The Battle - Indica vs Sativa

And the rest of the gang :) They are currently taking up a 1.2 x 1.2 meter space

IMG_2652_1_.JPG
IMG_2653_1_.JPG
IMG_2654_1_.JPG
IMG_2655_1_.JPG
IMG_2656_1_.JPG

:cheer:

I think I have found the problem. And a very simple on indeed - Light Distance! For some reason, when setting up the 250 watt HPS I had it sitting 19 inches above the plants.

The 600 watt HPS sits 18 inches above... After a quick look at some charts, it seems that the light was too high for the plants to be getting little if any use-able light.

So after a bit of a face palm moment, the light is lowered and hopefully business as usual ;)

My grow has been slow with all. Now coming along fine. I dont think i will be able to lst mine as now pre-flowers showing and side branches are not long enough to tie down. I have the easy task of turning my plants on a regular basis plus the sunlight reflects off the window behind. An no topping either.

If you gonna get an led mono then just add that. More light = more fatter denser bigger buds.

My grow has been slow with all. Now coming along fine. I dont think i will be able to lst mine as now pre-flowers showing and side branches are not long enough to tie down. I have the easy task of turning my plants on a regular basis plus the sunlight reflects off the window behind. An no topping either.

If you gonna get an led mono then just add that. More light = more fatter denser bigger buds.

It's always easier to manage the light when you have the power of the sun ;) I'm considering LED, but I really do like the HPS, so might just invest in a newer, more efficient HPS system :):)

This might sound strange or counter-productive, but drop your humidity to around 40% if you can.

I can only speak about my own experience, but I've noticed that when my humidity is high like yours the plants don't drink as much. As a result, they don't grow as quickly. I've tested this more than once, and each time I let the humidity drop the plants drink more and grow faster.

It's always easier to manage the light when you have the power of the sun ;) I'm considering LED, but I really do like the HPS, so might just invest in a newer, more efficient HPS system :):)

I was also looking into the whole LED vs HPS setup and for sure my next setup would be HPS. Just seen some really great results with them, speaking about your monsters you grew. Difficult to justify spending so much for the LED when HPS is also very good :adore:

I was also looking into the whole LED vs HPS setup and for sure my next setup would be HPS. Just seen some really great results with them, speaking about your monsters you grew. Difficult to justify spending so much for the LED when HPS is also very good :adore:

Everyone has their own views on LED and HPS. Years ago LED's were rubbish, far too pricey and a waste of time. Now they seem to be quite good, not too pricey and people get good results. They also have the advantage of not kicking out masses of heat like the HPS does. So 1000W LED v 1000W HPS would probably yield very similar results but i reckon temps would be easier to keep under control with the LED. Also would i be right in thinking that LED's would be cheaper to run? I could be wrong.

I have grown with HPS and in the future i would do so again but at the moment i have the BEST light of all - the sun! Just wish it would make an appearance as since the heatwave we had it has been covered by clouds with plenty of rain. Am glad my crop isn't into or too far into budding as bud rot could be a problem. Hopefully i will get out to see them today.

Is there a reason to trimming some of the big fan leaves? Is it neccessary for outdoor grown plants?
I do it for a couple of reasons - gets them out of the way if they are hanging over a bud site or just generally in the way, the leaf continues to function as intended so it's a little less stressful than removing the leaves completely.

Outdoors, I wouldn't recommend trimming anything that isn't dead or diseased ;)

HPS was the light of choice when I moved from my humble beginnings with CFL. They do produce a good harvest, and are generally easy to grow with if you can control the heat...

Seems everyone is running LED grow lights these days, HPS growers are few and far between...

Everyone has their own views on LED and HPS. Years ago LED's were rubbish, far too pricey and a waste of time. Now they seem to be quite good, not too pricey and people get good results. They also have the advantage of not kicking out masses of heat like the HPS does. So 1000W LED v 1000W HPS would probably yield very similar results but i reckon temps would be easier to keep under control with the LED. Also would i be right in thinking that LED's would be cheaper to run? I could be wrong.

I have grown with HPS and in the future i would do so again but at the moment i have the BEST light of all - the sun! Just wish it would make an appearance as since the heatwave we had it has been covered by clouds with plenty of rain. Am glad my crop isn't into or too far into budding as bud rot could be a problem. Hopefully i will get out to see them today.

I've always wondered how a 1kw grow light can use more or less electricity than the other. I mean, from my university course years ago - 1kw of electricity over the course of an hour is the same amount whether it comes from a tv, radio, light etc.

I'm sure the LED must draw less power than the HPS for them to be cheaper to run, and they will certainly be cooler than the HPS, although I have noticed LED users seem to hang their lights REALLY high above the plants so they might not be well suited to anyone with height limitations.

:high-five:

I will do a good update this evening ;) The auto's are perking up a bit more now they are under the 600 watt light, although I have always hated growing auto's and this time is no different haha.

OG Kush and Delicious Candy are due a transplant up from their 8 litre pots to 20 litre pots. I will let them sit in these for a couple of weeks before transplanting up to the fabric pots.

Last run - Moving from the 30 litre to 50 litre fabric pots didn't seem to make much difference, and they are a real pain to get out of the pots. This time I think I am going to go straight from plastic tub to 50 litre fabric pot, giving them two to three weeks in them before switching to flowering.

I've always wondered how a 1kw grow light can use more or less electricity than the other. I mean, from my university course years ago - 1kw of electricity over the course of an hour is the same amount whether it comes from a tv, radio, light etc.

I'm sure the LED must draw less power than the HPS for them to be cheaper to run, and they will certainly be cooler than the HPS, although I have noticed LED users seem to hang their lights REALLY high above the plants so they might not be well suited to anyone with height limitations.

I agree that 1kw is 1kw no matter what is using it and it will still cost the same price. I think that LED's that output 1000W dont actually draw that amount of power. I did read somewhere that somone was using xxW for LED's but the output equalled more than the power it was using. Am no scientist but that does seem plausible and i could have misread it. If i find the post or website that shows this then i will repost. I am not here to disuad anyone from using either system, just posting facts.

As for hanging LED really high is this higher than HPS? If you have the room and money then perhaps use another source of light from the side(s). Helps penetrate bud sites lower down the canopy thus increasing yields

High Mono!:peacetwo:
I thought I would chime in on the led vs hps discussion. my 2 cents.
It seems that the discussion is around wattage.
We know that wattage isn't an indicator of output, but consumption.
PAR and PPFD is what we should use to determine how much of those "watts" are reaching the plants and how much of it in a given area.
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom