Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Thanks for the Congrats, Norcaliwood. :)

The sandwiched aluminum labels are called impress-o-tags. If you write on them with medium pressure from a ballpoint pen, they 'engrave' the letters into the aluminum, which is water, sun, soil, and animal resistant. A box of 100 sells for about $18-20. I've now used about 40 for 40 plants. This grow I've started tracking dates on 3x5 cards, so the new tags just have the strain name and breeder initials. I'll be re-using them.

"Kind of like written in stone", except I've carved my name in stone, and it's really hard to chisel curved letters. The tags are easier to use.

I'm loooking forward to Carnival. There was a recent report of lucid dreaming by someone who let their plant go 25% amber and then smoked before bed. Shamanic smoke affects are a good family fit. Carnival / Mardis Gras joyfulness is also a good family fit - especially if we can avoid the crowds. :)

In the last week, after a new paint job and days of scrubbing the floor, we have renamed the dining room as "The French Quarter.' With only half the furniture in place, we embarked on a new craft project. I designed and replicated several wire armatures, the wife began fabric wrapping said armatures, and the young woman sculpted and painted clay heads, as well as assuming primary creative control and overall project responsibility for creating dozens of fairy figurines. At the same time my wife and I began arranging furniture, organizing craft supplies, delegating storage zones and started the first layer of decoration for the French Quarter.

Not everyone stacks a pair of carved pelicans, on a tall plant stand enclosing a clock base lamp, over a skull wearing a ventian carnival mask on a carved wooden serving tray, on a rectangular display case, on an inlaid hookah table, on an upended wooden toy box to fill a corner of their dining room. When they do, the room deserves a more descriptive name than 'Dining Room.' :rofl:

So Carnival fits our family dynamic.

I'm also looking forward to CBD Critical Cure with it's 1:2 THC:CBD ratio. It should be an excellent ingredient in oils and creams to massage away pain (mostly my wife's ever present pain - I rarely suffer.)

Both of these seeds were planted based on pressure to 'follow my bliss' from Sue Sweets (nee SweetSue on 420.) A true friend is one who kicks you in the ass after hearing you say over and over you want to get up and run. SweetSue is a true friend. :) I am truly grateful.

Carnival looks like a real seedling now :)

20170325_111729-1.jpg

p.s. The family has smoked 7.1 grams of oven dried and 'mostly dry' AK47. I trimmed another 8.1 grams of 'mostly dry' lower branches today. Eight days after harvest, the flavor is mild - just starting to develop. The aroma is pineapple. The effects are energetic, euphoric, and social, transitioning to permagrin and couchlock for up to an hour when you smoke heavily, then returning to euphoric and social.

dam rad sounds great I think ima have 2 run me sum ak47 what did u end up with for a yield on tht beast??

dam rad sounds great I think ima have 2 run me sum ak47 what did u end up with for a yield on tht beast??

Still drying - I'm guessing 3+ oz. It all depends on how heavy those fat buds at the top are. They look like they are each an oz - but probaby aren't more than 20 grams :)

My best cola so far was an 18 gram 10 incher. - That was almost 2 years ago. Be nice to have a new personal best :)

20150727_202853-1.jpg

Hey Rad! Lots going on over here. The French Quarter project sounds interesting. That's one big AK cola, nice work! Congrats on sprouting a Carnival! I wish I had more seeds or was able to keep mine going but my clone wound up very sickly and had to chop her.

Have a great Sunday brother!

:passitleft:

A question on ducting

My flower area exhaust fan is pumping out some pleasant cannabis aromas. Since I am routing the air through a filter and light hoods connected by ducting, my desire is to NOT have those cannabis aromas leaving the flower area. I was inspecting my ducts today and saw the light shining through my 3 year old flexible aluminium ducts.

Light shining through aluminium ducts

20170326_131611-1.jpg

I assume the aluminium duct is plastic laminated, but it might still have pinholes. I am ready to replace them.

What would be a good replacement for the 6" ducts. I need some flexibility and expandable length, but I think I would prefer a semi-flexible or semi-rigid.

The ducts partially collapse and move the hoods together when the fan turns on. I'd rather avoid that :)

A question on ducting

My flower area exhaust fan is pumping out some pleasant cannabis aromas. Since I am routing the air through a filter and light hoods connected by ducting, my desire is to NOT have those cannabis aromas leaving the flower area. I was inspecting my ducts today and saw the light shining through my 3 year old flexible aluminium ducts.

Light shining through aluminium ducts

20170326_131611-1.jpg

I assume the aluminium duct is plastic laminated, but it might still have pinholes. I am ready to replace them.

What would be a good replacement for the 6" ducts. I need some flexibility and expandable length, but I think I would prefer a semi-flexible or semi-rigid.

The ducts partially collapse and move the hoods together when the fan turns on. I'd rather avoid that :)

dryer duct...

There is also insulated ducting. $24 for 25'

I am looking seriously at insulated ducting - extruded plastic laminates wrapped in insulation seem more smell proof than semi-rigid aluminium strips wrapped and crimped into the shape of a pipe. By some product rating comments, the semi-rigid aluminium flex-pipe needs to be double wrapped in aluminium duct tape - inside and out at places where you cut - to be secure against stray airflow. That almost doubles the price and installation effort.

its funny tht u are talkn about ducting and stuff wen I jus alil while ago pm u about what type of a fan and ducting u wud recommend I go with lol but yea man good luck with all the house repairs I cant wait till we start doin sum remodeling over here or atleast once it warms up alil and all the snow is gone then I can start on the shed tht will be nice as well either one will be fine with me since I already have my flower tent up if we do the house first then tht means I jus get to use mre power inside and get to make my grow room more efficient with humidity and heat or if we do the shed first then I will have a full flower room with a completely controlled environment so now jus gotta do the waiting game mother nature don't rush 4 nobody lol anywhoser thought I wud make alil stop by and see whats what lol keep it green and stay frosty my friend :Namaste:

Insulated ducting would be good in your locale Rad where there seem to be temp swings/extremes to avoid condensation. Best is Thermoflex. :Namaste:

Thanks for the specific suggestion. I do get condensation drip from some of the furnace ducting.

I had forgot ducting was on my high priority list !

Today I realized that I was running low in the flower room because I only had 5 big pots in circulation for 4 flower spots and late veg. I couldn't add more big pots because I have 2 pots of soil cooking, and by the time they are done with their 30 day cook, I will have 2 pots coming out of flower and will have to set their soil aside to cook.

In my previous perpetual, there was no cooking between grows, so I didn't think of the timing of soil cooking. So much to learn :)

With no time to waste, I made up 1/2 a kit worth of soil, half of that went into a 10 gal GeoPot. The rest of the new mix is still dry - waiting for my RO system to do more reverse osmosing,

1 have another 1/4 bag of ProMix. I'll mix that up sometime in the next month which should give me 8 big pots in circulation, 4 for flower spots, 4 for veg.

I'm aiming for 2 plants harvested every 4-5 weeks, so 2 pots worth of soil cooking at all times (which is what I have now.) If I calulated right, this should be enough soil in circulation to last until a 4th soil run - So I shouldn't need to think about new indoor soil for at least a year.

So -- a fun day -- I like mixing soil :)

Congrats on the harvest, those buds looks great! Wish these pictures were scratch and sniff! Going to try and plant any chamomile with any of your girls?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

I moved 2 of the Roman Chamomile out of the veg area and ouside by the front steps. One more 4" chamomile left in the veg area.

20170327_132006-1.jpg

2 more photos herre ==> Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

Worked on my font yard Rain Garden plant list today - Stuff for bird, butterfly, and human enjoyment.

its funny tht u are talkn about ducting and stuff wen I jus alil while ago pm u about what type of a fan and ducting u wud recommend I go with lol but yea man good luck with all the house repairs I cant wait till we start doin sum remodeling over here or atleast once it warms up alil and all the snow is gone then I can start on the shed tht will be nice as well either one will be fine with me since I already have my flower tent up if we do the house first then tht means I jus get to use mre power inside and get to make my grow room more efficient with humidity and heat or if we do the shed first then I will have a full flower room with a completely controlled environment so now jus gotta do the waiting game mother nature don't rush 4 nobody lol anywhoser thought I wud make alil stop by and see whats what lol keep it green and stay frosty my friend :Namaste:

I saw the question - I was stalling because I can't remember the size of your flower area. .

You can go ahead and post your question here - I'm not much of an expert on anything, but there are smoe educated folks watching :) - Just mention current temp, current lights, and tent/room size and clarify your goals.

You folks have very admirable curiousity and knowledge - Feels great to be mentored along.

Thanks for the specific suggestion. I do get condensation drip from some of the furnace ducting.

I had forgot ducting was on my high priority list !

Today I realized that I was running low in the flower room because I only had 5 big pots in circulation for 4 flower spots and late veg. I couldn't add more big pots because I have 2 pots of soil cooking, and by the time they are done with their 30 day cook, I will have 2 pots coming out of flower and will have to set their soil aside to cook.

In my previous perpetual, there was no cooking between grows, so I didn't think of the timing of soil cooking. So much to learn :)

With no time to waste, I made up 1/2 a kit worth of soil, half of that went into a 10 gal GeoPot. The rest of the new mix is still dry - waiting for my RO system to do more reverse osmosing,

1 have another 1/4 bag of ProMix. I'll mix that up sometime in the next month which should give me 8 big pots in circulation, 4 for flower spots, 4 for veg.

I'm aiming for 2 plants harvested every 4-5 weeks, so 2 pots worth of soil cooking at all times (which is what I have now.) If I calulated right, this should be enough soil in circulation to last until a 4th soil run - So I shouldn't need to think about new indoor soil for at least a year.

So -- a fun day -- I like mixing soil :)

I moved 2 of the Roman Chamomile out of the veg area and ouside by the front steps. One more 4" chamomile left in the veg area.

20170327_132006-1.jpg

2 more photos herre ==> Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

Worked on my font yard Rain Garden plant list today - Stuff for bird, butterfly, and human enjoyment.

I saw the question - I was stalling because I can't remember the size of your flower area. .

You can go ahead and post your question here - I'm not much of an expert on anything, but there are smoe educated folks watching :) - Just mention current temp, current lights, and tent/room size and clarify your goals.

You folks have very admirable curiousity and knowledge - Feels great to be mentored along.

k so I have a flower tent which is 4feet 10 inches by 4foot 10inches and is 7feet 9inches tall I'm wondering 3 things
1. what type of fan wud I need to help with lowering the heat in my tent

2.also wud I need a different light then my vipraspecter series 600w led to produce more frosty triches on my buds is tht what the red is 4

3.for my lighting I got a vipraspecter 600w but I'm noticing tht they aren't as frosty as I think they shud be an ive heard of the viparspectra series not havn enuf red or deep red I'm wondering if tht has anything to do with the frost development idk if tht has anything to do with it or not so figured id ask the masters lol :thanks: and member keep it green and stay frosty my friend :Namaste:

ps. oh I almost forgot to add the current temp is rite about 81 degrees with lights on but thts only wen I open the window and turn my floor fan on but I need more lights in my tent cause I only have my vipraspecter 600w and one out of four of my mars hydro 150w led cubes I was thinkn about ordering two mars hydro reflector 96s to add to the flower room idk if I shud jus use my vipraspecter in my veg tent and use the mars hydro for my flower tent what do u guys think??

k so I have a flower tent which is 4feet 10 inches by 4foot 10inches and is 7feet 9inches tall I'm wondering 3 things
1. what type of fan wud I need to help with lowering the heat in my tent

2.also wud I need a different light then my vipraspecter series 600w led to produce more frosty triches on my buds is tht what the red is 4

3.for my lighting I got a vipraspecter 600w but I'm noticing tht they aren't as frosty as I think they shud be an ive heard of the viparspectra series not havn enuf red or deep red I'm wondering if tht has anything to do with the frost development idk if tht has anything to do with it or not so figured id ask the masters lol :thanks: and member keep it green and stay frosty my friend :Namaste:

ps. oh I almost forgot to add the current temp is rite about 81 degrees with lights on but thts only wen I open the window and turn my floor fan on but I need more lights in my tent cause I only have my vipraspecter 600w and one out of four of my mars hydro 150w led cubes I was thinkn about ordering two mars hydro reflector 96s to add to the flower room idk if I shud jus use my vipraspecter in my veg tent and use the mars hydro for my flower tent what do u guys think??

Blazin, (I was gonna call you BJ, but ... din' look right:) ... :laugh: I happen to be online, and I can pass on some info.

Depending on the range of temps and humidity outside your tent, you want to be able to pump 100-500 cubic feet per minute (CFM) through it, I get along fine with as little as 50 CFM, but my bloom room is in the basement where the temp tops out at 77F/25C in late August, so I can use an inline "mix flow" fan from Solar & Palau - usually used as a strong bathroom vent fan - very quiet and good quality - I ran mine for 3 years 24/7. But I only have a 4x4 space while yours is 5x5. You'll want something more robust. I can point you to something like the Can6 from Can-Fan. They have a good reputation for reliability. You get a speed controller with it, and that's as much venting as you'll need. Remember though, if you just dump that warm air right back into the room the tent is in, you'll heat up the intake air - gotta duct it out of the room itself.

I don't know anything about your LED panel, but a "600 watt" LED isn't usually a 600 watt panel. I'd expect it to draw 350-400 watts at the wall, and a good benchmark for lighting is 30-50 watts per square foot. You should be running 700 to 1200 watts in there. 350 comes up pretty short. :straightface:

And don't forget about controlling your humidity. You have to think about how you're going to do that while you're venting all the air in the tent every minute or two. :hmmmm:

:Namaste:

@Blazinjones.....like Gray I'm not familiar with your viperspectra600 but recently looked at its site to help someone else out. They at least publish a PAR chart unlike many mfrs. However, for a 600w light the PAR chart shows very low numbers, & a likely good explanation of why you are not getting the flower results you want. :Namaste:

so uthink thts y I'm not gettn frosty buds maybe??

@Blazinjones.....like Gray I'm not familiar with your viperspectra600 but recently looked at its site to help someone else out. They at least publish a PAR chart unlike many mfrs. However, for a 600w light the PAR chart shows very low numbers, & a likely good explanation of why you are not getting the flower results you want. :Namaste:

Blazin'J
The good news is ...
You are now growing skillfully enough that you are limitted by your light.

I'm at right at 50W per square foot in flower - but since mine are HPS watts, I imagine my flower area is underpowered.
Still, I'm on track to harvest enough to smoke only homegrown - and that's all I really want right now :)

so uthink thts y I'm not gettn frosty buds maybe??

That's the likely culprit, yes. And if you just move it closer, you'll lose canopy coverage. I wouldn't necessarily go big with the spending, but I'd double that wattage if it's doable.

Hey blazing if I were u I would look on the Amazon and get a 6 inch or 8 inch inline duct booster fan from ventech or vivosun. They are only 25 bucks and I use several of them they can give u good airflow into your tent. Since u have a heat issue and a light shortage issue I wouldn't go crazy with the spending on expensive fans or lights like gray tail mentioned until u know u will be able to control the extra heat the extra light won't help if ur temps are above 80 85℉.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom