all the goodness from inside the stems and roots had a chance to get into the oil. Drying the stems eliminates all the water from the material but also makes it take longer to re-oildrate them.

At the end of the process, I used a straining spoon and removed most of the plant from the crock pot.

And put it in a metal pot:

I poured the crock pot oil into another pot and used a strainer to catch what the straining spoon did not. Then I scooped out the plant material and pressed it into the strainer to get out what I could.

I tossed out the leftover plant material and it was time to add the beeswax. I went with beeswax over soy wax because beeswax is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, which is a good thing to have in a skin salve!

Beeswax is harder to clean up, so I created a throw-away double boiler out of tin foil:

And I did all my mixing of oil and beeswax in large pyrex measuring cups because I find them easier to clean than metal pots.

Figuring out how many grams of beeswax to use per cup of oil took a long time, but here is my final recipe. I ended up with 25g beeswax/cup of oil, but I might go with 30g/cup for slightly stiffer product at room temperatures.

I had ordered what I thought were push-up dispensers from Amazon, but they turned out to be twist up like deodorant and much bigger than I thought. Still, they work fine:

I filled 12 of them and still had a jar and a half left over. I left them to cool on the counter over night and put them in the fridge in the morning. They're okay on the counter but don't leave them in a hot car or leaning on their side in warm weather. Even beeswax will melt as the temps rise. And for longer term storage, the fridge is best as coconut oil won't keep forever with all that organic material in it.

Oh, and it works. I got bitten by a mosquito last night right between my first and middle finger and it was driving me nuts. I rubbed this on and it didn't itch again until after my shower this morning!

I hope this helps :).
THANK YOU. And thanks for the easy link!!! I'm going to do this. I get burned all the time on my legs from hot coffee and soup and stuff. Since I only feel the outside of my legs about half what you do, sometimes I am getting burned and I don't feel it right away till it's too late, then suddenly I have a minor burn that takes a long time to heal. It sounds like this might really help with that. I also have some people I care about who would benefit greatly from the stronger recipe. Awesome. Great photo tutorial too. Superior work product, this post.

Monday update for all you patient people! I apologize for my complete absence this weekend...car trouble and zero time in front of a computer kept me away. And since I'm off work this week my time here will continue to be sporadic. My company makes vacation time use-it-or-lose-it now so I'm just hanging out at home this week, which turned out to be a good thing with the car trouble!

I did not have a chance to do any post-stretch thinning, but I did get measurements for @BeezLuiz' spreadsheet.

Jack Herer comes in at 38":

Rangy Sour G is 37.5":

The JH was 36.5" tall and the Sour G was 33" so not much stretch, but I'll let BL do the math here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

In other news, the Doug's Varin is about ready for transplant. It's thirsty almost every day, but for some reason it droops when I water it.

Either way, here it is on day 21:

I hope your weekend went well and your Thanksgiving is shaping up nicely (for those stateside)! I'll do the best I can to catch up on what you're up to.
:Namaste:

Quotes:
Buds are coming along nicely
Thanks sb!
I’ve been a little oblique the last few days myself. looking great Shed.
I hope you're feeling better after a few days of cooking. Thanks Nev!
That Doug’s Varin looks interesting. I followed the link. I’d never heard of THCV!
Me neither, but now we all do. :)
Candidas looking super! And Doug's on her way!
Thank you Otter! Doug is moving right along...:slide:
CS and STS are both used to make feminized seed. the dilutions and applications are a little different though. one can be caustic at higher strengths. think it's the CS, but it's usually sold in diluted form and diluted further for application.
STS usually requires fewer applications.
Thanks bluter!
Pumpkin Pi!
:laugh:
THANK YOU. And thanks for the easy link!!! I'm going to do this. I get burned all the time on my legs from hot coffee and soup and stuff. Since I only feel the outside of my legs about half what you do, sometimes I am getting burned and I don't feel it right away till it's too late, then suddenly I have a minor burn that takes a long time to heal. It sounds like this might really help with that. I also have some people I care about who would benefit greatly from the stronger recipe. Awesome. Great photo tutorial too. Superior work product, this post.
So glad I can help folks out with the salve recipe. I feel like hardly anyone bothers to make it, but we use it all the time!

Back
Top Bottom