Radogast 2016 - The Neverending Growing

Congrats on the harvest Rad :thumb:
Cool test with the twins, got me thinking also if it would affect yield further down the line, for eg. if you were to take a clone from a root-bound plant while its in veg, if you did this over and over again i was thinking could degrade the genetics quite a lot. Though it could even just be down to the root-bound plant taking longer to adjust to its new environment when it was transplanted but defo something to think about ;)

Very interesting Rad,

The new clone definitely looks to be bigger in the yield department. I regularly use "root bound" technique to slow down growth. I never imagined I would be hurting yield. I knew I was stressing them and look for herm traits. This makes me think that leaving them in small pots isn't a great idea.

I was also 'holding' plants in the 4" pots waiting for transplant, also "to slow growth down" until a large pot came free.

Now that I have a bucket cloner, I 'hold' clones in the bucket and the roots get a little long, but when you trim the hydro roots and sprinkle a little mycorrhizal dust they root seemingly as quickly as clones with 1" roots.

So this experiment semi-proves it is better not to go root bound. Based on a sample size of one test :)

During this test, I havested a root mass of 3/4" thick roots crammed up into the space of a 4" pots, 4 months after transplant into a 10-gallon pot. This was a warning against becoming root bound,, BUT If your plants don't do this, your holding technique is probably OK.

Congrats on the harvest Rad :thumb:
Cool test with the twins, got me thinking also if it would affect yield further down the line, for eg. if you were to take a clone from a root-bound plant while its in veg, if you did this over and over again i was thinking could degrade the genetics quite a lot. Though it could even just be down to the root-bound plant taking longer to adjust to its new environment when it was transplanted but defo something to think about ;)

I wonder also about the 'epigenetic drift' of passed down from clone to clone.

On the one hand, clones taken from lower scraggly branches tend to produce scrawnier plants than he clones taken from the tops of the best stalks on the plant. But that is where the books say to take clones.

On the other hand, studies of epigenetic drift describe the mechanisms of transmission as methylation of the non-DNA RNA, such as found in human mitochondria. And it is very interesting that cellular de-methylation appears to be part of the cancer healing of cannabis, and liver cell, CB1, and CB2 receptor methylation (endocannabanoid system methylation) is part of how THC in cannabis gets you high.

All of which seems like it might make sense - but is more likely a result of me taking 1 hit off the Tangerine Dream that just finished drying this aftenoon, and thus finding connections based on the concept of methylation among disparate systems. The false connections exposed by the simple fact that the methylation cycle in humans appears to be a very common cycle of chemical exchange, second only to ATP/ADP energy cycle mediating cell wall permiability and basic energy exchanges.

My brain slings some lovely bullshit when I get stoned. I like this version of Tangerine Dream.

The Full Cyce in 24 hours

In the last 24 hours, I:

cloned AK47 Bonnie in the bucket cloner
watered White Widow Ava clone cubes
transplanted GSC Zoe a 4" pot into a 10-gallon fabric pot
moved AK47 Bonnie from veg into flower
watered Snowcap, AK47 and Borderliner girls in the flowering room
harvested, trimmed and washed Snowcap Snow Queen
hung Snowcap to dry
unhung from drying, weighed and jarred Tangerine Dream Ghita, and White Widow Dennise and Bella
smoked Tangerine Dream, sharing with friend and family
- - That is most of the plant cycle

In the worm cycle I:

cut organic banana peels for worm food
harvested cannabis leaves for worm food
spread worm poop from worm bin into AK47 moving from veg into flower
discovered a worm living in the 10-gallon pot of newly harvested Snowcap
- - That is a big piece of the worm cycle

I feel like a genuine personal medical marijuana farmer.

GSC Zoe - transplanted early, but the next pot won't arrive for over a month and I don't want Zoe to wait.

20160312_105328-1.jpg

20160312_105308-1.jpg

Today's ready-to-smoke - 1+ ounce of White Widow and 1/8+ of Tangerine Dream

20160312_173717-1.jpg

Northern Lights Stella

Out of the shadow of AK47 Bonnie, I was able to take photos of Northern Lights Stella.

20160311_125204-11.jpg

Stella, my sweet 16", is blessed with natural beauty.

20160311_125144-11.jpg

I love the color of the stem... It reminds me beetroot...Excellent satisfying looking organism....
:bravo:

Northern Lights Stella

Out of the shadow of AK47 Bonnie, I was able to take photos of Northern Lights Stella.

20160311_125204-11.jpg

Stella, my sweet 16", is blessed with natural beauty.

20160311_125144-11.jpg

I love the color of the stem... It reminds me beetroot...Excellent satisfying looking organism....

A few weeks ago, I switched out the standard T5ho CFLs with Agromax Pure PAR Veg (color adjusted) T5ho CFLs. This has caused about half my strains to turn stalks and/or leaf petioles red. I also think it helps them grow !

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett

3 plants weighed and dried yesterday:

White Widow Bellatrix 24g,
White Widow Denise 4g,
Tangerine Dream Ghita 4.6g

- for 3 ft tall plants. I fail a lot.

Ghita has really dank buds. Smoking induced euphoria and perceptions like buzzed on alcohol. Also a tendency to bad decisions like alcohol. I browned some hamburger meat for burritos, spiced it well, then watched the meat brown - striving for an even color to indicate well done, then definined well done as well browned, then tried to get every little nugget an even walnut brown color - - really not the right way to cook meat, but a mighty fine high.

One Ghita clone taken before flower and one clone taken in flower both failed to take - so I don't have the genetics. A friend of a friend may still have the genetics, I'm going to ask.

Not a fail, still a result :)
The girls you have in the flower room now are going to kick butt over them, although only a small yield its still a yield and all will help your wife ;) I hope you can get your hands on Ghita's genetics again, sounds like shes a real dank smoke, i have a Tangerine Dream seed here i have been saving for a special occasion, if you were closer id germ it and clone her a few times for you hehe

Saddlebag lights

This afternoon I roped and lasso'ed a couple of LED lights onto the side of one of my HPS light hoods. I'm calling them saddlebag lights :)
I have these on a timer to run 3 hours per day in the middle of the flowering day for some extra bud boost. This is based on an experiment by Emilya, I'll have to go back to her thread and read how many hours she had her supplemental lights on.

Starting with a pair of 100 x 3W LEDs,

20160318_172339_0_.jpg

I roped together an outside loop to hang the lights just below the level of the HPS light hood, and an inside loop to adjust the angle of the LEDs.

20160318_171434-1-1.jpg

The empty hood.

20160318_171613.jpg

The hood with saddlebag lights set on top (no cinch strap.)

20160318_172531.jpg

The angle of the LEDs

20160318_173717.jpg

Saddlebag lights powered up.

20160318_172544.jpg

That contraption looks insane! Those extra LED's are going to be a major boost. I've been wanting to see a mix of HID and LED.

Nice to see someone with worms. I'm going to be starting my own worm bin pretty soon. Can't wait to get to those castings.

I'm diggin the extra baggage!

I'm excited to see how these work. I went back and checked Emmie's thread and she was adding 600W MH to 600W HPS for 3 hours around flowering day noon. I'm adding 600W LED to 600W HPS for 3 hours around flowering day noon. Hopefully it is a pomelos to grapefruits comparison.

Emmie's Organic Garden Using Advanced Lighting Techniques

Will be interesting to see how it goes Rad, i have 2 of these panels from my first indoor grow sitting right here i dont have anything to do with :)

The three girls in flower, entered as larger plants, had a layer of worm castings as a graduation into flower present, and now get a noontime supplement of LED light. I should get bigger, better harvests from this - but I won't know why :)

That contraption looks insane! Those extra LED's are going to be a major boost. I've been wanting to see a mix of HID and LED.

Nice to see someone with worms. I'm going to be starting my own worm bin pretty soon. Can't wait to get to those castings.

The lights are not attached, they are literally balanced by ropes, but there is a lip of overlap so that if things start to come unbalanced they won't come crashing down on my flowering girls. I was surprised by how heavy the lights were. Fortuitously, the HPS hoods are solid units hanging from 1200lb rated eyescrews inches deep into rafters. If my knots hold, it should hold together just fine :)

I love my worms. They are real low maintenance. Except for removing worm castings, all I do is feed and water once every 2-5 weeks.

Okay there is the couple of months where I saved every egg shell. And I still save and cut up all my organic banana peels. And naturally I keep a plastic cannister for saving cannabis leaves between worm feedings. Maybe there is more work than I think, but it is all part of my regular routine, like handwashing mixing bowls after cooking or hosing down boots when they get muddy.

Thanks for dropping by my journal Brunt the Ferengi

Back
Top Bottom