Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Harvest Update

The AK47 buds are dry. Total harvest weight 93.3g (about 3 and 1/4 oz.)

20170330_162615.jpg

I couldn't find the usual jars, so I found an old tea jar to hold the buds.

20170330_163513-1.jpg

Congratulations on your harvest Rado :adore:

:love::cco::drool:

Plants I watered today

I watered 2 plants in Veg today. I have 7 plants in veg, plus 2 seedlings growing their first set of true leaves and 2 strains in the cloner.
I also watered the 3 girls in flower.

Tangerine Widow - regular seed, unsexed

20170330_142508-1.jpg

Hawaiian Skunk - regular seed, I put a rooted clone in the flower room for sexing today.

20170330_150836-1.jpg

Bubba's Gift - 18-20" tall. She hadn't stretched much after 12 days in the flower area. I unbound her branches today.

20170330_154555-1.jpg

Borderliner - 45 days (7+ weeks) in the flower area.

20170330_153910-1.jpg

20170330_154218-1.jpg

20170330_153923-1.jpg

Amherst Sour Diesel - 45 days (7+ weeks) in the flower area.

20170330_155206-1.jpg

20170330_155304-1.jpg

20170330_155238-1.jpg

ok so what does all tht mean the oversized housings and lozenge shaped fans with controlers lol all I can think is man are u speaking Chinese lol not really but I am confused as to what type of fan to get I'm guessing the housing wud be the actual unit itself tht holds the fan?? and obviously the lozenge part means its shape but inline and duct boosters all tht stuff is new 2me well everything about growing this plant is new 2me Ive never really grew b4 this so sry for being such a hassel guys bare with me please and thank you every1 for the help if any1 needs a better idea of what I am working with feel free 2 swing by my journal its in my sig. to see my tent setup and what I got for room. the pics mite be able to explain better then I cud, anyway thanks again every1 and member keep it green and stay frosty everybody :Namaste:

ok so I'm back quick after I went to my journal I realized I shuda followed my own advice and check my journal lol u did post what type of fan to get lol sorry for the long winded response :rofl: but yea I'm off to re read ur post and figure out what it all means and then go online and look at what I can find unless u think they wud sell this fan at home depot or THE wallmart
I've always had good luck, buying from htg supply. They have brick & motor stores & online, in America. You need a 6' 440 cfm fan, with a 18-20' carbon filter. Probably gonna set ya back about $180.

ok so what does all tht mean the oversized housings and lozenge shaped fans with controlers lol all I can think is man are u speaking Chinese lol not really but I am confused as to what type of fan to get I'm guessing the housing wud be the actual unit itself tht holds the fan?? and obviously the lozenge part means its shape but inline and duct boosters all tht stuff is new 2me well everything about growing this plant is new 2me Ive never really grew b4 this so sry for being such a hassel guys bare with me please and thank you every1 for the help if any1 needs a better idea of what I am working with feel free 2 swing by my journal its in my sig. to see my tent setup and what I got for room. the pics mite be able to explain better then I cud, anyway thanks again every1 and member keep it green and stay frosty everybody :Namaste:

ok so I'm back quick after I went to my journal I realized I shuda followed my own advice and check my journal lol u did post what type of fan to get lol sorry for the long winded response :rofl: but yea I'm off to re read ur post and figure out what it all means and then go online and look at what I can find unless u think they wud sell this fan at home depot or THE wallmart
I've always had good luck, buying from htg supply. They have brick & motor stores & online, in America. You need a 6' 440 cfm fan, with a 18-20' carbon filter. Probably gonna set ya back about $180. that aK47 looks delicious Rad..

Rado, just wanted to point out what looks like a nanner? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ye got have some enviable nugs there! :love:

20170330_153923-1.jpg

It's not necessarily a nanner. You'll have to take a good close look. It's at the bottom middle of the bud - what looks a greenish/blond leaf tip kinda pointed to the left. It's either that or a leaftip. :cheesygrinsmiley: It'll be obvious up close if it's a nanner.

If it is, just pluck it out and take a hunt for more. You're far enough along that it shouldn't be unmanageable.

It's not necessarily a nanner. You'll have to take a good close look. It's at the bottom middle of the bud - what looks a greenish/blond leaf tip kinda pointed to the left. It's either that or a leaftip. :cheesygrinsmiley: It'll be obvious up close if it's a nanner.

