Nick Hardy's Skunk Works #3 5x5 - Dissertation Grow

Day #48 since flip.
Tent Harvest Window Days 55-70

There’s stuff I could pull now. One Mim X OP is basically all orange.

WARNING - Relentless bud shots below. Skip if bored. There are 3 pivtures of the OG Blueberry Donkey’s Dick but just trying yo give a sense of scale. Its 5-6 inches wide at the bottom and easily 18”

IMG_0528.jpeg
IMG_0529.jpeg
IMG_0530.jpeg
IMG_0532.jpeg
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

Day #49 since flip. Life in the girls yet. We’re all on one tank now, early and late flower which pretty much match - though the EC spiked to 2.6 which honestly is fine. That’s top range from Dutch Pro - without Co2. And Co2 I have. Back on today. If you look carefully there’s an all orange Mim OP.

Cruising along. Environment was a bit cool today and I’m not sure why. Perhaps a knock on effect of improving the extraction from the last tent in the circuit, the 4x4.

No need to scroll further than this.

Nick

IMG_0589.jpeg
IMG_0590.jpeg
IMG_0591.jpeg
IMG_0592.jpeg
IMG_0593.jpeg
IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0595.jpeg
IMG_0597.jpeg
IMG_0599.jpeg

Day #50 - Bullseye!

A day so momentous I nearly forgot the pound sign! Harvest Window opens T Minus 5 Days… wow exciting times and so a treat for you, umm nah sorry more bud pictures. Its the best I got.- having is just cruisey in there. They’re still smashing the drinking, the Mim OP is finishing up a bit though. They get 2x 8 minute sessions a day.

The dripper collars (these smaller ones) have 4 2/L and hour drippers inside.

4x 2L/ph = 8000ml/hr/ 60 minutes

= 133ml/ minute x 8 minutes

= 1066L (twice daily - 2132ml)

So they are taking two thirds of the pot size (0.75 gallon/3L) each day. The Mim OP’s and one Ttopicanna Banana are closer to 6 minutes on the second feed. The Blueberry OG’s last to finish - they are also 55 dayers but seem happy to stick around.

Anyway bud shots. We begin with a bicephalic or dicephalic if you prefer plant (alright - two headed) cola. This was one so fast out of the traps in stretch she burned her crown off in a day so I chopped it off.

There are two very similar photos I like. First or second?

Oh the finish is proof you can’t repair damaged leaves. Rich green around that matt brown which is where the leaves got contact burns about 5 weeks ago.

Nick

IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_0628.jpeg
IMG_0629.jpeg
IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0635.jpeg
IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0656.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_0634.jpeg

Wow - those pictures look way better on a laptop than on my phone!

For something a little different - budget, well as budget as I can get using only Amazon to build a Semi Electric Pump Triggered Irrigation Controller (SEPTIC) for your tent or grow space. This thing will run a dozen grow spaces or more - I have 96 individual watering outputs running off two reservoirs using pretty much what I have listed below. All prices are shipped to the US, I used the McDonalds on Cicero Avenue, Chicago as my shipping address (been using it since 2009 when I got my first Kindle!)

#1 The Pump

Something like that should be good - $80 Ours is a little beefier but cost about the same. The one I linked to has a built in pressure sensor, open the tap/faucet and the pump will kick in.

IMG_0672.jpeg

1706246641394.png

$80-100

#2 Pipe and Bits

1706250501711.png

1/2" Pipe and connectors your're gonna need some L connectors, splitters if you have more than one destination. To be honest better off getting this at you local hardware store. You'll need some glue - PVC glue, our is like $1 and comes with a brush in which is neat but mostly I dunk the pipe in the tin direct. Sets in a minute or two. Also some of this:

To seal any screw in joints.

Two of these:

Also a pipe cutter -

Or just use a hacksaw.

Total cost $35 - $60 with the cutter

#3 Reservoir/Tanks

IMG_0677.jpeg

@VIVOSUN have this collapsible rain water tank - they also have a pump that might work with it. Basically any water suitable tank with a fitted pipe at the bottom. They come in vertical or horizontal designs and different sizes. I'd recommend a 100L/25 Gallon as a minimum.

$60

#4 Manifold

IMG_0678.jpeg

One of these - you'll need a 1/2" PVC adaptor to connect vertically - the L shaped PV connectors will point it skywards. This is a slightly different version to ours pictured - ours are definitely available in the US - the site used to have them as prizes.

$20

#5 Filters

IMG_0679.jpeg

Get a filter or you'll be blocking your drippers every few weeks.

$15

#6 Irrigation

IMG_0683.jpeg

We use these and the larger ones upstairs. We also use these:

All by Netafim - not prone to blocking, regular flow rates.

NB - use their pipe - it will likely a bit small on the manifold but a lighter is your friend - better too small than too big. Also cut the pipes to each outlet the same length. You can coil up any excess neatly.

IMG_0692.jpeg

You want as many as you are going to water - if you want 4 plants - you can block 8 off on your manifold with valves or you can run 3 slower dripper to each plant (I'd do this) or buy a 4 or 6 pipe manifold.

1706250715514.png

$20 - $100 NB - this is the area with the biggest potential savings.

#7 Clean Up

IMG_0681.jpeg

If you're watering to overflow like we do in Coco you're gonna have excess water so we have some 3x4' sump trays - I can't find any thing big enough on Amazon but your local big box store might have them in the Pet or Automotive sections. Even your tent liner will work in a pinch, but I prefer them in the trays, easier to hold water there to add humidity when required and easier to vacuum out.

They are surprisingly expensive.

$40

So its not that cheap all priced direct off Amazon. $315

But I'm sure that savings can be had locally or with stuff lying around - I reckon you could get it done for about $200, you can build on this as well, keep adding valves so you can add multiple tanks, multiple watering locations. With the exception of the electrics and the initial 1" connection to the tanks I did all of it - its like Technics Lego but easier building it all out.

Hopefully the pictures will help but any questions just ask. It is such a game changer for growing more plants.

Treat yourself! You can upgrade to blue buttons but the valves will work just as well.

Nick

So a lot of these are showing N def and some Cal Mag deficiency. Its faintly ludicrous, I’ve been giving them 2.5ml per litre. The Cal-Mag we use is 4-0-0 +Fe has well. Its the longer runners Runtz x Layer Cake and Tropicanna Banana too.

In one of those lucky happenstances of life I forgot to switch tanks so they got a dose of veg nutes for a few minutes. Probably 2 minutes worth of the feed - I gave them 2 minutes extra at the end of the flower stuff. Maybe that will extract some extra production out of them. We’re using 2.15L or over half a gallon of Cal Mag a week at the moment. Crazy. But crazy big buds everywhere.

Tried some new angles. All the better for checking with.

Nick

IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_0694.jpeg
IMG_0695.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0705.jpeg

The close up is of a Mim OP - that does not look 5 days from harvest to me. Anyone, anyone?

Day 51 more like Day 41 which is when it started. That said there are some of them full orange and probably could do with it. I’m in no rush. I’ll slow the other 5x5 I have to. Really want to push for a stronger result - they weren't ready last time we grew them - but its still plenty strong. 17%? Dunno it perks you up worky worky for an hour or two then the indica kicks and its Sleepy Boboland.

More like weeks on the Mim x 😂
What kind of sorcery nick! How are them huge ass buds not on their back! Beautiful bro but I wouldn't want to trim them 😂

More like weeks on the Mim x 😂
What kind of sorcery nick! How are them huge ass buds not on their back! Beautiful bro but I wouldn't want to trim them 😂
My work ends when they’re chopped off the plant - I’m only allowed to do the first ceremonial one 😂

For then on I just check the dry room environment and pester for samples 🤣

its probably the Tutu that’s helping the plants 🤔

First off.. u lucky git 😂 I wish my job ended at chop.. are you crap at trimming or just pretend to be crap so you get out of it 😂

Second..

Wow - those pictures look way better on a laptop than on my phone!

For something a little different - budget, well as budget as I can get using only Amazon to build a Semi Electric Pump Triggered Irrigation Controller (SEPTIC) for your tent or grow space. This thing will run a dozen grow spaces or more - I have 96 individual watering outputs running off two reservoirs using pretty much what I have listed below. All prices are shipped to the US, I used the McDonalds on Cicero Avenue, Chicago as my shipping address (been using it since 2009 when I got my first Kindle!)

#1 The Pump

Something like that should be good - $80 Ours is a little beefier but cost about the same. The one I linked to has a built in pressure sensor, open the tap/faucet and the pump will kick in.

IMG_0672.jpeg

1706246641394.png

$80-100

#2 Pipe and Bits

1706250501711.png

1/2" Pipe and connectors your're gonna need some L connectors, splitters if you have more than one destination. To be honest better off getting this at you local hardware store. You'll need some glue - PVC glue, our is like $1 and comes with a brush in which is neat but mostly I dunk the pipe in the tin direct. Sets in a minute or two. Also some of this:

To seal any screw in joints.

Two of these:

Also a pipe cutter -

Or just use a hacksaw.

Total cost $35 - $60 with the cutter

#3 Reservoir/Tanks

IMG_0677.jpeg

@VIVOSUN have this collapsible rain water tank - they also have a pump that might work with it. Basically any water suitable tank with a fitted pipe at the bottom. They come in vertical or horizontal designs and different sizes. I'd recommend a 100L/25 Gallon as a minimum.

$60

#4 Manifold

IMG_0678.jpeg

One of these - you'll need a 1/2" PVC adaptor to connect vertically - the L shaped PV connectors will point it skywards. This is a slightly different version to ours pictured - ours are definitely available in the US - the site used to have them as prizes.

$20

#5 Filters

IMG_0679.jpeg

Get a filter or you'll be blocking your drippers every few weeks.

$15

#6 Irrigation

IMG_0683.jpeg

We use these and the larger ones upstairs. We also use these:

All by Netafim - not prone to blocking, regular flow rates.

NB - use their pipe - it will likely a bit small on the manifold but a lighter is your friend - better too small than too big. Also cut the pipes to each outlet the same length. You can coil up any excess neatly.

IMG_0692.jpeg

You want as many as you are going to water - if you want 4 plants - you can block 8 off on your manifold with valves or you can run 3 slower dripper to each plant (I'd do this) or buy a 4 or 6 pipe manifold.

1706250715514.png

$20 - $100 NB - this is the area with the biggest potential savings.

#7 Clean Up

IMG_0681.jpeg

If you're watering to overflow like we do in Coco you're gonna have excess water so we have some 3x4' sump trays - I can't find any thing big enough on Amazon but your local big box store might have them in the Pet or Automotive sections. Even your tent liner will work in a pinch, but I prefer them in the trays, easier to hold water there to add humidity when required and easier to vacuum out.

They are surprisingly expensive.

$40

So its not that cheap all priced direct off Amazon. $315

But I'm sure that savings can be had locally or with stuff lying around - I reckon you could get it done for about $200, you can build on this as well, keep adding valves so you can add multiple tanks, multiple watering locations. With the exception of the electrics and the initial 1" connection to the tanks I did all of it - its like Technics Lego but easier building it all out.

Hopefully the pictures will help but any questions just ask. It is such a game changer for growing more plants.

Treat yourself! You can upgrade to blue buttons but the valves will work just as well.

Nick

I managed to find a similar manifold to yours will be perfect for my next grow👌 And thinking about a filter as yours looks filth 😂 🙏

your system looks like semi automated as you have to turn nobs and push buttons but it saves you having 20 pumps with such a big multi zone grow.

For single zone you would just need a timer & anti syphon valve to go fully automated too.

First off.. u lucky git 😂 I wish my job ended at chop.. are you crap at trimming or just pretend to be crap so you get out of it 😂

Second..

I managed to find a similar manifold to yours will be perfect for my next grow👌 And thinking about a filter as yours looks filth 😂 🙏

your system looks like semi automated as you have to turn nobs and push buttons but it saves you having 20 pumps with such a big multi zone grow.

For single zone you would just need a timer & anti syphon valve to go fully automated too.
Dunno what I’m like a trimming, never tried! Well maybe 2-3 nugs.
Semi Electric Pump Triggered Irrigation Controller (SEPTIC)

Yeah I have a wifi enabled electro-mechanical tap actuator (unused) I guess you’d call it. Its a black box with a metal arm on it that you clamp by the valve and at a given press of the app or on a schedule it will move the arm to open or close the valve. I had another style which was an inline valve with solenoid (we actually use one of these for the Master Blue Buttons) that had wifi similarly. They’re about score to a pony sorta money. 😂 i’d need at a minimum 6 or 7 of them. Bet I could group them easily in the app so Tent #1 needs Valves #1 #3 and #5 open to water all rest closed.

I haven’t done it because m, meh it would be easy to fit and setup apart from the electrics - I have it in series now which means I’d need a bunch of electrical sockets all over. I could run individual pipes to each tent and group the power easily enough but for what? I watch them all to run off every feed. I’m pretty dialled in - 4x4 - 3 minutes 8x4 10 minutes, 5x5 Flower 8 Minutes, 5x5 Veg 4 minutes, Flower room 28 minutes (filter needs cleaning should be 20)

Maybe I was the only one home and worked outside I’d do it. Be a load of stress though. I had a wifi solenoid I soldered up all by myself for a chilli cage I build “Alexa water my plants” I was just constantly stressed I was flooding the apartment each time I used it when we were away! The biggest thing for me (literally as well as figuratively) is the tanks. I had to mix 6L a day for nearly a week, just Ph’ing it at that small volume is a PITA. One more drop. One more drop - bugger its down at 4.8 🤣

Even I had a single tent I’d have a 100L tank and irrigation. I have 200L and 100L now. Ideally I need another one, 3-500. Mixing 200L every other day at the moment is a pain.

Dunno what I’m like a trimming, never tried! Well maybe 2-3 nugs.

Yeah I have a wifi enabled electro-mechanical tap actuator (unused) I guess you’d call it. Its a black box with a metal arm on it that you clamp by the valve and at a given press of the app or on a schedule it will move the arm to open or close the valve. I had another style which was an inline valve with solenoid (we actually use one of these for the Master Blue Buttons) that had wifi similarly. They’re about score to a pony sorta money. 😂 i’d need at a minimum 6 or 7 of them. Bet I could group them easily in the app so Tent #1 needs Valves #1 #3 and #5 open to water all rest closed.

I haven’t done it because m, meh it would be easy to fit and setup apart from the electrics - I have it in series now which means I’d need a bunch of electrical sockets all over. I could run individual pipes to each tent and group the power easily enough but for what? I watch them all to run off every feed. I’m pretty dialled in - 4x4 - 3 minutes 8x4 10 minutes, 5x5 Flower 8 Minutes, 5x5 Veg 4 minutes, Flower room 28 minutes (filter needs cleaning should be 20)

Maybe I was the only one home and worked outside I’d do it. Be a load of stress though. I had a wifi solenoid I soldered up all by myself for a chilli cage I build “Alexa water my plants” I was just constantly stressed I was flooding the apartment each time I used it when we were away! The biggest thing for me (literally as well as figuratively) is the tanks. I had to mix 6L a day for nearly a week, just Ph’ing it at that small volume is a PITA. One more drop. One more drop - bugger its down at 4.8 🤣

Even I had a single tent I’d have a 100L tank and irrigation. I have 200L and 100L now. Ideally I need another one, 3-500. Mixing 200L every other day at the moment is a pain.
Im surprised you aren't using those 1000ltr IBC carts for your reservoirs

Im surprised you aren't using those 1000ltr IBC carts for your reservoirs
Are they the cuboid ones with a metal cage around them? The farms all have them, sell them at a couple of places but cheaper online. They’re the footprint of a 5x5 😂 one more 300L I reckon ai’m good!

Yea that's them you could stack the veg and flower tanks on top of each other it would probably be same footprint as your 2 tanks now but way more capacity
Are they the cuboid ones with a metal cage around them? The farms all have them, sell them at a couple of places but cheaper online. They’re the footprint of a 5x5 😂 one more 300L I reckon ai’m good!

Yea that's them you could stack the veg and flower tanks on top of each other it would probably be same footprint as your 2 tanks now but way more capacity
Can you stack them? Farmer mate had 6 I think. They had man sized inspection hatches on top (& Co climbs into the 200L tank to clean - then I showed her a hidden power socket you can plug the wet/dry in which is easier 🤣)
IMG_0739.jpeg

That’s $60-70 that’s a whole heap of Ph Down. I guess one of those. Ooh but you got me thinking.

One of those (4x4 as it fits on a pallet) as the flower fert mixing tank. Fill the 200L off that and Ph down the 200L daily, big ticket items like the Bloom Explode just add in to the 200L with the base in the 1000L. Use the 100L for veg as they drink less then. Its going to be a choice between one of those and a 4x4 for cloning and breeding.

Back
Top Bottom