Relaxed's Outdoor Medical Grow - 2017

Hey Buddy, the girls are looking SWEET. Very nice.

Thank you buddy! It was the first nice day we had in awhile. Spring is my favorite time of year hands down :adore:

Drive bye.... Looks like they are starting to green up abit... I know that SC is a big time eater of nitrogen.. They are looking alot better,
Keepem Green

Drive bye.... Looks like they are starting to green up abit... I know that SC is a big time eater of nitrogen.. They are looking alot better,
Keepem Green

Yes indeed! I fed them the Doggett and Simpson Growology Step 2 prior to the transplant. It fixed them right up as always. That D&S stuff, although not organic, has dug me out of some sticky situations, so to speak ;)

I had been looking at the 2 week forecast and noticed no storms and a gradual warm up. Spring is finally here, we are exceeding the predicted temps and finally back into regular growth mode for awhile I think. I hope JD and SDD veg a little bit before flowering, they should!

IMG_80592.JPG

Now time to dig through my seed stash and attempt to germinate. :Namaste:

So far so good!

I had thought my clones were gonna die, for some reason they weren't looking good. Now they seem to be starting to grow. I thought I was gonna lose the Swiss Cheese, but it looks like things are gonna pull through. I wasn't sure, so I decided to germinate some seeds.

Some OG Kush, and the special Unknown#1 that was used to cross the ol' Underdawg that I'm no longer growing at the moment.

Aside that, we have nice spring temps (high 70s) and the Spring batch is doing well. Swiss Cheese is power flowering as normal; I think that's one of the reasons it's getting more difficult to clone now that I'm like 30X generations down the line. All of that flowering protein is building up throughout the generations.

Hope all is well in your worlds.

:Namaste:

I recently saw a picture of a top level NorCal breeder's mother room. Powered by 5000w he keeps ~100 mother cuts dating back to the '80's. He says he changes them all out every 6-8 months. Can you still get fresh Swiss Cheese seeds to start anew?

So he has been taking clones of clones of clones, etc. since the 1980s? That would be truly remarkable.

I've definitely heard of growers needing to sprout new/fresh seeds every so often to replenish the vigor.

Yeah, SC is still listed on Herbies, ! Nirvana Swiss Cheese Seeds - Herbies Seeds. It's out of stock right now, but I don't plan on buying any more in the future, I still have other strains that I'll be willing to experiment with.

I can say for sure I got the true bang for my buck when I spent 25$ on 10 regular seeds several years ago. Found a pheno and just kept cloning it. Worked nice :volcano-smiley: And the reason I got it was for its mold resistance genetics which seemed to work perfect for humid ocean growing

Just wanted to very briefly go over the phenomenon occurring here with the clones.

What is occurring is cell programmed death (apoptosis), similar to when the leaves die off during the fall transition. This time, the plant calculated the energy required to survive. The cells were under an immense amount of stress trying to create critical proteins and enzymes to be able to form new roots during the cloning process, it isolated a certain portion of itself as "harvestable material", in other words, it destroyed and killed very many of its own cells located in the high surface area and thin fan leaf.

However, most of the sugar and complex carbohydrates (e.g., starch) is stored in the petiole portion. During the death of the fan leaves, cell programmed death takes place, hydrolyzing and cleaving up the sugars and reaping them for their energy, funneled to the root site (in the form of glucose). Now that it reached the petioles, enough energy was able to "balance the books" to provide the root growth (as well as hormone synthesis which requires energy).

Clearly the plant can make a very calculated move when faced with life or death decisions, however this process is conserved among all eukaryotes from yeast to mammals. Now that there is a tap root, the plant can now effectively upregulate energy producing processes (photosynthesis) by being able to bring critical water molecules up from the tap root to the leaf locations.

During the cloning process, the plant is forced to minimize photosynthesis (due to lack of water influx), and initiate self-cannabalistic tendencies, harvesting its own stored nutrients and reallocating them to critical regions. This is one of the reasons why plants are such successful lifeforms, their ability to generate food from sunlight, and call upon it when needed to regrow new limbs and reproduction assemblies sequentially. Humans cannot regrow arms and legs, and other body parts on call. So who really has really fine-tuned life better? Plants or animals?

:volcano-smiley:

SDD clone
IMG_80713.JPG

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is the OG Kush coming up
IMG_80725.JPG

Howdy HiddenGrow

I usually have Spring plants released by now, but like you said, with the crazy weather, I've had to hold off until now. For Spring flowers, they begin to flower naturally, and in fact they get mostly through flower if not fully on their own. So with these plants I'm probably looking at a late April harvest. Sometimes I push them across the finish line with light deprivation since the days are getting longer and longer, and they eventually notice with extra leaf growth instead of bud.

So, about the time I harvest the Spring crop, I will be releasing the summer crop which will be force flowered by light deprivation (I just bring them in/out of the dark at certain time each day). And so on, when the summer crop gets harvested, I release the fall crop for natural flowering (since the days will be decreasing after the summer solstice).

Usually I can get 2 Summer crops in with light deprivation, since they flower quite rapidly under those conditions.

I really had to process this. You get 4 harvests naturally in a year? Imma be taking notes on light dep now. Just wondering if you plant some girls in the earth. It gets deadly hot and I am not sure if I have the experience to grow in pots in the summer. :thanks:

I really had to process this. You get 4 harvests naturally in a year? Imma be taking notes on light dep now. Just wondering if you plant some girls in the earth. It gets deadly hot and I am not sure if I have the experience to grow in pots in the summer. :thanks:

I grow only in pots/containers. Makes it easier to control nutrients, wet/dry cycles, and light deprivation, etc. It's just my personal preference. If I had the privacy and luxury to grow monsters, I would, but I don't have that luxury. So, small to medium sized plants are just fine.

Harvests a year:

- 1 winter crop
- 1-2 spring crops
- 1-2 summer crops
- 1-2 fall crops

Depends on how things go, in general I just try to keep harvesting all year round by releasing a small batch at about the same time that a new batch is cloned. It's the only way I can harvest enough to keep me going given the small plants I grow. A measly 3 crops a year does not do much when growing small/medium plants, hence the need for light deprivation ;)

I grow only in pots/containers. Makes it easier to control nutrients, wet/dry cycles, and light deprivation, etc. It's just my personal preference. If I had the privacy and luxury to grow monsters, I would, but I don't have that luxury. So, small to medium sized plants are just fine.

Harvests a year:

- 1 winter crop
- 1-2 spring crops
- 1-2 summer crops
- 1-2 fall crops

Depends on how things go, in general I just try to keep harvesting all year round by releasing a small batch at about the same time that a new batch is cloned. It's the only way I can harvest enough to keep me going given the small plants I grow. A measly 3 crops a year does not do much when growing small/medium plants, hence the need for light deprivation ;)

I will keep that in mind. I know a master when I see one. Come to think of it that technique is the same for planting seasonal vegetables. I'll try my luck this year. :thanks:

Flowering nicely, after the next pot-dry-out I will plan to brew a flowering booster tea by Dr. Earth.
IMG_80785.JPG

The new clones have been repotted into fresh soil (1 SC, 2 SDD, 1 JD)
IMG_80795.JPG

The OG Kush seedlings, maybe we'll find a keeper
IMG_80806.JPG

Busy busy,,, you been steadily cranking for a long time.... I see you still got SC going.. It's working for ya I take it.. You ever do any autos? Man people been doing some sick short autos, under 3'. I know I'm going to play with afew of these freebies I've acquired this last year or so.. I think they might be the ticket for outdoors growers around here.. I'm to lazy to move them pots around anymore.. As much as I wish I could,,, but it sure hurts to grow a beauty monster out,, and acouple weeks before the harvest,,,,rot rears her ugly head... And 3 days later it's everywhere.. If a person had a decent supply of seed of a good strain that works for someone,,, shit it should be a easy rotation.. I've always shyed from auto because of the genetics, it's beginnings come from some damn near froozen Russian place,, and it's quality,, well wasn't any.. But after seeing how far beeders have come with it,, might be worth a shot??
Man still saddens me about Pop's.... Keepem Green

Amazing!!!! As a new grower I have a question. At any point did the discolouration (brown, yellow) on the leaves cause concern for you?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Looking good - I expect to see Methuselah photos any week now :)

He's getting increasingly feisty, have to make sure he doesn't come along and eat my stuff. :laughtwo:

Busy busy,,, you been steadily cranking for a long time.... I see you still got SC going.. It's working for ya I take it.. You ever do any autos? Man people been doing some sick short autos, under 3'. I know I'm going to play with afew of these freebies I've acquired this last year or so.. I think they might be the ticket for outdoors growers around here.. I'm to lazy to move them pots around anymore.. As much as I wish I could,,, but it sure hurts to grow a beauty monster out,, and acouple weeks before the harvest,,,,rot rears her ugly head... And 3 days later it's everywhere.. If a person had a decent supply of seed of a good strain that works for someone,,, shit it should be a easy rotation.. I've always shyed from auto because of the genetics, it's beginnings come from some damn near froozen Russian place,, and it's quality,, well wasn't any.. But after seeing how far beeders have come with it,, might be worth a shot??
Man still saddens me about Pop's.... Keepem Green

The SC clone line is near the end in terms of vigor. It's getting harder and harder to clone, it wants to flower really early, I've had SC buds finish in 40-42 days, it's probably faster than any autoflower LOL. The ol' KC-45 I grew was supposed to be an autoflower, it grew for 7 months before flowering.
IMG_33973.JPG

It was weird, that year. That plant was planted from seed in a January, then in March - half of the plant flowered (the top cola only), while the other portion of the LST did not flower. So I harvested the top, then the rest of the plant vegetated all spring/summer. KC-45 was a strange one.

Yeah, the trick is to harvest all spring/summer so to minimize rot loss, that's also a factor for me. Know you can't lug the pots around anymore, but GL with the autos. Although I never grew them, I'd suspect the buds would be a lot leafier if grown outdoors. Evolutionarily speaking, autoflowers are an amazing feat. Discovered a pathway to circumvent the light change requirement for flower initiation, a gene coming from a chaotic and competitive time, must drop the seeds before hell freezes over early. ;)

Amazing!!!! As a new grower I have a question. At any point did the discolouration (brown, yellow) on the leaves cause concern for you?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Welcome lightswitch,

Yes, if you're talking about the dead/dying leaf matter on the little clones. I was very concerned that the plant wouldn't survive, particularly because it may have not had enough energy to do the job (the reason why was killing those fan leaves), the energy books were balanced and thus it survived. But that's not always the case...

If the plant cells are committing apoptosis it is a calculated programmed cell death, either they can cope or they will succumb to the stress of having to grow a completely new tissue type (e.g,. go from a stem to a root).

Hey Lester,, you wanna look at something intresting??? I attempted to grow one last year,,, I jumped the gun and she started flowering at like 6'... Reveg of that size means problems to me,, so I culled her. It was S.A.D. Fast verson. If ya do alittle surfing around, it lists it's genetics and they added a autoflower, I guess how they speeded up flowering times to around 7 weeks give or take a week, with their claims anyways.. But it has auto in it,, yet they say it expresses photoperiod plants.. Sound like anything?
Buy Black Jack FAST Version Feminised Seeds | Sweet Seeds | Seedsman

K.C. 45(R) – K.C. Brains Seeds Holland

I rememeber the trouble you had with it,, as I did.. Keepem Green

Back
Top Bottom