If it is, just pluck it out and take a hunt for more. You're far enough along that it shouldn't be unmanageable.

All my leaf tips are brown - With at dark streak down the middle of the light green - I'm thinking it's probably a nanner. I'll check in about 10 hours after I sleep and do my morning routine.

thank u brotha for the kind words altho I dnt feel I deserve em lol I was jus thinkn of my "gardening skills" n if it wasn't 4 u n bobrown14 I wudnt be where I am all I'm really doing is following what u guys tell me n so far my only harvest ive done with my gud genetic seeds was done way 2 early so I had a crappy yield but my purple kush barley has any triche frost at all not compared to the frost u see on sum of bb14s buds I mean like dam he has a nice show goin on over there lol but thank u man it really means a lot 2me 2 have a grower good as ur self say tht it really makes me wana learn more so I can grow better lookn plants to REALLY earn those words. and yea I hope to get my grower skill up to be able to get a gram per watt for a yield one day thts my goal and to find out what ur square foot is don't u jus multiply the length by width by height I forget how to get it lol fukn nooby over here lol anyway enuf of me ranting on an again :thanks: an member keep it green and stay frosty my friend :Namaste:

Thanks Blaze for the kind words... for me and lighting... it's all about the output efficiency of the light. Never too much light unless you start cooking top colas. I've done that. I'm continually upgrading our LED lighting. The newer COB tech is getting better at PAR value @ lower wattage.

I run right at about 30W psf currently. Some lamps do better than others at growing frosty flowers... and there's genetics which is the most important part. In your case I'd add in 2 more of those Mars lights you have in hand. They do pretty good work growing frosty flowers. I've been using some of the Mars gear for several years now. I've transitioned to some VERO29 cobs this year ....they have GREAT penetration. That last Future run #2 & #1 were under the Timber Cobs. #2 is hanging dry now and was pretty heavy with dense fat frosty nugs. With those lamps I've actually decreased wattage and increased PAR which also decreases heat, my main challenge as I use no AC.

For a fan I run one 4" inline duct fan. As you figured out by now I do things a little different than most so what I do instead of hanging my filter in the tent (visions of lighting crashing my party), all I do is run the duct into the tent above the lights and hang it there. that's my intake. Ducting runs to a different room where the inline fan is attached to the other end of the duct and the filter attached to the fan. I run that 24/7 all day all year. One good thing about my setup I can take the filter and run water thru the carbon and clean & recharge it and back into action in 10 minutes. I run an Apollo 4" fan with 4" ducting @ ~200 cfm. I get some residual scent (depending on strain) so going to a 6" and over 500 cfm would probably be best for me but I got the 4" for my 5x5 tent like you are in and it worked for that size. GL with your lighting project... just go up till you start cooking tops then back off a tad! or PAR meter...:thumb:

Hey Rad congrats on your harvest bud! Seemed just a short while ago no flowers and a gaggle of VEG plants and you were figuring out Doc Buds kit.... you made it and did a mighty fine job of it too! Like those big tall flowers. So yeah congrats and job well done.

French Quarter sounding awesome... congrats on the home remodel, sounds like you're right where you wanna be and its good to have help and everyone involved. It always take FOREVER around these parts to get everyone going on all cylinders at the same time, there's always distractions to slow things down.

AK47 FTW :high-five:

All my leaf tips are brown - With at dark streak down the middle of the light green - I'm thinking it's probably a nanner. I'll check in about 10 hours after I sleep and do my morning routine.

Its that litlle banana looking thing... most of them dont have pollen in the top buds (my experience) but if you look down lower on the plant and up close to the main stalk that's where the nanners will be that are viable. Not usually an issue with those as they don't have much pollen and it usually only pollinates the little LAF bud below it even with fans going. The pollen, if any is not very viable... and won't travel very far.

Those on the buds are a sign of the plants last ditch effort to reproduce... poor little lady... all she want's is a man in her life... sorry to see she's going to go down as a pretty little spinster that she is.... ah well. I usually get pretty serious about harvesting when I see them! Usually only see them when its hot.

Those buds look pretty far along maybe closer to harvest than you thought?? Loopy time...

Why it does look like a nanner !

I never had one before. :)

Thanks for finding Waldo the Nanner , Mr Graytail

That is a nanner. Just pick it out and keep an eye on her. I have nanners from time to time due to light leaks and also a couple of my strains just shoot one or two our at the very end of late flower as a last ditch effort to pollinate itself. I got one big seed once at that was it. Balls on the other hand are no good and my plants get extracted immediately but I haven't had that happen for a very long time and I think it was just a bad clone I got from someone else. NICE NUGS! Wow!

Those on the buds are a sign of the plants last ditch effort to reproduce... poor little lady... all she want's is a man in her life... sorry to see she's going to go down as a pretty little spinster that she is.... ah well. I usually get pretty serious about harvesting when I see them! Usually only see them when its hot.

Those buds look pretty far along maybe closer to harvest than you thought?? Loopy time...

I've seen nanner pictures on other threads - cannafan has taken good closeups over the years - so I'll finally get to touch one up front. I've explained the whole female, trichomes desperate for sex as what get them high to teenage boys - they really seem to get off on the metaphor :)

I really only take a good look at the girls in flower once every 7-10 days when I do a Brix foliar spray. I was pleasantly surprixed at how far along the pistils are. Until I did the math, I thought I was in week 4 or 5, not week 7. I need to get my head out of photoshoot mode and spend time in gardener mode during my foliar sessions.

Thanks for all the nice things, so many of you said. It feels very good to be done with retail weed and back to homegrown cannabis.

I'm not usually so happy about sharing photos of my jack-leg setup.... but I'll bend my rules a bit and do some show and tell.

A simple fan sucking out the top of my grow tent... pardon all the junk.
DSCN43092.JPG

A fan blowing down my CoolTube that exhausts outside. It sucks air from inside the bloom area and forms part of my extraction.
DSCN43073.JPG

The view from above. Sucks air in from the outer shed and forms more of my extraction elements. The pieces of silver insulation keep the airflow running over the outside of the CoolTube keeping the hottest part of the housing at about 106f.
DSCN43053.JPG

There are many other fans... ones in the veg and bloom area just keeping air moving. Both exhaust and inlet fans on either side of the outer shed. AC air. A fan blowing air directly over the ballast and other electrical bits. Below you can see an outer shed exhaust fan as well as the CoolTube exhaust.
DSCN43103.JPG

Yup... a fine example of some serious jack-leg engineering.
It's like a giant PC case with fans stuck everywhere. I love it!

As seemed wise, I went on a 'nanner hunt today.

20170331_163936-1.jpg

It took awhile to find the first one

20170331_163933_0_-1.jpg

Even though I have seen pictures before (including the one I took,) it was hard to wrap my head around how small they are.
It's right there in the center of the photo.

20170331_170238-1.jpg

Also hard to find the little shapes among all the other shapes, especially since they were in various shades of green and and one in yellow (I think that means mature,)

20170331_170203-1-1.jpg

Eventually I found a way to picture the size and location, and began looking for fat stemed, whitish pistils. This worked because the 'nanners are about 3 times the width of a pistil and found nestled in the bud where pistils emerge.

I found 15-20 'nanners. Most of which were crushed when trying to remove from the tweezers. 'Nanners compared to a nickel.

20170331_171357-1-1.jpg

Compared to top half of a pistil (upper left.) Pistils tend to fall apart when tweezered too :)

20170331_171429-1.jpg

Not bad. :cheesygrinsmiley:

We didn't want to find a whole bud turning to nanners like Bo mentioned. They'll do that, in the shade under the canopy, so keep a close eye on what this plant is going to do. In my experience, it'll either accelerate by the end of a week and become an issue, or it'll just slowly spit a few out here and there, sometimes even stop.

Do you have a drench coming up soon? You have less than 2 weeks left, so if it were mine I'd give it a double strength GE/Tea right away - show's gonna be over soon - push it as hard as I can in the time left - build some extra calyxes and trichs.

:Namaste:

Some of my favorite shots are of the harvested plant hanging, when I can more easily get the massive trichome development on the undersides of the sugar leaves. I keep walking down the hall today to stand there and admire the Carnival hanging there, just to gawk at the sugar leaves. :laughtwo:

I've never done a sex test on a clone. I'd forgotten that was an option. Makes the regular seeds more attractive, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom