Light Addict Tries To Get Grafting - Target Of One Mom With 15 Strains!

Hey Canna :)
Well the graft that I trimmed back and hoped the nodal growth might take, actually looked better today! So we may have a success, although a little early to say for certain! ;)
As for MOTM lol I'm not even fussed, i don't think I'v got a hope in hell and I'm fine with that ;) I don't get around on here's like I used to and refuse to go hunting votes with pointless input :) to be honest I'm far happier not being in the running ;)
I'll just plod on as ever ;)

Well the graft that I trimmed back and hoped the nodal growth might take, actually looked better today! So we may have a success, although a little early to say for certain! ;)
As for MOTM lol I'm not even fussed, i don't think I'v got a hope in hell and I'm fine with that ;) I don't get around on here's like I used to and refuse to go hunting votes with pointless input :) to be honest I'm far happier not being in the running ;)

Woo Hoo, happy to read you may have success! You are leading the way for others to try this, thank you. :)

I don't even know what all the huff is about... I've already nominateed and you have won the "Member of the Mellinieum" so there is no higher award than that... And the prize you won...:jawdropper:... How could a bunch of stupid lights beat my undying love :love:.....:circle-of-love:

OK to my thinking it shouldn't matter that much in principal. Yet your having to take into consideration the width of graft points for the surface area of the graft.
I'm now a firm believer already in grafting with a minute donor portion that includes a node. This as with my possible success, seems to give the best chance with minimum foliage to transpire etc.
If your going for ease then I'd say with my own way of thinking mature plants would be easier :)

Just my ponderings lol as said I've done no research on purpose ;)

Wondering, how mature do the plants need to be before attempting a graft? :confused:

Actually they can be quite young. At least..and again I am talking about tomatoes here.... and really they should react about the same to grafting. The top graft tomatoes onto rootstocks at 4-6 weeks or so. Now they are grafting an entire new top onto a single rootstock. patience wins out here and L.A. has that in spades! Best of luck in all you grow!

OK to my thinking it shouldn't matter that much in principal. Yet your having to take into consideration the width of graft points for the surface area of the graft.
I'm now a firm believer already in grafting with a minute donor portion that includes a node. This as with my possible success, seems to give the best chance with minimum foliage to transpire etc.
If your going for ease then I'd say with my own way of thinking mature plants would be easier :)

Just my ponderings lol as said I've done no research on purpose ;)

I have been pondering the size of the graft points if doing it along a branch or stalk. So thanks, I can't wait to see the pics on what you have currently. Thank you :)

Actually they can be quite young. At least..and again I am talking about tomatoes here.... and really they should react about the same to grafting. The top graft tomatoes onto rootstocks at 4-6 weeks or so. Now they are grafting an entire new top onto a single rootstock. patience wins out here and L.A. has that in spades! Best of luck in all you grow!

Thanks! I keep picturing grafting one onto the very top of the plant where we would normally do a topping. I'm going to give this an attempt once the Hemp plants are big enough for a topping. Maybe hold it place by taping a wooden skewer the full length of the stem and grafted piece. Maybe.....I think.....I'm still rolling that around in my head. LOL I have 8 of them to play with at the moment.

Thanks everyone!

OK so it looks like my first proper attempt may shave indeed taken! I've still got it in a plastic bag and haven't removed the bindings as its to early and I don't want to undo or bugger up this attempt!
So yep my full donor cut wilted, so noticing the node right near the graft I thought what the hell and cut it back for less foliage to dehydrate :) with the thin limbs I didn't expect much success, yet the minimal foliage and the will of the new nodal growth seems to have won out!
IMG_20160229_132935.jpg
IMG_20160229_132835.jpg
IMG_20160229_132927.jpg
IMG_20160229_132838.jpg

Thanks for the thread, LA! And to everyone chipping in with info and experience.

I am currently growing one clone strain only, but in the interests of stealth my plants have to be moved around and sometimes they're stressed as a result.
One of my plants went hermaphrodite so I harvested some pollen for pollination- but that's another story for perhaps not this thread. (Plan to pollinate a female for seeds that are all feminine and 100% equivalent to my clone strain...handy way of preserving a clone strain without keeping a mother alive).

I find it hard to kill plants, so after cutting off all the hermie's branches, I was sitting looking at this strong and well-formed stem sticking out of the pot and I just couldn't bring myself to destroy it. As it happened, I had a glass full of woodier (not tip) cuttings which I'm experimenting with and the idea of grafting hit me- if grafting works on other plants, why not cannabis? And here I have a strong, and fully formed root structure, so theoretically the plant can immediately put all its energy into the green bits above ground.

So, a V-cut in the top of the stem, a corresponding V point cut to one of the a.m. woody cuttings (about 8 inches long), inserted snugly and taped closed with a plastic bag over the lot for humidity 'til it takes. 24 hours on and the leaves on the cutting all still look perky.

This morning- more thoughts (ain't smoking in the morning grand!) and I found this thread.
Very cool!
I am now inspired and will attempt to "Christmas tree" this rootstock with more cuttings.

Toke
:volcano-smiley:

Cheers for the info :) I thought of wax and all sorts for binding/sealing and have arrived at plumbers tape, the really thin white stuff for fittings etc. Should be ideal in my eye! :)

PTFE thread tape- what a great idea! Since the tape is so thin and elastic, it can be wound really snugly. Nice one. I'll be switching.

LA, I have another attempt going. It is starting to droop, but from what I can see yours drooped a bit too and recovered a bit?
I had a humidity bag over it, but took it off because the drooping started while it was in the bag. We'll see how it does without it for awhile.

I'm hoping for the best. Yours sounds like it will make it.

Any updates today on how it looks? I've read it can take anywhere from 5 days to two weeks for the fusing to happen. Don't know how true that is....
The attempt I did yesterday was a fail, and the host plant (Scion?) has already repaired itself. LOL

:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom