Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL - LED

Re: Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL -

No gnats in my grow room! Tons of organic matter being kept constantly moist with a swick and mulch.

Gnats are easy to get rid of lol. Why the doubt about Cilantro Doc?

I suppose unless some active ingredient in cilantro kills the larvae, the Cilantro may be pointless for gnats. Have you not had success with the bti mosquito dunks Sue?

I have no doubt that if I applied the dunk-infused water to my pots with any regularity it would do the trick. However.... :laughtwo: Not having to think about watering keeps throwing me off. The neem will do the trick.

That SWICK is a powerful tool. I've been watching DrZiggy play with his using HB kit soil and they're doing amazingly well. I'd kill my plants without mine, no doubt. I need to jump back and see at what point DrZiggy set his on the SWICK.

Re: Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL -

Somewhere in the makeup of cilantro lies the secret of its pest-resistant powers. My money is on the essential oils (which would repel insects) and anti-bacterial chemicals.

Coriandrum Sativum has a high grade list of nutritional constituents and health benefits. The herb consists of Iron, Magnesium, Vitamins A, B, and C. There are certain essential oils present in the seeds of the Coriandrum Sativum. These include Lenoleic acid, Ascorbic acid, Palmitic acid, Oleic acid, Stearic acid. The herb is a rich source of dietary fiber and mineral and anti bacterial chemicals that alph-pinene, Beta —Phelendrene, Cineole and Borneol.

I think there might be something to that "trusted source" Doc.

I knew if anyone here would enjoy it and take initiative to learn, it would be you Sue. CC / LD is full of great info and sources to send a person reading and comprehending for years.

Have you read anything on "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love? " Fun reads, not growing info.

One of his many talents Duggan. I may have to call on you when I get around to hooking up the ventilation system. I have no idea what I'm doing and he's locked into this nursing home for another month it looks like. AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

When I get ready to hook up maybe we can set a time and you can look over my shoulder so I don't screw it up? I still have to figure out how to afford it. Haven't taken the time to pay the bills yet. Maybe tonight would be a good time for that.

I haven't looked at systems yet. Any recommendations?

Oh...i gotcha SS...he's not licenced but knows a thing or two about it? Yes btw ,any time you need help or have any Q's. at all to do with hydro....just ask. I'l be pissed at ya if you don't. Just bounce stuff off me if ya want ,however that's cool. I can guide you thru whatever you need to know. Are you talking about an exhaust ,filtering combo?Cheers and have a great night .....Duggs.

Somewhere in the makeup of cilantro lies the secret of its pest-resistant powers. My money is on the essential oils (which would repel insects) and anti-bacterial chemicals.

Coriandrum Sativum has a high grade list of nutritional constituents and health benefits. The herb consists of Iron, Magnesium, Vitamins A, B, and C. There are certain essential oils present in the seeds of the Coriandrum Sativum. These include Lenoleic acid, Ascorbic acid, Palmitic acid, Oleic acid, Stearic acid. The herb is a rich source of dietary fiber and mineral and anti bacterial chemicals that alph-pinene, Beta –Phelendrene, Cineole and Borneol.

In theory you are correct! Is there a difference between theory and practice? In theory no.....

You certainly don't have to listen to me. Shoot, you can even say I'm wrong. Theoretically speaking of course. You've added Neem and Karanja to the soil for IPM and you've used other teas/drenches for the same reason. In theory, the gnats shouldn't be there, correct?

In theory you are correct! Is there a difference between theory and practice? In theory no.....

You certainly don't have to listen to me. Shoot, you can even say I'm wrong. Theoretically speaking of course. You've added Neem and Karanja to the soil for IPM and you've used other teas/drenches for the same reason. In theory, the gnats shouldn't be there, correct?

I've also added neem/karanja meal to my soil, and do neem foliar every 10 days or so. No neem drenches or mosquito dunks. No gnats. I had spider mites with my dry straw mulch, but that's not a problem now. No bugs and my environment is far from perfect. I'm learning from myself and others, yourself included doc. Thank you for the patience and willingness to answer questions. It helps me expand my learning and growing ability.

I forgot to post this earlier. Potential staring me right in the face.

image24634.jpg

I knew if anyone here would enjoy it and take initiative to learn, it would be you Sue. CC / LD is full of great info and sources to send a person reading and comprehending for years.

Have you read anything on "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love? " Fun reads, not growing info.

No I haven't 36, but I'll be sure to look into it. I want to thank you for stimulating my curiosity today and sending me on that research trip. Love those little adventures. I always come away having learned so much.

Coots is constantly making my brain explode. He tosses out those tidbits and suddenly you're up to your elbows in reading, fighting to understand it. I find him incredibly stimulating. They just accepted me right into the group like I'd been there all along. I'm drawn to the genius, but they're not my home and they're ok with that. It's nice they let me pick their brains so openly.

One of my teachers in 6th grade used to say, "I wish I could open your skulls and pour in the knowledge for you but I can't. You have to do the work and learn yourself." :reading420magazine:
Boy, how many times have I felt the same way in life. You know like when you are trying to help a person get healthy or stop doing that thing that gets them into trouble ;)

Coriandrum Sativum has a high grade list of nutritional constituents and health benefits. The herb consists of Iron, Magnesium, Vitamins A, B, and C. There are certain essential oils present in the seeds of the Coriandrum Sativum. These include Lenoleic acid, Ascorbic acid, Palmitic acid, Oleic acid, Stearic acid. The herb is a rich source of dietary fiber and mineral and anti bacterial chemicals that alph-pinene, Beta —Phelendrene, Cineole and Borneol.

Very Good info, there is more to nutrition than vitamins and minerals, there are enzymes, acids, lipids, and all sorts of things as you listed. +reps If people would put this much research into what they eat we wouldn't have any health issues to support the medical and pharma industries, farmers would be all organic and considered with the respect they used to and would clearly deserve.

One of my teachers in 6th grade used to say, "I wish I could open your skulls and pour in the knowledge for you but I can't. You have to do the work and learn yourself." :reading420magazine:
Boy, how many times have I felt the same way in life. You know like when you are trying to help a person get healthy or stop doing that thing that gets them into trouble ;)

"When I Do I Learn". The motto for early childhood, or was at the university I got my degree from.

I know what you mean. :laughtwo: Two things save me here; first off, I know I can only really change my mother's eldest daughter. Tolerance has been extended to me many times in my life, so I figure I can allow someone else to be human too.

Secondly, I am living proof of how difficult it can be to allow positive change to occur in your life. If I can make it happen in my world I'm sure someone else can get there in their own time.

My daughter and I were having a related conversation just a while ago. She was instrumental in getting me back to Callanetics. She had dropped a significant amount of weight and had begun doing them on her own. After a month of watching her body change I couldn't resist anymore. Today I am transformed as a result of that moment when she tempted me with her success.

She has since stopped doing Callanetics and has regained every pound. As her mother - who taught a doctrine of acceptance and love - I have waited for her to come back. I stay as consistent with my own Callanetics, in part, with hopes of motivating her purely by the excitement of my own success. It's difficult to stay quiet, but I know it's the only way to make it work for her. Lately she has been making gestures. It's like coaxing a wild animal out of hiding. Gentleness and love. They feel it and in time react. It's the "in time" part that hangs so much of us up. :laughtwo:

Hey Sue,

I watched the Jeff Lowenfel lecture again and I took notes and wrote a little report about it. That way the information could just be here at 420. I think people might be more likely to read something than go over to youtube. The video is at the end of the report if they would rather hear it from the guy who knows what he's talking about. :)

Just thought I would share the link.

You Cant Grow Organic Without The Soil Food Web

The teas and drenches I've used are for soil community resources supply. The only thing I've done so far to combat gnats was the use of dunks, which depend on a level of consistency I've failed at all along the way. On top of that I added more organic matter to the mulch. So, the truth of the matter is I complicated the situation. It will resolve itself with the addition of neem. In time the gnats will be a non-concern.

So in theory, given my abysmal attempts at gnat control, my house should be populated with gnats. It is, I assure you. :laughtwo: I have a rare tolerance for insect life. When I start to actually apply the principles of some decent IPM we will see how the practice thing works.

I'm not the only person growing like this. These are proven techniques. My inability to control my own situation should in no way be a reflection on the effectiveness of things like neem and cilantro or companion planting to control pests, or the use of enzyme teas to stimulate the plant and the soil to participate in the growth cycle in a desired way. Doesn't that sound familiar? These techniques practiced by gardeners working in living organic soil are just another way of achieving the same goal, which is growing healthy cannabis with little effort. We're pretty successful at what we do too.

Hey Sue,

I watched the Jeff Lowenfel lecture again and I took notes and wrote a little report about it. That way the information could just be here at 420. I think people might be more likely to read something than go over to youtube. The video is at the end of the report if they would rather hear it from the guy who knows what he's talking about. :)

Just thought I would share the link.

You Cant Grow Organic Without The Soil Food Web

How impressed am I SweetLeef! Great work getting that up. A good resource for the community. Thanks.

Daily Update: Dark Devil Auto - Day 45

Wow! Already at 45 days.

image24687.jpg

Look at her go. Almost an inch overnight. This one is prone to growth spurts. :blushsmile:

image24688.jpg

The clover is becoming very mature. I'll have to research to find what causes these black lines. I've no recollection of this before.

image24689.jpg

Stacking up.

image24690.jpg

image24691.jpg

image24692.jpg

I think another seed dropped down right about here....

image24694.jpg

.....or maybe over here. :laughtwo:

image24695.jpg

Zoom in on this one. The trichomes are amazing. So beautifully formed already.

image24693.jpg

image24696.jpg

image24714.jpg

image24715.jpg

image24716.jpg

image24717.jpg

image24718.jpg

image24719.jpg

Before. I go let me give her soil a spray. Try to work in a bit more of the top dress and possibly activate the BTI in the dunks. One can hope, eh ? :laughtwo:

image24720.jpg

I leave you today with this wondrous piece of fantasy. Looks like it belongs in another dimension, doesn't it?

Have a splendid day everyone. Spread the joy far and wide. Today is my best friend 's birthday so I'm singing with joy all day long. You'll have to catch up. I know you can. :laughtwo::green_heart:

image24721.jpg

Mr. Rogers practiced his love here in my hometown. Dale once had the joy of putting his fish tank together for him at the TV studio. An impressive man who was always surrounded by peacefulness.

We have a Caring Foundation that assists children who are caught in the terrors of grief. Mr. Rogers was instrumental in getting this foundation up and running. It's one of his greatest legacies. These wise words frame his picture in the window of their downtown offices. We could all stand to listen to them.

"Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness. It takes strength to face our sadness and to grieve, and to let our grief and anger flow as tears when they need to. It takes strength to talk about our feelings and to reach out for help and comfort when we need it.

It is only natural that we and our children find many things hard to talk about.

But anything human is mentionable, and anything mentionable is manageable.

The mentioning can be difficult and the managing too, but both can be done if we're surrounded by love and trust."

- Fred Rogers (my hero :love:)

Mr. Rogers practiced his love here in my hometown. Dale once had the joy of putting his fish tank together for him at the TV studio. An impressive man who was always surrounded by peacefulness.

We have a Caring Foundation that assists children who are caught in the terrors of grief. Mr. Rogers was instrumental in getting this foundation up and running. It's one of his greatest legacies. These wise words frame his picture in the window of their downtown offices. We could all stand to listen to them.

"Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness. It takes strength to face our sadness and to grieve, and to let our grief and anger flow as tears when they need to. It takes strength to talk about our feelings and to reach out for help and comfort when we need it.

It is only natural that we and our children find many things hard to talk about.

But anything human is mentionable, and anything mentionable is manageable.

The mentioning can be difficult and the managing too, but both can be done if we're surrounded by love and trust."

- Fred Rogers (my hero :love:)

This is worth repeating...

im in love with the very last picture , would love that blown up and hung in my bedroom lol ... great shot Sue

Thank you for the compliment Professor. :love:

Feel free. Dale just said the same thing to me about three minutes ago, right before I pulled this post up. :laughtwo::green_heart:

SweetSue's CHANGE OF PLANS

I've been watching DrZiggy pull off the perpetual garden I was dreaming of when I started this adventure, before I found this wonderful forum. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to control the size of the plants. Ziggy figured out that a combination of smaller pots and an 11/13 lighting schedule would achieve just that. Then he threw them onto a SWICK and my blood began to pump faster.

Yesterday, as I prepared to start setting up the tent, I decided that it's totally ridiculous to even consider planting a big pot, when I was watching DrZiggy live out my vision. I'll be shifting gears and setting up a system that mirrors his, starting my first set of pots this month and adding on another every month until I have three going. That gives me time to set up the CFL array for the next set, and to purchase some T5s for the veg stage that will follow in the third month.

This first group will have the LED and CFL supplementation all the way through, since they're the first group. At the end of two months I'll have a shelf for the seedlings under CFLs, a shelf for vegging under T5s and a finish area under the LED with side lighting from CFLs. One month under each, give or take some stragglers. After it's running smoothly you harvest every 4-6 weeks. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.

I decided to get started. I had a drainage tray from my first grow, so I pulled it out, grabbed the bag of perlite and some water and went to work. I am ashamed to report that I neglected to use a mask (I know, I know - one of these days I'll play smarter). Set a better example than I did.

image24726.jpg

image24728.jpg

There was this interesting technique that just kind of happened. I quickly dumped the perlite in and went away for a few minutes to let the dust settle. Then I came back and started spreading it around, very gently shifting it back and forth with my fingers as I worked it from center out. An instinctive move that had the effect of packing it in more uniformly. When I get home I'll see how much higher I can pile the perlite. After it's saturated you can mound it somewhat. Maybe design some towers of perlite that the pots perch on. Hmmmmm.

After filling it with about a gallon of water I discovered that I'd forgotten about the fact that there isn't a level floor in our apartment when a stream of water began trickling over the back right corner to form a little puddle in the corner of the tent. :laughtwo:

I cleaned up the mess and leveled it with that little piece of strategically placed wood you see jutting from the right front. I'll make that safer when I get home tonight. Another set of crates will replace that singular one. Safety first.

I decided on eight pots to start. I'll be planting another seed in the LOS pot with the Dark Devil and then 5 of the azalea pots will be planted with the HB kit soil and the other 3 in LOS.

image24729.jpg

I'll pot the soil up tonight and post a picture.

We're about to do something very interesting here. I'm pretty damned excited. :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom