Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

SteveHman said:
I absolutely believe in a person's right to make money and gladly will pay for the knowledge and expertise, but paying $8 a qt for molasses is insane (when a gal is $6).

BPN, keep up the great work and reasonable prices and I am sure the 420 community will help keep those bills paid and food on the table. One quick question, botanicare says not to use strapped in an aerated or recirculating hydro system because of foaming and added microbial growth. Should I not use it in my system? (molasses, not strapped)

NO! Molasses and hydro DO NOT MIX! Go read my molasses blog entry, Steve!

NO! Molasses and hydro DO NOT MIX! Go read my molasses blog entry, Steve!
But what if you're running beneficials in the system? I think in my recirc it may work, but not 100% sure (or an undercurrent maybe). Not using it in my aero system because of clogging issues, I'll stick with Uncle John's blend for this one.

If you have beneficials you have to feed them something.

Does anyone know what the primary active ingredient (s) is in "Home and Garden's Roots Excellerator"? That stuff costs a fortune but damn if it doesn't do wonders for speeding things up in an aerocloner!

I would love to learn the secret of what is in that stuff and start making my own for pennies on the dollar. ;)

Anyone know?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Molasses....it will cause an explosion of microbial growth. It is full of vitamins, nutrients, and sugar. Anyway, molasses in hydroponics can have mixed results...depending on the amount used, it CAN foam up really badly, and can provide fuel for some nasty microbial growth if bad microbes are present in your system. In soil....molasses is badass...hands down. I would stay away from molasses in hydroponic systems due to the mixed results I have seen in a number of grows.

Anyway, back to the rootzone products. copper sulfate can absolutely poison a plant if the levels are too high and will kill it really fast. but copper is a necessary nutrient for plant growth. the potassium nitrate in rootzone is just that: potassium and nitrogen in the form of a nitrate anion. plants of course need both nitrogen and potassium so of course it will benefit bud production. My bloom booster has only 2 ingredients...monopotassium phosphate and potassium nitrate :)

Home and Garden's root excelerator....its ingredients are kept secret so who knows...I wish I did, that is good stuff. I am guessing that it is full of B-vitamins and some indole-3-butyric acid and/or other rooting hormones.
THose chemicals are a little tougher to find for the average joe.

Copper sulfate is easy to find and purchase and saltpeter (KNO3) is easy to get as well. I don't know if the salt peter that is found on store shelves is as good as greenhouse grade stuff that is used in food production and hydroponics.

I have to get some sleep and will post some recipes on making your own DM root zone when I have some more time to properly formulate it :)

Home and Garden's root excelerator....its ingredients are kept secret so who knows...I wish I did, that is good stuff. I am guessing that it is full of B-vitamins and some indole-3-butyric acid and/or other rooting hormones.

Thanks for the info BPN! :thanks:

The B vitamin theory makes sense cause whenever I open that aluminum bottle to add some of this magic elixer to my Turbo Klone, that unmistakeable VITAMIN SMELL hits you right in the nose! ;)

They definitely have created a real mystique about that product! But one thing is for sure...

You can't argue with the results! :thumb:

I am always amazed at how fast that stuff can change cuttings with some hints of white root buds, to half inch root spikes literally overnight in some cases! :thedoubletake:

Still... Having to lay out over $70.00 for that small little metal bottle is always hard to swallow! Especially when the bottle isn't even filled to the top! I know they go by weight not volume, but still! I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I look in there and see how little an amount you get for so much $$!

It would be awesome if YOU could come up with something that works as well but sells for a fraction of the price! :thumb:

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with regarding the home made DM Root Zone! I'm a big fan of "Make Your Own" boosters, flushes etc.

Still can't get over the fact that Clearex is nothing more than some Dextrose, Table Sugar, Sodium Benzoate and water! I've started making my own now, and its laughable how cheap it is to make yourself! A quart of Clearex sells for $15.00. It costs me less than a buck to make the same amount. Would be even cheaper if I had been able to find the Dextrose and Sodium Benzoate locally and saved on the shipping charges which were more than the product itself! :laughtwo:

Thanks again for all you help and input around here! I'm always impressed when a 420 sponsor rolls up their sleeves and gets involved at the community level as much as you do! :bravo:

I'll be using the BPN product I received from the July POTM contest next year in some of my first indoor/outdoor grows of 2012! :thumb:

Molasses....it will cause an explosion of microbial growth. It is full of vitamins, nutrients, and sugar. Anyway, molasses in hydroponics can have mixed results...depending on the amount used, it CAN foam up really badly, and can provide fuel for some nasty microbial growth if bad microbes are present in your system. In soil....molasses is badass...hands down. I would stay away from molasses in hydroponic systems due to the mixed results I have seen in a number of grows.

Anyway, back to the rootzone products. copper sulfate can absolutely poison a plant if the levels are too high and will kill it really fast. but copper is a necessary nutrient for plant growth. the potassium nitrate in rootzone is just that: potassium and nitrogen in the form of a nitrate anion. plants of course need both nitrogen and potassium so of course it will benefit bud production. My bloom booster has only 2 ingredients...monopotassium phosphate and potassium nitrate :)

Copper sulfate is easy to find and purchase and saltpeter (KNO3) is easy to get as well. I don't know if the salt peter that is found on store shelves is as good as greenhouse grade stuff that is used in food production and hydroponics.

I have to get some sleep and will post some recipes on making your own DM root zone when I have some more time to properly formulate it :)

Great info Blue Planet - thanks for sharing. Cool idea on the Zone recipe. :thumb:

I do think there's a potential product idea there. Doesn't seem like they have a lot of competition for that sort of thing.

Thanks for the info BPN! :thanks:

The B vitamin theory makes sense cause whenever I open that aluminum bottle to add some of this magic elixer to my Turbo Klone, that unmistakeable VITAMIN SMELL hits you right in the nose! ;)

They definitely have created a real mystique about that product! But one thing is for sure...

You can't argue with the results! :thumb:

I am always amazed at how fast that stuff can change cuttings with some hints of white root buds, to half inch root spikes literally overnight in some cases! :thedoubletake:

Still... Having to lay out over $70.00 for that small little metal bottle is always hard to swallow! Especially when the bottle isn't even filled to the top! I know they go by weight not volume, but still! I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I look in there and see how little an amount you get for so much $$!

It would be awesome if YOU could come up with something that works as well but sells for a fraction of the price! :thumb:

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with regarding the home made DM Root Zone! I'm a big fan of "Make Your Own" boosters, flushes etc.

Still can't get over the fact that Clearex is nothing more than some Dextrose, Table Sugar, Sodium Benzoate and water! I've started making my own now, and its laughable how cheap it is to make yourself! A quart of Clearex sells for $15.00. It costs me less than a buck to make the same amount. Would be even cheaper if I had been able to find the Dextrose and Sodium Benzoate locally and saved on the shipping charges which were more than the product itself! :laughtwo:

Thanks again for all you help and input around here! I'm always impressed when a 420 sponsor rolls up their sleeves and gets involved at the community level as much as you do! :bravo:

I'll be using the BPN product I received from the July POTM contest next year in some of my first indoor/outdoor grows of 2012! :thumb:

Heya GG7 -

Okay, wait. Where'd you get the Clearex info? I'm interested in that! Do you have a link or a post - was it here and I missed it? Do tell! :)

I think you'll like the Blue Planet Nutes - at least in veg, the growth is perfect now that I'm getting the hang of it. Picture perfect. Speaking of which, I'll try to post a few more pics tomorrow.

Grow Update, Sept. 8:

Blue Planet nutrients are working perfectly so far in conjunction with the Flo N Gro. At the moment the new growth is producing some of the healthiest looking vegging plants I've ever seen. The Skywalkers look like they came from a diagram, and one of the Lucy's is vegging beautifully too.

I'm running at about 550ppm on the vegging plants in the Flo N Grow, and about 350ppm on the Chocolope. (Oakton meter with .7 conversion)

The Lavender and Magic Bud both have beautiful new growth, but they are a bit behind the aggressively vegging Skywalkers and the one Lucy.

Chocolope is starting to take off, but it's more than a week behind and a lot smaller. It got burned a little, but still growing healthy.

Environmental info: Pretty steady 75-77f temps. RH about 58-60%. Loving the control I have right now, but worry a bit about heat when I go to HPS bulbs. Hopefully it will cool down some outside soon...

Pics tomorrow!

:bong:

P.S. Love the conversation about nutrient supplements and the chemistry involved. Who knows, maybe I can get talked into mixing up something of my own someday. ;) Clearex sure sounds simple!

Heya GG7 -

Okay, wait. Where'd you get the Clearex info? I'm interested in that! Do you have a link or a post - was it here and I missed it? Do tell! :)

I think you'll like the Blue Planet Nutes - at least in veg, the growth is perfect now that I'm getting the hang of it. Picture perfect. Speaking of which, I'll try to post a few more pics tomorrow.

Here ya' go, Brother...courtesy of GG7! :)

GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Heya GG7 -

Sure! Here it is! :)

When I get a chance, I am going to take some photos of the various ingredients along with the mixing process and post them along with the following recipe on my main grow journal :)

HomeMade 2x Clearex
This recipe makes 2 liters worth which should last most home growers an entire season

Combine the following dry ingredients in a saucepan along with 2 Liters of Fresh RO Water...

120 grams of Dextrose (I use Coopers Brand - Used for Beer Making)
60 grams of Sucrose (Your Common White Table Sugar)
1.5 grams Sodium Benzoate (* Optional as a preservative)
1-2 drops of Green or Blue Food Coloring (For Effect! + Makes it Obvious It Isn't Just Plain Water)

In order to fully dissolve the Sodium Benzoate into solution, I heat the mixture to 200 degrees on the stovetop. This ensures that all of the sugars and preservative are dissolved evenly into solution.

* If you keep the mixture in the freezer till needed, you can skip adding the preservative. But BE WARNED! Sugar water grows bacteria like gang-busters so you either freeze the product till needed or use the preservative. I prefer to use the preservative so I can store the finished product at room temperature indefinitely along with all my commercial additives.

Just like the commercial version, you use 15ml of this mixture per gallon of water for flushing.

Enjoy! :thumb:

If I hadn't just repped you, GG7, I'd rep you again. ;) Fantastic! I do believe I may try that sometime. GREAT info and post. :thumb:

Oh, and by the way, I see someone just gave a 5 star rating for my journal -- whoever you are, thank you! I'll do my best to live up to that. :)

If I hadn't just repped you, GG7, I'd rep you again. ;) Fantastic! I do believe I may try that sometime. GREAT info and post. :thumb:

Oh, and by the way, I see someone just gave a 5 star rating for my journal -- whoever you are, thank you! I'll do my best to live up to that. :)

My pleasure! :circle-of-love:

The stuff works just as well as the commercial product, AND it doesn't have that obnoxious SMELL that the commercial Clearex has in it. I was always worried that whatever that "scent" was they add would end up in my buds! It smells like the same scent they put into "Ben Gay", whatever that scent is? All I know is that I personally can't stand it! :loopy:

Thanks for the reps! :thumb:

Make that four 5 stars. More to come I am sure. :thumb:

:thanks: Smoke2Js.

To everyone else: If you haven't seen Smoke2Js Magic Garden, you are really missing something. :yummy:

We need a thread in the DIY section for the home-recipes. I am sure BPN has a few he can contribute as well. Simply amazing how easy it is to make a lot of these at home, for 10% of what they cost. I'd rep you again GG7, but it's telling me to spread the love around before I can do it again. Thanks ***** (5-stars)

We need a thread in the DIY section for the home-recipes. I am sure BPN has a few he can contribute as well. Simply amazing how easy it is to make a lot of these at home, for 10% of what they cost. I'd rep you again GG7, but it's telling me to spread the love around before I can do it again. Thanks ***** (5-stars)

I LOVE that IDEA!! :thumb:

I know that there are a lot of 420 folks out there on a fixed income that can't afford a lot of these fancy commercial products, but who's grows could definitely benefit from having access to some of these formulations.

I'd support such a thread 100%!

:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom