Amy Gardner Of Eden v1.1: Outdoor 420 Featuring Star Pupil x WeaponX, PCK, Lilly & Purple Satellite

Page 3, a bit late

That wallaby photo reminded me how they would scare the **** out of me
when walking into a group of them at night, **** jumping up everywhere
:thumb: I hear the kangaroos all around my room overnight, nibbling on the grass... and the wallaby sometimes too, nibbling on everything!

Welcome Gazoo :welcome: to my forest garden. Very pleased to have you along :passitleft:
personal invite....:love:
:welcome: Welcome Sue! And thank you for the kind words of appreciation :love: I love that folks enjoy it.
helps to have you grab me by the hand sometimes. :laughtwo:
:high-five:
Hope the cute jumper won't eat your garden. :blunt:
He will! Without even being given half a chance! Wallabies eat everything :eek: The kangaroos are a different story, mostly they only eat the grass grass (like lawn grass) and not much else - they’re like a herd grazing animal, usually in groups, multiple stomachs (like cows) and grass grazers. The Wallaby is a whole other world - usually solitary, eats anything, particularly likes banana peel ;)

Rest assured there is adequate protection for the canna plants - and our veggie garden :thumb:
...:ciao:...:popcorn:...I was pumped that the Lilly popped for you, then disappointed when she was mutant...hoping the next one grows proper...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...
Me too on all counts! :welcome: H00k - stoked for your company here. GO! Lilly #2! :high-five:

Hi Amy......I don't think I've ever gotten a notification when someone does that "@" thing. I just happened to see where you had invited someone else so I popped in. Of course I had to pull out my Sensi Norther Lights seeds and get out the mini microscope and look some over. I did not see any with white stuff at the umbilical end but did see one with itty bitty writing on it. Upon closer inspection it said "grow me next" :laugh: I was sad to see the NL beheaded as I was looking forward to seeing that grow outdoors. It would have been monumental I'm thinking. Good luck with your grow and the drought.

High Doc! :welcome:
I'll pull up a chair in the back.

:passitleft:
Cheers ween :passitleft: glad to have you :welcome:
Lurking in the background. Looks like a nice lineup. Best of luck growing trees Amy.
Thanks Derb’ ... little trees right!? :D Nice to have you along again, welcome. Lurk away :thumb:

And you always are invited beez! Thanks for joining :welcome:
Upon closer inspection it said "grow me next" :laugh:
:rofl: Fantastic! Seeds with instructions :laughtwo:

looking forward to seeing that grow outdoors

IKR! I was as well! c’est la vie hey? - stuff happens. Will have to get some more sometime.

And at this stage in my growing life there will be no monumental plants - I’m not equipped to grow monsters. I’m working on strategically late plantings for manageable sized plants ;) So the desire to see a NL giant would be, sadly, disappointed.

I'm in!!!
:ciao: Welcome to the forest garden Flump!

Never a dull moment eh! :smokin:
:thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake:

Lilly #2

Is that... :hmmmm:

50878FEC-0741-4E94-96DA-F807BC7738AE.jpeg

... a taproot?

1F8BEDED-1BD4-4816-9C20-120C0936FF15.jpeg

I’m not usually one to tamper with a rootling, for any reason, but this warranted gentle excavation. I used a tiny, sterilised, stainless steel spoon (that came with my VB11 vape Pen) and gently loosened the puck, then lifted the seed from underneath so that only peat touched the seed or root, not the tool :thumb:

FC7B4469-F065-4525-B2AB-838F276F6DE8.jpeg

Poor confused thing hasn’t got the gravitropism genes :laughtwo:

You can see that it was actually oriented the right way, just the taproot didn’t curl over the way it’s supposed to. Now that I think of it, Lilly #1 came up a fair bit off to the side of her puck too.

I’m not sure it can recover from this, but i reoriented it - not up the other way or anything, more sideways with a slight bend down on the taproot, trying to emulate what it’s supposed to do, which is this...
CB96A9CC-5721-4116-8A3F-2B8A35D5E568.png

I’m not sure how confident I am it will make a go of it from here. I’ve never had this happen before and I suppose that, now,
my 100% germination record
is kaput! :eek:

Again, more eventful than what’s really desirable but the show must go on! Back to the list. I dont know what I’ve got by way of sativa that fits the bill, or even hybrids... lemme see.
I don’t think I’ve ever had such an eventful start to a journal! So much excitement :smokin:

I've seen seeds coming out of paper towel with longer tails than that, so I think it will be fine. I would have put it in tail down though, because it needs to learn gravity!
I can see why you’d say that, but the way i see it, if I had done that the part that becomes the seedling would’ve been coming out at the bottom of the seed and you don’t want that, I don’t think.

:rofl: :rofl:

I was laughing so hard I couldn’t type ‘laugh’ :laughtwo:

So was I. :rofl:

I’ve had tap roots come up like that Amy, and once replanted with more accommodating orientation they were no worse for wear. :hug:

That’s cool then. :thanks: I am already comfortable with not dropping anything else for a week or so, so we’ll see how Lilly fares. The taproot did get some pretty hot sun for quite a few hours, so hopefully it can recover from that.

There’s a few candidates in the wings, just in case. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Weekly Update :ganjamon:

Even tho I dropped an early update because of ‘events’, I’ll aim to keep a close-to-weekly update as this grow goes forward.

So in summary of the week since sprout: Weather! We’ve had it all!

Well no hail or snow, so maybe not all, but we’ve had super hot temps and ripping winds during the day, cold nights, and amazingly low daytime humidity followed by days that barely got above 20ºC with cloud cover and smoke haze blocking out the sun and then yesterday, super hot again, although thankfully without the ripping winds. Not exactly ideal conditions for new seedlings, but they are mostly all surviving and, better yet, beginning to grow.

6C656071-D4FD-430D-BFF7-501FFE8E9240.jpeg

Also this week, we saw the decapitation of Northern Lights by some tiny critter that’s been getting into the outdoor seed raising zone, Lilly tuned out to be a mutant, and I discovered some fuzzy funk on my remaining Northern Lights seeds :eek: (I think I know what happened - lesson learned).

So, Northern Lights is off the roster, Pakistan Chitral Kush entered to take its place :love: and I dropped another Lilly seed.

Yesterday the raised bed got a soaking followed by a neem oil drench with Bti added to the water and, shock horror, I let it be mulched! :thedoubletake: Drought conditions are so bad I succumbed to the pressure :laughtwo:

039A5D10-3F8D-48C0-81EA-970AC3A2B321.jpeg

I read around the 420 site a bit for what Doc has to say about mulch and it’s fine to use with the kit when necessary outdoors. He recommends either rice straw or a mix of pine bark and pumice. I don’t have access to those easily (and don’t want to support the Australian rice industry - water thieves) so I went with what we use all over the garden, pea straw. Hope that’s ok! :nervous-guy:

I think it got put down too thick so I may get the helper to pull some out - it’s about 3-4” thick which seems too much to me but I know nothing about mulching, maybe it’s fine. I worry about getting the drenches through it when the time comes - we had 2ml of rain overnight and it only wet the top 1” of the mulch :hmmmm: Any thoughts about that are welcome. Do you think pulling it back to an inch or so is a better idea?
Lilly and PCK haven’t shown themselves yet, today is day 2 in the peat puck so, any minute now :popcorn:

Meanwhile, the seedlings are all at different stages of work on their 2nd node, despite the challenging conditions.
Go kids! :cheer:

The Purple Satellites
71D40EE7-6D64-45C1-9DFC-D7A6C7CBA825.jpeg

648B36D2-57AE-4CFE-8D3F-BEBCA60D2D92.jpeg

The Star Pupil x Weapon Xs
7E0C0D69-360B-492D-ACC3-689A2C4E3774.jpeg

B527B204-0D66-445E-B5F9-5971A1CFA6F1.jpeg

They’ve been left to hang there on the raised bed the last 4-5days so I’m stoked they’ve all survived so far :thumb:

They all got a full drench yesterday because the pots were almost completely dry (35% RH days and wind and heat will do that!). It was almost plain water, but it also had in it a little Tea, a tiny amount of TP and some Bti.

The round up of the week would’nt be complete if i didnt recap the abandoned auto project. I’ll type these words again so as to send the message loud and clear to my body and brain: I don’t commit to anything that needs to happen on a daily basis - Get it? Got it? Good! Hopefully I’ll learn one day. Growing autos in pots outside are more hassle than it’s worth - a few crazy environmental event and all bets are off! I’ve culled them both. I may throw a seed or 2 to into our veggie wicking beds like i did last year as they were kinda fun - we’ll see.

It’s nice to be settling in to another outdoor grow and I’m happy just having the phototperiod plants to care for.

The fires close to us have also meant that our forest is a bit of a shit-fight of birds at the moment. 70000 hectares of forest up in smoke is gonna displace a lot of birds! We have many that aren’t usually here and there’s a lot of shouting going on! All the bush is very stressed.

Meanwhile, 2ml of rain overnight ain’t gonna break any drought!

We’ve been refilling the bird baths more often than usual and putting out extra containers of water about the place as well, for the animals and birds that live near here. Some of you will remember the Old Man Wallaby that lived here since before us and was critter of the week on many occasions, and that he died sometime during last season (tribute to him in this post). Well, one of the younger swamp wallabies has been hanging around the edges the last few months. We think it’s a female and that it’s his offspring, perhaps. It’s super shy and flighty, mostly we see it disappearing super fast into the bush when we come out the door! But the drought conditions will make even the skittiest critter hold its ground, especially for water!

8D203A5C-18B1-45BD-8A09-20FE47EBB68C.jpeg

92A5BF69-945E-4E13-ADF9-FF462101049E.jpeg

So pretty! Welcome to the grow journal little one!

That dying fern all around there is a very telling indicator of the rough drought conditions... it never dies! It’s absolutely our gauge of how dry things are, and it’s telling us things are pretty dire. Rain is forecast for later this week - fingers crossed folks!

It’s super nice to be settling in to another outdoor grow - no fans, no noise, no tent zippers, just the sun and the wild machinations of Mother Nature. :love:

I hope everyone had an enjoyable and recharging weekend filled with your favourite cannabis.

I just can’t get Bubba Hash out of the bowl at the moment, it’s just so very nice :ganjamon:

Thanks all, for visiting!
:love:
:Namaste:

Hey @Amy Gardner ... we hope you get some rain soon!

Just curious ... have you found any difference in how Sativas or Indicas grow in your area?

And if you make it to the beach ... please take some photos ... we have snow on the ground right now ... :)

PS ... I'll give ya $10 bucks if you take a pic of Wally stoned :)

Back
Top Bottom