The G8-600 - Doc Bud Tries LED Again

I expect about a week from now we'll see some pistils.

I entertain offers from many companies! I choose carefully, because I need to grow the best I can possibly grow. T

These G8 lights have a great spectrum, high PAR, UV, and with the UFO, boosted red.

I only have one issue with them:

The LED's run on 220 or 110, but the UFO's only run on 110. That sucks, IMO, because I have one of those switches that turns on 4 lights at a time on 220.....which means I need a seperate circuit for the 110....which is a PITA.

They really need to put a little piggy-back plug on the large panels so the UFO can just plug right in. Other than that, I love these lights!

And, despite my bitching about plugs (whaaah, whaaah, no plugs) the G8 performs its most important task----growing my plants---very, very well!

Doc....hold on bro....there may be a way to have your 120 v. ufo's come on with that 240 v. circuit.First off,there is no such voltage as 220!It's 240v. With a single phase system(like most of us have)there are two hot conductors one neutral,and a ground. The voltage across the two hot leads is always right around 240v. Voltage to ground on just one of those conductors should be 120v. If your wiring to the leds required a neutral, you can use only one of the hot (240v.) wires and the neutral.....got it Doc? Your switch or timer will turn on and off both hot leads, including the one you chose for your 120v UFO's.That can only work if your 240v hook-up to the lights has a neutral. Hope I've explained it ok! People say 220 a lot....there is no such thing....only if the incoming voltage from Hydro company is low....that's the only way youl'e get 220v. from a single phase system. Cheers Doc. and have a great morning bro!

Doc....hold on bro....there may be a way to have your 120 v. ufo's come on with that 240 v. circuit.First off,there is no such voltage as 220!It's 240v. With a single phase system(like most of us have)there are two hot conductors one neutral,and a ground. The voltage across the two hot leads is always right around 240v. Voltage to ground on just one of those conductors should be 120v. If your wiring to the leds required a neutral, you can use only one of the hot (240v.) wires and the neutral.....got it Doc? Your switch or timer will turn on and off both hot leads, including the one you chose for your 120v UFO's.That can only work if your 240v hook-up to the lights has a neutral. Hope I've explained it ok! People say 220 a lot....there is no such thing....only if the incoming voltage from Hydro company is low....that's the only way youl'e get 220v. from a single phase system. Cheers Doc. and have a great morning bro!

I follow you bro....I'm just not keen on opening up the box and removing a hot wire. Wanna come over?

I follow you bro....I'm just not keen on opening up the box and removing a hot wire. Wanna come over?

LMFAO..... I'de love to come over bro! Or should we say down. Well , you get it....that's the main thing. Doc....it's not hard.Just turn off that two pole breaker feeding that 240v. circuit,tape it up or something ,so no body can turn it back on until your done working on it.Open up that box,run your ufo cable to it....and hook it up. Use one hot ,the white(neutral) and the ground (bare or green).Problem solved.Remember...that will only work if there is a "neutral" in that box! Cheers bud!

Doc....the small increase in current from the two ufo's is very little,so all will be fine! should not cause the two pole breaker to trip off.At 120v they draw very little current....I think it's only about an amp if I recall correctly(I'm at work so can't check that right now).You can always put one ufo on one leg...and the other ufo on the remaining leg.

Sometimes I feel like quiting my job to just travel around ,helping out brother growers get their electrical shit straight!It would be fun....maybe if I win the lotto!:yahoo:

When i move and start a new room you will be the first person i call. i will even pay you! I dont trust myself with electrical.

When i move and start a new room you will be the first person i call. i will even pay you! I dont trust myself with electrical.

I can do basic wiring of plugs, junction boxes, etc. I understand the other stuff, but I'm no pro and I'm afraid of fires and dark buildings due to shorts, etc.

The other reason I'm not going to alter the wiring on the switch is because if I make a mistake I could BBQ the lights....and that would be foolish.

So, an extension cord to a 110 outlet on a timer will have to suffice until the DormGrow guys put another outlet on the large panels in order to daisy chain with the UFO's.

It's really a minor point, however. It took less than 10 minutes to install the UFO's. It's done, they work, plants are growing just fine. That's the important part.

I can do basic wiring of plugs, junction boxes, etc. I understand the other stuff, but I'm no pro and I'm afraid of fires and dark buildings due to shorts, etc.

The other reason I'm not going to alter the wiring on the switch is because if I make a mistake I could BBQ the lights....and that would be foolish.

So, an extension cord to a 110 outlet on a timer will have to suffice until the DormGrow guys put another outlet on the large panels in order to daisy chain with the UFO's.

It's really a minor point, however. It took less than 10 minutes to install the UFO's. It's done, they work, plants are growing just fine. That's the important part.

Doc, I understand bro....If ya get it wrong you could really mess things up ,that's for sure. Your idea to make 120v. available with the "daisy chain" idea is a good one ,and G8 would be wise to alter their lites for this very convenient upgrade! Would make things a whole lot easier,that's for sure. Have a great day bud ,and oh ya...my two G8 240wb's are here and will be both in operation tonight. Got one yesterday,and the other has been delivered,according to USPS tracking..YEE Haw!:cheer:

Hey Blazin....No probs bro.When and if you need some help and ,or advice you got it! I will not except any payment, a simple thanks will do.Just feel good to give something back to the 420 community. Let me know eh....and i'l pm you with any info you need.Cheers and have a great night!:thumb:

I can build multi-million dollar homes from start to finish...everything from foundation to shingles and everything in between....but I refuse to mess with electricity!

What does that G8-600 compare too HID wise? I haven't grown in a while but when I did I always used HID's. I mean does it compare to 400w, 600w, or 1000w? These led's are so new to me

What does that G8-600 compare too HID wise? I haven't grown in a while but when I did I always used HID's. I mean does it compare to 400w, 600w, or 1000w? These led's are so new to me

In this particular grow the G8600 is replacing a 1000 watt HPS. Two G8's replacing two 1000 watt HID's over a 3x6 tray with 8 plants.

I just gave them a good drench today, followed by a pruning of lower branches and suckers and I sprayed with DeStress.

Every leaf I trimmed was perfect, every leaf left on the plants is perfect. Nothing out of place, nothing burnt...nothing yellow, everything perky and green.

Pics tomorrow.

Well, there's not a bad leaf in the whole bunch. These plants are healthy, growing.....pretty much pristine and perfect.

We can safely conclude that the lights are kicking ass.

Picture_02964.jpg

Picture_02868.jpg

Picture_020100.jpg

Picture_019100.jpg

Picture_018109.jpg

Picture_017103.jpg

Picture_015130.jpg

Looking amazing! So healthy and dark green. Dont be afraid to pull a few fan leaves to let light in to the lower parts of the plant ;)

Looking amazing! So healthy and dark green. Dont be afraid to pull a few fan leaves to let light in to the lower parts of the plant ;)

I did exactly that on Sunday. If you look carefully, you'll see that you can see the soil looking straight down. I always use simple, but effective pruning techniques...basic gardening skills.

However, I don't necessarily pull fan leaves off, I trim off entire lower branches and "suckers" that sprout mid branch and grow straight up, etc. In case someone wanted to copy this grow....not a bad idea for a new grower, the lights and fertilizer I'm using are "off the shelf" and can be purchased by anyone.....anyways, here's what I do to the plants.

I take clones from vegging plants when I prune them up getting ready for the bloom phase.

When the clones are rooted, I trim off the roots and stick 'em back in another 3 or 4 days till more roots are showing. These get put into 1 or 2 gallon pots, depending on various factors. After they have 5 or so sets of leaves, I top them to obtain at least 3 main colas...sometimes more, depending on growth.

As these veg out, right before I flower them I trim, from the bottom up, everything except the top 3 to 5 nodes on the main cola branches. Some strains I leave only 3 nodes unpruned, other strains up to 5. It just depends. I trimmed these on this grow with the top 4 nodes intact. This is where I take clones.

Those plants I mentioned above often go into bloom the same day, or sometimes a day or two later, depending on how much room I have in the bloom room.

They go in with 3 to 5 nodes...and in two weeks I'll have to prune again, from the bottom up, taking all the little stuff and suckers off. That's what I just got done doing on Sunday. They'll take off now.

Picture_020100.jpg

Picture_018109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom