Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

:circle-of-love:<<Sigh...>>:adore:

These 2, me, and one night's time...

That'd be a helluva night! That particular Lavender top is as big around as a beer can, and super dense. Her tops are getting too heavy to stand on their own, so I've had to really get creative with string and twist ties. I'm really excited about this harvest! Thanks for sticking with me on this grow and all the props. You're a good guy, supportive, and I'm really glad you stuck around. :thumb:

Grow Update - Day 59 Bloom

• Started flushing a couple of days ago. Will be harvesting Magic Bud and some of the more mature tops soon. Due to company and Thanksgiving, we'll have limited opportunities to harvest, so we're going to try to stage it some and hope that we can get a little more development for the lower budsites after harvesting some of the tops and the Magic Bud...
  • Sampled some of the Lucy last night... I was really pleased with the taste and the high, especially for having quick-dryed it. I got good and giggly afterward, and had a really nice night! Assuming it improves as it should with curing, I can see this being a favorite quickly.
  • I got an interesting Lucy pheno, that I've read about but haven't seen as much - the pistils don't really brown as much as they turn a light pinkish/beige color. This pheno is supposed to be a quicker finisher than the others, and I believe it - there were a fair amount of amber trichomes present when I checked her last night. It's a bit early to tell on the flavor completely, but there seemed to be a hint of lemon (maybe more like lemongrass) to it. Gave wife and I both a great high!

Some pics I took last night quick just before lights on:

Lucy tops (couple of Skywalker in the front, and a Lavender far left):
nov_20_4.jpg

Lavender:
nov_20_1.jpg

Lavender and Lucy:
nov_20_2.jpg

Lucy (hard to tell, but a lot of her pistils have turned - albeit to a light beige/pink...)
nov_20_3.jpg

Lavender:
nov_20_5.jpg

Mix (Lavender to the left, Lucy middle and back, Skywalker to the right):
nov_20_6.jpg

Wooooo! Thats some heavy heads :thumb:

Well, as I near the end of this round...

I've also almost finished my stash of Big Bang Auto - I saved a couple of the nicer looking nugs for last. Took a couple of pictures of her as a final tribute to her - she was a helluva plant, really great medicine, and yummy to the end (tasted a little like sour apples first hit, cotton candy after that!)

Here's a shot of my last couple 'o nugs of her:

Big Bang Auto:
big_bang_auto_nug.jpg

big_bang_auto_nug2.jpg

:bong:

Hey XLR8!
I've been peeking in from time to time, and decided to jump in. You've really done a great job with the Flo N Gro and BPN. Your beautifully budded ladies look XLent! Looking forward to the thrill of Jill. Lots of good interesting info and conversation. Top notch journal. I wish I had more time!
:bravo:

:thanks: Tricome!

Really nice of you to drop by and perk me up like that! I'm sure enjoying this grow and can't wait to grow that Jilly Bean. I'm blessed with having some really knowledgeable growers and flat out nice people in my thread, and I'm glad to add you as one of them. I'll always remember that we joined 420mag only days apart if I remember correctly. Though I lurked more than participated for the first year or so. :)

I know what you mean about time - never enough of it!

Sorry that I almost missed replying to your very nice post earlier today... :oops:

Very nice tribute to Big Bang Auto. I can't even imagine her perfume.

Thanks Twelve. Think sour apples for her smell, too. I'll probably grow a reg. Big Bang down the road - I know I'll end up missing her. I'm already grieving a bit. She blew away any pre-conceptions I had regarding autoflowers, for sure. :)

Hey Buddy. :circle-of-love:

That is one fine group of beauties you have!:cheer:

Glad you like the Lucy......I thought you would! :bravo:

Thanks OMM. :)

Yes, gonna like Lucy a lot me thinks! :circle-of-love:

Hi X,

Wow, it took me some time to catch up on things...looking really good in that tent. Sounds like your harvest will be bountiful...enjoy

Can you elaborate on the "foxtail" comment? I don't get it. What exactly are we looking at? They just look different to me, but I figure it's because they are different strains...

:peace:

Can you elaborate on the "foxtail" comment? I don't get it. What exactly are we looking at? They just look different to me, but I figure it's because they are different strains...
Let me try: In late flowering when the colas are well formed, ragged eruptions bursting out are foxtails. They are more of the florets that we prize, but signal a harvest day postponement while they too mature. Some strains are worse than others.
Or better :smokin:

Hi X,

Wow, it took me some time to catch up on things...looking really good in that tent. Sounds like your harvest will be bountiful...enjoy

:peace:

Let me try: In late flowering when the colas are well formed, ragged eruptions bursting out are foxtails. They are more of the florets that we prize, but signal a harvest day postponement while they too mature. Some strains are worse than others.
Or better :smokin:

Propa summed it up nicely - late burst of flowers that tend to build on top of other flowers even if the rest of the flowers are matured already (essentially).

I've had foxtailing a couple of times before, and I think it's probably something some strains/phenos are pre-disposed to have if certain conditions exist. Personally, I suspect the commonality for me has to do with light intensity/heat/low RH stress. I think it's probably more likely to be expressed with a stress condition of some sort - those are my suspects (I've also heard irregular lighting cycles can trigger it). Having said that, it's not the worst type of stress reaction by far - almost a benefit when you consider that the plants are making more flowers as a result of end of life stresses.

I've also noticed that sometimes they foxtail in bursts almost like a second round of flowering before they stop again, and sometimes they continually foxtail -- at some point you just need to listen to the mature majority of the plant because it will seemingly foxtail indefinitely.

Okay, before finishing this post I decided to do a little research fact-finding mission. I found a nice post by TGA Subcool on the subject of lighting. Subcool is a pioneer of modern Cannabis breeding and writes columns for a number of cannabis related publications. He's also authored a couple of great books with some of the most beautiful cannabis pictures I've ever seen. Oh, and the guy responsible for "Jilly Bean" which Quix and I have been gushing about growing. ;)

From Subcool:

"Much has changed in the field of lighting and you must be careful not to place these super efficient grow bulbs to close to the canopy. Light intensity can cause fox tailing or dreading of the buds and hot spots in the center of the canopy. Keep your high tech hoods and bulbs located at 16-18” above the canopy. Some plants actually perform better and yield more with this height. Sativa strains are very susceptible to this fox tailing trait and the vented hoods allow a grower to keep his hoods very close. This is a wrong application!"

With the cross-over between the two hoods, I'm throwing 800w at them near the center, and I really believe I need to keep a bit greater distance next time, though I'm certainly not unhappy with this grow or the results I'll get.

I think it's probably more likely to be expressed with a stress condition of some sort - those are my suspects (I've also heard irregular lighting cycles can trigger it). Having said that, it's not the worst type of stress reaction by far
Somewhere in the archives, I read some old know-it-all scolding a grower for giving late-stage plants too much nitrogen. He said that quality was sacraficed for quantity. I say eff him, bigger is better and more is merrier but... where or when does it end?

Hmmm. That makes some sense to me too - specifically, the Lucy was very nitrogen sensitive, and perhaps would have done better with a bit less. One of the hazards of growing multiple strains in one system using same res/nutes I suppose. Thanks for adding that, Propa. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom