Great info Them! I think Harvey Weinstein got to Mamma G ;). And little JH, so cute!

Still wondering how to figure in the dry supplements into the calculations. FoxFarms recommends ¼ tsp Open Sesame but since everything else is in milliliters I can't just multiply and then add up the numbers like he does in the video (and Dobewan did in his description). Anyone have any idea on this?

Great info Them! I think Harvey Weinstein got to Mamma G ;). And little JH, so cute!

Still wondering how to figure in the dry supplements into the calculations. FoxFarms recommends ¼ tsp Open Sesame but since everything else is in milliliters I can't just multiply and then add up the numbers like he does in the video (and Dobewan did in his description). Anyone have any idea on this?
Yes. Use same as liquid. 1 tsp = 4.93 ml

So I would calculate your quarter tsp to be just over 1 ml. Now normally I would say for all "intents and purposes" (never knew I was saying this wrong) guesstimate but that's like 8.35.19 or something no? So the nuances matter a TAD more. But not significantly. Or just fill your 1/4 tsp 5/6ths way full..... And call it a ml!

But I would assume that's the deal. They say 1 tsp I'm hydro. Or (about) 5ml.

That's 5x35.... 175 for the P level.... mine only hit like 30 total just for reference.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't need much. And you can count your 1/4 tsp as 1 ml (1.23 if you please)

So I would calculate your quarter tsp to be just over 1 ml. Now normally I would say for all intensive purposes guesstimate but that's like 8.35.19 or something no? So the nuances matter a TAD more. But not significantly. Or just fill your 1/4 tsp 5/6ths way full..... And call it a ml!
That's 5x35.... 175 for the P level.... mine only hit like 30 total just for reference.
I guess what I'm saying is you don't need much. And you can count your 1/4 tsp as 1 ml (1.23 if you please)
Hmmm...never occurred to me to use dry measure the same as liquid. So 5-45-19 (if I use the "close to 1ml" theory) would just go in as that. Thanks!

I’m in a pretty similar situation to @Ripe1. I have 2 ViparSpectras, so as Derby and Dabber suggests I get a little better coverage from having 2 lights. But my light penetration is poor. My training is a reflection of the limitations of my lighting.

I’m trying to piece together information now for use in the future. The key driver to me is smell. I can’t close my tent up and maintain ideal flowering environment running 2 warm LEDs. I want to bring down the temperature so that I can at least maintain performance with my tent closed. That means reducing heat and I don’t see getting there without lights that run cooler.

I’m leaning towards buying in the fall but a little worried about Canadian legalization impacting availability up here, so I’m thinking I’ll slowly piece together my solution over time so that it’s not a big hit to the budget.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

So I would calculate your quarter tsp to be just over 1 ml. Now normally I would say for all "intents and purposes" (never knew I was saying this wrong) guesstimate but that's like 8.35.19 or something no? So the nuances matter a TAD more. But not significantly. Or just fill your 1/4 tsp 5/6ths way full..... And call it a ml!

It’s really hard to find good info out there. Seems this conversion is an inexact science.

What I ended up doing for my week 6 feed with powdered KoolBloom was this. I knew my target PPM was about 800, and I knew my KoolBloom powder would add about 200 PPM. So, I figured my NPK for the KoolBloom of 2-45-28 was about 1/4 of the total makeup of the solution. I calculated the NPK of the solution otherwise, then calculated a rough ratio make up 75% of my liquid solution NPK and 25% of my powder NPK.

So if the rest of my solution was 1-1-1 and my KB component was 2-45-28, my overall NPK would be about 5-48-31, or about 1-10-6. I can’t remember exactly what I mixed in but this should illustrate the math I used.

I’m sure it’s not perfect but it’s in the ballpark and the plants are liking it so far, so I’m happy.

It’s really hard to find good info out there. Seems this conversion is an inexact science.
What I ended up doing for my week 6 feed with powdered KoolBloom was this. I knew my target PPM was about 800, and I knew my KoolBloom powder would add about 200 PPM. So, I figured my NPK for the KoolBloom of 2-45-28 was about 1/4 of the total makeup of the solution. I calculated the NPK of the solution otherwise, then calculated a rough ratio make up 75% of my liquid solution NPK and 25% of my powder NPK.
So if the rest of my solution was 1-1-1 and my KB component was 2-45-28, my overall NPK would be about 5-48-31, or about 1-10-6. I can’t remember exactly what I mixed in but this should illustrate the math I used.
I’m sure it’s not perfect but it’s in the ballpark and the plants are liking it so far, so I’m happy.
Thanks Dobe! I have to say I didn't follow the calculations you made there, but it looks like what you did was back into the math using PPM. Is that correct?

I still don’t get it man too many numbers but you do make it sound easy . Maybe just slow it down a bit more bro when speaking I mean there is a rewind button i guess but thanks for trying to help me understand ✌

I’m in a pretty similar situation to @Ripe1. I have 2 ViparSpectras, so as Derby and Dabber suggests I get a little better coverage from having 2 lights. But my light penetration is poor. My training is a reflection of the limitations of my lighting.

I’m trying to piece together information now for use in the future. The key driver to me is smell. I can’t close my tent up and maintain ideal flowering environment running 2 warm LEDs. I want to bring down the temperature so that I can at least maintain performance with my tent closed. That means reducing heat and I don’t see getting there without lights that run cooler.

I’m leaning towards buying in the fall but a little worried about Canadian legalization impacting availability up here, so I’m thinking I’ll slowly piece together my solution over time so that it’s not a big hit to the budget.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

I have always left the top of my grow unit open, to dissipate the heat. I run 2 Mars 300's in my 3' x 3' enclosure.

Thanks Dobe! I have to say I didn't follow the calculations you made there, but it looks like what you did was back into the math using PPM. Is that correct?
I definitely left some stuff out. Let me try to restate a little more clearly. Hopefully this won’t just add more confusion. But it’s quite long in an attempt to clarify. Also working values are illustrative although I’m pretty sure I have the KB powder’s NPK correct.

All I’m doing is using the PPM of the solution to roughly figure out their impact on my final NPK value.

Let’s say I have a liquid solution and a powder additive. My powder additive added to water in isolation measures out to 2-45-28, 200 PPM. My liquid solution is 1-1-1, 600 PPM.

I know the powder’s NPK because it’s written in the bag. The PPM is too, but I can test that - take plain water, measure PPM before I add it, then measure it after and see the difference. I know the liquid’s NPK because I measured it out (Ase’s thread has a good description of calculating based on liquids in the solution). I know its PPM from measuring it in the same way I could with my powder.

What I did, because I couldn’t find a better way, was to then combine and recalculate based on their proportion of the total.

I figured my total PPM was 800, so my 1-1-1 solution at 600 PPM was 3/4 of the total, and my 2-45-28 at 200 PPM was 1/4 of the total. 3 parts of 1-1-1 ratio gives me raw values of 3-3-3. Add that to my 1 part of 2-45-28, and I get 5-48-31. That’s the equivalent of 1-9.6-6.2.

You could also do the math this way:

0.75 x 1-1-1 = 0.75-0.75-0.75
0.25 x 2-45-28 = 0.5-11.25-7

Added up that’s 1.25-12-7.75. Divide all by 1.25 (to get the formula down to start with a whole number) and you end up back at 1-9.6-6.2.
Let’s say I didn’t want to feed 1-9.6-6.2. The way I’d do that would be to change the solution I’m mixing with. Let’s say I want to hit 1-6-5 instead with 800 PPM.

First my powder, which is 1/4 if my total:

But I don’t know my solution I’m mixing into. I need to add values that get it to 600 PPM, but that will reduce the final mix to 1-6-5.

I can’t just add a solution that gets me to 1-6-5 because the P and K values already exceed 6 and 5. So I need to add enough of each so that when I divide by the N value, the P and K values hit 6 and 5. 2-12-10, for example, is the same as 1-6-5.

I could add 1.5-0.75-3 and I’d hit my target - 2-12-10. 1.5-0.75-3 reduces to 2-1-4. So, I know if I have 600 PPM of a 2-1-4 solution, I’ll hit my mark.

0.75 x 2-1-4 = 1.5-0.75-3

Total is 2-12-10. Which is 1-6-5.

Let’s say instead that I wanted to hit 1-3-3, 600 with the KoolBloom powder. I know my KB powder is at that 2-45-28 with 200 PPM. That means the KB solution is 1/3 of my total (200/600). I would want my solution into which I mix the KB powder to thus be 400 PPM.

Going back to my math:

0.33 x 2-45-28 = 0.67-15-9.33.

Again I can’t just add to hit 1-3-3 since I’ve already exceeded it. I need to hit a value that divides down to 1-3-3.

5-15-15 would do it for example. If I add 4.33-0-5.67 I hit my 10-30-30.

Therefore:

0.67 x N-P-K = 4.33-0-5.67

Dividing all values by 0.67 leaves me with 6.5-0-13.9 as my NPK.

So, if I add 400 PPM of 6.5-0-13.9 and 200 PPM of 2-45-28, my resulting solution should be 1-3-3.

0.67 x 6.5-0-13.9 = 4.33-0-5.67
0.33 x 2-45-28 = 0.67-15-9.33

For a total of 5-15-15, or 1-3-3.

What it all comes back to: I know my KB powder is 2-45-28 and 200 PPM at the amount I want to feed (the GH recommended dose). If that solution is 25% of my total PPM, or 50%, or whatever, I can do some math to figure out the NPK of the solution I add the KB powder to, to get as close as possible on my target NPK while being right in with my target PPM.

I definitely left some stuff out. Let me try to restate a little more clearly. Hopefully this won’t just add more confusion. But it’s quite long in an attempt to clarify. Also working values are illustrative although I’m pretty sure I have the KB powder’s NPK correct.
All I’m doing is using the PPM of the solution to roughly figure out their impact on my final NPK value.
Let’s say I have a liquid solution and a powder additive. My powder additive added to water in isolation measures out to 2-45-28, 200 PPM. My liquid solution is 1-1-1, 600 PPM.
I know the powder’s NPK because it’s written in the bag. The PPM is too, but I can test that - take plain water, measure PPM before I add it, then measure it after and see the difference. I know the liquid’s NPK because I measured it out (Ase’s thread has a good description of calculating based on liquids in the solution). I know its PPM from measuring it in the same way I could with my powder.
What I did, because I couldn’t find a better way, was to then combine and recalculate based on their proportion of the total.
I figured my total PPM was 800, so my 1-1-1 solution at 600 PPM was 3/4 of the total, and my 2-45-28 at 200 PPM was 1/4 of the total. 3 parts of 1-1-1 ratio gives me raw values of 3-3-3. Add that to my 1 part of 2-45-28, and I get 5-48-31. That’s the equivalent of 1-9.6-6.2.
You could also do the math this way:
0.75 x 1-1-1 = 0.75-0.75-0.75
Added up that’s 1.25-12-7.75. Divide all by 1.25 (to get the formula down to start with a whole number) and you end up back at 1-9.6-6.2.
Let’s say I didn’t want to feed 1-9.6-6.2. The way I’d do that would be to change the solution I’m mixing with. Let’s say I want to hit 1-6-5 instead with 800 PPM.
First my powder, which is 1/4 if my total:
But I don’t know my solution I’m mixing into. I need to add values that get it to 600 PPM, but that will reduce the final mix to 1-6-5.
I can’t just add a solution that gets me to 1-6-5 because the P and K values already exceed 6 and 5. So I need to add enough of each so that when I divide by the N value, the P and K values hit 6 and 5. 2-12-10, for example, is the same as 1-6-5.
I could add 1.5-0.75-3 and I’d hit my target - 2-12-10. 1.5-0.75-3 reduces to 2-1-4. So, I know if I have 600 PPM of a 2-1-4 solution, I’ll hit my mark.
0.75 x 2-1-4 = 1.5-0.75-3
Total is 2-12-10. Which is 1-6-5.
Let’s say instead that I wanted to hit 1-3-3, 600 with the KoolBloom powder. I know my KB powder is at that 2-45-28 with 200 PPM. That means the KB solution is 1/3 of my total (200/600). I would want my solution into which I mix the KB powder to thus be 400 PPM.
Going back to my math:
0.33 x 2-45-28 = 0.67-15-9.33.
Again I can’t just add to hit 1-3-3 since I’ve already exceeded it. I need to hit a value that divides down to 1-3-3.
5-15-15 would do it for example. If I add 4.33-0-5.67 I hit my 10-30-30.
Therefore:
0.67 x N-P-K = 4.33-0-5.67
Dividing all values by 0.67 leaves me with 6.5-0-13.9 as my NPK.
So, if I add 400 PPM of 6.5-0-13.9 and 200 PPM of 2-45-28, my resulting solution should be 1-3-3.
0.67 x 6.5-0-13.9 = 4.33-0-5.67
0.33 x 2-45-28 = 0.67-15-9.33
For a total of 5-15-15, or 1-3-3.
What it all comes back to: I know my KB powder is 2-45-28 and 200 PPM at the amount I want to feed (the GH recommended dose). If that solution is 25% of my total PPM, or 50%, or whatever, I can do some math to figure out the NPK of the solution I add the KB powder to, to get as close as possible on my target NPK while being right in with my target PPM.
Thank you Dobe for taking the time to explain that and show the various examples. Perfect. :thanks: I've got it now. I'll have to begin by finding the TDS of my powder at the recommended strength so I can plug it into the calculations.
:thumb:

@Kingjoe83 I'll definitely be making a better video slower with more visuals. But I have to kind of go and find a good way to simplify it more... math is what my brain does best (I know not your average forgetful stoner bear!)

I always struggle to show my work as me teachers told me. So I'll try and do better at that. I just really wanna give back the knowledge I've acquired here in a simple easy to understand way, that would have helped me 6 months ago.

@AKgramma I know sorry it's a lot and it's confusing but don't get caught up in my mumbo jumbo. I'm just thinking out loud at the moment. Cause my goal is to get to where I can lay out a chart with only 3 nutrients. No need to test ppm or on. Just tell the new grower what and how much to use and when. So they can acclimate to the grow and focus on the bigger fundamental picture and not have to worry about the little things the first round.

I can't figure out why nutrient company's are so far off. I mean I get they want you to use more so you buy more but FFS!!! Gimme a break!

Anyways. The light is nearly complete waiting for the driver to show. My 120s had a different sized holes.... So I'm a few screws short, surprise! Haha.

Brotha @TheMadDabber

Seriously I’m just going to tell my slow ass brian to watch it until I get it . I kinda do .

Nonetheless Stella video brotha and please excuse me dude thank you for taking the time

Thanks for the video Dabbs! Perfect timing with that as it is where my head is after my nute switch. My bloom has more N than the grow??? I can't figure that one out yet. Still, I'm digging your vids man. Keep TheM coming! I'm afraid to come back tomorrow. You just keep doubling my homework load!

Thanks@DobeWan for the excellent rundown to follow up Dabber's insights! As far as your light and heat situation go I can offer a semi-cheap solution to get you through until you get cooler light. VICKS -Filtered COOLMOISTURE Humidifier Model V3100 -Brand New- | eBay I ran this to the ground. I'd say I noticed 5º - 8ºF increase when it broke and I was waiting for the new one. I like how it blows cool humid air into the tent.

You guys convinced me to get that light meter. I got a used one from Amazon that said it was working perfectly, but it wasn't. I opened it up and there was a broken wire in the sensor part. A quick soldering job later and I now have a fully functional meter for $80, thanks for the motivation. I've already rearranged my lights a bit to get higher readings everywhere. Some of the Amazon reviews mentioned adding a bit of hot glue to the wires and after opening it up I highly recommend that myself. There wasn't even an extra millimeter of wire in the sensor part. I didn't open the control part since the broken wire in the sensor fixed it.

I also jumped on the QB board train and got the 320 Watt Quantum Board Grow Light Kit from Timber. What do you guys think of this kit in a 4x4 (maybe with some supplemental lighting)? Seemed like an alright deal to me. I already have a bunch of 2020 aluminum extrusion to make a frame out of, I think it will be plenty sturdy. The frame is just to hold things together not dissipate heat right?

Back
Top Bottom