CajunCelt's Sativa - Medical - 12 Strains - Last of 2014

re: CajunCelt's Sativa/Medical - 12 Strains, Last of 2014

I turned this thing on Jason & pointed it out to the woods outside. It was pretty enlightening to see how far it projected! Impressive. Tough too. I dropped it on the COB side & was deciding how to tell you, but it fired right up.
I'm impressed so far.
It's going up against a comparable wattage Plantmaster bulb & Lumatech digital ballast. I believe it won't be able to keep up with the HID, but if it can give me a reasonable yield I will consider this a success.
If it out performs my expectancies, I will be outward & excited.
I'm frankly still blown away that I'm using a LED light & am excited to settle the infamous debate if only to myself.

Do to the light movers and the position of my big girl I can say that the left side which gets the most HID in addition to the LED shows more stretch but otherwise everything else is very similar in terms of resin production and growth. When it's time to make oil I'm going to create with two batches - an equal amount from left side vs. an equal amount from right side to see how the oil production compares for identical dry weights. I suspect it will be very close. Never planned to eliminate HID anyway - just wanted to supplement with LED for energy savings since 1 HID generates the perfect amount of heat in that space without requiring any supplemental cooling/heating.

That sounds good to me. I could combine the 2 tents & do that as well using the HPS to help out, but I've waited a long time to have a dog in this fight. I really want to see how the spectrum of LED & all its positives work. I'll make adjustments to later grows.
I think in the end the trees under LED will be tighter, denser nugs, but not the yield of the HID. So, it'll end up being an awesome "bud-finishing light" supplemented with the HID. That would be cool.

It's setup now. I'm going to play with hanging it still. I've checked out some journals of others using this light.

I put the germ'd seedlings under the light, & 5 minutes later this is what happened. Crazy.

IMG_20141030_172028148.jpg

Joking. I'm playing with the height still & don't want to fry any youngsters.
I'm transplanting the seedlings into their 2 gal veg pots in a day or so. I'll post pics after & keep an eye on everything for awhile.
I've pretty good advice from KJC & the new guys using this light. So, I've officially a foot in the LED tent. I frankly think I could use another one of these.

List of survivors (for my own record):

Super Lemon Haze, Green Cush, Chocolope Kush, Blue Dream, Purple Trainwreck, Blue Cheese, Snow White, Cheese Bomb, AK-47, S. Surfer Haze, Chocolope Kush & Snow Cap.

Quality lineup right there!

Transplanted all to their veg pots. Week 3, doing good.
Finally put together a cloner. I used a 5 gal bucket, Eco submersible pump, tubing/fittings & emittors.
Works awesome. I'll still use my 2 liters, but this adds a new dimension.

IMG_20141031_210747.jpg

IMG_20141031_175643942.jpg

The cloner. Not pretty, but it works awesome.

IMG_20141031_210859.jpg

IMG_20141031_173714249_HDR.jpg

Awesome work my friend , loving the big cloner :) busy times ahead for you! :)

Thanx LA. I've planned this thing for over a year, but my 2 liter clones worked so well, I never finished this.
I'll still do my coke bottle cloners, but this guy will be for serious plants.
Seems to work good. I ran dwc for 2 grows & sold it back so I think I can keep this cloner up n going.
How bout you bud? I'm always trying to keep up with your projects, but your a busy farmer.
What are you into nowadays? I really liked the method behind those Oxy Pots. Really great controller too seems. I could never afford something like that. Might fiddle with building a automated system with pots like that, but top feed. I'm settling on a few permanent strains as I mentioned (hence the big grows) so I'll be switching over to automated step by slow step.

I've planned/designed it, including parts list, for over a year, but didn't want different strains with too many different factors.
It's based on Capn's recirculating top feed, but I'll use 1 rez for 6 plants & my own soilless mix, not cubes like he does. Won't be until March when I'm outta here.

Anyway, keep it green bro.

IMG_20141102_115544.jpg

Veggers under the LED. It'll take some getting used to. I'm still playing with mounting heights too. The plants seem to dig the light, but there's little to no penetration. I see another reason the new guys are fluxing. It's perfect for LED.
I've always been concerned about too much intensity, but those must've been 5w because these are 3w & penetrate only inches.
I think I'll need another light. I'll keep watching.

I believe you Skunny. I've seen some LEDs hang pretty high due to intensity. This light doors not have that problem.

I keep/train my plants to have a low, flat flower canopy always anyhow. I'll definitely have to keep bud sites exposed.

So, I put the plants under both HID & LED until I get a new light & an interesting thing happened. After a few hours, all the plants were leaning towards the LED light?
That says a lot to me. There's obviously an element to LED the plants prefer. I believe for now it's the color spectrum. I'm really surprised. The plants under the LED he 2" taller in 3 days than the MH as well though this could just be the strains.

My opinion so far is that LED has developed enough that our beloved plant prefers it at this point in veg over the MH.
My former beliefs about LED at this point have been changed. I will be vegging with it as much as possible for small grows.

I hope this keeps up through later veg & obviously budding. We'll see. I'm trying to stay neutral & not get excited so I can be objective & factual. This is looking good so far.
For us, the proof is in the harvest...

An issue I'm seeing, other than cost, is to truly get the max potential of LED, you almost have to match the wattage of HID. Certainly not half as some claim. If you've say a 600w HPS in a tent, a 300 or 400w LED will not keep up. You almost need double the output (900w LED or so) to keep up with HID. So, the power draw is still lower & no ballast/heat, but not quite what a lot are claiming.

Some might refute this, but take a real honest objective look at their harvest without all the hype, excitement or exaggeration. Worries me, but I'm optimistic. Lots of those might've been lack of grow experience. I still don't see above average yields, nor comparable to HID with the exception of the big time, high dollar fixtures. I'm staying open to all issues though.

I think you'll see the power rule varies depending on the LED quality used. The hand built Osrams I'm running draw 310w from the wall & I'd say they'd outperform a 600w HPS & maybe even match a 1000w in a 4x4 space. If I were to light the same 4x4 with a Mars 1200, I would see a 600w draw & the coverage wouldn't be as good as the Osrams & I think you'd be lucky to match a 600w HPS for yield.

I've noticed the same with TopLED vs CFL in my veg room. Even with the CFL overhead, if the plants get a whiff of the LED they head straight to it :)

I've noticed the same with TopLED vs CFL in my veg room. Even with the CFL overhead, if the plants get a whiff of the LED they head straight to it :)
To that I can testify Dr. Monster...

Back
Top Bottom