My First Time Growing

I tried to post this pic in the last post but it wouldn't let me for some reason. Here is the entire area I'm referring to.

IMG_20160317_115334.jpg

I know this an older post, but one thing I found that helped me during my bad watering habit days. Is I took a thin long, but sturdy straight wire. And wrapped that thick cardboard like hobby paper around it as tight as I could and taped it. Stuck the aperatis in my buckets all the way to the bottom, left it an hour. Came back, pulled it out and there go, the paper shows you almost exactly where the water line is in a 5 gal. Bucket. Now I use a cheap moisture meter, when it reads zero from the top to the bottom of the bucket, tip your bucket to double check for weight. And it's time to water, these things here and miss emilya's advice saved my first grow. And set me up right on my second grow. Really cool journal here, not made it all the way through yet but I will. There is great info here for noobs like myself. Thanks guys

For an LED like that (the best deal right now on LEDs in my opinion), you will want 12-15" between the light and the top of the plants. I would get one while they still have them but I would add it to the flower tent and keep using CFL in that smaller space. What is the area you have in flower and what is the light in there now?

For the Rockwool clone you will actually see roots come out of the bottom of the rockwool when the clone has successfully rooted. Just keep at it and it will happen.

I forgot to post the pic of the clone until now, I do have a couple questions. Should it look like this and how do you know when it's ready to be put into soil? I have been re-soaking the rock wool cube in the clone water every other day to keep it wet since now it has air circulating somewhat with the opening made by placing a bigger tray over the smaller one on rods to keep it covered.

IMG_20160319_154719.jpg
This is day 4 now I believe. BTW, I have been saving up to get a small Mars light for the bookcase bottom. If someone doesn't mind letting me know if you think this light will work in the bookcase bottom. The Bookcase dimensions are 1' deep 29 "wide and 39" high. Here is a link to the light I'm thinking about ( I have been saving money like crazy and the wife said we have enough to make up the difference if we have too). I'm hoping to find a used version of the same light. But want to know if you guys think it would work in a space that sized, for vegging only.
to see the entire bottom of the bookcase, I posted it in the next post because it wouldn't let me insert it here when I tried it by editing my post.

Mars Hydro 3 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light 14W True Watt for Indoor VEG Flower | eBay

Thank you!

What are you trying to do in the bookcase bottom, veg or flower?

I ask because you already have a some good CFL for vegging. (How many watts are those bulbs? I remember they are oversize.)

Others may argue, but I think CFL is better for vegging than LED. LED can fry plants from 18" inches away. CFL won't fry plants until the leaves touch the lights.

Unless you have a new plan, I would not spend my money on LEDs for a veg area.

and of course you know I am going to disagree...:) I put my babies under LEDs after 3 or 4 days popped in soil.... I put them about 4' away for the first few day then move them up gradually... IMO I get less stretch and my nodes are much tighter than under CFLs... it basically boils down to preferrence Smoke... We all do little things like this differently and we find what we are comfortable with and works best for us...:circle-of-love:

For an LED like that (the best deal right now on LEDs in my opinion), you will want 12-15" between the light and the top of the plants. I would get one while they still have them but I would add it to the flower tent and keep using CFL in that smaller space. What is the area you have in flower and what is the light in there now?

For the Rockwool clone you will actually see roots come out of the bottom of the rockwool when the clone has successfully rooted. Just keep at it and it will happen.

In the tent is a Mars Hydro 144 x 5w. It is very bright and is doing a great job! Thank you for the info on the clone also, I just was wondering. I forget to say, the size of my flower area is 4'W x 2'D x 60"H, not a large area and the Mars 144x5w seems to cover all of it. It's at it's highest now (that I can get it) and some of my buds are only 4-5" below it, I have been bending them down to lower them and I guess I need to do some more bending later today. I had only been bending them when they got taller than the light. I won't be able to get 12 -15" between them, but I can lower them some.

What are you trying to do in the bookcase bottom, veg or flower?

I ask because you already have a some good CFL for vegging. (How many watts are those bulbs? I remember they are oversize.)

Others may argue, but I think CFL is better for vegging than LED. LED can fry plants from 18" inches away. CFL won't fry plants until the leaves touch the lights.

Unless you have a new plan, I would not spend my money on LEDs for a veg area.

I am just vegging in the bookcase (upper and lower) upper is for seedlings and 1 gallon pots and the bottom is (right now) just 1 3 gallon pot and 1 clone. I have just heard so many people tell me the CFL's are no good, thats why I was thinking about replacing them. You can see the CFL (I'm using 2) at this link:

Amazon: Hydroponic Full Spectrum CFL Grow Light Bulb 6 Watt Bulb 55K H6

1666763410976.png

I was told by PJ they would be good for vegging like you are saying. I would prefer to NOT buy the LED light I mentioned and keep saving for other stuff if the CFL's will work in your opinion Radogast. The plant in there is growing nicely now.

Thank You!

and of course you know I am going to disagree...:) I put my babies under LEDs after 3 or 4 days popped in soil.... I put them about 4' away for the first few day then move them up gradually... IMO I get less stretch and my nodes are much tighter than under CFLs... it basically boils down to preferrence Smoke... We all do little things like this differently and we find what we are comfortable with and works best for us...:circle-of-love:

All my small plants go under 2 LED panels that I had bought when I was first saving for my grow, They stay (so far) there until I transplant them into a 3 gallon (my biggest) pot (recommended by PJ) and then I can fit 2 in the bottom under the CFL's. I posted the link to see the CFL's just before this post I believe. They are over sized and work very well so far. But as always, I welcome your opinion and appreciate it!

They are probably a little under powered, but PJ said they should work good enough to get things going since I have 2 in there. I had bought most of my stuff before ever hearing of :420: and made my decisions just by what I read in an E-Book I have about growing MJ. It was way before I ever met all of you wonderful people and knew where to ask questions.

Thanks!

All my small plants go under 2 LED panels that I had bought when I was first saving for my grow, They stay (so far) there until I transplant them into a 3 gallon (my biggest) pot (recommended by PJ) and then I can fit 2 in the bottom under the CFL's. I posted the link to see the CFL's just before this post I believe. They are over sized and work very well so far. But as always, I welcome your opinion and appreciate it!

They are probably a little under powered, but PJ said they should work good enough to get things going since I have 2 in there. I had bought most of my stuff before ever hearing of :420: and made my decisions just by what I read in an E-Book I have about growing MJ. It was way before I ever met all f you wonderful people and knew where to ask questions.

Thanks!

2 - 225 x 0.2w LED panels for 12x29" early veg area
2 - 60W oversized CFL bulbs for 12"x29" late veg area
1 - 144 x 5W Mars Hydro LED for 24"x48" flower tent

Sounds like damn good lighting. For now, I wouldn't buy more lights.

If I were to add anything it might be some normal sized 5000K or 6500K CFLs in late veg (bottom of cabinet). These cuold provide supplemental light placed at different angles that the main CFLs. Maybe cords plugged into the power strips suspended from cup hooks. - Not saying this is neccesary, but the only weakness I see in the lighting is that you only have 2 point sources in late veg as opposed to the flat panel light sources in early veg (top of cabinet) and flower (tent.)

Hey smoke I know this was a long time ago but do you still have your soil recipe? Just tried looking for it thru about 15 pages can't seem to find it.

Good morning Truckin', I sent the recipe to you in a PM so you can print it up easier. As soon as I find, I will send you the recipe for the seedling mix I also got from PJ.

2 - 225 x 0.2w LED panels for 12x29" early veg area
2 - 60W oversized CFL bulbs for 12"x29" late veg area
1 - 144 x 5W Mars Hydro LED for 24"x48" flower tent

Sounds like damn good lighting. For now, I wouldn't buy more lights.

If I were to add anything it might be some normal sized 5000K or 6500K CFLs in late veg (bottom of cabinet). These cuold provide supplemental light placed at different angles that the main CFLs. Maybe cords plugged into the power strips suspended from cup hooks. - Not saying this is neccesary, but the only weakness I see in the lighting is that you only have 2 point sources in late veg as opposed to the flat panel light sources in early veg (top of cabinet) and flower (tent.)

Will do Rad, Thank you for the idea. Much easier and cheaper than the Mars. As soon a I can get to Home Depot, I'll get some of those.

Just for kicks, I was able to finally get a decent pic of Minnie (Now #3, since Jordan is out of the picture so to speak) with the magnifying glass. It's just for your viewing pleasure as I'm 100% sure she's a she now that I know what to look for in both genders. That's thanks to all of you who explained it to me and made the confirmation on Harley (#1) and Casey (#2) and how you guys taught me to sex them. So here's the pic and unless I have misunderstood everything about sexing them, She is a she:

IMG_20160320_132011.jpg
I know that only 1 pistil shows in this shot, But she is covered in them now that she's been in the flower tent since the 3/9/16. It's just hard for me to take good pics from a sitting position or I would have gotten more (I took 4, but this is the only one that the magnifying glass didn't get in the way(almost did on this one even).

Thanks for the great instructions to all of you!

Just for kicks, I was able to finally get a decent pic of Minnie (Now #3, since Jordan is out of the picture so to speak) with the magnifying glass. It's just for your viewing pleasure as I'm 100% sure she's a she now that I know what to look for in both genders. That's thanks to all of you who explained it to me and made the confirmation on Harley (#1) and Casey (#2) and how you guys taught me to sex them. So here's the pic and unless I have misunderstood everything about sexing them, She is a she:

IMG_20160320_132011.jpg
I know that only 1 pistil shows in this shot, But she is covered in them now that she's been in the flower tent since the 3/9/16. It's just hard for me to take good pics from a sitting position or I would have gotten more (I took 4, but this is the only one that the magnifying glass didn't get in the way(almost did on this one even).

Thanks for the great instructions to all of you!

Isn't it awesome to be able to inspect a plant now and just KNOW what it is? I remember, as I'm sure you do, looking at my plant and wondering what I'm going to see and where I'm going to see it. Having a male reveal himself finished that lesson, it's simple now. Long ways to go, but I'm really enjoying this. Growing tomatoes and peppers for the first time was rewarding, but this beats that by a long shot! Grow on, Smoke! :goodjob:

Isn't it awesome to be able to inspect a plant now and just KNOW what it is? I remember, as I'm sure you do, looking at my plant and wondering what I'm going to see and where I'm going to see it. Having a male reveal himself finished that lesson, it's simple now. Long ways to go, but I'm really enjoying this. Growing tomatoes and peppers for the first time was rewarding, but this beats that by a long shot! Grow on, Smoke! :goodjob:

You got that right Jimmie! I love being able to tell the difference now and the perks are going to be so much better than vegetables (I'm an anti-vegetarian with only a couple exceptions such as corn, green peppers and sweet potatoes). I can't wait until I can quit using my narcs. I'm sure I will be like another wonderful person here who hates pain too and for me once every couple of weeks I will have to use a pill (if I HAVE to only). But that's my goal and doesn't reflect on anyone else who likes it recreationally since I know it is so much safer than alcohol from my old job (you wouldn't believe the number of alcohol OD's we used to see before I got hurt). And never one for THC!

Back
Top Bottom